AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Going to Japan

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2009 08:17 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

the kebabs at harajuku are better!! It's near the Gap.

@ertai: my biggest expense is transportation. if you can, get the train pass before you come over. it's sooooo worth it. http://www.japanrailpass.net/

Pink is the new Pooky
    Party it up in Wallpapers
    | join the AF Gaia guild!
    "Spilt coffee has a sad remembrance of old"- from a plastic bag seen on the train

musing of a mod : Illuminated Spirits : Theme: uber_pink

Senior Member Aki_Saku has a reputation beyond repute Aki_Saku has a reputation beyond repute Aki_Saku has a reputation beyond repute Aki_Saku has a reputation beyond repute Aki_Saku has a reputation beyond repute Aki_Saku has a reputation beyond repute Aki_Saku has a reputation beyond repute Aki_Saku has a reputation beyond repute Aki_Saku has a reputation beyond repute Aki_Saku has a reputation beyond repute Aki_Saku has a reputation beyond repute Aki_Saku's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-11-2008 03:44 PM
    Threads

Well, I"ve never been to Japan, but I did read that you're not supposed to tip waitresses, cabbies, etc. Because the service you recieved was considered a duty, not a luxery (or something like that). I hope this helps!

"The world is not beautiful...
    Therefore it is."
    -Kino no Tabi

peardruid is on a distinguished road peardruid's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-17-2008 11:09 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

@ datenshi: you're a Waseda student? I'm heading over to SILS for a bit sometime during my trip? Perhaps you could take me around? ^^

Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-26-2010 08:18 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Haha I'm going to have to write all this stuff down before I go! So much to remember, and I'm likely not bringing my laptop with me...

@PookyChan: Actually since we're going to a bunch of different places, my prof got us JR passes for the last week we're there.

A couple of stupid questions:

1) My prof gave us 3 things we should remember to say to be polite, but I don't know one of them. What does しつれいします mean?

2) I need a new iPod, but I'm thinking if I should get it before or after I go. What's the Wi-Fi situation like in the big cities? I probably won't be bringing my laptop, but if I get an iPod Touch, will it be able to supply my internet habit for the 3 weeks?
    日本語をならっている。 まちがえれば、おねがい知らせてください~!

Quote Originally Posted by Paraphrased from LavaBug
    I remember that day 'cause it's Sailor Mercury's birthday...or is it my mom's?

tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-10-2008 03:59 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

this website is priceless for when you're travelling in big cities. especially in tokyo where the the map of the railways look like a huge messy spiderweb.

http://transit.yahoo.co.jp/

it's in japanese so it's the most accurate with up to date information (when accidents, natural disasters happen, they'll let you know not to use the affected lines) But in case you're not confident with using it, u can try using this site especially for gaijins

http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/nor...norikeyin.html

the only problem is that you might have problems inputting some stations. remember romaji is NOT STANDARDISED in japan so the website might not recognise some of your spellings. the safest way is to use the japanese website and input the kanji.

to answer your question, しつれいします is basically "excuse me". it's something you say before you're about to do something that might bother people....like for example make your way to the door of a packed train. you're gonna have to squeeze/barge through some people so you can say this. but saying すみません in this train situation is also totally fine.

im currently working part time at a coffee shop and we also say this when we're about wipe a table where a customer is sitting and enjoying his coffee. we also say it when we're about to put the plates on the customer's table. dentists also say it when they're about to insert their instruments into the patient's mouth. you also say it after you knock the door of a teacher's room and are about to enter........ get the idea now?

p.s. u should get your ipod in the US...it's cheaper there. also, don't forget that buying stuff in japan means that you're buying stuff that's meant for japanese consumers. that means the manual, warranty, instructions etc will all be written in japanese.

rather than bringing an ipod along, i recommend you get yourself a good electronic dictionary..one with lots of words and many word examples, jap-jap, jap-eng, eng-jap, and also kanji dictionary. i cannot stress enough how important mine has been to me. this thing will be the bridge that connects you to the japanese.
    anyway, why would you want to shut yourself in your own little world with your ipod. you're gonna be here for only 3 weeks so you should take in as much as you can. when you're in the train, instead of listening to your ipod, listen to the other people in the train and see how much of their conversation you can understand
    Last edited by tetekmakhang; 05-10-2008 at 04:26 PM.

