AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Joystick and/or control pad

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joystick

5 55.56%
  • Control pad

2 22.22%
  • Both

2 22.22%
Closed Thread

Thread: Fighting games: Joystick vs control pad

Sledgehammer vs. The Wall GFx is infamous around these parts GFx is infamous around these parts GFx is infamous around these parts GFx is infamous around these parts GFx is infamous around these parts GFx is infamous around these parts GFx is infamous around these parts GFx is infamous around these parts GFx is infamous around these parts GFx is infamous around these parts GFx is infamous around these parts GFx's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-11-2015 09:45 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Fighting games: Joystick vs control pad

In a similar to way to the "Keyboard or joystick" thread, we're to discuss two peripherals for one genre specifically, fighting games.
    Being an avid fan to these kinds of game, it's a really important question for someone like me.

First off, it depends on what kind of gaming environment you've been raised, if you're staying home and playing there, you're most likely going to respond control pad. If you're used to play out (mostly in arcades), then your weapon of preference is the joystick. I know that the latter one is a dying breed, with all those online

I'm going to point out the pros and cons of each one of them.
    (If you have any more you'd like to point out, just ask me which and I'm going to modify my post, if I feel it's needed)

Control Pad:
    +Very cheap to find one of good quality (And comes free most of the time!)
    +Everyone is familiar with the control pad
    +Lightweight and small
    -Hard to perform complex motions
    -Can't use all the keys in an easy manner (Mostly for 6 key fighting games)

Joystick:
    +Easy to perform complex motions
    +Easy to use all the keys
    -Quite costy to find one of good quality
    -Big and bulky
    -Hard to learn

Personally after reading this I'd probably say the control pad, I'm much much more familiar with the control pad but recently I bought a joystick, the Hori Real Arcade Pro 2, it costs quite a big buck. I'm not regretting it though, it's a nice addition to every fighting-game... gamer.
    I play a lot with characters, a la Zangief (or if you prefer with 360 degree motions), doing those with a control pad makes your thumb go "Ow!". Even worse is for characters that have 720 motions (i.e. Hugo from Street Fighter 3), it's basically impossible to do that motion with a control pad unless you're jumping or something, the joystick renders that move possible if you're fast enough.
    If you have competition at your local arcade, it's better to play with a joystick since every arcade is joystick-oriented.

I'm much more of a joystick person now, I grew up playing Street Fighter 2 with the SNES control pad but I changed my path recently due to the fact that I wanted to go play out and challenge people, it's fun.

One exception comes to my mind, the SSB series, I haven't seen people play with joysticks since it's a rather simple game and can be played with a control pad.

Made in Severa

We are Nemesis Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-23-2009 01:52 PM
    Threads

i went with control pad, as i cant use a joystick to save my life : (

Senior Member Chewbaka has a reputation beyond repute Chewbaka has a reputation beyond repute Chewbaka has a reputation beyond repute Chewbaka has a reputation beyond repute Chewbaka has a reputation beyond repute Chewbaka has a reputation beyond repute Chewbaka has a reputation beyond repute Chewbaka has a reputation beyond repute Chewbaka has a reputation beyond repute Chewbaka has a reputation beyond repute Chewbaka has a reputation beyond repute Chewbaka's Avatar
    Gil
    Festive
    Gifts Mario Boo Bleach Kon Laptop
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-28-2015 12:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I can use both if I wanted to, although I prefer Joysticks cause doing complex moves as R X stated is easier with them...and the fact that my thumb likes to slip up at the end of combos with a control pad makes me hate them....and I end up throwing them violently at the ground afterwards....thank god for carpets and soft beds!

Senior Member honeysenpai17 has a reputation beyond repute honeysenpai17 has a reputation beyond repute honeysenpai17 has a reputation beyond repute honeysenpai17 has a reputation beyond repute honeysenpai17 has a reputation beyond repute honeysenpai17 has a reputation beyond repute honeysenpai17 has a reputation beyond repute honeysenpai17 has a reputation beyond repute honeysenpai17 has a reputation beyond repute honeysenpai17 has a reputation beyond repute honeysenpai17 has a reputation beyond repute honeysenpai17's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-02-2008 02:04 PM
    Threads

Both, do what's comfortable for you and it's your choice

Senior Member rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch's Avatar
    Gil
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2014 05:35 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: lots of bits PSN ID: rf_switch Steam ID: lotsofbits

I prefer the joystick. Between getting started with SF2 in the arcades and playing fighting games on my Neo-Geo which came with joysticks I just prefer a joystick...although I can deal with a pad..

Senior Member Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-10-2011 02:34 AM
    Threads

I just baught the Nintendo Wii, and the Soul Calibur game.. Now this game requires joy stick and a control pad. So its very resorceful, but on the down side it takes alot of multi tasking.

z0mg I am GOD [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath]'s Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Beer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-18-2009 07:44 PM
    Threads

Prefer the stick, genuine arcade style ^_^; Besides you wouldn't use a control pad in a tournament now would you =/
    [You can't spell slaughter without laughter]

[Black_Death R.I.P 20/Oct/2005]

Senior Member Ein Einsamer Soldat has a reputation beyond repute Ein Einsamer Soldat has a reputation beyond repute Ein Einsamer Soldat has a reputation beyond repute Ein Einsamer Soldat has a reputation beyond repute Ein Einsamer Soldat has a reputation beyond repute Ein Einsamer Soldat has a reputation beyond repute Ein Einsamer Soldat has a reputation beyond repute Ein Einsamer Soldat has a reputation beyond repute Ein Einsamer Soldat has a reputation beyond repute Ein Einsamer Soldat has a reputation beyond repute Ein Einsamer Soldat has a reputation beyond repute Ein Einsamer Soldat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-14-2008 12:25 PM
    Threads

I prefer a control pad(use a PS3 controller on my mugen xp)

Signature and Avi by:
    IchigoKiss

Closed Thread

Thread Information