AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: All i wanted was a goddamn keyboard, not eternal damnation in Hell

They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Binoculars Kawaiislice Medkit
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2023 04:46 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default All i wanted was a goddamn keyboard, not eternal damnation in Hell

On cellphones, respectively the ones you buy from your local service provider; the ones that have their logos and modified firmware on them, they used to set them to connect to the GPRS internet when you press the Left, Right, or Middle Softkey on the main screen. This was done intentionally to make you loose about 20 cents per connection, every time you accidentally pressed that button. Bastards, yes; yet, it serves it's evil purpose.
    Now, on my keyboard, and probably yours, too, there is the [Power] button directly above the [Pause] button, DIRECTLY, this means that every time i play Doom, or AvP, or UT in the dark and try to press the Pause button (it's more convenient that Esc) to form a plan or just go drain the liver, i accidentally turn off the computer.
    WHY GOD WHY, would i want to make my computer slowly Shut Down at the quick press of a button on my keyboard, when that button already exists on the central unit!?!?!? What is the purpose of that?
    Do you also have those fancy extra buttons that you never use? How fair do they piss you off?
    Last edited by DOOM!; 01-27-2008 at 02:52 PM.

It's never safe to turn off your computer - Silent Strike

Senior Member MysticEntity has a reputation beyond repute MysticEntity has a reputation beyond repute MysticEntity has a reputation beyond repute MysticEntity has a reputation beyond repute MysticEntity has a reputation beyond repute MysticEntity has a reputation beyond repute MysticEntity has a reputation beyond repute MysticEntity has a reputation beyond repute MysticEntity has a reputation beyond repute MysticEntity has a reputation beyond repute MysticEntity has a reputation beyond repute MysticEntity's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2012 06:00 PM
    Threads

Oh my. I would be pretty pissed too. o_O..Though good thing my pause button is no where near my power button. It seems like they were a bit TOO thoughtful when designing the keyboard
    Turn on a flashlight while you are at your game. >>

Although you know what's ironic? You play Doom, then there is doom....(everything goes dark....)
    Sorry, no joke intended..><
    Last edited by MysticEntity; 01-27-2008 at 03:15 PM.

MoonLight & Vines [*Sig by my dear Sis Lissy*]

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.McDoom!: Reloaded View Post
    On cellphones, respectively the ones you buy from your local service provider; the ones that have their logos and modified firmware on them, they used to set them to connect to the GPRS internet when you press the Left, Right, or Middle Softkey on the main screen. This was done intentionally to make you loose about 20 cents per connection, every time you accidentally pressed that button. Bastards, yes; yet, it serves it's evil purpose.
    Now, on my keyboard, and probably yours, too, there is the [Power] button directly above the [Pause] button, DIRECTLY, this means that every time i play Doom, or AvP, or UT in the dark and try to press the Pause button (it's more convenient that Esc) to form a plan or just go drain the liver, i accidentally turn off the computer.
    WHY GOD WHY, would i want to make my computer slowly Shut Down at the quick press of a button on my keyboard, when that button already exists on the central unit!?!?!? What is the purpose of that?
    Do you also have those fancy extra buttons that you never use? How fair do they piss you off?
    Buy a new $10 USB keyboard with no frills.

Anyway, this thing is a wireless keyboard, and it has plenty of buttons I don't need. The only things that anger me about it are the fact that it has a really stupid layout for the Page Up/Page Down/Home/Delete/End grouping, and that I have to hit the "F Lock" key to get at the F1-F12 buttons instead of the stupid built in macros.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by MysticEntity View Post
    Although you know what's ironic? You play Doom, then there is doom....(everything goes dark....)
    Mmmyeah... though it was furthermore pleonastic than ironic, now that Doom 3 is the equipotent of dark. Sorry about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    Buy a new $10 USB keyboard with no frills.
    Ugh, negative, cap. See, this rubber keyboard which i bought serves me two purposes: Typing and Laying my food on. I cant tear the useless buttons off either because it's all in one piece, and tearing it means i can't wash it in the washing machine anymore.

