AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: えりして What is the meaning of this word?

Junior Member raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-24-2009 03:16 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default えりして What is the meaning of this word?

It is from this sentence, "死にかけた恐怖で 子供がえりしていたらしい" It is a combination of 得る? Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by raintree_leaf; 12-01-2007 at 02:36 AM.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-25-2008 11:32 PM
    Threads

Not really sure without kanji, but from saying it out aloud I'd have translated it as "choose" (選り, whose meaning has to do with choosing or selecting something, though I haven't encountered the word used that way before. It's usually 選ぶ).

If my guess is right, the sentence itself would then be translated as:
    For fear of dying, [whoever is being spoken about] seemed to have chosen the child.

But again, like I said, saying it that way sounds a little strange to me (I'd have said 選ぶ), so there's a possibility I'm wrong.

下げ下げ下げ下げ

In case any of you want to correct, question, comment on, or suggest anything to me regarding my translations or use of Japanese, please do. My sources of learning have all been listening to people and kinda forcing my brain to interpret, rather than actually translate like a dictionary.
    I understand I'll make many mistakes (I'd be surprised if I translate something mistake-free) but you have to understand that I'm doing my best.

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

No, I'm thinking that it's from 'kodomogaeri suru', a compound verb.

"(The subject) has been so terrified to death, he looks to have turned child-like." implying a near-death has traumatised the subject to an extent that it damaged their mental health.

...so that you know where you can find me

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I second that. Google indicates the phrase refers to a psycological symptom, where a person who has reached an age at which a certain level of independence is expected beings to rely heavily on a parental figure to an unhealthy level (a teenager to his parents, a husband to wife or vice versa). For your information, a more medical sounding equivalent appears to be 「退行」.

However, I suppose the definition is probably broadened enough in everyday usage to approximate the usage of what AzureDark said above.

I'm not positive but the appropriate kanji is probably 子どもり.

返る (かえる)-> to return, to revert
    Last edited by Datenshi; 12-03-2007 at 04:54 AM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information