AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: 話は別だけど

Hybrid View

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Vagrere is a splendid one to behold Vagrere is a splendid one to behold Vagrere is a splendid one to behold Vagrere is a splendid one to behold Vagrere is a splendid one to behold Vagrere is a splendid one to behold Vagrere is a splendid one to behold Vagrere's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-09-2011 06:34 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default 話は別だけど

Another phrase I've run across a couple of times and haven't been able to find a satisfactory definition for is 話は別だけど (and some similar variations). From what I can piece together from context, it seems to run along the same lines as "but that's a different story," or "That's another matter, though." Still, I'd like some confirmation (though denials with corrections are always welcome, too).

Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-25-2008 11:32 PM
    Threads

When I first saw it before clicking the topic, I first thought of "but that story is different." So I guess your translation is about the same as mine, though I'm not saying I'm all that reliable a source.

I've never come across this phrase before. Or if I have, I never gave it much thought, since it seems like the kind of thing that just slides into conversations, with pretty literal wording. I guess any more context would have to be observed from the sentence it's used in.

Any example from where you first/most noticeably found this such phrase?

下げ下げ下げ下げ

In case any of you want to correct, question, comment on, or suggest anything to me regarding my translations or use of Japanese, please do. My sources of learning have all been listening to people and kinda forcing my brain to interpret, rather than actually translate like a dictionary.
    I understand I'll make many mistakes (I'd be surprised if I translate something mistake-free) but you have to understand that I'm doing my best.

tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-10-2008 03:59 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

your guess that it roughly means "but that's a different story," or "That's another matter, though." is absolutely spot on.

and example sentence would be:

歌がうまかったら話は別なんだけど、あんなださい歌ばっかり出してるのになんでそんなに人気あ るんだろう?

(If their songs were good then it'd be a totally different story, but how come they're so popular even though they keep releasing such crappy songs?)

Closed Thread

Thread Information