AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Homeschooling Illegal in CA

Senior Member SupaWeena has a reputation beyond repute SupaWeena has a reputation beyond repute SupaWeena has a reputation beyond repute SupaWeena has a reputation beyond repute SupaWeena has a reputation beyond repute SupaWeena has a reputation beyond repute SupaWeena has a reputation beyond repute SupaWeena has a reputation beyond repute SupaWeena has a reputation beyond repute SupaWeena has a reputation beyond repute SupaWeena has a reputation beyond repute SupaWeena's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-28-2010 11:13 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    How do you know if a blonde tried to commit suicide? Gunshots in the mirror
    Threads

Im homeschooled, but im in NC...Wow i didnt know they banned it in CA..how stupid!
    ~When Life Gives You Lemons.....Write Them Down....Then Hide Behind The couch From Your Mom~

Senior Member Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-19-2008 02:39 PM
    Threads

As one who lives in the heart of Homeschooling country, I can tell you that there is one reason and one reason only that children here are homeschooled: So that the parents can indoctrinate the children with their religious beliefs and prevent them from hearing dissenting voices.

I mean, just imagine if little Johnny knew that the world wasn't actually 4,000 years old but was actually 4.5 billion years old! The next thing you know he'll be gay, smoking dope, living with a black illegal immigrant, and *gasp* voting for Godless Liberal Democrats! OMG!!!
    Last edited by Midnight Rambler; 04-03-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Senior Member EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-21-2008 04:08 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin of Konoha View Post
    I think it is a stupid idea, it has been proven that homeschooled kids are SMARTER than public school kids, and I would like to shoot down any notion that we have no contact with the outside world, just because one is homeschooled doesn't mean that they are isolated and don't know how to interact with other people, I had lots of friends, through sports, class days and church. Homeschooling is a great idea because it allows parents to teach their kids in the same beliefs as the houshold, not the school curriculum. You learn to work with others just as much in homeschooling as you do in public school, I think you should be allowed to teach your kids in whatever way you want to.
    I understand where you are coming from, but I think you're mistaken that all homeschool kids are smarter. Of all the people that I've ever known that were homeschooled, only about 2 of them (out of about 20) weren't morons. If it's illegal, I'm sure they did studies and surveys that justified it becoming illegal. Parents should get a teaching degree, and teach they're kids how they want to teach them, because kids are being educated to live and thrive in the real world, not at home with mommy or daddy, sorry, that's just my point of view on the matter.

The Rocker Witch Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2008 12:51 PM
    Threads

Wow, I didn't know that homeschooling was so popular this days; I always thought that parents chose that alternative for special reasons (health issues, can't afford sending kids to school, etc)... guess I was wrong. But I do agree with this measure, I just feel that great part of a little kids knowledge it's in jeopardy if s/he doesn't have an appropriate teacher.
    The Member Formerly Known as ~*Haru*~

[ This is my World, and you can't Join it ]
    ×Inhumane and Beautiful×

You're a 90's kid when...
    You know that, before SpongeBob, the Snorkels inhabited the bottom of the Sea.

[~Set done by Megami~]

Senior Member Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler has a reputation beyond repute Midnight Rambler's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Not only is it gaining in popularity, now the homeschoolers even have their own museum:http://www.creationmuseum.org/

Senior Member Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-28-2008 11:32 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

You people really wanna know why people flip out when you try and get states involved in homeschooling? Go watch "Jesus Camp."

I'm not saying ALL home-school parent/teachers are like that, but the vast, VAST majority of them are. They want to teach their kids "good Christian values," the kind that doesn't come from a secular public school. (By the way, for an example of GCVs, go actually read the story of Gideon. It's pretty horrific.)

Oh, and the "lesson" they filmed involved a mother who taught her children that the Earth was only six thousand years old, and that the dinosaurs lived alongside Adam and Eve. SCIENCE, LADY, DO YOU KNOW IT?

