AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sony PSP or Nintendo DS?

Senior Member Jdmk has a reputation beyond repute Jdmk has a reputation beyond repute Jdmk has a reputation beyond repute Jdmk has a reputation beyond repute Jdmk has a reputation beyond repute Jdmk has a reputation beyond repute Jdmk has a reputation beyond repute Jdmk has a reputation beyond repute Jdmk has a reputation beyond repute Jdmk has a reputation beyond repute Jdmk has a reputation beyond repute Jdmk's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-16-2007 11:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Ill say PSP all the way...
    Just keep it "GROOVY"

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 American Flag Ribbon AK47
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Light Buster PSN ID: Lightbuster88

Quote Originally Posted by (_YvOnSo_) View Post
    I would say the DS. I got into tapping the screen so much, when I play a PSP, I'm always tapping the screen. Im serious!! 0.o
    That's what the DS was meant for.

Quote Originally Posted by Abeko View Post
    DS, DS, DS, DS, DS, DS... Sony sucks noodles, save for a few good games.. Not to mention, the PSP isn't built very well..
    That's what the PSP 2.0 is meant for.

Quote Originally Posted by Regex View Post
    I know four people who bought a PSP.
    One of them sold his. The others tried to sell theirs, but they couldn't find a sucker who was willing to buy. All three of them ended up giving their PSP's away.

Meanwhile, I know many more people who have a DS (and some who have two), and they all play theirs.
    Looks like the four people you know were suckers for punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Breaeden "Luzy" Swordwind View Post
    I have a PSP... only because Nippon Ichi makes games for it... and Nippon ichi makes some of the most fun games in the world...

thats about the only reason though...

though actually i rarely play videogames while traveling... in fact 90% of my play time on my various portable gaming systems (from Gameboy to PSP) have been at home... I just find it very annoying to see people playing video games while traveling and so i don't do it myself... or when i do it makes me feel uncomfortable...

The main reason is that travel, for me, is a time to be free of video games and other earthly constraints. As a person who has to spend at least 20 minutes driving just to get groceries I have learned that the pleasure of traveling is the time it gives you to think and ponder... but now I am digressing
    Are they good games?

Quote Originally Posted by bttr View Post
    The psp is getting turned into a phone O.o.

I have both PSP and DS

PSP naughty Pics on it > : )

Ds it's cool(screens scratched)
    Are you serious about the phone part?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricecakes™ View Post
    I've had A Nintendo DS, but I sold it for a PSP&&games for it! And, I don't regret it at all. My PSP is so much better, I could tell already. Plus! - It's pink <33
    Pink? It can't be pink unless it's cover is pink.
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2008 12:30 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Hecticmaniac View Post
    Looks like the four people you know were suckers for punishment.
    Yeah, I tried to tell them not to get it.

They were so sure that they were getting something good. But they eventually all conceded that I was right all along.

Animepedia.com -- Part of the Anime Globe network.
    Come share your wealth of anime knowledge with the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jack of Blades~ View Post
    Because evaporation is a ninja ...so you can't see it =o
    You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

Fallen Soldier from Hell Gaarademon has a reputation beyond repute Gaarademon has a reputation beyond repute Gaarademon has a reputation beyond repute Gaarademon has a reputation beyond repute Gaarademon has a reputation beyond repute Gaarademon has a reputation beyond repute Gaarademon has a reputation beyond repute Gaarademon has a reputation beyond repute Gaarademon has a reputation beyond repute Gaarademon has a reputation beyond repute Gaarademon has a reputation beyond repute Gaarademon's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-06-2008 08:40 AM
    Threads

ive played both and i like them both....but i really think the nintendo DS is so much better i liked animalcrossing and ff3 those are some of the good games they have for the DS
    Are you Experienced?

Missing In Action! MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife's Avatar
    Gil
    Sneaky
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-07-2014 03:57 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CloudStrifee PSN ID: MistaCloudStrife

Quote Originally Posted by Hecticmaniac
    Pink? It can't be pink unless it's cover is pink.
    There's a pink one. And aside from the black there's also a white, silver, gold and metallic blue one.

