AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: What I've Noticed

Decendent Of Fianna Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-11-2013 03:47 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default What I've Noticed

Most threads here in the music section, in general are mostly filled with the following. J-Pop and Rock aswell as Bands. Of course this is basically what the topic is formally for i suppose. However, doesnt that seem a bit like a stereo type? that since you like Anime, you have to be into rock or j-pop. im not saying that im not but i am. And as well as the general topic states (and other music) im sure everyone would agree with me, we like other music as well. now what exactly would that be? hrm. . .

Hip-Hop
    R&B
    Techno
    Rave
    Rap

so im sure everyone else likes different types of genras aswell. sure there are good. . .maybe countless musicians that are good and what not, but can you name ones that have no relation to rock or j-pop/or japanese oriented.
    "I have Negative Rep, help me on the quest to obtain 0 rep points"
    Current Rep: -1478 <--Mission Start.
    Thank You To All Supporters

Jumonji Baka Kawaii IV
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2009 09:27 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Orca View Post
    Most threads here in the music section, in general are mostly filled with the following. J-Pop and Rock aswell as Bands. Of course this is basically what the topic is formally for i suppose. However, doesnt that seem a bit like a stereo type? that since you like Anime, you have to be into rock or j-pop. im not saying that im not but i am. And as well as the general topic states (and other music) im sure everyone would agree with me, we like other music as well. now what exactly would that be? hrm. . .

Hip-Hop
    R&B
    Techno
    Rave
    Rap

so im sure everyone else likes different types of genras aswell. sure there are good. . .maybe countless musicians that are good and what not, but can you name ones that have no relation to rock or j-pop/or japanese oriented.
    No. That doesn't seem like a stereo-type. Take Masali for example. He doesn't particularly care for j-rock or j-pop, yet he watches anime. And another thing, what are you trying to get at? What discussion are you trying to start? You're just stating that people like different music which is true. If you do, go to the Bands forum and start a thread about an artist you like. Simple, no? But honestly, I have no clue what you're trying to talk about.

深く根ざした||傷は消えない
    Hide it, Hide it, Hide me

♥ Red Haired Boy jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-01-2008 06:02 PM
    Threads

I think it's kinda true that forums like these lack subjects on such music genres but I don't think anime comes with a certain style of music you have to like. I like to dance, so hip hop and R&B is kinda in my nature.
    ~I'll never wish on another star again~

Just another crazy girl...
    hungry for your
    hot love

Don Asterisco TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-03-2019 06:04 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Parugin

It's not that people here like rock, it's that they like skilless thrash, industrial rock, hard rock and heavy metal. Whenever I bring up real rock (70's, people), it's dismissed. This is not a reflection of anime fans but the skill-devoid music popular today.
    There is also a pervasive hatred of synths and keyboards here, which I do not appreciate.
    And, in all honesty, I've never come across a truly worthwhile band from Japan.
    And as you whine about a (percieved) lack of Hip-hop, techno, rave, R&B, and rap (all of which have been mentioned several times, at least), I sit and wonder where the progressive rock is; it seems like Ryth and I are the only ones who care.
    There is little mention of classical music which, IMNSHO, is alright if from the Romantic era.
    I find it strange that Japanese music seems so popular here; I've always watched the American dubs of anime whenever possible not so much for the voices but more to avoid the sporadic, ill-conceived, thematically irrelevant music that is all too often plopped into anime (Naruto is one of the worst, and they didn't even bother to replace it).

Convoluted Rant Completed. You May Commence with the Tomato Hurling.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsterisk! View Post
    It's not that people here like rock, it's that they like skilless thrash, industrial rock, hard rock and heavy metal. Whenever I bring up real rock (70's, people), it's dismissed. This is not a reflection of anime fans but the skill-devoid music popular today.
    My problem with 70's progressive has always been that they get so wrapped up in being good players that they rarely seem to manage being good musicians.

To use a slightly off example, take Joe Satriani's Surfing with the Alien. While you can't listen to it and say that Satriani sucks as a guitarist, it still doesn't make his guitar-masturbation all that interesting. The flip side is a band like Nirvana, who's lead singer isn't a great guitar player, much less a flexible singer, and who's bass player is fairly forgettable. They manage to make great songs, mostly on the strength of their songwriting and drumming.