I know here in Nebraska they want home schooled kids to take the No Child tests, and everyone FLIPPED. As in, angry letters, protests, threatening to move out of state (which contributes to the "brain drain" here), the whole nine yards. Frankly, if the home schoolers don't take them, then we shouldn't either. We're all going to the same Universities, and we all have the same requirements, and we should all take the same tests.
    ~Synesthete Extraordinaire~

PSA: If you're going to bad-rep me, do these three things.
    1. Learn which one is bad-rep. Green=good.
    2. Grow a pair and tell me to my face. Average amount that I check reputation: About once every three weeks or so.
    3. Sign the bad rep. At least have the guts to announce that it was you.

SNAPE KILLS YOUR MOM AT THE END OF BOOK SEVEN.

Senior Member EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx has a reputation beyond repute EnneadNokonx's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-21-2008 04:08 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Momokachan View Post
    You people really wanna know why people flip out when you try and get states involved in homeschooling? Go watch "Jesus Camp."

I'm not saying ALL home-school parent/teachers are like that, but the vast, VAST majority of them are. They want to teach their kids "good Christian values," the kind that doesn't come from a secular public school. (By the way, for an example of GCVs, go actually read the story of Gideon. It's pretty horrific.)

Oh, and the "lesson" they filmed involved a mother who taught her children that the Earth was only six thousand years old, and that the dinosaurs lived alongside Adam and Eve. SCIENCE, LADY, DO YOU KNOW IT?
    I believe the figure of homeschoolers that are protestant is around 70% (last I checked, that may have changed). I really get what you're saying, one of the most important things that kids should be taught is tolerence of those who are different from yourself, in race, creed, and color, even intelligence level. Like, I said before, kids should be taught to thrive in the real world, where most everyone else lives, not at home.

Senior Member Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by EnneadNokonx View Post
    I believe the figure of homeschoolers that are protestant is around 70% (last I checked, that may have changed). I really get what you're saying, one of the most important things that kids should be taught is tolerence of those who are different from yourself, in race, creed, and color, even intelligence level. Like, I said before, kids should be taught to thrive in the real world, where most everyone else lives, not at home.
    Well, not only should students be exposed to different world views, they should also be taught real lessons, not Biblical nonsense that has no basis in real science. It's the same argument for teaching so-called "intelligent design" in a damn Honors Biology course.

2. Grow a pair and tell me to my face. Average amount that I check reputation: About once every three weeks or so.

/v|;/|/|) `|`}{;(-'/-'' daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2016 05:43 PM

I don't see what the problem with homeschooling is. If the parents want to teach their children, let it be so. It should be up to the parents to decide wether they want their children put into schools and get an education, or they themselves give their children the education. What ever happened to freedom of choice?
    feed your monster

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by daft View Post
    I don't see what the problem with homeschooling is. If the parents want to teach their children, let it be so. It should be up to the parents to decide wether they want their children put into schools and get an education, or they themselves give their children the education. What ever happened to freedom of choice?
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not saying that they shouldn't be able to choose. Quite the opposite, in fact. What I AM saying, however, is that home-schooled students should be subject to the same curricular review exams that public school students are. Colleges don't care if you were home schooled or if you went to a public school. What they do care about are test scores.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I don't think Parents should have the "right" to ruin their child's future any more than I think that they should have the right to set their children on fire.

If Parents want to indoctrinate their kids with nonsense, they can at least send them to a legitimate religious school. Or they can take the classes necessary to certify themselves as teachers and teach their children at home if they wish.

Digital Plague demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-02-2012 02:19 AM
    Threads

this is one of those things, where I would like to say I don't support it, but I am afraid I do. Where as this may strip away some of the rights of the parents, it will benefit the children in the long run. The only thing that concerns me is, some of these children may live in areas where the public schools well suck. we all know that in America the quality of your education depends on the location of your home. I think that if laws like these are passed then either parents should have a choice of where their children go to school, or the children are tested to get into better schools. after all what is good for the goose is good for the gander.
    [my stuff] I make my sigs.
    When one bad reps, its a common curtsy to leave one's name. So one can return the favor, in kind.
    [It is your responsibility to keep up the the Magna not mine, so don't be mad at me if you "think" this gives something away.]
    MySpace FaceBook
    Those with a destiny must be sure of themselves and their purpose. If their motivations are not pure, then they may not be the right person to lead the cause.

