AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: [SGI News] Software Engineers Develop 'Stupid Comments Filter' for Forums

Wild Card! SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Fedora Cylon 1970s
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-06-2017 02:05 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default [SGI News] Software Engineers Develop 'Stupid Comments Filter' for Forums

Software engineers told Fortune magazine in November that they are constructing a filter to eliminate stupid messages to online forums and bulletin boards. Lead researcher Gabriel Ortiz said his team had compiled a database of idiotic comments and that the new software would detect unintelligible remarks and either alert the writer to fix them or divert the message to the recipient's "junk mail." Easy dumb messages to filter: those with the tacky, immature repetition of a closing consonant, e.g., "That thing is amazinggggg!!!" More difficult: how to treat sarcasm and irony, in that smart writers sometimes deliberately use dumb statements to mock other writers.

Do You Want To Know More?

Man Charged With Driving Kids In Weirdest Thing Yet
    In October, Beckley, W.Va., police detained a 61-year-old man whom they found at the King Tut Drive-In on a Saturday afternoon, apparently sober, after he had "driven" his four grandchildren, all around age 4, "on a busy street in a 15-foot motorboat pulled by a lawnmower," according to an Associated Press report. The vehicle was of course unregistered and uninspected, and the children not properly seat-restrained, but the man seemed unaware that he had placed the kids in danger.

Man trapped in Club Washroom for Four Days
    A 55-year-old retired Scottish bachelor spent four days trapped in a cold men's washroom at an Aberdeen lawn bowling club because no one knew he was missing.
    David Leggat was trapped last week at the Kittybrewster and Woodside Bowling Club when he entered the washroom and the outer door handle fell off, which jammed the inner handle, the Daily Telegraph said.
    He credited survival training he took years ago for using hot water to keep his feet warm in the unheated washroom during the cold nights, the report said. He said he only had eight hours of daylight per day at the back of the club, which is all but deserted during the winter.
    He had no mobile phone, and the windows were too small to break and climb through, he said.

Kid Hits Button, Foams Airport Hangar
    A curious kid just couldn't resist temptation and hit an emergency button that triggered a sea of fire suppression foam at a Philadelphia airport hangar.
    The expanse of white foam not only filled the hangar Saturday but it spilled out onto the tarmac where the wind blew puffs of it into the air like a snow storm.
    The incident at Northeast Airport occurred during Agusta Aerospace's family day outing. Authorities said an employee's child hit a button that said "Don't hit button unless in an emergency" WPVI-TV in Philadelphia reported.

Ticketed Parrot Focus of Greek Legal Fight
    A parrot facing a parking ticket in the Greek city of Patras is at the center of a legal dispute regarding the bird's alleged extroverted nature.
    Local pet store owner Lambros Michalopoulos has alleged he placed Coco the parrot in a nearby metered zone so the bird could thrive in the busy thoroughfare outside his shop, the BBC reported Sunday.
    Michalopoulos alleged that even after the bird earned a $650 parking ticket, he refused to bring it inside for fear the animal would die without constant interaction.

I'm sure on animeforum there will be mixed reaction for the filter. Some of us will view it as the second coming of Christ, while others are going to be shaking in their shoes.

And how the hell do you only get away with a warning for pulling a boat with a lawnmower? With damn KIDS inside? That really is messed up.
    Last edited by SGI; 12-15-2007 at 02:46 PM.

Godsend Conspirator Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-01-2011 09:12 PM
    Threads

Pulling a boat...with a lawn mower...? O.o I hope he was given a sobriety test. Still, something so...outlandish deserves a harsher punishment. I think? Not really sure how to approach that with anything but laughter.

The Rocker Witch Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2008 12:51 PM
    Threads

A 'Stupid Comments Filter' will be a blessing for me for so many reasons. Mmm, I wonder if the filter will also have a spanish version? Maybe someday I'll go back to spanish forums...

And, how can a parrot have a parking ticket?
    The Member Formerly Known as ~*Haru*~

[ This is my World, and you can't Join it ]
    ×Inhumane and Beautiful×

You're a 90's kid when...
    You know that, before SpongeBob, the Snorkels inhabited the bottom of the Sea.

