Most common languages: Mandarin (907 Mil); English (456); Hindi (383); Spanish (362)
* Most common name in the world is Mohammed.
* Coca-cola was originally green.
* Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than US Treas.
* It takes 1.3 seconds for light to travel from the Moon.
* The Nile and the Amazon two longest rivers but no one knows which is longer.
* Smartest dogs: 1) boarder collie; 2)poodle; 3)golden retriever; dumbest--afgan
* Hawaiian alphabet has 12 letters.
* Men can read smaller print than women; women can hear better.
* World's smallest country: Vatican City .17 sq. mi.
* Same as above in 1991: 73:1
* Chances that am American lives within 50 miles of where he or she grew up: 1 in 2
* Amount American Airlines saved in 1987 by eliminating one olive from each salad served first class: $40,000
* The average person is about a quarter of an inch taller at night.
* Most American car horns honk in the key of F.
* Thomas Edison was afraid of the dark.
* City with the most Rolls Royce's per capita: Hong Kong
* State with the highest percentage of people who walk to work: Alaska
* Most common street name in US: Park
* Number one convention city in the world: Paris
* Average number of words added to the English language each year: 450
* Percentage of board members of Fortune 1000 companies that are white males: 92
* Chances of a white Christmas in New York: 1 in 4
* Portion of US annual rainfall that falls in April: 1/12
* Percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28
* Percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38
* Estimated percentage of American adults who go on a diet each year: 44
* Average number of days a West German goes without washing his underwear: 7
* Percentage of Americans who say that God has spoken to them: 36
* Percentage of Americans who regularly attend religious services: 43
* City with the highest per capita viewership of television evangelists: Washington DC
* Driest place on earth--Anartica
* Percentage of American men who say they would marry the same woman if they had it to do all over again: 80
* Percentage of American women who say they would marry the same man: 50
* Percentage of men who say they are happier after their divorce or separation: 58
* Percentage of women who say they are happier: 85
* Percentage of men in the US between ages of forty and sixty-four that snore heavily: 60
* Youngest American President. Theodore Roosevelt was 42 (Kennedy was 43).
* The Statue of Liberty is not in New York state, but in New Jersey.
* Cost of raising a medium-size dog to the age of eleven: $6,400
* Average number of calories an American consumes during Thanksgiving dinner: 1,960.
* Average number of people airborne over the US any given hour: 61,000.
* Percentage of Americans who have visited Disneyland or Disney World: 70
* Average life span of a major league baseball: 7 pitches.
* Average number of laughs a person has in a day: 17
* Percentage of Americans that eat at McDonalds each day: 7
* Percentage of bird species that are monogamous: 90
* Percentage of mammal species that are: 3
* Number of US states that claim test scores in their elementary schools are above national average: 50
* Percentage of recruited student athletes at Division 1 NCAA universities who graduate: 47
* Percentage of all students at Division 1 NCAA universities who graduate: 47
* Portion of Harvard students who graduate with honors: 4/5
* Number of the last 10 presidential elections won by the taller candidate: 8
* Chances that a burglary in the US will be solved: 1 in 7.
* Countries with highest per capita prison population: US and South Africa.
* Chances that a married American working woman earns more than her husband: 1 in 5
* Portion of land in the US owned by the government: 1/3
* Pencils are hexagonal because they're cheaper. You can make 9 hexagon pencils with the same wood it takes to make 8 round.
* Herbert Hoover only president to turn over entire salary to charity.
* World's tallest pyramid in San Francisco.
* Only actress to win 4 Oscars for best actress: Katherine Hepburn
* Only black to win Oscar for best actor: Sidney Poitier.
* Only father and daughter to win acting Oscars: Henry & Jane Fonda
* Only President to remain a bachelor: James Buchanon
* Only first lady to carry a loaded revolver: Eleanor Roosevelt
* Only President to win a Pulitzer: John F. Kennedy for Profiles in Courage
* Only President awarded a patent: Abe Lincoln, for a system of buoying vessels over shoals
* Only European country where every man is member of armed forces: Switzerland
* Only mammal with 4 knees? Elephant
* There are many animals which can put their foot in their mouth, but none faster or more often than Phil Simborg.