/v|;/|/|) `|`}{;(-'/-'' daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2016 05:43 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Momokachan View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not saying that they shouldn't be able to choose. Quite the opposite, in fact. What I AM saying, however, is that home-schooled students should be subject to the same curricular review exams that public school students are. Colleges don't care if you were home schooled or if you went to a public school. What they do care about are test scores.
    I see what the issue is now. Well ok then, let the tests decide. If they can't seem to pass those same tests regular school students take, then I guess they aint good enough for college then.
    feed your monster

The Rocker Witch Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2008 12:51 PM
    Threads

I see what the issue is now. Well ok then, let the tests decide. If they can't seem to pass those same tests regular school students take, then I guess they aint good enough for college then.
    Kids from school can fail those test as well. I think that what Momokachan is trying to say is that to enter college you need a certain level of knowledge, if you don't have it then tough luck.
    The Member Formerly Known as ~*Haru*~

[ This is my World, and you can't Join it ]
    ×Inhumane and Beautiful×

You're a 90's kid when...
    You know that, before SpongeBob, the Snorkels inhabited the bottom of the Sea.

[~Set done by Megami~]

Junior Member Kit_Darkmoon has much to be proud of Kit_Darkmoon has much to be proud of Kit_Darkmoon has much to be proud of Kit_Darkmoon has much to be proud of Kit_Darkmoon has much to be proud of Kit_Darkmoon has much to be proud of Kit_Darkmoon has much to be proud of Kit_Darkmoon has much to be proud of Kit_Darkmoon has much to be proud of Kit_Darkmoon has much to be proud of Kit_Darkmoon's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-04-2008 08:53 PM
    Threads

I think California needs to let lose alil they pass so many werid laws. Like the one here, If a parent and kid want to be home schooled why stop em? It's thier life, the goverment shouldn't try to control it. Thats just my two cents.

Senior Member Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-03-2010 01:32 AM
    Threads

Heeey, go California! Great idea.

Personally I don't like the idea of homeschooling that much simply because I've met so many socially dysfunctional and awkward people who probably would have been a tad less unnerving to be around because they'd have learned a bit more about not being total weirdos.

NO I'M NOT SAYING ALL HOMESCHOOLERS ARE SOCIALLY INEPT LEAVE ME ALONE
    This post has been approved by Dancing Alec™

CircleJerk Elitist MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Gifts Pizza Cake Bleach Kon
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-06-2014 03:04 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: MissAstaire

I agree with demonplight on the whole "some schools suck" part. Where I live, the public schools that are closest are horrible. I mean, metal detectors, officers at every entrance and unaccredited. There would just be absolutely no point in going there for an education. Unless you wanna learn the best ways to score drugs, but that's about it. And the Christian private schools, well, they cost an insane amount of money to even get accepted and are about a half hour away, so the point is pretty much moot if you don't have a ride to get there.

And the "good Christian values" thing is true in my family's case. In fact, if it wasn't for the whole evolution thing in science classes and the teacher laughing in the faces of those who spoke out against it, then my siblings and I would most likely be in a public school right now. But my youngest sister is 8 and by the time she gets into the 5th grade they'd be saying that God *doesn't* exist and the world is thousands of billions of years old and she'd be so confused that she wouldn't know what to do. Now am i saying that all schools and all teachers do that? No, of course not. But the majority of them nowadays do, and it's just a tad bit ridiculous. But I also am not saying that I think only Christians should teach the science classes. Because then they would probably be trying to instill their beliefs on the kids, and that's just as confusing as it would be for for the kids who are raised in a Christian home....

Just how I see it...

Tomorrow's a new day.

Banned Forum / Chat Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-29-2008 12:08 PM
    Threads

Its always better to get out there and get involved y'know?
    I don't think I could stand Home Schooling, I have made so many great friends. I befriends practically everybody I meet. Its kind of a gift. ^^
    Fully - Fledged - Absolute - Hardcore ''Otaku''
    Just Like This 'Kawaii' Girl Here.[Izumi Konata]

Senior Member rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch's Avatar
    Gil
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2014 05:35 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: lots of bits PSN ID: rf_switch Steam ID: lotsofbits

It's still legal. It's just not legal for that parent whose not qualified to be a teacher. You wanna home school your kids? Get qualified. It really isn't that hard... The parent might learn something too. Besides I know very few households that can afford to have one parent stay home and teach the kids.