[~Set done by Megami~]

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SGI View Post
    Software engineers told Fortune magazine in November that they are constructing a filter to eliminate stupid messages to online forums and bulletin boards. Lead researcher Gabriel Ortiz said his team had compiled a database of idiotic comments and that the new software would detect unintelligible remarks and either alert the writer to fix them or divert the message to the recipient's "junk mail." Easy dumb messages to filter: those with the tacky, immature repetition of a closing consonant, e.g., "That thing is amazinggggg!!!" More difficult: how to treat sarcasm and irony, in that smart writers sometimes deliberately use dumb statements to mock other writers.
    Time to break out the old tin foil hat. First it's stupid comments that vanish, and nobody complains except the stupid users. Then comments questioning the president vanish, and nobody complaints at all, because those complaints are also stupid. This sort of technology can go from 0 to 1984 in 4.6 seconds.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Wild Card! SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Fedora Cylon 1970s
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-06-2017 02:05 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Time to break out the old tin foil hat. First it's stupid comments that vanish, and nobody complains except the stupid users. Then comments questioning the president vanish, and nobody complaints at all, because those complaints are also stupid. This sort of technology can go from 0 to 1984 in 4.6 seconds.
    You know that is something I never thought of, quite a good point.

An Interesting (and sadly rather likely) reversal of this would be software that
    'inserted' comments into a post. For example, a forum received a big bag of money from a corporate sponsor to insert 'positive comments' about said sponsor.

For example, in one of those obnoxious vs. threads.

'I fink Goku could beat Naruto anyday of teh wek cuz Naruto ish teh mor0nz

And have you tried the new cheeseburger at McDonalds? It is rich in flavor and provides an exquisite aftertaste. It also contains only 800% of your reccomended intake of fats and calories. I highly recommended this above par food choise for my current relevant meal choice.'

That would be amusing, albeit sad.

Godsend Conspirator Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus has a reputation beyond repute Caelus's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-01-2011 09:12 PM
    Threads

For example, in one of those obnoxious vs. threads.

'I fink Goku could beat Naruto anyday of teh wek cuz Naruto ish teh mor0nz

And have you tried the new cheeseburger at McDonalds? It is rich in flavor and provides an exquisite aftertaste. It also contains only 800% of your reccomended intake of fats and calories. I highly recommended this above par food choise for my current relevant meal choice.'

That would be amusing, albeit sad.

That's horrifying, mostly because I could picture a world where that happens o.o

"Sasuke is ghey!

But I sure do love California Oranges. Pick up some at your local super market"

-flees-

They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Binoculars Kawaiislice Medkit
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2023 04:46 AM
    Threads

Most certainly agreed. I want liberty to post about anything, in this world, that i want. And scew it if my grammar, spelling, or logic does not compute! We don't need no technology to tell /what and /when is stupid, we have moderators for that. And if the moderators mind me saying this, then i dare you to put the damn thing on and STOP MODERATING.

It's never safe to turn off your computer - Silent Strike

¤Ultimate Fear Inducer¤ Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-19-2009 06:33 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Wow,even more interesting news than usual.

-Driving kids in a boat pulled by a lawnmower.That's crazy!xD

-I'm glad to hear that one guy got out of that building.Looks like his survival training was put to some use. o.o

-That kid at the airport doesn't sound too much different than many others.It looks like that childish naivness or curiosity just happened to kick in at a very wrong time and place. XD(actually it depends on his age O.o)

SPARKLE SPARKLE!!! Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra's Avatar
    Gil
    Ornery
    Gifts Tsubasa Mokona Eva Penpen
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-12-2015 07:17 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I read an article about the guy trapped in wash room earlier this week. I found it a bit humorous and a bit sad as it took so long for someone to note his absence.

Moving on to the Parrot, what on earth was it ticketed for? Not putting money in the meter? Loitering? I find it all a bit ridiculous.

And as for that kid who pushed the button that read "Do not push", that just goes to prove reverse psychology works in children. How was he to resist? Will they ever have family day at the airport again? And more importantly, who's picking up the tab for the damage?