* Only continent with no desert: Europe
* Only man to win Nobel Prize in two categories: Linus Pauling, Science & Peace
* Only food that does not spoil: honey
* Only woman to establish a religion: Mary Baker Eddy, founded Christ. Sc. in 1886
* Only tree that can survive in salt water: mangrove
* actual length of a year=365.24 days
* Only person to win $64,000 Challenge and $64,000 Question: Dr. Joyce Brothers (subject is boxing)
* chow chow only dog with black tongue.
* Istambul only city in two continents: Europe and Asia.
* Australia only continent without active volcanoes.
* Liver only organ that can regenerate.
* Irving Berlin wrote every composition in F-sharp.
* longest tunnel 33.1 mi. under Tsugara Strait, Japan.
* Only bird that can fly backwards: Hummingbird
* Only continent without reptiles or snakes: Antartica
* Only animal besides human that can get sunburn: pig
* Only Great Lake entirely in US: Michigan
* Only country with 100 percent literacy rate: Iceland (They also have to speak 3 languages)
* Yo-yo's originally deadly weapons in the Philippines.
* 58% of American men prefer Betty Rubble over Wilma Flintstone.
* A squirrel forgets where he hid most of his food.
* Cows are louder than gorillas.
* Laughing sickness is fatal.
* Dolphins have three stomachs.
* Alpine Salamanders always have twins.
* In Australia there are earthworms 10' long.
* An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
* The housefly hums in the middle octave, key of F.
* Elephants can swim.
* A geep is a cross between a goat and a sheep.
* Ostriches stick their heads in the sand to look for water.
* Man is the only animal that cries.
* A bee can smell odors 2 mi. away.
* An ant can live underwater for 15 days.
* A giraffe cleans its ears with its tongue.
* Cold blooded animals don't dream.
* An eagle can kill a young deer and fly away with it.
* In the Caribbean there are oysters that can climb trees.
* wahoo fastest fish at 60 MPH.
* frigate fastest bird at 200 MPH.
* Polar bears are left-handed.
* World's tallest woman was 8'2" from China.
* World's shortest man was 27" "Major Mite" who died in NY in 1990.
* Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.
* Eskimos never gamble.
* The world's youngest parents were 8 and 9 and lived in China in 1910.
* The youngest pope was 11 years old.
* Mark Twain didn't graduate from elementary school.
* Ben Franklin was fired from his job as the first Postmaster General of the US
* Proportional to their weight, men are stronger than horses.
* An infant has 300 bones. An adult 206.
* A fourth of all the bones in your body are in your feet.
* There are enough blood vessels in your body to wrap around the Earth 3 times.
* Tobacco auctioneers speak 400 words per minute.
* An infant cries without tears until 3 months old.
* Paul Revere didn't say "The Redcoats are Coming!" because he was captured before he got there.
* Married people live longer than single people.
* People can smell a skunk a mile a way.
* Attractive people get better jobs with higher pay.
* American President James Madison weighed less than 100 lbs.
* Only 7 people have gone over Niagara Falls in a barrel and survived.
* There are 20,000 living organisms in a glass of water.
* There are 600,000 kinds of insects.
* Your nose and ears never stop growing.
* The Pacific Ocean is larger than all the land mass of the Earth.
* You can boil water in a paper bag over an open flame.
* The mayfly lives for one day.
* Jupiter is bigger than all the other planets combined.
* Every day the Earth travels 12 Million Miles.
* World's record snowfall for one day: 1921, 6 ft., Silver Lake, Co.
* The sun is only one of 120 million stars in our galaxy.
* The hardest substance in your body is the enamel in your teeth.
* Highest recorded temperature on Earth: 136 degrees F. in Lybia, 1922.
* Hot water is heavier than cold.
* Some redwoods are 3,000 years old.
* Your brain feels no pain.
* The center of the Earth has a liquid core as hot as the sun's surface.
* The parachute was invented by da Vinci in 1515.
* They have square watermelons in Japan...they stack better.
* Blinking takes 1/4 second.
* Cucumbers, pumpkins, tomatoes and squash are fruit.
* House dust is 70% dead skin cells.
* Scientists say the most relaxing image you can imagine is rain falling at a slant.
* Cream does not weigh as much as milk.
* After 30 you start to shrink.
* Mercury is the only metal that's liquid at room temperature.
* Room temperature is 68 degrees.
* There are three places in North America below sea level...two in the California desert and the third? New Orleans.
