AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: With great age comes great wisdom

Senior Member dragon_nataku has a reputation beyond repute dragon_nataku has a reputation beyond repute dragon_nataku has a reputation beyond repute dragon_nataku has a reputation beyond repute dragon_nataku has a reputation beyond repute dragon_nataku has a reputation beyond repute dragon_nataku has a reputation beyond repute dragon_nataku has a reputation beyond repute dragon_nataku has a reputation beyond repute dragon_nataku has a reputation beyond repute dragon_nataku has a reputation beyond repute dragon_nataku's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-21-2007 03:43 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default With great age comes great wisdom

So. Do you believe in this old adage, that "with great age comes great wisdom"? Are people who are older than you really all that much smarter than you? Are people who are younger than you really dumber?

Personally, I get annoyed by this idea. Yeah, looking at my age over on the left there, one might think that on a forum such as this I'd think I know everything or something. As I've said in another thread, I still look and sound 17 or so, which presents many problems, especially concerning this quote. People randomly assume they're smarter than I am just because I look young. I prefer not to talk about my IQ cause then it sounds like I'm bragging, but suffice to say I'm smarter than the average person, and I really don't like my intelligence being underestimated for stupid reasons.

But it's not just my personal situation that influences my view on such things. I honestly think that the way one acts is more important than one's actual age. You could be 13 and I could still respect you for your ideas and points of view if they make sense to me or are presented in a mature manner, and doesn't necessarily have to be a view I agree with. On the flip side of the coin, you could be 70 and I could still think you're an idiot from the way you act (like when my dad yells at me because his computer isn't working properly...).

So... what do you think of this quote? Discuss.

Walkthroughs at . : Shades of Silence : .

WARNING: This poster is clinically insane. Approach with caution.

JE SUIS LE GRAND FROMAGE! JE MANGE TA TETE!
    ... see? What'd I tell ya? INSANITY!

Senior Member Niome! has a reputation beyond repute Niome! has a reputation beyond repute Niome! has a reputation beyond repute Niome! has a reputation beyond repute Niome! has a reputation beyond repute Niome! has a reputation beyond repute Niome! has a reputation beyond repute Niome! has a reputation beyond repute Niome! has a reputation beyond repute Niome! has a reputation beyond repute Niome! has a reputation beyond repute Niome!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-26-2007 02:31 AM
    Atlantis, in the Depen Inn having a drink with Barbarossa
    Threads

All it really is that people who are in their 30's or 40's experienced far more, went more more often, seen, felt, learned, understood than you and it doesn't apply to everyone in any age group, or could.

Like-wise, it does hold weight though that 9/10 if you're a teenager and you think you probably for who knows have more sex experience than something in their 40's, well I doubt they'll be 40 Year Old Virgins.

To me it has nothing to do with how someones behavior is. You can be the biggest pervert in the world and either never saw a vagina or did and did anything more than stare at one. While someone who's 12 got pregnant twice, made out with lesbians and dances naked around bonfires.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon_nataku
    (like when my dad yells at me because his computer isn't working properly...).
    My grandparents are the same.

See?

They grew up most of their lives in a time when hool'i'hoops and playing outside were really the only thing to do but now with buttons and electronics, somebody sure needs help with the remote or even VCR (DVDS!?) from time to time.

God I love My First Mister...
    Last edited by Niome!; 11-08-2007 at 12:21 PM.
    "Gotta take the good with the bad, smile to the sad, love what you got and remember what you had." - Project Pat

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dragon_nataku View Post
    So. Do you believe in this old adage, that "with great age comes great wisdom"? Are people who are older than you really all that much smarter than you? Are people who are younger than you really dumber?
    Not really. There are people with great age who are senile, and only are capable of word salad. There are also very wise young people, and very stupid middle aged people. There's some wisdom to be gained with age, but there are certainly exceptions. I largely blame the youth cult for this. The people that can not live with the fact that they are no longer 20, and smear themselves with anti-wrinkle cream and dye their graying hair. If you can not overcome the fact that you're old, you may neither reap the benefits of it.