As far as the system, I would say the PSP is way better than the DS. DS 3D graphics suck compared to the PSP. Compare Crisis Core and Dissidia Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy III and IV on the DS. Big difference.

Of course Nintendo has a huge amount of experience with handhelds. So some of the small things like the screen and such are better.(The screen doesn't reflect light as much as the PSP) They also have a big selection of games to choose from. The PSP on the other hand, is Sony's first handheld. Sony wanted to take on the iPOD, the Gameboy, and the like head on. And I would have to say they did a decent job. The PSP may live through this unlike several other handhelds. And it's only getting better. More (and better)games are coming out, the Playstation emulator is ready, and not to mention the price is dropping.

As for the games... I think the PSP and DS games are kind of divided. For example, if you want to play something like sports games(ex Madden), 3D Racing(Gran Turismo), FPS/TPS (Don't know any good ones but the DS couldn't take on shooters very well, i know that for sure), and 3D action(MGS, GTA SWB) you probably would want to get a PSP. Now if you're into Nintendo games like Mario, Kirby, Metroid, Pokemon, the DS is probably more for you. They have some pretty nifty brain games too.

And the rest like puzzle, roleplaying, stratagy, and fighting are more based on opinion. Both have a decent amount puzzle games. You might like Lumines or Puzzle Fighter... or you might like Meteos. Roleplaying... This one is pretty much siding with the DS in my opinion right now(Because of FFIII and Pokemon), which sucks, but when FFI, Crisis Core, and ToD2(OMG can't wait for this) come out I'll probably chance my mind. And stratagy... Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Advance wars, tae your pick. And fighting... I'll just give this one to the DS because of JUSS.

As for battery life, you can easily buy a battery that lasts longer. Or even buy multiple batteries. You just pop off the back of the PSP and replace it. There's even an add on that simulates a PS2 controller for the PSP that gives axtra battery life. Ah and a small bit of info; if you do put in a bigger battery an option for an extra bright screen becomes available for your PSP. So it'll have 4(?) different brightness settings after that.

Yilin's Candy Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-04-2009 08:20 AM
    Threads

who has more then 1 psp?
    just asking cause my mate has 3. one for old nintendo and sega games, one for orginal playstation games and one for keeping up to date.
    you can really hack them alot
    it's interesting to see how many people buy a psp just to hack it aswell

=[[Wolfwood]]=

Seeking Opinions on Lil' Gothic Girl Wallpapers 1, 2

Missing In Action! MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife's Avatar
    Gil
    Sneaky
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

OMG a waste of money. Custom firmware and multiple memory cards can make it so you would only need one PSP. =P

Yilin's Candy Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood has a reputation beyond repute Wolfwood's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

lol i don't question his logic since i only get things hacked or modded once they're old. (like my PS2 now)
    meanwhile my PSP is staying up to-date till there's a PSP 2 or something.

the PSP camera will be interesting aswell. wonder if the DS will have these type of add-on's, like the gameboy printer

=[[Wolfwood]]=

Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 04:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I have both a PSP and DS.

I say DS.

I play my DS all the time, I don't think my PSP has even been turned on since I graduated Highschool a YEAR ago. The only games that are any good on the PSP have the worlds Metal and Gear in the title.
    I also don't care about the PSP's extra features.
    Storing files and photo's? I have a small flashdrive for this. One with more memory than a PSP memory stick (Save the expensive assed ones), and it fits on my key ring.
    Music? I have an iPod nano, which is smaller than the PSP's screen, and holds more music.
    Movies? The PSP UMD player is crap. The screen is too small to enjoy a full length feature with other people. Not to mention you need to HOLD your PSP while watching a movie. Forget the popcorn and mountain dew, your hands are busy elsewhere.

As far as the PSP's graphics go...So what if the graphics on the PSP are superior. It doesn't change the fact that the games themselves suck.