Is A Girl ;)
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-14-2014 10:22 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

When buying an electronic dictionary you may consider buying a
    gameboy ds and get some kanji software to go with it.
    (the gameboy ds WITHOUT software is actually cheaper and you can also play with it....Ok on the other hand there are electronic dictionaries you can watch tv with too ^^°)

As for kebab, speaking from the smell I go with Pooky..
    You can find Kebab at the, I think South entrance in Shinjuku Station,
    Akihabara (3 Stands, various locations), Harajuku and Okachimachi
    (but that was not that great, also watch your purse ^^°)

Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I wanted to bring my iPod anyway cause it's like a 12-hour plane ride and I only have about 10 hours of entertainment between watching anime on my laptop and playing WLAN DS games with the other people in my group, so I figure I can get some iPod sleep in sometime in the middle (plus I'm currently on about 5 hours of sleep in the hopes I'll be on 8 tomorrow despite waking up at 4:30 am, but that likely won't happen). Since I'm bringing my laptop, I won't need the iPod Touch anyway, I guess.

But yeah, I know all about buying stuff in Japan...I'm not planning on buying too many electronics there unless they run on batteries. Speaking of which, I'm thinking of getting an electronic dictionary, as my current paper dictionary is about 2" thick and weighs more than most textbooks. How much are they usually, and is there a good place to get one in Kyoto? Does KyotoDai have a campus shop where I might be able to get one for a cheaper price?
    Last edited by Ertai87; 05-11-2008 at 01:11 PM.

Is A Girl ;)
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

In Kyoto there is a "big camera" store right next to the main-station
    (when you get out of it, on the left...sorry for being vague, but you should find it....other stores like that I don't remember now..^^°)

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

for train travel in English: http://www.hyperdia.com/

Pink is the new Pooky
    "Spilt coffee has a sad remembrance of old"- from a plastic bag seen on the train

Junior Member Nytyngayl will become famous soon enough Nytyngayl's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-17-2008 01:25 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai87 View Post
    Speaking of which, I'm thinking of getting an electronic dictionary, as my current paper dictionary is about 2" thick and weighs more than most textbooks. How much are they usually, and is there a good place to get one in Kyoto? Does KyotoDai have a campus shop where I might be able to get one for a cheaper price?
    There is an electronics store just about right across the street from Hankyu Saiin Station in Kyoto. Giant store- Joshin. It` s a huge chain of electronics stores and they have everything from plug adaptors to wiring supplies to cell phones to electronic dictionaries to video games to...

Other than that, I`d say Osaka Den-Den town.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Well, I'm here now (in Kyoto)...wow. That's really all I can say. It's SOOOO different from North America it's ridiculous. It'll definitely take some getting used to, especially the fact that I can't read restaurant menus here...at least there are pictures XD

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

yeah, the menu pictures saved me when I first arrived.

Pink is the new Pooky

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Heh, well, so far I've accomplished 3 of my goals in Japan:

1) I bought something from a vending machine that I can't find in North America (some kind of lemon pop or something...it was really good)

2) I ate ramen.

3) I saw middle school girls in the sailor clothes (to be honest, I thought that was only in anime until this afternoon)

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

1) CC lemon? love that stuff. the hubby mixed it with alcohol o.o;;

2) woooo!! what kind? speaking of which... LavaBug: when ya free for ramen? Maybe Dateshi would like to join us? !

3) ah, the school uniforms. so cute!