Senior Member overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2010 03:34 PM
    Threads

you can wash your keyboard!!??
    well that is a rather nifty idea - just learn to work round the button -- err somehow
    could you not reprogram the buttons assined command - I think this is possible with most - but I have no idea how to go about it (something tells me that Eris might know)

sig by shougo amakousa
    Quote Eris:

There are no rules. They are just words on a piece of paper.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

BUY A PROPER KEYBOARD. And by a proper keyboard, I mean the magnificent Logitech Ultra X. Typing on it is better than (atleast bad) sex. Special keys are a safe distance away from all relevant typing and navigation keys. The layout is completely vanilla aside from special keys that are completely separate from the rest of the keyboard, no keys have been added or moved. They feel like a laptop keyboard, without touchpad or rubber-pointing-stick the middle (and no fn-key.) They have just the right resistance, not too much effort (or too much depth), not too little. They're absolutely dreamlike to type on.

Seriously, I'm on my second consecutive keyboard of the exact same design. The old one I used for years until it broke down (I made a memorial in my blog,) so I went and bought another one. And you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

They're not expensive either. More expensive than a generic off the shelf keyboard, but less expensive than an extra-ergonomic MutliMedia super mega hyper entertainment center with built in rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle, 700 special keys in the middle of the keyboard, a completely alien layout and finger-massaging vibrations. (Never buy anything that says "ergonomic". You'll end up throwing it out the window. Save yourself the lawsuit from the guy you'll hit with it.)
    Last edited by Eris; 01-28-2008 at 02:39 PM.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Senior Member Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki's Avatar
    Gil
    Bashful
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-02-2014 04:33 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

OK thats bad why not consider to go with the suggestion as recently posted Manhattan_Project_2000 of maybe buying a new keyboard or just use Esc to pause the game
    Osteoarthritis how many will you save: I am a proud supporter of the fight against Osteoarthritis

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=7XJ7ZG4C5ZGW8

The Rogue... Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-01-2009 05:05 PM
    Threads

Sure,I have such buttons...
    Never used them though it happened from time to time that I'm accidentally shout down the PC or something...
    Pretty disturbing...
    But then I turned off those buttons,so now whenever I press them,nothing happens...
    ...a gift from Balance...the legend itself...

~ click the button,I dare you ~

Nonconfirmist Goatherder Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-20-2016 06:43 PM
    Threads

That why I always buy those old boring full size keyboards, with the standard and no additional buttons.

Senior Member Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Present Bomb Aquarius
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2014 05:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Lol my keyboard doesn't have those...
    I didn't know you could shut down your computer with a keyboard anyway.

ein, zwei, drei, vier bin endlich weg von Dir
    fünf, sechs, sieben, acht Du hast jetzt keine Macht

Senior Member Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2008 07:19 PM
    Threads

Well my laptop keyboard isn't so bad, the escape key actually functions for standby if I use the function key and press Esc (Fn + Esc), which I hardly use at all. The good thing about this is that the power key is situated right at the centre above the keyboard, which isn't going to get pressed accidentally.. Though there is the MediaDirect button several inches off to it - which I guess is like Windows Media Centre..

The worst keyboard I've ever seen and used is one where they put the "Power", "Standby" and "Sleep" keys right next to the Enter key and above the cursors... So often you'll want to hit the Enter key, but hit power and screw yourself...

Same goes for mobile phones. I have a Sony Ericsson with the same problem, until I got onto the GPRS settings and defaulted the connection settings to an incomplete profile, that way when you accidentally press it, you won't go "online" and waste credit.

Gil
    Drunk
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Musaki
    OK thats bad why not consider to go with the suggestion as recently posted Manhattan_Project_2000 of maybe buying a new keyboard or just use Esc to pause the game
    Because i can't give orders or get a better look at the field in the Escape Menu. Plus, my plastic keyboard is all sticky and hairy (i swear i don't know where the hair's from, i think the keyboard grows hair on it's own)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshitsune
    I didn't know you could shut down your computer with a keyboard anyway.
    Much worse than that, i've had/seen keyboards with a huge button that starts IE and takes you to the manufaturer's website.
    Heh, and it looks like Eris is comitting franchise, and on a mediocre product. It's so adequate, i might look for them.

Closed Thread

Thread Information