I'm kinda ok with it. Some parents have no place home schooling their kids. Now I base that mainly on the couple times I've seen Wife Swap and Trading Spouses where there were home schooled kids who were just overly sheltered and not really learning much. Oh and the one home schooled kid I met in my life who lacked common sense, was annoying, and I'd never want to see him again.

Also if public schools are a problem have whichever parent isn't working get a job. That job could pay for that private school thats supposed to be so great. If both parents have jobs then I guess they either don't have time to home school, or they weren't smart enough to hire someone with teaching credentials to home school their kids.

You can get a good to great education even at the worst public schools. You just have to want it and work for it.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by erised_lily View Post
    And the "good Christian values" thing is true in my family's case. In fact, if it wasn't for the whole evolution thing in science classes and the teacher laughing in the faces of those who spoke out against it, then my siblings and I would most likely be in a public school right now.
    Where? In your area, or someplace that you wouldn't be attending school at? Because if so, generalizing from something you heard on the news is stupid.

But my youngest sister is 8 and by the time she gets into the 5th grade they'd be saying that God *doesn't* exist and the world is thousands of billions of years old and she'd be so confused that she wouldn't know what to do.
    I won't say that there aren't outspoken atheists as teachers, but they are uncommon at best. I have had many teachers that have told me they believed in god, sometimes as much as many times a week, but none that tried to instill atheism into my brain. Or even so much as mentioned that they were athists.

Also, the earth IS billions of years old, as we can prove using the half-life of various elements. And that is why it is bad for your parents to shelter you like this- scientific fact and theism are not mutually exclusive, and if your parents produce an adult that doesn't except things that are easily proven if a Biblical alternative exists, they will have done your sister a grave disservice.

Now am i saying that all schools and all teachers do that? No, of course not. But the majority of them nowadays do, and it's just a tad bit ridiculous.
    Unless you interpret teaching out of books that aren't the Bible or Of Pandas and People to be saying that there isn't a god, then no.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Member Chimera is just really nice Chimera is just really nice Chimera is just really nice Chimera is just really nice Chimera's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2008 07:21 AM
    Threads

Most homeschooled kids are definitly smarter than public ones... (taking exams at 12 - 15).

It's also good because it's one-to-one usually...

CircleJerk Elitist MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Gifts Pizza Cake Bleach Kon
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-06-2014 03:04 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: MissAstaire

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    Where? In your area, or someplace that you wouldn't be attending school at? Because if so, generalizing from something you heard on the news is stupid.
    No. Cos that *would* in fact be stupid. A few of my friends that go to public schools have either witnessed it or have been victim to it. And I rarely watch or listen to the news because there is just a bunch of crap about celeb diets and nonsense.

Also, the earth IS billions of years old.
    And once again, the world is NOT a billion+ years old. That thought is just ridiculous.

Tomorrow's a new day.

Member Horofan has a reputation beyond repute Horofan has a reputation beyond repute Horofan has a reputation beyond repute Horofan has a reputation beyond repute Horofan has a reputation beyond repute Horofan has a reputation beyond repute Horofan has a reputation beyond repute Horofan has a reputation beyond repute Horofan has a reputation beyond repute Horofan has a reputation beyond repute Horofan has a reputation beyond repute Horofan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-09-2008 06:39 PM
    Threads

Also, the earth IS billions of years old, as we can prove using the half-life of various elements. And that is why it is bad for your parents to shelter you like this- scientific fact and atheism are not mutually exclusive, and if your parents produce an adult that doesn't except things that are easily proven if a Biblical alternative exists, they will have done your sister a grave disservice.

Other than the humungous can of worms that has been opened in this thread (god forbid it gets closed *hint hint*) We as a race weren't around billions of years ago to find out, so it may not be true.

It takes faith to believe any scientific theory about the universe's and our earth's creation, as does it a creationist theory, imo.

