AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Anime: Endangered Species in USA?

Junior Member Nala_Yoshi is a jewel in the rough Nala_Yoshi is a jewel in the rough Nala_Yoshi is a jewel in the rough Nala_Yoshi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-16-2008 08:00 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Anime: Endangered Species in USA?

It's come to my notice that a few companies have been dieing out and others are in danger of the same fate. New Type USA is gone, Geneon Entertainment USA is gone, and others have fallen.
    The Reason: People download more than buy.
    Fact: More and more fans join the anime nation every year.
    Fact: Most of these fans rather download illegally than go out and buy anime. So is the same for mayn fans that exist already.
    The reason: DVD prices are high, and the reason for that is, hardly anyone buys them.
    But think about it, the money that is spent goes to the companies and the producers, if you steal that money by downlaoding, that means less money for the prioducers and the publishers. If we bought anime, that would keep companies strong and wold purchase the license for them, and producers will be encouraged to produce more anime. For example, if you worked at a job you enjoyed and got paid a lot for it, you'd stay right? Well. what if that paycheck kept getting smaller and smaller each time due to lack of sales, you would quit doing what you were doing wouldn't you?
    I admit, I've downloaded my fair share of anime, but I've also purchased the same anime when it came out in stores, so i believe that makes up for it, right? And you could do the same. It would make a huge difference for the better.
    Another reason it's dieing here is, the popularity of moe and harem anime is growing in Japan, so that's all that we are recieving here, and most Americans don't find that genre of anime to be favorable. (However, I love magical girls and harem anime and anything else moe so I'm not complaining.) So as something that's popular in Japan grows, we get less of what we really want, just think of it as anime is going through a moe fad and we must wait for the other genres to grow again. it's liek a small anime ressesion(sp).
    I'm not saying that anime, overall, is dieing, just slowly in America. In Japan, they rarly download anime because it's so cheep there so sales in Japan are skyrocketing, here it's a different story. Also, Expo's and Conventions here are growing rapidly each year, example: Anme Expo, the famous California Anime Convention, for the last few years haven't been able to find a Convention Center big enough to hold the amount of people pouring into their doors, and the main amount of spending on anime is during these conventions, so they are safe, for now.
    The Solution: Anime is based off of the popularity of the fans, and it's sales and poduction is based off such fans. We have the power to resolve this. So, if we stop downloading, and go out and purchase these anime, we would benefit from it more then just owning the anime, it encourages more anime to be produced and much more. Even if yo can't stop your download urges, how about downloading one or two episodes to see if you like it, and then, if you do, go out and purchase the anime.
    We know the problem, and we know the obvious solution, so why don't we make a difference and change our ways, buy more than download, it will all pay out in the longrun, trust me. We, the fans, have the power to solve this in a positive way. Please help me, please help all of us, and please, help anime grow.
    "Do you have the time to listen to me whine about nothing and everything all at once."
    -Green Day, Basket Case

Digital Plague demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-02-2012 02:19 AM
    Threads

One of the biggest problems is that it is hard to find anime that you will like with out gambling on the cost of the DVD. In my opinion it is fine to download a few episodes, or check them on a few sites. but you should buy them. also the stuff cartoon network shows is well aimed at kids for the most part, and the stuff that isn't is edited to hell and back. in addition,
    In addition I think that Downloading or streaming media is the future. pay like $10 and watch all you want. It is by no means dieing, it will shift to this eventually. and when it does I will stream it, and buy the DVD's.
    but you are right anime is downloaded to much, and people are not buying the DVD's enough, and they do cost to much. I spent $140 on the 2 season of Ghost in the Shell alone, the box set to NGE cost me $120 a few years ago.
    I will say this though, the reason so much is downloaded is because look at the audience. a lot of it is children to teens. and how much money do they have to spend on the DVD's?
    In addition piracy is wrong, if you are going to DL anime do a couple of episodes, if you like it buy it. that should be the extent of how far you go. in addition you can get a lot of anime over netflix, and anime network. I don't rent, I buy my DVD's in addition you can get them used over eBay, and other such sites. and do not buy the boot legged copies. they too are bad for the industry.
    Last edited by demonplight; 03-16-2008 at 08:12 PM.
    [my stuff] I make my sigs.
    When one bad reps, its a common curtsy to leave one's name. So one can return the favor, in kind.
    [It is your responsibility to keep up the the Magna not mine, so don't be mad at me if you "think" this gives something away.]
    MySpace FaceBook
    Those with a destiny must be sure of themselves and their purpose. If their motivations are not pure, then they may not be the right person to lead the cause.

