AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Manga book club

Senior Member Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-19-2008 02:15 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Manga book club

I figured this would be a neat idea to try out. Book clubs are simple a group of people read one title and then discuss it. This is a manga book club, and the idea is members will go around and select series to read and discuss. If you want to join post here, until I know who is a reliable member and who isn't I'll be giving out the titles. But once we get solid members I hope to get a good rotation going.

AF's Hopeless Romantic Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2010 09:14 PM
    in the Heart of the lady destined for me.
    Threads

This seems worth trying out, count me in.

If its possible I would like to know how you will be choosing the series that the club will read.

Will you confine the titles to those that are downloadable via the internet with english(or whatever language suits the reader) translations OR manga that has been serialized by a company (Viz, Tokyopop, Del Rey etc.)?

People that I think are awesome aka ones I admire and the ones that think I'm a nice guy:
    ~ Celessa Avalon ~ Raye Hino Tora_no_Umei Nyanko Tears

Senior Member sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Ariel Fox Snowman
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-15-2019 01:15 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: pppascal

Ooh, sounds fun. An AF book club? Count me in!

Is each member going to have like a genre assigned to them or something? How is this going to be organized? Do elaborate! =D

Junior Member flaming wolf is on a distinguished road flaming wolf's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2007 07:08 AM
    Threads

Heh sounds like a good idea can I join?
    God Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.....
    Courage to change the things I can.....
    And wisdom to know the difference....

Senior Member Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Tenchi Masaki View Post
    This seems worth trying out, count me in.

If its possible I would like to know how you will be choosing the series that the club will read.

Will you confine the titles to those that are downloadable via the internet with english(or whatever language suits the reader) translations OR manga that has been serialized by a company (Viz, Tokyopop, Del Rey etc.)?
    I will try to pick a series where if you want to buy it you can, but you do NOT have to. I'll try to stay away from things that never came out america or europe in any form.

I already have several titles lined up, and they are nothing alike. But here's the thing, I wont pick series that are increadibly popular. The point of this is to discuss and inform NEW things that people may or may have not read. So no naruto, bleach, one piece, (not that any of these are bad but they are well known and read already.)
    Last edited by Rem; 08-07-2007 at 12:28 PM.

Member kinnikumask has a spectacular aura about kinnikumask has a spectacular aura about kinnikumask has a spectacular aura about kinnikumask's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-03-2007 03:14 AM
    Threads

you can count me in.
    KINNIKU otaku

I am not short!! FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-19-2009 07:15 PM
    Crawling out from under a prehistoric rock
    Threads

This sounds awesome. I'd hoped there was something like this!
    New RP: The Seven

TY for the gift Nesp

Random Quote:
    "Honey, I know this act: It's called the Tango: Maureen." Mark, Rent

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Ok I'll put up the first title later today, in the mean time hopefully more people join.

AF's Hopeless Romantic Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki has a reputation beyond repute Tenchi Masaki's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Alright, let's get this ball rolling ^^.

Perhaps I might've read the title already seeing as I make frequent trips to Borders/Barnes. I normally just camp out there for one to three hours reading manga or "...For Dummies" books just for fun.

People that I think are awesome aka ones I admire and the ones that think I'm a nice guy:

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The first out of hopefully many titles is the shonen sports series Eyeshield21. The story is done by Riichiro Inagaki and credit for the art goes to Yusuke Murata, and as far as I can find this is their debut work. Eyeshield21 is a story about a first year in highschool named Sena. Not really talented except that he is increadibly fast due to running from bullies and doing odd jobs for them. He is foced to join the american football team by the evil Hiruma. The art is very high energy and the characters are very charming, and don't be turned off by the fact it's about Football. I hate football, yet I still love this series. The sport isn't the core of the show, it's the characters. So read it and tell us what you think once you do.
    Last edited by Rem; 08-07-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I've read the series (at least the volumes that are out in the United States) and am watching the anime at the moment, BUT I will re-read the first two to three volumes so that I can be refreshed talking about the earlier arcs of the series.

This is one of my favorite titles and it's rare for me to get into a sports manga, BUT Eyeshield 21 really appealed to me. I'm not a big football fan (I've had my fair share of Madden games with my buddies) but this title makes me want to throw around that pigskin and try to be a Devil Bat ^^.

So like I said, I'll wait for the rest of you guys and gals to get a hold of this series and check it out before I start discussing ^^.

