AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Sentence Translation Help.

Junior Member Takanori Nishikawa is on a distinguished road Takanori Nishikawa's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-14-2008 03:54 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Sentence Translation Help.

I need help again. I'm still somewhat unfamiliar with longer, complex sentences. I'd like to translate the two sentences in my signature.

"Music has the power to inspire people to change the world around them. I want to create a song which influences everyone in this way."

So far what I have is this;

音楽に人々をそれらのまわりで世界を変えるように促す力がある。僕は歌を作成したいと思うこうすればの皆に 影響を及ぼす。

Any corrections would be helpful. I know this kinda sounds wrong to me somehow.

共ありがとうご座居ました!
    "Music has the power to inspire people to change the world around them. I want to create a song which influences everyone in this way."

"I always try to create things that will give people joy."

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

First you need to construct the topic.
    「音楽は・・・」
    'wa' is the topic marker. "Music" is clearly the topic.

*runs away to make way for others*

...so that you know where you can find me

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-11-2008 12:18 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

One timid suggestion direcly after AzureDark's....

Perhaps it would be better to use 「それぞれ」 as opposed to 「それら」. それぞれ carries the meaning that the 人々 can each change the world around them respectively. Does that make sense? それら to me carries more of a feeling of "those (things) over there." I think それぞれ would be more appropriate.

*walks timidly away*
    「つれづれなる涙星になるまで 好きでいてもいいよね?」 - 米倉千尋

--日本語が間違えれば、知らせてお願いいたします!--

AskrJun1 is on a distinguished road AskrJun1's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-25-2008 01:16 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

音楽は人々をそれらのまわりの世界を変えように促す力がある。僕は皆をこう影響する歌を作りた い。

Just my 2 cents.

tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-10-2008 03:59 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

this isn't really the place for u to ask this kind of question (eng --> jap translation) the reason is that none of us here are native japanese speakers. if u want a good natural japanese translation, you'll have to ask a japanese native speaker. we can give u a good natural ENGLISH translation of some japanese text, but not the other way round.
    luckily for u, my japanese buddy just dropped by my house just now and i asked him what's the most NATURAL way (not just direct translation) to translate that sentence. and he said:

音楽には世界を変える力がある。そんな歌で人に影響を与えたい。

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Well I wouldn't say that's wrong but it's not as good a reflection of the original line. If that line was trasnlated back into English it'd come out like:

Music has the power to change the world. (I) would like to influence people with a song like that.

――決められた夢を見るだけの
                 出来そこないの魔法使い――

The walking D.C. encyclopedia. Or something.

tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by AskrJun1 View Post
    Well I wouldn't say that's wrong but it's not as good a reflection of the original line.
    when i first saw the english sentence, witout looking at your version, i translated it as

音楽にはその人の周りの世界を変えるように促す力がある。僕は人にそのような影響を与える歌を作りたいもの だ。

as you can see, it's roughly the same as yours.

but then when i showed it to my japanese friend, he said it sounds "so translated". in other words, it's not what a japanese native speaker would ever say.

he proceeded to say that 人の周り is redundant in that sentence and he cancelled out the 促す as well. then i asked him, "why did you cut out 'inspire'? it's such a good word in english." and he just said that in japanese, 促す does not have such an emboldening nuance as the english version and that it just sounds weird.
    continuing to the 2nd sentence, he said the 僕は is redundant. and then he rephrased the rest of the sentence.

what im saying is, translating between languages (especially something so different as japanese and english) is difficult. you can't just translate the words and put them into some grammar that you've learnt at school and expect it to work as well. if you do that, it will sound really weird and it'll be so obvious that it's translated. some phrases can be said in a language, but can't be said in another language. a very easy example that i always use is: try and translate いただきます into english.

yes, my friend's translation deviated slightly from the original meaning, but sounding natural in the translated language is far more important in my opinion. the best kind of translation is the type where a person reading the translated version doesn't even realise that s/he is reading a translation.

but anyway, you (takanori nishikawa) are just using this for your signature so it doesn't really matter what you put there coz:

1. few people bother to read someone else's signature
    2. almost all the people in this forum can't speak fluent japanese so you can write any japanese sentence there and no one will know its meaning anyway ;-p
    Last edited by tetekmakhang; 01-17-2008 at 04:39 AM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I wasn't so much translating it as taking Takanori's and making it sound less odd. While your line might have sounded natural, it does not reflect the original meaning, and in fact changes it.

There should be a line we draw between sounding perfectly natural and retaining the original meaning. I should point out that a good translation should as much as possible retain what the author is trying to convey and wants to be understood for rather than just making it sound natural to the native ear. I'd personally prefer to read something that doesn't run smoothly but tells me what the author was trying to, rather than something that sounds natural but distorts or doesn't wholely convey the original.

If I was to actually translate that line, can't say it'd be natural or anything, it'd look a little more like this:

音楽には人を世界を変えように励む力がある。そんな影響を与える歌が作りたい。
    Last edited by AskrJun1; 01-17-2008 at 07:16 AM.

――決められた夢を見るだけの
                 出来そこないの魔法使い――

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

well i guess that's where we'll have to agree to disagree.
    let's just leave it to takanori nishikawa to decide what he wants to do.
    btw why did u change your original translation?

音楽は人々をそれらのまわりの世界を変えように促す力がある。僕は皆をこう影響する歌を作りた い。
    became this:

音楽には人を世界を変えように励む力がある。そんな影響を与える歌が作りたい。

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

The points made by both of you have their own merits IMO...

So yea, let Takanori decide...

...so that you know where you can find me

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by tetekmakhang View Post
    well i guess that's where we'll have to agree to disagree.
    let's just leave it to takanori nishikawa to decide what he wants to do.
    btw why did u change your original translation?
    At the start of my post...

Quote Originally Posted by Myself
    I wasn't so much translating it as taking Takanori's and making it sound less odd.

――決められた夢を見るだけの
                 出来そこないの魔法使い――

Closed Thread

Thread Information