AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: The impact of Japanese music on America

Mrs. Matsumoto
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-28-2011 09:43 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: lttlpplkilppl

Default The impact of Japanese music on America

Remember Pokemon? What about Sailor Moon? What do they have in common? Their theme songs were changed! Okay so what does that have to do with anything? It's that now I'm seeing more shows that actually keep their original theme songs. For example, Naruto. You don't hear the American dub of the song saying something like " Naruto! The greatest ninja of all time!" (no hate please!) Or another example, Bo-bo-bo. It actually keeps the theme song!

Now that brings me to my next point. I don't have the statistics but based off some of the members of the ex-anime club at my school, (I say "ex" because my school is full of haters.) they listen to J-Rock and J-Pop bands like L'arc~En~Ciel and Nirgilis. And you know what? They actually get other people who know nothing of anime into it. The American public is more demanding towards Japanese shows keeping their originallity.

Thank you Toonami and [Adult Swim] for keeping it real! ^_^ Tell me what you think.
    I got a forum for random people. PM if you wanna check it out.

Senior Member Tiamat has a reputation beyond repute Tiamat has a reputation beyond repute Tiamat has a reputation beyond repute Tiamat has a reputation beyond repute Tiamat has a reputation beyond repute Tiamat has a reputation beyond repute Tiamat has a reputation beyond repute Tiamat has a reputation beyond repute Tiamat has a reputation beyond repute Tiamat has a reputation beyond repute Tiamat has a reputation beyond repute Tiamat's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-14-2007 08:46 PM
    Threads

Pokemon is...
    Watched more by kids 6-11 than anything (to me, anyways).

And becuase of that, I think they keep the English songs on it.
    Sailor Moon too.

Naruto, on the other hand...
    I've seen 7th graders do the hand signs in gym with their friends.
    And they're 12-14. Japanese songs.

Age groups.
    It's just something I kinda noticed...
    Though that's not really true on all shows, but...just my thoughts.

Mrs. Matsumoto
    aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

That may be true. Though bo-bo-bo. That's like little kids show. IDK I just think it is.

Senior Member Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2007 02:33 PM
    Threads

Hey, don't be hating on my Pokemon opening. Sure, it's cheesy and not Japanese, but I love it nonetheless. I'll always love it.

Anyway, I do agree that keeping Japanese music on TV opens up alot of people to more J-pop and J-rock. In fact, I can guarantee it's almost everyone's gateway to Japanese music.

Now, with America being in demand to keep Japanese openings intact and unmolested? I don't think so. I don't think the majority of the public care either way, although anime fans certainly do. Sometimes it is best to change the openings for various reasons - time being the most prominent (shorter openings are needed because American television has generally more commericial time than Japanese televison).
    - Wonderful sig made by Megami91 -

And when the day arrives
    I'll become the sky
    And I'll become the sea
    And the sea will come to kiss me
    For I am going home.
    Nothing can stop me now.

FrownieBrownie [Feiry] smile1010 has a reputation beyond repute smile1010 has a reputation beyond repute smile1010 has a reputation beyond repute smile1010 has a reputation beyond repute smile1010 has a reputation beyond repute smile1010 has a reputation beyond repute smile1010 has a reputation beyond repute smile1010 has a reputation beyond repute smile1010 has a reputation beyond repute smile1010 has a reputation beyond repute smile1010 has a reputation beyond repute smile1010's Avatar
    Gil
    Roflol
    Gifts Melon Pan Witch Hat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2013 07:54 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: supersmile1010

Default Oh me oh my.

Whoa, your right!
    I don't know but i like it better in Japanese.
    In English it sounds..kinda gayish, TO ME OF COURSE.
    Sorry if anybody likes the English versions.
    I actually happen to hate alot of English dubs..
    Like blood +..the english dub is kinda sucky..

Once again, amazing props to the talented Paprika!!

This smile kills....

Mrs. Matsumoto
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Abstract Me View Post
    Hey, don't be hating on my Pokemon opening. Sure, it's cheesy and not Japanese, but I love it nonetheless. I'll always love it.

Anyway, I do agree that keeping Japanese music on TV opens up alot of people to more J-pop and J-rock. In fact, I can guarantee it's almost everyone's gateway to Japanese music.

Now, with America being in demand to keep Japanese openings intact and unmolested? I don't think so. I don't think the majority of the public care either way, although anime fans certainly do. Sometimes it is best to change the openings for various reasons - time being the most prominent (shorter openings are needed because American television has generally more commericial time than Japanese televison).
    not hating!

Senior Member Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-17-2011 12:14 PM
    Threads

Y'know, I don't really see the big deal in changing the theme song. I think you're putting WAY too much thought into it. I'm guessing it's not because of the fact that "Oh, it's because America are haters and they don't like Japanese things! *boo hooo booo hooooooo*" I think the main reason is because last time I checked: I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SPEAK JAPANESE! And I'm also fairly sure most non-immigrant Japanese people don't know how to speak Japanese. I don't know what the statistics say but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there are NOT that many Japanese speaking US citizens out there. (And please don't post here and say "I AM!!!!1" like that makes a difference. When you make up 100% of US population let me know.)