Junior Member Nala_Yoshi is a jewel in the rough Nala_Yoshi is a jewel in the rough Nala_Yoshi is a jewel in the rough Nala_Yoshi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Very true. And you are right about the shift. Another solution that the companies are coming up with is an internet legal download process, but they are all waiting for someone else to try it before they all shift. So it's just a matter of time, so we must wait and see if they do.
    "Do you have the time to listen to me whine about nothing and everything all at once."
    -Green Day, Basket Case

Digital Plague demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

ADV did release some media over the net, i watched it.
    When one bad reps, its a common curtsy to leave one's name. So one can return the favor, in kind.
    [It is your responsibility to keep up the the Magna not mine, so don't be mad at me if you "think" this gives something away.]
    MySpace FaceBook
    Those with a destiny must be sure of themselves and their purpose. If their motivations are not pure, then they may not be the right person to lead the cause.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

SO ADV filmsis already using this idea? That's a start, for sure.
    -Green Day, Basket Case

AF's Cannibal (Forum Admin-ium) The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Gifts Ice Cream Kawaiislice Bleach Zangetsu
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-26-2014 12:12 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I prefer to buy my anime. I admit, I buy via Amazon, but it's still buying it, right? I think if they do a legal download thingy, they should charge for it. I just wouldn't care for DLing it since it takes up alot of HDD space. And with my addiction to anime, I'd need a tower with 10 HUGE drives just for all that anime. Plus DVDs have far better quality then what you find on the streaming sites and such.
    Now back to my researching the whole Geneon business.
    Last edited by The Rebel; 05-11-2008 at 03:23 PM.

Playstation Network ID: animerebel

Banned Forum / Chat Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-29-2008 12:08 PM
    Threads

I have never watched Anime illegally online, and I detest it and the people that do it in every way. I prefer to be an honest citizen and above all it is bad for the creators and the publishers. They deserve this money and yet these selfish gits are just sitting there watching them all for an extra zilch.

In very recent years Anime is becoming more and more popular here too ever since Naruto was aired, but most people here buy them. I just buy boxsets from Play.Com or something, which is what most others do too. Simple and 100% legal.
    Fully - Fledged - Absolute - Hardcore ''Otaku''
    Just Like This 'Kawaii' Girl Here.[Izumi Konata]

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Anime is frickin' humongous. As long as there is big enough demand, there will be people willing to meet that demand with a supply. Not all business models will make it -- DVD:s are in all right dying, but stronger models adapted to the market will emerge and take their place. In other words: As long as there is still w'eaboos there will be a market for Anime in the US. The sky is not falling.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Azn DambHaH Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-14-2009 06:48 PM
    Threads

You may think USA has it hard, but compared to UK they actually have it real good.
    The standard price for an anime DVD in UK is $40!

That said i dont support the UK anime industry much anyway unless there's a sale and the stuff i want is cheap. Mostly i download or watch anime online and if i really like it i will buy it from US, because even with shipping it is cheaper than getting it over here.

Senior Member Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-17-2015 01:51 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

DVD's are hardly expensive. I just bought entire seasons of several series over the weekend for roughly $40 each.

Although the new Appleseed movie was $20, for something only 2 hours long.

Banned Forum / Chat Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-29-2008 12:08 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Niro View Post
    You may think USA has it hard, but compared to UK they actually have it real good.
    The standard price for an anime DVD in UK is $40!

That said i dont support the UK anime industry much anyway unless there's a sale and the stuff i want is cheap. Mostly i download or watch anime online and if i really like it i will buy it from US, because even with shipping it is cheaper than getting it over here.
    You must be as insane as an insane man that just came out of an insane college in insane land. Just buy them online dude. From an online UK Anime store I bought the whole entire official genuine japanese asian release collection of 'Lucky Star' for 17! Keep in mind that this was before it was released in the US. I know many business sites that sell Anime like that.
    Fully - Fledged - Absolute - Hardcore ''Otaku''
    Just Like This 'Kawaii' Girl Here.[Izumi Konata]

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

In Japan, they rarly download anime because it's so cheep there so sales in Japan are skyrocketing, here it's a different story
    I would like to see the source for that.

Piracy of anime is a huge problem in Japan. Quite recently three prominent account holders for the Japanese P2P software Share were arrested for sharing anime, and sites like NicoNico (nicovideo.jp) are drawing a lot of controversy for uploading copyrighted content, especially anime. In addition, there was a big argument over blogs in Japan at the beginning of this year about the domestic recession of the anime business (Forget "The Next Evangelion", anime as a stable business model 2008.01.08).