I would agree with the modified statement "With great age comes great wisdom, but it is founded in youth."
    Last edited by Eris; 11-08-2007 at 02:15 PM.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

[Waltzing Catastrophe] Aki no iko has a reputation beyond repute Aki no iko has a reputation beyond repute Aki no iko has a reputation beyond repute Aki no iko has a reputation beyond repute Aki no iko has a reputation beyond repute Aki no iko has a reputation beyond repute Aki no iko has a reputation beyond repute Aki no iko has a reputation beyond repute Aki no iko has a reputation beyond repute Aki no iko has a reputation beyond repute Aki no iko has a reputation beyond repute Aki no iko's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-28-2013 06:53 PM
    Threads

Well I'm an iffy on this one. I believe with experience comes wisdom. Of course, the older they get, the more experience they witness, right? I dunno, but that's what I think.

Senior Member Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Pink Ribbon Neko Tv Hello Kitty
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-19-2013 07:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It depends on the person. I know people who are younger than me who are as wiser than older people I know.

Bring me back!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by edward10 View Post
    I'm looking for episodes that have hungry girls with growling stomachs
    I lol'd at this

The spawn of Lou Barlow! Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-22-2010 08:10 PM
    Threads

You gain more life experience as you get older. But just because someone experiences something doesn't mean they've suddenly become wise or have learned anything from it.

Just because someone is older than you doesn't mean you're any less intelligent than they are.

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2008 12:30 PM
    Threads

People often mistake experience for wisdom. With age comes experience, and all other things aside, experience is a great foundation for wisdom to be built upon.

As smart as a young person may be, without experience, he's still most likely not prepared to go out on his own.

Animepedia.com -- Part of the Anime Globe network.
    Come share your wealth of anime knowledge with the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jack of Blades~ View Post
    Because evaporation is a ninja ...so you can't see it =o
    You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

Senior Member starrenite has a reputation beyond repute starrenite has a reputation beyond repute starrenite has a reputation beyond repute starrenite has a reputation beyond repute starrenite has a reputation beyond repute starrenite has a reputation beyond repute starrenite has a reputation beyond repute starrenite has a reputation beyond repute starrenite has a reputation beyond repute starrenite has a reputation beyond repute starrenite has a reputation beyond repute starrenite's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-16-2009 10:59 AM
    Threads

I agree with your view on it 100%. I work with a bunch of MOB's (miserable old bastards) and I've come to realize that most adults are still just over grown kids. I'm 22 and I look like I'm 16, which is a really huge issue for me because I get no respect whatsoever. An example, yesterday I was trying to talk to this Gate Agent about how they aren't going to close the smoking break rooms out on the Ramp, and as I was in mid-sentenced she looked away and this 40something year old ramp lady interrupted me IN MID SENTENCE and started talking about how she thinks they're going to close the break room. =_= meh.

Honor those the dragons heed in thoughts and favor, word and deed.
    Worlds are lost or worlds are saved from the dangers dragon-braved.

Senior Member chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-01-2008 04:40 PM
    Threads

Just what is a wise person?!? Define the word wise.
    Though I think that the statement is about right. But only to a certain age.

Don Asterisco TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-03-2019 06:04 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Parugin

Wise does not mean intelligent or experienced. I am fairly intelligent, but I have neither experience nor wisdom.
    Experience is gained through (usually painful) events in life, usually over time.
    Wisdom is gained by drawing astute conclusions from these experiences.
    Not everyone can become wise, but (for most) age and experience are needed to do so.

Stick Master unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-12-2010 02:51 PM
    Threads

Personally I believe it is all depending on what that individual has done in their life. Life wisdom is gained with experience, you can be 50 years old, but if you've never driven, you aren't automatically wise to the ways of the automobile, you see? I know 15 yr olds that know more about css than I do. Age isn't really the factor, it's experience.

Get crazy with the cheezwiz

[I like cookies & beer]

¤Ultimate Fear Inducer¤ Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-19-2009 06:33 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think that saying is somewhat true a lot of the time.I belive myself that actual 'intelligence' is gained when your young,but when your older that intelligence is put to work and you gain more experience.I believe that actual 'wisdom' is intelligence combined with experience.So in my opinion 'wisdom' is kind of gained through age.It just depends on someone's definition of what wisdom is.

Senior Member Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata has a reputation beyond repute Inamorata's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-10-2011 02:34 AM
    Threads

I believe its what you do that defines who you are. That saying applies to all ages. If you make good choices, that generally makes you wise. Also you learn from yours' and others' mistakes. So no matter how old you are you will learn from experience. And experiencing things will last you the rest of your life. Knowledge truely is endless.
    Last edited by Inamorata; 11-09-2007 at 07:03 PM.

