AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Stop & Search

SPARKLE SPARKLE!!! Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Gifts Tsubasa Mokona Eva Penpen
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-20-2013 07:16 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Stop & Search

I read this article this morning on BBC News.
    I wanted to solicit other opinions and thoughts on this manner of crime prevention.
    My feelings are that while this may seem like a brilliant idea it's just another ineffective policy that will disenfranchise more people with their gov't.
    As Ben Franklin once said, "
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either."
    Anime-Tron

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Mom: Iris Brother: Cypher Sister: LPS Boyfriend: Rodimus
    Siggy by DPBM

I leik delicious caek... Fighter Kirby is a splendid one to behold Fighter Kirby is a splendid one to behold Fighter Kirby is a splendid one to behold Fighter Kirby is a splendid one to behold Fighter Kirby is a splendid one to behold Fighter Kirby is a splendid one to behold Fighter Kirby is a splendid one to behold Fighter Kirby's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2008 09:26 AM
    Threads

I'd have to agree with you, Myrra. I think that it too is a good idea,in theory. But, I do feel that it will come at the same conclusion of disenfranchising the people with their government.

And even with the policy itself, do you think it will stop at just the young? I don't think so. Will race come into this? Certainly.

Honestly, I don't know the alternative to this...if there is even one, but I don't really think that I would personally support this.

Just my opinion.

Senior Member shooting-star has a reputation beyond repute shooting-star has a reputation beyond repute shooting-star has a reputation beyond repute shooting-star has a reputation beyond repute shooting-star has a reputation beyond repute shooting-star has a reputation beyond repute shooting-star has a reputation beyond repute shooting-star has a reputation beyond repute shooting-star has a reputation beyond repute shooting-star has a reputation beyond repute shooting-star has a reputation beyond repute shooting-star's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-04-2008 11:25 AM
    Threads

guns should be taken from kids, they don'y know how to use them properly and will hurt them selfs and others.
    gun are bad fullstop.

there just a waste of time.

LEARN SELF DIFECNCE! for God sake! or take up a hobby!
    Not You're Average Girl

Theomorphic Abomination Azel has a reputation beyond repute Azel has a reputation beyond repute Azel has a reputation beyond repute Azel has a reputation beyond repute Azel has a reputation beyond repute Azel has a reputation beyond repute Azel has a reputation beyond repute Azel has a reputation beyond repute Azel has a reputation beyond repute Azel has a reputation beyond repute Azel has a reputation beyond repute Azel's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-20-2008 11:32 PM
    Threads

So, this guy is basically going around with some figures and specifically targeting black people for searches? We have plenty security measures when it comes to youths with weapons (some of which I agree are a waste of money), so I agree that it will be more problematic than helpful. I also would like to know what the officer means about "reasonable suspicion"; "Well lets see...he's black and it looks like he has something in his pocket. Seems fine to me." Going around and randomly searching someone is pretty much an infridgement on someone's rights.

There have been so many crimes committed by youths that have been gone without any notice of security when there was obvious signs. Officer's can't spot out that a guy is going to shoot up a place if he's wearing a T-shirt that says "Having fun: School Shootings 2007" so they just search random people. The only thing I can say in favor of this is that if one of my friends got shot, I would have wished someone would have found their weapons ahead of time and taken proper security measures, but their are other ways to go about it.
    Last edited by Azel; 10-21-2007 at 09:26 AM.

Senior Member overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2010 03:34 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Juushichi View Post
    Honestly, I don't know the alternative to this...if there is even one
    I think this is the major point here; what else can we do?
    The problem creeping more and more into todays society (UK) is one of fear, I know people who admit to carrying knifes because they want the option of being able to defend themselves in case of attack. This to me says that we have lost our trust in our police force to defend the public. Ask yourself when the last time you saw police out on partrol (proper police not community support) and I bet it was around friday afternoon, just before shops and buisneses end for the day, in preperation for the pub time.
    Personally I think we need a more visable police presense, that would at least cut down on some of the more opportunistic crime. However government is currently reducing our police force - merging centres. Also I would do away with the rewards and targets system that government has imposed on police forces; I have heard few if any complements to the system, and many critisisms from high ranking people in the police.

sig by shougo amakousa
    Quote Eris:

There are no rules. They are just words on a piece of paper.

SPQR Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2009 08:57 PM
    Threads

The world goes about this all wrong .. More talks of searching without just cause, more talks of detaining without proper evidence or trial, of wire tapping to discover plots, just seems like a more and more Orwellian world each and every day.

Nevermind digging into the reasons behind all of this, nevermind trying to find out why it happens and preventing it, and nevermind increasing education to every last person in a country - or god forbid - making it more accessible (usually in a monetary way).

No, nevermind any of that. Let's keep infringing upon the rights and privacies of the people, one right and privacy at a time, until we're all nice and safe and sound, without any worries - or privacy and rights at all, under Big Brothers blanket.

So now they search young people just because. But what next? Stopping someone because of improper Thoughts? Suspicion to commit crime perhaps? There seems to be no limit and not enough people speaking out as the line gets more and more blurred each day.
    Last edited by Sagat; 10-21-2007 at 09:09 AM.

SPARKLE SPARKLE!!! Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Gifts Tsubasa Mokona Eva Penpen
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-20-2013 07:16 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Smile

That is so true, Sagat.
    What helps in the long run is not making people feel more like criminals than citizens, but having actual police officers on the streets and in the areas of the higher crime rates as that is known to deter criminal activity.
    It's all well and good to have the so-called Community Support Officers, but what use are they really? I doubt very much criminals are afraid of them as they have no real authority.
    Going through the comments people made about that article on BBC News shows that the majority of people prefer to allow fear to run their lives and therefore take away their rights.
    I hope they enjoy living in a police state.
    Anime-Tron

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Mom: Iris Brother: Cypher Sister: LPS Boyfriend: Rodimus
    Siggy by DPBM

Yoko Littner Fan Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Where
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-26-2014 08:43 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

First of all, I gotta say that Benjamin really screwed up when he made that quote. Fredom is an element of sercurity. Freedom is a very relative thing: if a youth pulls a gun on a person, the victim loses the freedom to disobey the youth without being shot at.

Stop and search, in my opinion, isn't a horrible idea. I can bet that the education against drugs and weapons IS THERE in these gang-dominated neighborhoods, the problem is the lack of concern by those being educated.

Edit: I totally goofed, I read monetary as mandetory. As far as monetarily enforced education goes, it might be just as good. They are actually trying that out in the US but I'm not sure how well it will word. Some youths might just say "Screw it, I'll make more money selling drugs". You never know.
    Last edited by Wio; 10-22-2007 at 02:25 PM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information