So I really don't think it's an issue of "hating" I think it's an issue of "Most americans don't make it a priority to learn japanese. Unless they're hardcore anime fans.
    All The Ways You Wish Could Be? That's me

Mrs. Matsumoto
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Cool

Sure not many prioritize to learn Japanese just to watch anime. The whole experience of listening to the Japanese theme song makes it easier to understand why some thing are happening in the show. Then again, they are dubbed but sometimes not to the point to where the American public (or any other for that fact) can understand. My point is that original is sometimes better, in the sense of comprehension. And no, some Americans aren't haters. Some are just ignorant. In case some of the people who accidentally wander unto this forum don't know, there is a whole other side of the world. Hate me, but there is. In the end all I can say to you, sir, is: "WTF?" O.o

THE WAR OVER THE INTERNET IS NEVER WON!

Senior Member Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me has a reputation beyond repute Abstract Me's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2007 02:33 PM
    Threads

The whole experience of listening to the Japanese theme song makes it easier to understand why some thing are happening in the show.
    Not if you don't understand Japanese. o.O
    Er, I don't really think you get it? And I don't think Masali meant any real harm. Calm down.

Look, I'm all for keeping Japanese openings, but sometimes you have to accept that to bring in a wider audience, you have to make things more palatable. America isn't really comfortable with anything excessively foreign, and that's just something you have to accept. Of course you will have the ignorant people running rampant bashing on anything different, in all their bigotry glory, but let's be realistic: If they showed anime in all Japanese, no dubs, that wouldn't be a wise thing to do, because most people don't understand Japanese. America is a majority English-speaking country. If you can't understand the language it's spoken in, how are you to get anything out of it? I think this is what Masali was trying to say.

And anyway...it's just the opening theme. I'd rather have the OP changed and the storyline and plot of the anime left untouched than a Japanese opening and horribly butchered content.
    - Wonderful sig made by Megami91 -

And when the day arrives
    I'll become the sky
    And I'll become the sea
    And the sea will come to kiss me
    For I am going home.
    Nothing can stop me now.

Stick Master unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-12-2010 02:51 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Masali View Post
    Y'know, I don't really see the big deal in changing the theme song. I think you're putting WAY too much thought into it. I'm guessing it's not because of the fact that "Oh, it's because America are haters and they don't like Japanese things! *boo hooo booo hooooooo*" I think the main reason is because last time I checked: I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SPEAK JAPANESE! And I'm also fairly sure most non-immigrant Japanese people don't know how to speak Japanese. I don't know what the statistics say but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there are NOT that many Japanese speaking US citizens out there. (And please don't post here and say "I AM!!!!1" like that makes a difference. When you make up 100% of US population let me know.)

So I really don't think it's an issue of "hating" I think it's an issue of "Most americans don't make it a priority to learn japanese. Unless they're hardcore anime fans.
    I agree with you, that's actually the reason most anime gets music dubbed in English, is they think it's more appealing to Americans and Canadians, but in reality, Atleast I can speak for myself and say it doesn't really matter. I record and ff through the beginning themes regardless.

Exposure to Jpop is also heavily influenced by video games, like DDR to name one example. It's not just anime.

Get crazy with the cheezwiz

[I like cookies & beer]

The Rocker Witch Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba has a reputation beyond repute Elphaba's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Kawaii Ice Cream Cone Four Leaf Clover Watermelon
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-11-2014 03:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by smile1010 View Post
    Whoa, your right!
    I don't know but i like it better in Japanese.
    In English it sounds..kinda gayish, TO ME OF COURSE.
    Sorry if anybody likes the English versions.
    I actually happen to hate alot of English dubs..
    Like blood +..the english dub is kinda sucky..

No i like it better in Japanese too,
    i hate it in English and
    i hate all of the English dubs.
    totally agree

[set by Rainbow Crash ]

The Legendary Steve Legend_S has a reputation beyond repute Legend_S has a reputation beyond repute Legend_S has a reputation beyond repute Legend_S has a reputation beyond repute Legend_S has a reputation beyond repute Legend_S has a reputation beyond repute Legend_S has a reputation beyond repute Legend_S has a reputation beyond repute Legend_S has a reputation beyond repute Legend_S has a reputation beyond repute Legend_S has a reputation beyond repute Legend_S's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-22-2007 12:54 PM
    Threads

In all my years of watching anime, english openings or japanese openings never really mattered to me. One of my friends was looking through my anime song list and noticed I had a couple songs from Shaman King, he asked me to play them, he was expecting one of them to be the english opening theme made by 4kids. When he would borrow my anime DVDs, like Cowboy Bebop, Chrono Crusade, he would ask me to make him a CD with the opening and ending themes to the shows because he liked them. It just all depends on what your exposed to first, the english version or the japanese version of the anime.

[ava and sig set by shougo]

Senior Member Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-17-2011 12:14 PM
    Threads

Regardless of what you all say, in my opinion the Cowboy Bebop dub was spot on. Probably better than the Japanese. I know that's hard to digest, what with Japan being the best country in the world.

sarcasm!
    All The Ways You Wish Could Be? That's me

Senior Member Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-19-2008 02:15 PM
    Threads

Cowboy bebop had a fantastic dub, anyone who says other wise is just trying to argue. Changing songs from japanese to english is a bad idea for the simple fact the languages sound NOTHING alike. So words and phrases that sounded good in japanese may or may not sound good in english.

Banned Forum / Chat Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-08-2008 04:56 PM
    Threads

It proves japanese culture is starting to get big here in the states and soon it could even go mainstream because come there now playing anime on fuse and spike now that just proves how big it is.

Closed Thread

Thread Information