And lastly, I have to agree with Eris. It's all too Orwellian to have a filter like that. I'm a great admirer (and defender) of free speech...though sometimes I want to deck people for their use of it. Besides, I like the personal touch of an actual moderator.
    Anime-Tron

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Mom: Iris Brother: Cypher Sister: LPS Boyfriend: Rodimus
    Siggy by DPBM

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I say instead of the stupid filter, we set up a filter and give it moderator powers. Instead of banning based on content, it bans based on non-sensical rules regarding sentience structure (For example, if you start a sentience with the letter "R", you get banned) . Only those that can figure out these rules are allowed to post. Basically, this would mean Eris would be the only non-mod around. But man, would it be funny as it happened!
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think that it would take a huger algorithm to find out whether a post questions anything than it would to find out if a comment is a generic stupid one. In fact, it would be like comparing the programming of Pong to the programming of Halo 3. The filter would have to understand what is actually being said.

Besides, it's a forum, so no one really cares if it doesn't allow certain posts. Moderators can already be gestapo on their forum if they desire. I don't see a problem here.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
    I think that it would take a huger algorithm to find out whether a post questions anything than it would to find out if a comment is a generic stupid one. In fact, it would be like comparing the programming of Pong to the programming of Halo 3. The filter would have to understand what is actually being said.

Besides, it's a forum, so no one really cares if it doesn't allow certain posts. Moderators can already be gestapo on their forum if they desire. I don't see a problem here.
    You would be surprised how advanced text processing and recognition has gotten today. This sort of technology isn't some far-away dystopian nightmare, it's here, now!

If an individual forum moderator goes gestapo, that is not a problem. If the same, automatic moderator, goes gestapo on all forums, cellphone text messages, etc., we've got a problem.

And this isn't just hypothetical, it's fairly similar to the situation in China. Could probably happen here too, I mean, automatic censorship, you just have to cry "Think of the children!" or "It will stop terrorists!", and the law is already signed and passed.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

boopaloop! UrusaiSevera has a reputation beyond repute UrusaiSevera has a reputation beyond repute UrusaiSevera has a reputation beyond repute UrusaiSevera has a reputation beyond repute UrusaiSevera has a reputation beyond repute UrusaiSevera has a reputation beyond repute UrusaiSevera has a reputation beyond repute UrusaiSevera has a reputation beyond repute UrusaiSevera has a reputation beyond repute UrusaiSevera has a reputation beyond repute UrusaiSevera has a reputation beyond repute UrusaiSevera's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2013 10:39 AM
    Trying to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow
    Threads

At first this would be a great system, though like Eris said, 1984 isn't far around the corner here. Though I would love to see some of the blibbering idiots that frequent the forums banned or at least subjected to some, in their eyes, torment.

Man trapped in Club Washroom for Four Days
    Just lift the door of the hinges or slam the hinges away with a toiletseat. Isn't that what they learn you in the most basic of survival training?

Ticketed Parrot Focus of Greek Legal Fight
    So what if he had placed the parrot in a tree or set the bird on a bench? Would he still have received the ticket? And how did they give the bird a ticket in the first place? Stick it on him with a piece of Sellotape?
    Quite an amusing story indeed.

Her nickname at age 11. Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2010 05:44 PM
    Threads

Haha, wow. I don't even need to read the first post and I'm already laughing.

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

You would be surprised how advanced text processing and recognition has gotten today. This sort of technology isn't some far-away dystopian nightmare, it's here, now!

If an individual forum moderator goes gestapo, that is not a problem. If the same, automatic moderator, goes gestapo on all forums, cellphone text messages, etc., we've got a problem.

And this isn't just hypothetical, it's fairly similar to the situation in China. Could probably happen here too, I mean, automatic censorship, you just have to cry "Think of the children!" or "It will stop terrorists!", and the law is already signed and passed.
    I still think you're jumping the gun though. It's a filter, not an automatic moderator. This filter doesn't sound much different than a junk mail filter which is put on a forum. If there is such text recognition to do such, and I have no idea whether there is or not, I don't think junk mail filtering comes close to it.
    If companies are filtering text messages already, that alone is the problem. Not simple filtering. I think there is going to be strict restrictions on any system that uses AI.

Closed Thread

Thread Information