And while I don't agree with you that 70's Prog was the pinnacle of musical expression, I will agree that most of the people on here listen to music with no redeeming features what so ever.
    There is also a pervasive hatred of synths and keyboards here, which I do not appreciate.
    T'was a joke.

And as you whine about a (percieved) lack of Hip-hop, techno, rave, R&B, and rap (all of which have been mentioned several times, at least), I sit and wonder where the progressive rock is; it seems like Ryth and I are the only ones who care.
    There is little mention of classical music which, IMNSHO, is alright if from the Romantic era.
    I find it strange that Japanese music seems so popular here; I've always watched the American dubs of anime whenever possible not so much for the voices but more to avoid the sporadic, ill-conceived, thematically irrelevant music that is all too often plopped into anime (Naruto is one of the worst, and they didn't even bother to replace it).
    I'll agree about the anime fan music in Anime. I can count the number of shows with decent soundtracks on one hand, namely FLCL and Cowboy Bebop.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Don Asterisco TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    1) My problem with 70's progressive has always been that they get so wrapped up in being good players that they rarely seem to manage being good musicians.

?) To use a slightly off example, take Joe Satriani's Surfing with the Alien. While you can't listen to it and say that Satriani sucks as a guitarist, it still doesn't make his guitar-masturbation all that interesting. The flip side is a band like Nirvana, who's lead singer isn't a great guitar player, much less a flexible singer, and who's bass player is fairly forgettable. They manage to make great songs, mostly on the strength of their songwriting and drumming.

2) And while I don't agree with you that 70's Prog was the pinnacle of musical expression, I will agree that most of the people on here listen to music with no redeeming features what so ever.

3) T'was a joke.

4) I'll agree about the anime fan music in Anime. I can count the number of shows with decent soundtracks on one hand, namely FLCL and Cowboy Bebop.
    1) Yes, Kansas were great, but there were many go-off-on-a-musical-tangent-prone groups. I am not talking about Jethro Tull, here, nor about Art Rock. I use the term to refer to music that draws from classical works. Yes, ELP (sometimes), Kansas (YES, YOU, THEY DO USE VIOLIN REMINISCENT OF MID-19TH CENTURY AMERICA!), and, occaisionally, King Crimson all would fit into this grouping.
    Nirvana's success is/was merely a popular refusal to declare them untalented hacks and break out the old albums.
    ?) I don't think I can ever sway you here...
    2) I said 70's music, not only prog rock. I also enjoy Aerosmith, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Journey, KISS (skilless, I know, but a great show), Rush (borderline prog/heavy metal), The Beatles (the 60's was crap), The Rolling Stones (same), and others. I also dabble in the 80's.
    3) The scenario of MOOG v. KEYTAR is no laughing matter, MP2K.
    (whispers) And it isn't just you.
    4) FLCL may have music that doesn't make me grind my teeth, but the convoluted plot (whose existence I have not yet confirmed) ensures that my head explodes.
    Is it just me, or does Cowboy Bebop (in either the end credits or the opening- I don't remember) use Rush's "La Villa Strangiato"? It sure sounds like it to me...

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

2) I said 70's music, not only prog rock. I also enjoy Aerosmith, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Journey, KISS (skilless, I know, but a great show), Rush (borderline prog/heavy metal), The Beatles (the 60's was crap), The Rolling Stones (same), and others. I also dabble in the 80's.
    I've listened to a lot of 70s after I became completely disenchanted with my radio station (I moved back to it 6 mo. later after hearing every classic rock song 40 times over), and while I will completely disagree about Areosmith, AC/DC, and KISS being at all good, I do enjoy most of those bands. But the only bands from the 70's that I really, really love are Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, and The Dead Kennedys.
    4) FLCL may have music that doesn't make me grind my teeth, but the convoluted plot (whose existence I have not yet confirmed) ensures that my head explodes.
    I never thought its plot was all that hard to discern. Then again, I watch a lot of postmodern cinema. It's normal/sequential, but there are a few layers and a lot of symbolism. It might help if you read the manga- it makes even less sense on its own, but together they give insight into some of the odder bits.