FPS/TPS (Don't know any good ones but the DS couldn't take on shooters very well, i know that for sure)
    http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/ds...result;title;0

Member snjkakashi will become famous soon enough snjkakashi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-31-2007 08:11 PM
    Threads

DS. i mean, come on cooking mama.

*celebrates with Hawk* Kira_yamato69 has a reputation beyond repute Kira_yamato69 has a reputation beyond repute Kira_yamato69 has a reputation beyond repute Kira_yamato69 has a reputation beyond repute Kira_yamato69 has a reputation beyond repute Kira_yamato69 has a reputation beyond repute Kira_yamato69 has a reputation beyond repute Kira_yamato69 has a reputation beyond repute Kira_yamato69 has a reputation beyond repute Kira_yamato69 has a reputation beyond repute Kira_yamato69 has a reputation beyond repute Kira_yamato69's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-23-2008 11:42 AM
    Threads

I say the PSP!!

It may not have the best battery life but it still is a far supirior system.
    You have a lot more things to do and the online play is killer! Right now they dont have all the greatest games out but still some of the titles that are out will have you playing for hours!

If your ages 5-11 DS is good for you because DS is nothing but kiddy games. PSP in every way is better. However the DS still beats the PSP in the 2 screens and able to flip up the screens.

Family:
    Sister: lorie, Keyasaffection
    Aunt: beatrix_bunny220

Star-Crossed Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2010 04:21 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0202-0359-4623-9027

They're both very different devices imo, both with pros and cons. I've seen some, (make that a ton) of craptastic DS games, many of them look like freeware games for petes sake, but I'd say overall the DS is a far sturdier system with games and things working properly. I do feel the psp has released a decent amount of nice games, but no one buys them. You know why? Because the psp appeals to a LOT of people who arent interested in playing games, they just buy it because it looks cool, then use it for awhile for its other features and get bored, I've seen it a million times. For those who actually got a psp that WORKS PROPERLY and manage to scrap up the worthwhile games and I can see it being an enjoyable system.

My bf baught a psp for the first time a month back, he had to return in 3 times for various problems, each system had something wrong with it. He swore to never buy anything sony again (for like the 5th time)

btw, screw you Kira with your idiotic "kiddy game" bs that every senseless Sony Fanboy pulls. Go look at the pokemon thread and tell me its not fun.

Anyway, if sony wants to add all these things like camera, phones, music players etc, then they better work on getting it right for a change, because all they have been doing is releasing one thing that does everything mediocre if not poorly. I think the idea of having a game player with other features is neat, but don't make the game play suffer because of it.

A MaruDashi Creation

Gil
    Sneaky
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hatake Buruku View Post
    They're both very different devices imo, both with pros and cons. I've seen some, (make that a ton) of craptastic DS games, many of them look like freeware games for petes sake, but I'd say overall the DS is a far sturdier system with games and things working properly. I do feel the psp has released a decent amount of nice games, but no one buys them. You know why? Because the psp appeals to a LOT of people who arent interested in playing games, they just buy it because it looks cool, then use it for awhile for its other features and get bored, I've seen it a million times. For those who actually got a psp that WORKS PROPERLY and manage to scrap up the worthwhile games and I can see it being an enjoyable system.

My bf baught a psp for the first time a month back, he had to return in 3 times for various problems, each system had something wrong with it. He swore to never buy anything sony again (for like the 5th time)

btw, screw you Kira with your idiotic "kiddy game" bs that every senseless Sony Fanboy pulls. Go look at the pokemon thread and tell me its not fun.

Anyway, if sony wants to add all these things like camera, phones, music players etc, then they better work on getting it right for a change, because all they have been doing is releasing one thing that does everything mediocre if not poorly. I think the idea of having a game player with other features is neat, but don't make the game play suffer because of it.

