AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Lucky Star Licensed

Senior Member GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-03-2007 06:29 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Lucky Star Licensed

lucky star is now licensed by Kadokawa Pictures USA

http://kadokawapicturesusa.com/animation/index.php

think this is horrible

please share your view on this

BTW
    this was a teaser found on a haruhi DVD

Last edited by GGP; 11-01-2007 at 03:44 PM.

Senior Member Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2008 12:29 AM
    Threads

This is actually exciting, I have been looking forward to seeing this and if the English voices are not up to hype then there is always Japanese audio with subtitles. But after seeing the Haruhi skit I think I MUST see it. XD
    Fight cruelty with kindness and hatred with love. If you can do that, you are undefeatable.

I want to take off your blindfolds you have grown so accustomed to to show you the people who love you and the good world you seek have been with you the whole time.

10/31/07 Koshiro discovers that making blogs are fun. ^_^

Senior Member GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

well, i think its bads news.

Ive seen all the episodes, and if there is going to be a season 2 i can not download the episodes.

ALso, i was just going to open my website, which had the episodes on it, and i think found out about this.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-25-2008 11:32 PM
    Threads

To be honest, I the charm of many of the jokes in LS can't be expressed properly in English. Even the many subtitlers had troubles with a lot of them, having to put lots of notes and forum topics on them. This is because the jokes deal with things from modern pop culture and life in Japan; something most foreigners know nothing about.

For example, the どんだけ (dondake) joke will be completely lost, and they may not even put it in the English version. That, or they'll just change it into something completely irrelevant. Shiraishi's joke "wa-wa-wa" would completely be lost too. I mean, you'd have to have watched Haruhi to even know what the heck that is. Second, how do you translate it? "Fo-fo-fo-forgotten item, my forgotten item~"? That's just stupid. Even Akira's existence might be misunderstood. In America, many people only know the word "idol" as American Idol or something like that. Of course they have no idea what an idol does in Japan.

And let's not forget that what made LS great, at least to me, was the fact that they were facing everyday situations that a high school girl in Tokyo might face, and what really made it funny is the acting. And we know anime dubbers have a track record of being poor actors. There have only been a handful of anime with actually good acting, like Cowboy Bebop.

I'm really annoyed by this. I was annoyed by it when I first heard of it being licensed, but I'm even more annoyed now when I look back at what made the show great. At the very least, if they license it, release an official subtitled version only. No dubs. Even if they do get good actors, I have a feeling that at least half the jokes, if not all, would have lost their charm.
    Last edited by Unknownymous; 11-03-2007 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Annoyed, remembered more things to point out.

下げ下げ下げ下げ

In case any of you want to correct, question, comment on, or suggest anything to me regarding my translations or use of Japanese, please do. My sources of learning have all been listening to people and kinda forcing my brain to interpret, rather than actually translate like a dictionary.
    I understand I'll make many mistakes (I'd be surprised if I translate something mistake-free) but you have to understand that I'm doing my best.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

yeah, i agree

most of the jokes would be lost, and the dubs would be horrible

if they had a subbed version, maybe it would be OK... but it would definitely have to lose some jokes.

But, if this show ends up lke haruhi and becomes popular in the US as well, we may be seeing a second season, which could be a good thing, but finding fansubs for season 2 would be hard

Senior Member 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2010 11:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

HA. I've got all the fansubs so it matters to me not. XD I will probably buy the dvds when they come out though.

There have only been a handful of anime with actually good acting, like Cowboy Bebop.
    o_o Me thinks you haven't heard A.D. Vision's voice actors very much, have ye?
    Last edited by 小美ドクロchan; 11-06-2007 at 11:30 AM.

Promised Protector Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Ceiling Cat Gurren Kamina Glasses Cow
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-24-2014 05:38 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Unknownymous View Post
    To be honest, I the charm of many of the jokes in LS can't be expressed properly in English. Even the many subtitlers had troubles with a lot of them, having to put lots of notes and forum topics on them. This is because the jokes deal with things from modern pop culture and life in Japan; something most foreigners know nothing about.