Senior Member sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Ariel Fox Snowman
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Mmm, I've heard of this, but I'm not very interested in sports manga. Count me out of this one. XD

I am not short!! FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997 has a reputation beyond repute FullMetalAlchemist997's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-19-2009 07:15 PM
    Crawling out from under a prehistoric rock
    Threads

...amazing that you chose this as the first one I just bought a copy of it at Walden Books (recomendation) sorta kinda alright so far
    New RP: The Seven

TY for the gift Nesp

Random Quote:
    "Honey, I know this act: It's called the Tango: Maureen." Mark, Rent

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by jinglefox View Post
    Mmm, I've heard of this, but I'm not very interested in sports manga. Count me out of this one. XD
    I already said this, but you don't need to like sports to like the manga. Not to mention book clubs don't work like that, if you don't read the title you don't get to pick your own.

Also tenchi, you seem like a good member so if you want to the next title is yours to pick.
    Last edited by Rem; 08-07-2007 at 05:34 PM.

Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Ariel Fox Snowman
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    I already said this, but you don't need to like sports to like the manga. Not to mention book clubs don't work like that, if you don't read the title you don't get to pick your own.

Also tenchi, you seem like a good member so if you want to the next title is yours to pick.

What do you mean, pick our own? Usually book clubs have someone picking out all the books, and people can choose whether to participate or not, depending on personal preference. I'm just not interested in this one, okay? XD ^^;

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Generally book clubs take turns with who picks books, and most will only want to read their own. See how that's a problem?

Senior Member CarmenTohru is infamous around these parts CarmenTohru is infamous around these parts CarmenTohru is infamous around these parts CarmenTohru's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-13-2008 02:19 PM
    Threads

that manga sounds interesting...
    Don't Give Up, Love does Miracles ...

You Can Be Whatever You want to Be ...
    You Can Dream 4 Free ...
    You can Fly if You Wish ...
    If You can Dream ...
    the Wish We upon a Star ...
    is commin True ...

Senior Member 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-29-2007 01:27 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 6870343953149706

This sounds cool and like it could be a lot of fun, I might be willing to check out Eyesheild21; I've heard a lot of good things about the series especially with respect to it not requiring a love of sports manga to enjoy (though I love football so it would probably appeal to me even more).

I can think of one series that I would definitely like to have a few other people check out... because near as I can tell it isn't very well known; but the plot is multi-layered and incredibly deep; though it might be too tough to get people to read given that it is for Mature readers and rightly so. So I guess a quick question are you going to try to limit the age appropriateness of the manga?

Jumonji Baka Kawaii IV
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2009 09:27 AM
    Threads

Hm... okay I'll join now ^^! I was waiting to see how it would go, and it looks pretty cool ^^! I'll check out Eyeshield21 even though I've been opposed to it for a while, since I really hate foot ball >_<.

深く根ざした||傷は消えない
    Hide it, Hide it, Hide me

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

So I guess a quick question are you going to try to limit the age appropriateness of the manga?
    Nope anything and everything goes here, if it's too "adult" they can contact me and ask to sit it out. Anyone who wants to go next can, if no one does I'm giving another book soon.
    Last edited by Rem; 08-11-2007 at 11:54 PM.

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2008 12:30 PM
    Threads

If it's too adult, it won't be allowed.

Animepedia.com -- Part of the Anime Globe network.
    Come share your wealth of anime knowledge with the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jack of Blades~ View Post
    Because evaporation is a ninja ...so you can't see it =o
    You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Why? It's private reading. Aside from that violent series get talked about all the time here. If a younger reader doesn't want to read it they don't have to. It's not like were talking porn here.
    Last edited by Rem; 08-11-2007 at 11:56 PM.

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2008 12:30 PM
    Threads

I see what you mean.

The violent manga is okay, but I just meant that I'd like to avoid too much in-depth discussion about hentai manga if possible, which is what I had assumed you meant by "adult".

Animepedia.com -- Part of the Anime Globe network.
    Come share your wealth of anime knowledge with the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jack of Blades~ View Post
    Because evaporation is a ninja ...so you can't see it =o
    You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

No, no hentai is allowed on this book club by adult I meant more along the lines of more mature series like Berserk or Monster.

The Rocker Witch Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Kawaii Ice Cream Cone Four Leaf Clover Watermelon
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2015 12:52 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Wink

sounds fun count me in.

[set by blueangel06661]

Closed Thread

Thread Information