Alright, it's "other" features you've mentioned. How exactly is the music player mediocre, or the ability to play movies? I can't really see how it plays them poorly. There aren't things like lag and such. No audio problems I've encountered. The only problem I've noticed is the amount of space, and that's fixed by a better and larger pd card. When compared to say the video ipod, a bigger screen for movies is alot better, wider screen is even a plus. And the audio even has a few options similar to what the original PS had. And how exactly is the gameplay suffering? Because the PSP can act as a camera does that somehow affect how the games are? I doubt that. You can't blame a crappy game on the system. Blame the people who made the game. So just because the PSP can do all this stuff don't say that the gameplay is suffering because of them. Think about the gameboy's first games. It had the MOST simple games you could ever think of. What brought the gameboy up both in Japan and everywhere else was POKEMON. Without Pokemon, the gameboy wouldn't even be doing as good as they are now. It takes one really good game to bring a system up there. And that's basically a proven fact. One good game gets people to buy the system, and then that leads to more good games and more people buying the system.

Junior Member KeoKyzuki is on a distinguished road KeoKyzuki's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-13-2007 12:38 PM
    Threads

DS it's so awsome

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2008 12:30 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by MistaCloudStrife View Post
    Alright, it's "other" features you've mentioned. How exactly is the music player mediocre, or the ability to play movies? I can't really see how it plays them poorly.
    The music player is pretty straightforward. Worthless, but straightforward. The issue I have with the movies is the proprietary format. I do not want to buy a movie that I have to watch in a tiny handheld screen. And it's not like you even pay significantly less for PSP movies. That's what makes the movie "feature" mediocre.

And how exactly is the gameplay suffering? Because the PSP can act as a camera does that somehow affect how the games are? I doubt that.
    Have you ever tried to play a game on a PDA? You ever notice how it doesn't feel right, since the system wasn't designed for gaming? That's the same issue the PSP has. Despite how they try to market it, and what all the fanboys say, the PSP really isn't designed for gaming. It's designed to have lots of unrelated features, to distract you from the poor gaming experience.

You can't blame a crappy game on the system. Blame the people who made the game. So just because the PSP can do all this stuff don't say that the gameplay is suffering because of them.
    It's the only excuse I can come up with. I mean, I'm giving Sony the benefit of the doubt, even though I personally believe differently. If you ask me, the games would still suck, even if Sony didn't add all this worthless fluff. They probably still wouldn't focus on the gameplay experience of the system, and the games still wouldn't have much room for innovation.

I just have to reiterate once again, with bold text for emphasis.
    Game systems are for gamers. Gameplay experience is more important than fluff.
    If you want other things, get a PocketPC. They do all these things far better than a PSP does.

Think about the gameboy's first games. It had the MOST simple games you could ever think of.
    Yet so many people bought one just for Tetris. There's something to be said for Nintendo's ability to keep things simple for the end user.

What brought the gameboy up both in Japan and everywhere else was POKEMON. Without Pokemon, the gameboy wouldn't even be doing as good as they are now. It takes one really good game to bring a system up there. And that's basically a proven fact. One good game gets people to buy the system, and then that leads to more good games and more people buying the system.
    I don't believe you understand economics or the gaming industry as well as you think you do. Pokemon added to the Game Boy's already strong popularity, yes. But your "proven facts" aside, Pokemon didn't "make" the system. Hell, it didn't even "save" the system. It only boosted it.

The idea that it only takes one game to make a system is flawed thinking, commonly shown by Sony and Sony fanboys. That's the same attitude that makes people think the PS3 will do so much better, just because of Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy.
    Last edited by Regex; 06-08-2007 at 01:26 PM.

Animepedia.com -- Part of the Anime Globe network.
    Come share your wealth of anime knowledge with the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jack of Blades~ View Post
    Because evaporation is a ninja ...so you can't see it =o
    You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

Star-Crossed Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2010 04:21 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0202-0359-4623-9027

How exactly is the music player mediocre, or the ability to play movies? I can't really see how it plays them poorly. There aren't things like lag and such. No audio problems I've encountered.
    I have no qualms with how the psp plays music or videos, I'm sure it plays them fine. However, with videos the limited battery life and small screen is what makes me call it mediocre. If those things don't bother you, then thats great, but it matters to me.

