AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Life's Value

Senior Member Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-20-2016 09:10 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Life's Value

i heard someone saying that this forum lacks of discussions so lets try open a new one

Imagine this situation (very famous)

You were walking side by side with the trainīs track
    you look forward and then, ohhh, there are people there!! the track divides it self in two and there is:
    in the left side someone we love
    in the right there is a bunch of people
    (i donīt know what they are doing there but itīs ok)

But wait, Ohhhh NO!! A train is coming!! OMG!!!
    What i am going to do??

We have only one action possible: We donīt do nothing and kill the person or change the track direction and make that it goes and kills the group. so your choice is:

Save one person or Save a group?

Itīs your Decision. Live or Die

Let the Gameīs Begin

(i love JigSaw but i donīt remember the exact sentence he says every time when he talks for the last time with the victim)

What would you do?

I am still thinking about it :S
    itīs not easy
    Last edited by Kobarokawa-San; 04-26-2008 at 02:54 PM.
    The Supreme Ruler
    of The Whole
    Universe

███ ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-07-2008 08:45 AM
    Threads

Well as hard as this question is to understand let me try and rephrase it:

You can let a famous person die or a group of people.

I would choose the group of people, that way I could enjoy mugging the famous person and take his money.
    ████████████

Why don't fingers fing? Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-15-2009 01:19 AM
    Threads

I think the OP missed a piece of how this discussion is supposed to work. It should say that the single person is a loved one. Which makes the question (kill a loved one or kill a group of people) a little bit more daunting.

Asking to choose between a random lone person and a random group of people isn't as big of a choice to make.

Banned Forum / Chat Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-29-2008 12:08 PM
    Threads

I would stand there and say "Hey dude! theres a train coming get off the tracks you stupid prat! What on Earth are you doing on there anyway? Do you want to die? Does you Mother know your doing this?"

Then walk off. If not then I'll act as if I was never there and let Nature take its course.
    Fully - Fledged - Absolute - Hardcore ''Otaku''
    Just Like This 'Kawaii' Girl Here.[Izumi Konata]

SPQR Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2009 08:57 PM
    Threads

To cover all aspects..

The random individual vs the group, well save the group. Better a lot of people I don't know live their lives than one.

If the single person was a loved one, screw the group, save the loved one. They have more importance to you, and since you are saving the lives here, you get to choose who survives.

If the single person was Koda Kumi, jump in front of the train and stop it with my bare hands. Whisk the swooned girl away back to my secret hideout.

Nice Boat Captain Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Strawberry Nunchaku Blue Saber
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-09-2021 05:03 AM
    The Hellish Death Realms where demons dwell (a.k.a. Planet Earth)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

There would be nothing I'd be able to do, considering how much I lack in size and strength.

Oh, Hi-deeki, imagine... your kind not eating raw fish! ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE38SKRT4ak

Senior Member Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-26-2008 05:16 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by M Bison View Post
    If the single person was Koda Kumi, jump in front of the train and stop it with my bare hands. Whisk the swooned girl away back to my secret hideout.
    Wouldn't it be more to the point to jump onto the train, throw the reverse, and then spin fire from the driving wheels as it goes full throttle in reverse to stop itself in the shortest possible distance?

The other option is to only throw the switch half-way. The result will be that the train derails, and due to it's momentum might pass in between the tracks- with a bit of luck nobody will get killed.

Finally, I choose the good of the many over the good of the one. Unless I happened to hate at least half the group, in which case I would save my loved one.

Here at the place where our love reached it's climax, I leave behind a broken heart torn to pieces by fate.

Merry Christmas.

Member MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2009 06:22 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade of Life View Post
    The other option is to only throw the switch half-way. The result will be that the train derails, and due to it's momentum might pass in between the tracks- with a bit of luck nobody will get killed.
    Way to go, you just killed hundreds of innocent passengers and damaged millions of dollars worth of cargo for a group of idiots who thought chilling at the tracks was the cool thing to do. (BTW, you definitely don't want to take that risk with a Japanese bullet train)

I know the "best" thing to do is to save the group... But I think my loyal selfishness would make me choose the one I care for.
    Last edited by MetalKnight; 04-26-2008 at 12:16 PM.

Super Assome! Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-31-2009 02:10 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Amray View Post
    I would stand there and say "Hey dude! theres a train coming get off the tracks you stupid prat! What on Earth are you doing on there anyway? Do you want to die? Does you Mother know your doing this?"

Then walk off. If not then I'll act as if I was never there and let Nature take its course.
    I too would do that. But that's not one of the two choices.

I would kill the lone person if the lone person is a random person I don't know.
    I would kill the group if that lone person is someone I like/love. (Friends/family)

Message from me:

Internizzle serizzle bizzle
    AF family:
    - Temperance: Raccoon Pet. xD
    - Kitsune~girl: Sister :3

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

I would kill the lone person regardless of who they were.

Part two of this is just hilarious, by the way. Say there's a group of people standing on the tracks, and a train is coming. It's trying to stop but won't in time.