* What animal holds the record for having killed the most humans? Mosquitoes
* Sharks can live to be 100 years old. Only 50 to 75 people are attacked world wide by sharks each year.
* There are 13 sexes of slime molds. A slime mold can mate with any of the other 12.
* 90 percent of the world's ice in is Antartica.
* Every diamond, no matter how big, is only one molecule.
* 23 people in a room--50/50 odds that two will have the same birthday. 14 people--50/50 odds that two will have birthday within a day of each other. Only 7 people to get 50/50 odds of being in a week of each other.
* Heaviest dog ever was a St. Bernard--310 lbs.
* Iceland consumes more Coca-cola per capita than any other nation.
* It takes 3,000 cows to supply the NFL with footballs for one season.
* First novel ever written on a typewriter was Tom Sawyer.
* There are more collect calls on Father's Day than any other day of the year.
* States with the highest divorce rates: Arkansas, Wyoming, Tennessee in that order.
* More Americans lose their virginity in June than any other month.
* The 3 most valuable brand names in the world: Marlboro, Coca-cola, Budweiser in thatorder.
* Heinz Catsup leaving the bottle travels at 25 miles per year.
* It is possible to lead a cow upstairs but not downstairs.
* Men get hiccups more often than woman.
* An average American spends 6 months of his life waiting at red lights.
* The No. 1 use of gold in the US is class rings.
* If you're average weight, multiply weight by .02 and that's the weight of your brain.
* Armadillos can be housebroken.
* Red headed men are the most likely to go bald.
* According to NASA, it's nearly impossible to shed tears in zero gravity.
* Why is prostitution legal all over Nevada but not in the cities of Las Vegas and Reno? Because studies proved that men gamble more when they bring their wives.
* There were never any ponies in the Pony Express.
* 90% of all New York cab drivers are recent immigrants to the US
* November 19 is Have a Bad Day Day.
* Reno, Nevada is west of Los Angeles, California.
* More people are killed annually by donkeys than die in air crashes.
* Most common street name in America: Park Ave.
* A bowl of Wheaties contains twice as much sodium as a bowl of potato chips.
* Fingernails grow 4 times faster than toenails.
* Dogs don't eat citrus fruit...they make their own vitamin C.
* The average person looks at 8 houses before buying.
* Wilt Chamberlain's parents were both 5'8" tall.
* Baby giraffes drop 6 feet to the ground when they're born.
* Smartest dog is border collie; dumbest is Afghan hound.
* Every 2.7 seconds, a Tupperware party begins somewhere in the world.
* The average US marriage lasts 9.4 years.
* Tinkerbell was given Marilyn Monroe's measurements by Disney.
* Who has the 4th largest navy in the world? Disneyland.
* Gone With the Wind is the only Civil War epic filed without a single battle scene.
* Who was the No. 1 box office star in both the 70's and 80's? Clint Eastwood
* Mahatma Gandhi is buried in California.
* A cab from New York to LA would cost $8,325 (not including tip).
* Tweetie Pie won an Oscar in 1940.
* In parts of Africa, ostriches are used to herd sheep.
* 96% of Americans ate at McDonald's last year.
* The Bible is the most shoplifted book in the US
* Most hummingbirds weigh less than a penny.
* Shrimp can only swim backwards.
* On a clear day you can see 5 different states from the top of the World Trade Center.
* 75% of divorced women eventually remarry.
* It takes 12 ears of corn to produce a single tablespoon of corn oil.
* Horses can only breathe through their nostrils.
* It's estimated that you will spend 1 year of your life looking for misplaced objects.
* Sound travels 5 times faster in water than in air.
* The state capital of Texas has moved 15 times.
* Toads don't have teeth. Frogs do.
* Singer Wayne Newton is a descendant of Pocahontas.
* Coca-Cola was originally green.
* Napolean Bonapart was afraid of cats.
* How can you tell if a pig is sick...it stops curling its tail.
* The housefly's tastebuds are in its feet.
* In Kentucky its illegal to marry your wife's grandmother.
* Do you know why so many doctors are Jewish? Because their mothers are.
* The average baby spends 27.5 months in diapers.
* Termites eat wood twice as fast when listening to heavy metal music.
* It takes a ton of ore to produce enough gold for one ring.