Now, if the psp could play music while you were playing a game I could see that being a very worthwhile feature, but it can't. If you want me to rate the psp solely for its mp3 playing abilities then how can I give it more then mediocre? You have things like storage and interface to consider, the psp also makes for a bulky mp3 player. Hopefully the new psp thats coming out will allow you to listen to music as your playing games, imo a lot of the things I mentioned wouldn't matter nearly as much.

But just as a general rule, when something is designed with a specific function in mind, the quality is pretty much always better as apposed to something trying to do a whole bunch of different things. I'm definitely not saying it will always be this way, but as far as getting it right I think Microsoft is the closest.
    You can't blame a crappy game on the system. Blame the people who made the game. So just because the PSP can do all this stuff don't say that the gameplay is suffering because of them.
    Yes, thats true. ( Looking back on my post, I meant games not gameplay) I wasn't blaming the psp's abilities for its games, but the fact that the psp is not exclusevily a game player could have been responsible for its lack of support from developers. When considering the psp capabilites there really is no reason to not have a ton of awesome games, yet the first few years were garbage. I believe that if the psp was built more solid, and the focus was more on the games rather then its other features it could have gotten more developers trying to make good games and would have been great. (some would call me an extreme optimist. )

Ugh I'm starting to defend/argue things I really don't care about, I'm not even having fun anymore because its the same thing over and over. @_@
    Last edited by Buruku; 06-08-2007 at 01:27 PM.
    A MaruDashi Creation

Senior Member chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-01-2008 04:40 PM
    Threads

Nintendo DS for me. I just like playing with 2 screens, Using 2 screens on my laptop too :P.

Gil
    Sneaky
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Regex View Post
    The music player is pretty straightforward. Worthless, but straightforward. The issue I have with the movies is the proprietary format. I do not want to buy a movie that I have to watch in a tiny handheld screen. And it's not like you even pay significantly less for PSP movies. That's what makes the movie "feature" mediocre.
    Using a UMD to play movies isn't your only option. You can upload whatever video formats you might have on your PC to play on your PSP as well. And as for music, if you just want to listen to music then so be it. Worthless would just be like saying an mp3 player is worthless, because that's basically what a PSP could be for somebody.

Have you ever tried to play a game on a PDA? You ever notice how it doesn't feel right, since the system wasn't designed for gaming? That's the same issue the PSP has. Despite how they try to market it, and what all the fanboys say, the PSP really isn't designed for gaming. It's designed to have lots of unrelated features, to distract you from the poor gaming experience.
    And that would be an opinion. I wouldn't say that all these other features distract me from playing games because... well, that's all I do on my PSP. The only time I've watched a movie or played music on my PSP was when I first got it to see how it all works. After that I've only played games on it. Emulator and UMD. And I love playing the first ToD on it. It's getting me pumped for the second ToD. Tales of Destiny 2 never made it here(not the real one anyway)

It's the only excuse I can come up with. I mean, I'm giving Sony the benefit of the doubt, even though I personally believe differently. If you ask me, the games would still suck, even if Sony didn't add all this worthless fluff. They probably still wouldn't focus on the gameplay experience of the system, and the games still wouldn't have much room for innovation.
    Innovation? I guess Nintendo fans are going crazy of "innovation" now since the DS and Wii came out. Everyone can just forget the Gameboy, Gameboy pocket, Gameboy color, Cameboy Advance, Gameboy SP, and Gameboy Micro that didn't leave much room for "innovation" for their games since THEY didn't have dual screen or Wiimotes.

I just have to reiterate once again, with bold text for emphasis.
    Game systems are for gamers. Gameplay experience is more important than fluff.
    If you want other things, get a PocketPC. They do all these things far better than a PSP does.
    Ah yes... so extras like internet access and uploading pictures makes the system no longer a gaming system correct? Oh wait, the Wii has those features as well. I guess that extra "fluff" doesn't make the Wii a gaming system anymore huh?