Because our inferior math can make sense in the places we've actually been (humans to the moon) does not mean it will hold true for the entire universe, does it?

I encourage all of you the read a work of fiction called The Footprints of God. It's not a christian book. Rather, its underlying theme as I gleaned, is a look at how increasingly feeble we are realizing our mathematics and sciences are. When a being exists that can consciously, truly know how it all began and how it all will end, we can call them (or ourselves) God. In essence when we know that, will not consciousness become reality itself?

Then and only then this tiring dispute will be over.

For the record, I am a Christian-raised centrist who has recently left faith for science. Though my moral code is that of a Christian, I believe they follow instinctual human vales anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On this topic, I oppose homeschooling because the quality of parenting in the United States has dropped considerably. Some people in my opinion should have taken a test to even be able to produce offspring. As a species, survival of the fittest doesn't work for us, so we have to improvise. Better parenting is one thing that will directly vault us to a smarter tomorrow.

None of this post is meant to be arrogant, matter of fact, or chide in nature. I ask you to simply think a little, and we all will benefit.

-T.
    All the love out to the true philosophers.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Horofan View Post
    Other than the humungous can of worms that has been opened in this thread (god forbid it gets closed *hint hint*) We as a race weren't around billions of years ago to find out, so it may not be true.
    There are lots of thing we can not directly observe that we can accurately infer. You can't see a individual atom, but we can infer their existence from the effects they have that we can see. Unless someone overturns geology, physics, astronomy, and chemistry we can be fairly certain of the age of the earth, in so far as we can be fairly certain of anything.

It takes faith to believe any scientific theory about the universe's and our earth's creation, as does it a creationist theory, imo.
    Different definitions entirely. Science's faith asserts that the things you observe are actually there, and have more or less constant properties that have been established through previous and ongoing observation. Religions faith asserts that something happened because you believe it happened. Contrary evidence is dismissed or not even looked for.

Because our inferior math can make sense in the places we've actually been (humans to the moon) does not mean it will hold true for the entire universe, does it?
    I am not saying that a deity could not exist, only that we would be denying reason and verifiable observations to say that the Earth is no older older then the 4000-6000 years implied in the Bible, and not something much closer to the estimated age of 4.5 billion based on many observations in many fields of study.

The only other plausible explanation on why this could be is to deny observability entirely- state that we can make no accurate statements about the outside universe. Which is technically true, but self-defeating and therefore a worthless position.

I encourage all of you the read a work of fiction called The Footprints of God. It's not a christian book. Rather, its underlying theme as I gleaned, is a look at how increasingly feeble we are realizing our mathematics and sciences are. When a being exists that can consciously, truly know how it all began and how it all will end, we can call them (or ourselves) God. In essence when we know that, will not consciousness become reality itself?
    No real scientist will attempt to tell you that we know everything, but that doesn't mean that everything that we do know is wrong. And even if it is wrong, when we find out WHY it is wrong, we will correct it. Science is a self correcting system.

Then and only then this tiring dispute will be over.

For the record, I am a Christian-raised centrist who has recently left faith for science. Though my moral code is that of a Christian, I believe they follow instinctual human vales anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    That's something you don't see everyday; someone who denies the probability of true statements based on observable evidence, but "left faith for science". The premise of science is that you can make statements about reality based on experiments and observations. And if they are untrue statements, someone will find out and correct you. Science isn't based around explaining the meaning of life, the true nature of the universe, or some other goofy idea. For those you need Religion or (better yet) Philosophy. Science is about the expansion of knowledge for knowledge's sake.

None of this post is meant to be arrogant, matter of fact, or chide in nature. I ask you to simply think a little, and we all will benefit.
    So you aren't trying to be arrogant, but you are accusing me of not thinking?
    Last edited by Manhattan_Project_2000; 04-04-2008 at 03:32 PM.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Banned Forum / Chat Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-29-2008 12:08 PM
    Threads

Well, atleast they do not have anyone to distract them, such as those annoying people that always sit at the back. You always get those. ¬_¬
    Fully - Fledged - Absolute - Hardcore ''Otaku''
    Just Like This 'Kawaii' Girl Here.[Izumi Konata]

Closed Thread

Thread Information