* Camel's hair brushes are made from squirrel hair.
* 32% of all land in the US is owned by the federal government.
* The alligator on the alligator shirt is actually a crocodile.
* The French poodle originated in Germany.
* In Switzerland, it's against the law to slam your car door.
* No where in the bible does it say or suggest that angels have wings.
* The Atlantic Ocean is saltier than the Pacific.
* 50% of all bank robberies occur on Friday.
* Thunder is caused by air rushing into the vacuum created by lightening...you can't have thunder without lightening.
* Salt is the only edible rock.
* Like gentlemen, mosquitoes prefer blondes.
* Sigmund Freud smoked 20 cigars a day.
* Wild Bill Hickock had a brother. His name was Tame Bill.
* Donald Duck's middle name is Fauntleroy.
* Fake Christmas trees have outsold real ones every year since 1991.
* Mick Jagger runs the equivalent of 5 miles on stage during each Rolling Stones concert.
* NASA invented the Dust-buster.
* Vanilla is used to make chocolate.
* Damascus, Syria, is the oldest continuously occupied city in the world.
* Say "3,000 puppies." In the time it took to say it, about 3,000 puppies were born in the US
* England's Prince Charles won the Alfred E. Newman look-alike contest in 1992.
* Number one dispenser of college scholarships for women in the US: Miss America Pageant.
* What city has more tanning salons than any other in the US? Dallas.
* On average, men are 40% muscle and 15% fat; women are 23% muscle and 25% fat.
* US Census calls a place with 2500 people a town; 2501 a city.
* According to one estimate, Ben Franklin had 24 illegitimate children.
* Scientists invented straight bananas in the 60's but the public rejected them.
* Cat's urine glows under a blacklight.
* The average ear of corn has eight-hundred kernels arranged in sixteen rows.
* On the new hundred dollar bill the time on the clock tower of Independence Hall is 4:10.
* All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill.
* The symbol on the "pound" key (#) is called an octothorpe.
* Duddley DoRight's Horses name was "Horse."
* The word "set" has more definitions than any other word in the English language.
* If you toss a penny 10000 times, it will not be heads 5000 times, but more like 4950. The heads picture weighs more, so it ends up on the bottom.
* An ostrich's eye is bigger than it's brain.
* Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
* Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.
* When two words are combined to form a single word (e.g., motor + hotel= motel, breakfast + lunch = brunch) the new word is called a"portmanteau."
* Grapes explode when you put them in the microwave.
* The Ramses brand condom is named after the great phaoroh Ramses II who
* fathered over 160 children.
* Duelling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.
* A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.
* "Evian" spelled backvards is naive.
* Charles de Gaulle's final words were, "It hurts."
* A donkey will sink in quicksand but a mule won't.
* The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
* Both Hitler and Napoleon were missing one testicle
* The raised reflective dots in the middle of highways are called Botts dots.
* Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only have about ten.
* Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.
* In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.
* Montpelier, Vermont is the only U.S. state capital without a McDonalds.
* There are two credit cards for every person in the United States.
* Isaac Asimov is the only author to have a book in every Dewey-decimal category.
* Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.
* In the last 4000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.
* Babies are born without knee caps. They don't appear until the child reaches 2-6 years of age.
* There has never been a super bowl champion with a league leading rusher.
* In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.
* To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its eyeballs-it will let you go instantly.
* In Casablanca, Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam."
* Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson."
* In Kentucky, 50 percent of the people who get married for the first time are teenagers.
* In Los Angeles, there are fewer people than there are automobiles.
* About a third of all Americans flush the toilet while they're still sitting on it.
* You're more likely to get stung by a bee on a windy day than in any other weather.
* Research indicates that mosquitoes are attracted to people who have recently eaten bananas.
* The average bank teller loses about $250 every year.
* 40 percent of dog and cat owners carry pictures of the pets in their wallets.
* Even if you cut off a cockroach's head, it can live for several weeks.
* Every time Beethoven sat down to write music, he poured ice water over his head.
* It's against the law to catch fish with your bare hands in Kansas.
* There are more plastic flamingos in America than real ones.
* Thomas Edison was afraid of the dark.
* "Kemo Sabe" means "soggy shrub" in Navajo.
A lot of these are crazy! I had no idea the world's tallest pyrimid is in San Francisco LOL!
Post other incredible facts!!!