Another reason it's dieing here is, the popularity of moe and harem anime is growing in Japan, so that's all that we are recieving here, and most Americans don't find that genre of anime to be favorable
    That's actually a good point. However, there is the fact that traditionally anime creators made a large portion of their profits thought the distribution of goods like toys and spin-off games. This has become increasingly difficult because 1. The market had gotten increasingly competitive with the appearance of portable video games, and 2. Most anime these days are aimed towards a more mature audience. Therefore, producers are forced to gain their revenue through products like moe figures and moe character goods, making moe and harem anime/manga are more profitable.
    Last edited by Datenshi; 05-11-2008 at 05:37 PM.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Senior Member Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-04-2010 12:06 AM
    Threads

I only download anime when I can't find it on DVD or it hasn't been released yet. I usually buy mine at Best Buy or online with Amazon.

As internet connections get faster it's just going to make illegal downloading quicker and easier.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I may or may not watch whatever is given to me on Ad-supported television. Otherwise, I refuse to jump through the slightest hoop for it.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Senior Member Shido will become famous soon enough Shido's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-25-2008 06:10 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Nala_Yoshi View Post
    It's come to my notice that a few companies have been dieing out and others are in danger of the same fate. New Type USA is gone, Geneon Entertainment USA is gone, and others have fallen.
    The Reason: People download more than buy.
    Fact: More and more fans join the anime nation every year.
    Fact: Most of these fans rather download illegally than go out and buy anime. So is the same for mayn fans that exist already.

sounds like somethng the movie industry would say . the anime and movie industry suck because of pricing and content end of story . You can't blame downloading for the entire fall of a civilization Just can't happen .

People don't go to the movies because it's to expensive end of story they didn't stop because they can dl for free on the net . I would say atleast 95 % of movie goers (imo )don't even know how to use torrents or even want to be bothered with it . the other five is basicly split into those that wouldn't have paid to go see it and those who just rather get it for free even if they were going to go see it originally . thats a small % imo

same with anime . It's the same content over and over again same type of anime coming out and with almost nothing to show for it . The main venues of mainstreaming anime was basic tv channels and Saturday morning type slots . That's pretty much gone . now you have to have cable for the lil bit of anime Cartoon network shows (if you can stomach a thousand repeats of inuyasha ) and animonday on scifi . Or you can get premium channels like the anime network , anime on demand , or any of the movie channels because they more or less have anime least once a week :P . theres no exposer of new and different anime to a broad range of fans and newcommers . Not to mention paying 20-30 bucks for 3-5(LMAO 5 if ur lucky) eps isn't something most people would want to do . Just like the movie industry why pay 12.50 or more for the movie experience when for about 6 bucks more and a few weeks later I can own the movie and watch it as many times as I want . Same goes for anime Why spend that 20 bucks when I can watch it on tv for free ? this also limits exposer to new anime because anime that doesn't appear on tv people won't buy because 20+ bucks for 3 eps of something you hate is a huge waste of money .

Way I treat dling of anime is this , If I really like I will buy it eventually when I have the extra cash (like I plan to do with blood + ) but if it's just meh then I won't even bother dling it in the first place . Now don't get me wrong I'm not going to buy every anime I watch for free but If one tickles my fancy it will get my buck . but like someone else said on the piracy thread they aren't losing money If I was never going to buy in the first place . So I think this reason for animes downfall in popularity shouldn't be number 1 most direct cause , if anything it's the opposite .

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2009 08:17 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

I think that it's because anime isn't as fresh and new as it used to be. Back in the day, my friends and I would spend far too much money to get anime because it was rare and that was the only way to get it. Now that there is a bunch of anime and manga on the market, as well as internet sources and more fansubbing, there are other places to turn to get the fix.

Pink is the new Pooky
    Party it up in Wallpapers
    | join the AF Gaia guild!
    "Spilt coffee has a sad remembrance of old"- from a plastic bag seen on the train

musing of a mod : Illuminated Spirits : Theme: uber_pink

Azn DambHaH Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-14-2009 06:48 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Amray View Post
    You must be as insane as an insane man that just came out of an insane college in insane land. Just buy them online dude. From an online UK Anime store I bought the whole entire official genuine japanese asian release collection of 'Lucky Star' for 17! Keep in mind that this was before it was released in the US. I know many business sites that sell Anime like that.
    dont jus give me that useless dribble....give me the sites!!!

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Half.com
    Ebay
    amazon
    then you could always just look it up on google.
    but do try to remember that the disc sets of like 25 episodes are to come on 6 discs, not 3 or 4. so that means that they are a pirated copy.
    MySpace FaceBook

Closed Thread

Thread Information