For example, the どんだけ (dondake) joke will be completely lost, and they may not even put it in the English version. That, or they'll just change it into something completely irrelevant. Shiraishi's joke "wa-wa-wa" would completely be lost too. I mean, you'd have to have watched Haruhi to even know what the heck that is. Second, how do you translate it? "Fo-fo-fo-forgotten item, my forgotten item~"? That's just stupid. Even Akira's existence might be misunderstood. In America, many people only know the word "idol" as American Idol or something like that. Of course they have no idea what an idol does in Japan.

And let's not forget that what made LS great, at least to me, was the fact that they were facing everyday situations that a high school girl in Tokyo might face, and what really made it funny is the acting. And we know anime dubbers have a track record of being poor actors. There have only been a handful of anime with actually good acting, like Cowboy Bebop.

I'm really annoyed by this. I was annoyed by it when I first heard of it being licensed, but I'm even more annoyed now when I look back at what made the show great. At the very least, if they license it, release an official subtitled version only. No dubs. Even if they do get good actors, I have a feeling that at least half the jokes, if not all, would have lost their charm.
    I agree with everything you said. And that's almost with every anime that Americans try to dub with. For example, Azumanga Daioh. Inbetween scenes there's a Hiragana letter that says, "Ah." For some odd reason, the Americans thought it meant, "Oh." What they don't know is even if they seem the same, they are completely different. Lucky Star is a completely different level. I don't want to even know how they'll dub it. It's better not to know...

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-25-2008 11:32 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by 小美ドクロchan
    o_o Me thinks you haven't heard A.D. Vision's voice actors very much, have ye?
    What is that? If it's a dubbing company I don't know anything about it. I watch anime raw, or download them with subs. I don't usually get to watch something in English, because it's a lot more trouble to even find them. Yeah even finding places that sell them legally isn't an easy task here. It's certainly easier to just watch the raw episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBalance
    Inbetween scenes there's a Hiragana letter that says, "Ah." For some odd reason, the Americans thought it meant, "Oh." What they don't know is even if they seem the same, they are completely different.
    Yeah. It's just like how they translated あぁ!女神様 ("Aa! Megami-sama") as "Oh! My Goddess". I think because you don't usually say "Ah!" in English. It's more a yell of fear or something, rather than neutral surprise.

I wouldn't buy the DVD for LS when it comes out, but I'll see if any of my friends were curious enough to see how it went to buy it. And I'll take a look at some of it, and we'll probably scoff at the thing the entire time.

下げ下げ下げ下げ

In case any of you want to correct, question, comment on, or suggest anything to me regarding my translations or use of Japanese, please do. My sources of learning have all been listening to people and kinda forcing my brain to interpret, rather than actually translate like a dictionary.
    I understand I'll make many mistakes (I'd be surprised if I translate something mistake-free) but you have to understand that I'm doing my best.

Senior Member 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2010 11:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Unknownymous View Post
    What is that? If it's a dubbing company I don't know anything about it. I watch anime raw, or download them with subs. I don't usually get to watch something in English, because it's a lot more trouble to even find them. Yeah even finding places that sell them legally isn't an easy task here. It's certainly easier to just watch the raw episodes.
    Yes it is. They have very good voice actors who really get into their roles and almost always fit the character. Sometimes they change the script-for the better to make it more entertaining.

But if you can't obtain them in your area, that isn't your fault, I guess.

Yeah. It's just like how they translated あぁ!女神様 ("Aa! Megami-sama") as "Oh! My Goddess". I think because you don't usually say "Ah!" in English. It's more a yell of fear or something, rather than neutral surprise.
    Actually the creator WANTED it to be translated to "Oh" because he says it's a pun on the English phrase "Oh my God!" Makes sense to me.

Closed Thread

Thread Information