Standing next to you is an incredibly fat man, teetering on the edge of the cliff you're watching this from. If you push him off, the impact will slow the train down just enough to save the group. Do you push the fat man?

boopaloop! Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-19-2013 11:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Push the fat man.

Totally push the fat man.

I'm defintely all about saving myself before anyone else. Next comes my family and friends.

Although I did one time try to save a little girls life and got hurt far more than she did in the end result.

Yeah that sucked.
    making emo kids[/URL] cry since 1998

Super Assome! Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I would definetly TRY to push the fat man. He's probably so heavy so he can stop the train but it will be hard to push him.

I always safe myself first and then someone else.

Message from me:

AF family:

Banned Forum / Chat Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Basically; "Would you rather a group of people die, or one fat man?"

Neither. I wouldn't get involved. I don't exactly want to kill this obese man for no reason. I suppose I would just walk up to the fat man and say;
    "What a bunch of idiots standing on a railway, wouldn't you agree?"

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

What if that group is tied to the rails?

Message from me:

AF family:

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Then I would say to him;
    "How could you possibly eat at a time like this?" XD

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Hahaha That's evil.

Message from me:

AF family:

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sanosuke23 View Post
    Standing next to you is an incredibly fat man, teetering on the edge of the cliff you're watching this from. If you push him off, the impact will slow the train down just enough to save the group. Do you push the fat man?
    That lacks a foundation in physics. Even if you put a bus on the tracks, with the exception of the slim possibility of the collision derailing the train, it will not stop a moving train in anything less than several hundred meters -- and that is with the train breaking. Trains have a craptastically high inertia.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Number Six View Post
    That lacks a foundation in physics. Even if you put a bus on the tracks, with the exception of the slim possibility of the collision derailing the train, it will not stop a moving train in anything less than several hundred meters -- and that is with the train breaking. Trains have a craptastically high inertia.
    We all know that. So you don't have to ruin it.

Message from me:

AF family:

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yes, That is correct.

A train travels at such a high speed that if you were to throw the smallest stone at one of the windows from the outside while it is in motion it could smash very easily, due to the speed of the train and not the stone. Same as if you dropped a brick from the top of a Bridge down onto one it may well just take the whole roof down.

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Number Six View Post
    That lacks a foundation in physics.
    As I said, the train is TRYING to stop, and this is a truly immense individual. Like, both of those fat twins on tiny motorcycles put together fat or something. Motorcycles included.

... Look, I didn't make this thing up, okay? I'm just sharing the second part of the question.

Senior Member DynastyxFell has a reputation beyond repute DynastyxFell has a reputation beyond repute DynastyxFell has a reputation beyond repute DynastyxFell has a reputation beyond repute DynastyxFell has a reputation beyond repute DynastyxFell has a reputation beyond repute DynastyxFell has a reputation beyond repute DynastyxFell has a reputation beyond repute DynastyxFell has a reputation beyond repute DynastyxFell has a reputation beyond repute DynastyxFell has a reputation beyond repute DynastyxFell's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-03-2009 09:15 PM
    Threads

It would be more ethical to save the group of people, but I would probably save the loved one. I can't stand losing people I love, and I would hate it even more if I knew there was something I could do to save them.
    If the situation really happened, I'd make sure the loved one was safe, then do whatever I could to make the group of people to realise that there was a train coming. Shout, throw rocks, whatever. But of course that wasn't one of the options...
    エレクトロ・ワールド

The ground shook and cracked, the sun in the sky descended into my hand

boopaloop! Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-19-2013 11:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

for reals, it's not like we're all in a math class. stop trying to drag the topic down with your rediculous banter. there is a question. answer it or leave it alone if you feel it's not possible in real life.

this is the internet, real life and physics need not apply.
    making emo kids[/URL] cry since 1998

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Sanosuke23 View Post
    As I said, the train is TRYING to stop, and this is a truly immense individual. Like, both of those fat twins on tiny motorcycles put together fat or something. Motorcycles included.

... Look, I didn't make this thing up, okay? I'm just sharing the second part of the question.
    You best listen to the expert Eris. His a conductor I'll have you know.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Ai View Post
    for reals, it's not like we're all in a math class. stop trying to drag the topic down with your rediculous banter. there is a question. answer it or leave it alone if you feel it's not possible in real life.

this is the internet, real life and physics need not apply.
    This is highly relevant. Even though this is strictly gedanken, applying real-world constraints allows us to eliminate the options that are not relevant to the scenario. Such as the fat man option. It's the standard problem algorithm, if you will.

Furthermore, if real world physics need not apply, then what's stopping me from simply using my psychic powers and teleporting the people out of the way, stopping time, summoning super man, etc.?

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Amray View Post
    You best listen to the expert Eris. His a conductor I'll have you know.
    I think "sie" is a more appropriate pronoun for Eris, who would prefer to keep hir gender a closely guarded international secret.

On a side note, I forgot to mention that in both cases the tracks are all surrounded by high cliffs, and there is no way anyone can run off the track before the train hits them.

The whole thing has to do with moral hemispheres or something.

Closed Thread

Thread Information