Corrupted Data Inc. CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Cookie Ice Cream Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2014 09:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Yeah, agree. More experience means more wisdom in dealing with a situation. Age doesn't really matter. I know some kids who are more mature than I am. And I know some adults who are as wise as a kid. In the end, experience matters where wisdom is involved.

boopaloop! Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-19-2013 11:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Regex View Post
    People often mistake experience for wisdom. With age comes experience, and all other things aside, experience is a great foundation for wisdom to be built upon.

As smart as a young person may be, without experience, he's still most likely not prepared to go out on his own.
    I'm with this.
    making emo kids[/URL] cry since 1998

Jose101's Chevalier #4 rubberbabybuggybumper has a reputation beyond repute rubberbabybuggybumper has a reputation beyond repute rubberbabybuggybumper has a reputation beyond repute rubberbabybuggybumper has a reputation beyond repute rubberbabybuggybumper has a reputation beyond repute rubberbabybuggybumper has a reputation beyond repute rubberbabybuggybumper has a reputation beyond repute rubberbabybuggybumper has a reputation beyond repute rubberbabybuggybumper has a reputation beyond repute rubberbabybuggybumper has a reputation beyond repute rubberbabybuggybumper has a reputation beyond repute rubberbabybuggybumper's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2008 12:11 PM
    In Hamashimura's "dungeon"...if you know what I mean
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsterisk! View Post
    Wise does not mean intelligent or experienced. I am fairly intelligent, but I have neither experience nor wisdom.
    Experience is gained through (usually painful) events in life, usually over time.
    Wisdom is gained by drawing astute conclusions from these experiences.
    Not everyone can become wise, but (for most) age and experience are needed to do so.
    You know, I'm noticing I'm agreeing with you on alot of things...

Anyway, as you say, wisdom is something different from intelligence. From my understanding, wisdom is insight through personal experience. It's a person's understanding of life and ability to make true and just decisions.

To me intelligence is a person's capacity to learn and relay information in a coherent, articulate manner. I know coherent and articulate are synonyms but I like the sound and fluidity of the sentence.

Anyway, to put it another way, I will quote a friend of mine "Intelligence is book smarts and wisdom is street smarts."

So really the adage holds true because it is the elderly who have experienced the most in their lives and have the ability to relate to various situations. They can provide insight into how to live life and be better people.
    ~Yay! This is the first sig I ever made!~
    Wanna be friends? Just drop me a line.
    My family is in my blog. Pm me to become a member.
    The more the merrier!

Member Rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Rebellion's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-02-2008 03:04 PM
    Jumping over the moon with the cow 'cuz we have mad skillz.
    Threads

I believe that the quote, "with great age comes great wisdom" is a bit off. It all comes down to pure experience. For instance, an older person may have had a lot of experiences, but there will always be something they've never been through that a person younger than them has.

Something bothers me about the word "wisdom" though. It just doesn't seem like the right word.
    [made by MaruDashi. Thanks!]
    {KCB fan!||Love. Laugh. Live.}

~~~
    Kick Chop Busters!
    ~~~

Don Asterisco TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-03-2019 06:04 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Parugin

Quote Originally Posted by rubberbabybuggybumper View Post
    You know, I'm noticing I'm agreeing with you on alot of things...

Anyway, as you say, wisdom is something different from intelligence. From my understanding, wisdom is insight through personal experience. It's a person's understanding of life and ability to make true and just decisions.

To me intelligence is a person's capacity to learn and relay information in a coherent, articulate manner. I know coherent and articulate are synonyms but I like the sound and fluidity of the sentence.

Anyway, to put it another way, I will quote a friend of mine "Intelligence is book smarts and wisdom is street smarts."

So really the adage holds true because it is the elderly who have experienced the most in their lives and have the ability to relate to various situations. They can provide insight into how to live life and be better people.
    QUITE!!!
    Street smarts, in this sense, means an understanding of life not specific to any generation.
    Not all old folks are wise, but there are far more wise elders than wise youngsters.

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Niome! View Post
    Like-wise, it does hold weight though that 9/10 if you're a teenager and you think you probably for who knows have more sex experience than something in their 40's, well I doubt they'll be 40 Year Old Virgins.

To me it has nothing to do with how someones behavior is. You can be the biggest pervert in the world and either never saw a vagina or did and did anything more than stare at one. While someone who's 12 got pregnant twice, made out with lesbians and dances naked around bonfires.
    How did a simple topic come to THIS?

I'll answer this topic simply. You need experience to be wise, and you need to age to have experience. So unless life has not nurtured you too well, you'll probably be wise.

Closed Thread

Thread Information