Yet so many people bought one just for Tetris. There's something to be said for Nintendo's ability to keep things simple for the end user.
    And it sold because it was the only thing available. And the system was basically first of it's kind.

I don't believe you understand economics or the gaming industry as well as you think you do. Pokemon added to the Game Boy's already strong popularity, yes. But your "proven facts" aside, Pokemon didn't "make" the system. Hell, it didn't even "save" the system. It only boosted it.
    I understand that it takes a bit more than that, but it's basically true. Tetris, Mario, Sonic are all examples of this. And of course Crash and FFVII for the PS.

The idea that it only takes one game to make a system is flawed thinking, commonly shown by Sony and Sony fanboys. That's the same attitude that makes people think the PS3 will do so much better, just because of Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy.
    So many people have gotten the Wii solely for the new Zelda game. IMO Launch titles would go under the "one game will do it" catagory. And don't tell me that launch titles won't make or break a system.

I have no qualms with how the psp plays music or videos, I'm sure it plays them fine. However, with videos the limited battery life and small screen is what makes me call it mediocre. If those things don't bother you, then thats great, but it matters to me.

Now, if the psp could play music while you were playing a game I could see that being a very worthwhile feature, but it can't. If you want me to rate the psp solely for its mp3 playing abilities then how can I give it more then mediocre? You have things like storage and interface to consider, the psp also makes for a bulky mp3 player. Hopefully the new psp thats coming out will allow you to listen to music as your playing games, imo a lot of the things I mentioned wouldn't matter nearly as much.

But just as a general rule, when something is designed with a specific function in mind, the quality is pretty much always better as apposed to something trying to do a whole bunch of different things. I'm definitely not saying it will always be this way, but as far as getting it right I think Microsoft is the closest.
    Homebrew will allow for simultaneous music and game play. Certain games will let you do it as well, but I'm not sure which games have that ability available.

Yes, thats true. ( Looking back on my post, I meant games not gameplay) I wasn't blaming the psp's abilities for its games, but the fact that the psp is not exclusevily a game player could have been responsible for its lack of support from developers. When considering the psp capabilites there really is no reason to not have a ton of awesome games, yet the first few years were garbage. I believe that if the psp was built more solid, and the focus was more on the games rather then its other features it could have gotten more developers trying to make good games and would have been great. (some would call me an extreme optimist. )

Ugh I'm starting to defend/argue things I really don't care about, I'm not even having fun anymore because its the same thing over and over. @_@
    I suggest playing Loco Roco, MGS PO, PQ, IQ, Intial D(If you like racing games), and Lumines1/2. Those just being the non-remade ones I've played and didn't regret buying my PSP for.

The rest would be Valkyrie Profile, Tales of Eternia, Breath of Fire III, and such...

And the ones I'm waiting for now would just be Final Fantasy Dissidia, Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core, Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War, Dracula X, Tales of Destiny 2, etc... (Also keep in mind I have my eyes on RPGs more than anything else, don't know about other genres much)

I find it weird how people can look past all these pretty good games and say the PSP has no good games.

And really... Don't take me too seriously when i'm like this. Regex should know from experience that I just like to argue with people.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Are the PSP and DS even rivals?
    When ya think about it, they're both very different styles and appeal to completely different tastes. yeah they're both handhelds, but they're so different you could probably include mobile phone games in this choice aswell.

=[[Wolfwood]]=

Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 04:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

And of course Crash and FFVII for the PS.
    Don't forget FF8, which sold a lot of coppies because FF7 was soooo uber leet haxor popular. And it wasn't just Crash and FF7. Games like Tomb Raider, Spyro, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, and Legacy of Kain boosted sales.
    Buuut most of those games aren't Sony Exclusives anymore.

And question, what PSP games can I buy that aren't ported RPG'S, Final Fantasy, Crappy FP titles that want to be FPS but aren't so they only get to be FP's, or crappy anime tie in's?
    I don't want to have an epic adventure on my handheld. I have a computer for that.
    The only worthwhile games i've played on the PSP had the words Metal and Gear in the title. Surprise surprise.

