AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Onomatopoeia and other noise words.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Vagrere is a splendid one to behold Vagrere is a splendid one to behold Vagrere is a splendid one to behold Vagrere is a splendid one to behold Vagrere is a splendid one to behold Vagrere is a splendid one to behold Vagrere is a splendid one to behold Vagrere's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-09-2011 06:34 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Onomatopoeia and other noise words.

I'm sure any student of Japanese will agree that one of the most irritating things is trying to figure out the wealth of sound words that Japan so favors, whether it's onomatopoetic or otherwise: this is, right now, concerning a specific problem of mine, but I thought I'd leave the subject vague so that this topic could cover future problems--and not just mine. There are just so many different words of that nature--from ぬるぬる to all the different ways they have of saying "meow"--that any foreigner is bound to get lost in them; and, at least to my knowledge, no comprehensive dictionary exists--probably because the rate at which these words are created and mutate is likely immense.

My own current problem is this: ウオリャ. In the context I've found it in, it almost appears to be similar in context to when an English speaker might playfully say "Roar!". Unfortunately, I'm a perfectionist, and vague context extrapolation isn't good enough for me.

So I suppose my question is twofold--first, does anybody know of a good resource for sound words and the like? I'm not looking for something with every single one, but something that's fairly comprehensive--so far my best resource has been Jim Breen's online dictionary. Secondly, what, exactly, does ウオリャ represent?

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2009 08:17 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

There is a pretty good onomatopoeia dictionary on the market. Not sure what it's called exactly, but I'm sure an Amazon search can find it.

Pink is the new Pooky
    Party it up in Wallpapers
    | join the AF Gaia guild!
    "Spilt coffee has a sad remembrance of old"- from a plastic bag seen on the train

musing of a mod : Illuminated Spirits : Theme: uber_pink

Senior Member niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-15-2013 08:38 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't know what ウオリャ represents but I have an onomatopoeia for you.

I don't know how to spell it either form of japanese, anyway here it is.
    "Zuruzuru Zuruzuru"- a dragging sound, the way I've seen it used was to ask how long someone was going to keep dragging around for.

Sorry, if this is considered spam.
    niKopol

loboKie
    ayy dyxlesia!

Closed Thread

Thread Information