AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Subtext in Sailor Moon

Member Njrotcgurl has a reputation beyond repute Njrotcgurl has a reputation beyond repute Njrotcgurl has a reputation beyond repute Njrotcgurl has a reputation beyond repute Njrotcgurl has a reputation beyond repute Njrotcgurl has a reputation beyond repute Njrotcgurl has a reputation beyond repute Njrotcgurl has a reputation beyond repute Njrotcgurl has a reputation beyond repute Njrotcgurl has a reputation beyond repute Njrotcgurl has a reputation beyond repute Njrotcgurl's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-05-2007 06:47 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Subtext in Sailor Moon

I don't know if it's just me, but I think there's alot of subtext in Sailor Moon.Tell me what you think. Is there more going on than what we're shown?

Njrotcgurl

Member Jack Ripper, The is a splendid one to behold Jack Ripper, The is a splendid one to behold Jack Ripper, The is a splendid one to behold Jack Ripper, The is a splendid one to behold Jack Ripper, The is a splendid one to behold Jack Ripper, The is a splendid one to behold Jack Ripper, The is a splendid one to behold Jack Ripper, The is a splendid one to behold Jack Ripper, The's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-03-2007 08:59 AM
    Threads

Your spot on. I've always that there was alot of subtext in SM. Let's face it, Haruka and Michiru wasn't the only Scout couple. Not that I mind

Jack Ripper, The

Senior Member 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2010 11:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ripper, The View Post
    Your spot on. I've always that there was alot of subtext in SM. Let's face it, Haruka and Michiru wasn't the only Scout couple. Not that I mind

Lol, if you're implying that there are other yuri couples with the senshi, you'd be rather wrong. Unless you're talking about Usagi and Seiya. Then you'd be half-right. But I assure you, the rest of the senshi are straight as a pin. They're FRIENDS. *sigh* Although in the manga, I'm not so sure about Rei. Rei claims that she hates men. lol
    Last edited by 小美ドクロchan; 11-17-2007 at 08:56 AM.

Senior Member Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-26-2012 08:04 PM
    Threads

Yeah, Rei's just anti-men and very independent (maybe to a fault), but definitely not lesbian.

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-15-2014 09:47 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

I dont think thats the case, since there were several episodes where Rei was practically connected at the hip with Momoru, then she backed off when he was destined to be with Usagi. Her and Chad have always had a sorta silent love for each other.

But yes, in the English version, they made Michiru and Haraku "cousins" for the young american audience. Im pretty sure SM was meant to be for ages 14+

Senior Member Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-26-2012 08:04 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by MaruDashi View Post
    I dont think thats the case, since there were several episodes where Rei was practically connected at the hip with Momoru, then she backed off when he was destined to be with Usagi.
    We were talking about Rei in the manga, lol.

Senior Member Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-30-2009 06:28 PM
    Threads

The 'cousins' thing with Haruka and Michiru was just...goofy. I remember watching it the first time and thinking they must be cousins having a romantic affair. I was a bit relieved to discover they weren't REALLY related. I think the English dubbers would have been better off just telling everyone the truth. O.o

On topic though, I thought there was a bit of subtext between Rei and Minako in the live-action Sailor Moon.
    Ish hogtied, mostly, on a grill, oh, baby, covered in chocolate, mostly,
    with a banana in his mouth. Oh, oh, baby, if only Ai were that chick....

~AnimeGlobe, Old Skool - Society for the Creative Eating of the Ish~

The Janitor Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-12-2011 10:55 AM
    Threads

Default Oooooh..

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    Yeah, Rei's just anti-men and very independent (maybe to a fault), but definitely not lesbian.
    I remember an episode where Rei had a crush with Haruka thinking she was a guy, but then again i must have dream it...but I watched it recently, that is one of my favorite episodes.. It is when they still do not know the identities of the outer senshis.

YAY... It appear that BOREDOM strikes quite often!!

Just Some Color Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-15-2014 05:07 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Rei and Minako in the manga have a similar close relationship to that shared between Rei and Usagi in the anime. I always had the impression that there was an intimacy hinted at in the manga which wasn't carried over to the anime. I imagine to cover it up they introduced Yuuichirou to help pacify rumors about Rei (as she does state she hates men in the manga) and switched the relationship to Usagi, who was conveniently tied to Mamoru.

Overall I found the manga to be pretty blatant with its context, with very little of that carried over to the anime. Haruka and Michiru were toned down, the affection Haruka had for Usagi was toned down (how about that manga kiss?), say no more about Minako and Rei, and so on an so forth...

Senior Member 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2010 11:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Sonata View Post
    The 'cousins' thing with Haruka and Michiru was just...goofy. I remember watching it the first time and thinking they must be cousins having a romantic affair. I was a bit relieved to discover they weren't REALLY related. I think the English dubbers would have been better off just telling everyone the truth. O.o
    I KNOW, man Cloverway was so retarded. I was like "OMG who are YOU trying to kid!? You phail at life!" Cousins indeed!

Ah, yes, Haruka definitely had a thing for Usagi. That much is true.

Just Some Color Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-15-2014 05:07 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Made much more obvious in the manga. Yes.

Closed Thread

Thread Information