Pink is the new Pooky

Is A Girl ;)
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I'm free on sunday and friday (after 5pm)

as for the schoolgirls, there is a big school here where I live and I marvel every day about the degree of how they master to make the skirts look too (or at least very)short, but also successful cover the holy grail of all otakuhood - the panty...
    In connection to that, I also sporadically see signs warning women of people who hold their cellphones under their skirt while on the escalator...A justified warning...
    Last edited by LavaBug; 05-14-2008 at 05:33 PM.

Jumonji Baka Kawaii IV
    Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2009 09:27 AM
    Threads

A little late, but congrats! I just can't wait for my opportunity to go to Japan.

There's this program that is basically like an exchange program. But unlike most, it sends you directly to the school. It's a private, all-girl's school in Osaka that has an exchange program within the school. I'd be living with a host family, but I'd at least get to attend the school. And the school sure looks incredible. Once I'm in 10th grade I can spend a semester or even a year (money is tight right now x_x;;!) there. Of course I have to continue learning Japanese though!

But enough about me. I can imagine it to be very different from America, but at the same time at least a little similar. What is it about the menus that are difficult anyway o.o? I know there's this one Chinese restaurant that I go to where the menus are only in Chinese, so I just point to the pictures and say "that" XD! Well, I hope you have fun!

深く根ざした||傷は消えない
    Hide it, Hide it, Hide me

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

@PookyChan: It was some Asahi Lemon Cider or something, although I did try CC Lemon later on (I really like lemon drinks, although I hate lemon water...y'know, where you put a slice of lemon in a glass of water...disgusting...). Personally I like the Asahi one more, although it's more expensive (I found the CC lemon in a big bottle at the 99 Yen store).

@LavaBug: I didn't think to look XD Probably a good thing too XD

@Pengin-san: I heard about that exchange actually...I forget what the school is called though (I'm a guy so I wasn't paying attention when my prof was telling us about it). This is the first year (I think) that my school is doing it though, so I don't know anyone who's done it or anything so I can't give you any recommendations.

Jumonji Baka Kawaii IV
    Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2009 09:27 AM
    Threads

Oh oh oh! I remember when my friend brought me CC Lemon. That stuff was really good o.o. I just don't think I'll ever have it again until I go out to Japan ;___;.

The school is called Osaka Girl's Senior High School. That's surprising that you've heard of it though. Maybe it's well-known. I looked into it deeply, and it just seems incredible. If you don't mind me asking, where are you going to school in America?

深く根ざした||傷は消えない
    Hide it, Hide it, Hide me

Ace Kaitous YOU Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Hat Rayman Baboon With A Gun Bioshock Syringe
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2024 09:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kaitou ace42 PSN ID: kaitou42 Steam ID: kaitou_ace

Meh all this talk about CC Lemon, now I am going to have to search for it out here, because I really enjoyed it when I was in Japan.

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

I also recommend na-chan orange. soooo sugary, but addictive.

@lava: fridays are pretty bad for me, but might be able to do sunday. Gotta see what Glen is up to, though. mind if he tags along?

Pink is the new Pooky

For I am not the one Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-29-2010 10:44 AM
    Threads

Wow...You guys who have been to japan or going there are sooo damn lucky..i wish i could go there as well..grrr

Is A Girl ;)
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by MistressPookyChan View Post
    I also recommend na-chan orange. soooo sugary, but addictive.

@lava: fridays are pretty bad for me, but might be able to do sunday. Gotta see what Glen is up to, though. mind if he tags along?
    Sunday is ok for me and of course I don't mind ^^

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

@pengin-san: Maybe it was different. It was a university exchange to Japan to an all-girls university. Also, please please turn off the red. It's so hard to read...

I go to school at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada.

peardruid is on a distinguished road peardruid's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-17-2008 11:09 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Hmmm. I wonder if I should pop over to Kansai for a bit. Three weeks sounds long but I guess it isn't. >.<

Closed Thread

Thread Information