Is it just me, or does Cowboy Bebop (in either the end credits or the opening- I don't remember) use Rush's "La Villa Strangiato"? It sure sounds like it to me...
    Opening was defintily Tank by The Seatbelts (e.g. Yoko Kanno's band), and I think almost all the music is by them. Wiki says the ending themes are Real Folk Blues (most episodes), White Lion (episode 13), and Blue (episode 26), all by The Seatbelts.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Well, sure. A lot of them fall into that stereotype. That's because, if you haven't noticed, a lot of these anime fans love to group themselves into those highschool cliques like "goth" and "emo" and the rest, avidly speaking out against anything other than death metal and other sorts of tasteless music. You'll find very few people here who like rap or hiphop. There's also the now-and-again sight of someone who likes techno, the occasional experimental fan, or ambient fan. I'm sure you can find the occasional rap thread if you look, but they typically don't get many posts, and about half of what they get persists of "rap sucks". Of course, their arguements are more often then not going to be baseless or hypocritical.

And don't be fooled that they like j-rock or j-pop. They like a handful of songs that artist _____ did for anime _____, ______, and _____. And they also like to swoon over feminine-male-rockers ______, ______, and ______. Sure, there's some that actually do like j-pop and j-rock, and actually have CDs and DVDs, and actually know something about the bands they like, and keep up to date with them...but most are just saying it because "it iz b frum japan n is grate". For example, my favorite band is Japanese...not because they are Japanese, but because I think they are really good. I have all their CDs, DVDs, etc, I keep up to date with them, I know when single/album releases are, etc. It's Asian Kung-Fu Generation, if you were wondering. Now, check the thread for Favorite Japanese Bands, or whatever it is called...you'll see them listed there many times. But, it's much more than likely that the only songs they've heard by AKFG are "Haruka Kanata" which appeared in Naruto, and "Rewrite", which appeared in Full Metal Alchemist...neither of which I believe is really representational of what AKFG is now, though both are certainly great. I really don't give a damn where a band is from, so long as they are good.

Some of what I like that isn't rock,
    Wu Tang Clan
    Eminem
    Five Deez
    Brian Eno
    Fatboy Slim
    DJ Shadow
    Kanye West
    Nujabes
    Danger Doom
    Fantastic Plastic Machine
    Buffalo Daughter
    Coldcut
    James Brown, on occasion
    Massive Attack

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Decendent Of Fianna Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Convoluted Rant Completed. You May Commence with the Tomato Hurling.

Being a young person, I assume it came natural not to 'get into' 'real rock' as you put it. Since i was not born in the 70s to experience it. I never in anymeans meant to say there was a lack of music that i like. I was just listing what I was into, other than j-pop/rock etc.

Junior Member hiranojun is on a distinguished road hiranojun's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-08-2007 05:16 AM
    Threads

To Topic: In general, anyone would come up with their own preferences but I've seen enough bands than pop. I recall a thread about J-pop but now it has been removed. J-pop is massive in Japan and it won't be referred as anime without that type of genre.

Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Thumbs up ...Young Person?...

Being a young person, I assume it came natural not to 'get into' 'real rock' as you put it. Since i was not born in the 70s to experience it. I never in anymeans meant to say there was a lack of music that i like. I was just listing what I was into, other than j-pop/rock etc.
    I'm only a year older than you, you "young person."
    ...And I'm not launching an offensive...unless, of course, you disgrace the great SYNTHESIZER!

The Rogue... Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-01-2009 05:05 PM
    Threads

I have quoted only the last few sentences,because that's basically only thing worthy of replying to it...
    Can I name ones that aren't related...
    Basically,about 70&#37; of todays music are having their roots in old rock music...the traditional rock music...
    So there are not many that you can name,not?

How about Agonoize,Grendel or God Module...

...a gift from Balance...the legend itself...

~ click the button,I dare you ~

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I'm only a year older than you, you "young person."
    ...And I'm not launching an offensive...unless, of course, you disgrace the great SYNTHESIZER!

Haha no no of course not, i just usually don't believe given ages on the internet, so i assumed otherwise. hey i suppose ethnicity plays part of what people tend to listen to. Or am i wrong by saying that? since it somewhat goes back to stereotyping.

/v|;/|/|) `|`}{;(-'/-'' daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2016 05:43 PM

I guess it comes with the territory...

Anime fan = J-pop/J-rock fan
    feed your monster

Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

(1) Haha no no of course not, i just usually don't believe given ages on the internet, so i assumed otherwise. (2) hey i suppose ethnicity plays part of what people tend to listen to. Or am i wrong by saying that? since it somewhat goes back to stereotyping.
    (1) NLOL.
    (2) Statistically speaking, I'm sure there is some way to tell, but I don't think it will hold true for individuals.

Closed Thread

Thread Information