So many people have gotten the Wii solely for the new Zelda game. IMO Launch titles would go under the "one game will do it" catagory. And don't tell me that launch titles won't make or break a system.
    And how many people purchased an Xbox 360 for Oblivion? For that matter, how many people Purchased a PS3 for the already forgotten Resistance:Fall of Man.
    Of course launch titles make or break a system. As long as you have one you're fine.

Ah yes... so extras like internet access and uploading pictures makes the system no longer a gaming system correct? Oh wait, the Wii has those features as well. I guess that extra "fluff" doesn't make the Wii a gaming system anymore huh?
    You're nitpicking nitpicking.
    Larger consoles can have all of those extra features, it's a home entertainment system. Handhelds are ment to be a distraction.
    BTW, iPods are better music players, and portable DVD players > UMD video. At least I can watch the DVD on my TV when I get home.
    Seriously, do people like...Sit in there room, holding there PSP to their faces while watching FF7 Advent Children on a Tiny Screen, when they could just as easily buy the DVD for a few dollars less and watch it on a TELEVISION!

Senior Member black26 has a reputation beyond repute black26 has a reputation beyond repute black26 has a reputation beyond repute black26 has a reputation beyond repute black26 has a reputation beyond repute black26 has a reputation beyond repute black26 has a reputation beyond repute black26 has a reputation beyond repute black26 has a reputation beyond repute black26 has a reputation beyond repute black26 has a reputation beyond repute black26's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-08-2007 05:39 AM
    Threads

For me psp is the best! than DS
    psp graphic is better than Ds
    everybody lies!!

Gil
    Sneaky
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

And question, what PSP games can I buy that aren't ported RPG'S, Final Fantasy, Crappy FP titles that want to be FPS but aren't so they only get to be FP's, or crappy anime tie in's?
    I don't want to have an epic adventure on my handheld. I have a computer for that.
    The only worthwhile games i've played on the PSP had the words Metal and Gear in the title. Surprise surprise.
    Loco Roco, Lumines, Lumines 2, Practical Quotient, Gitaroo Man, Monster Hunter Freedom, Harvest Moon Innocent Life, and Coded Arms all deserve a try. Some of them I havent even played because I've been a bit too busy for games, but you might want to check them out.

And as for games coming out, there's still PQ2(07), Silent Hill(07), Gekido(TBA), DMC(TBA), God of War CoO(07), Alone in the Dark(TBA), Syphon Filter LS(07), and more...

Of course I'm looking most forward to some of the remakes such as Parappa the Rapper, Final Fantasy, Tales of Destiny 2, Final Fnatasy Tactics, Disgaea, and Dracula X(Which is going to have SOTN playable in it).

And I guess for other, things like Elder Scrolls Oblivion(07) and GT4(TBA) would be fun on a handheld.

You're nitpicking nitpicking.
    Larger consoles can have all of those extra features, it's a home entertainment system. Handhelds are ment to be a distraction.
    BTW, iPods are better music players, and portable DVD players > UMD video. At least I can watch the DVD on my TV when I get home.
    Seriously, do people like...Sit in there room, holding there PSP to their faces while watching FF7 Advent Children on a Tiny Screen, when they could just as easily buy the DVD for a few dollars less and watch it on a TELEVISION!
    Uh about iPODs... they can also play games, upload video AND pictures. Sound a little similar to something you?

And about portable DVD players. MOST of them you have to plug them in, in a car... And those that can play without it being plugged in usually won't even last as long as a PSP could. And of course Portable DVD players don't have easy to find extra plug ins that you can buy at the Video game store for less than 20 bucks to make your PSP last 6 or 7 hours longer. And if you really wanted to watch your PSP movies on your TV there's always that add on that allows for it. And UMD movie prices drop all the time. My gamestop has been selling new ones for 5 bucks each. Used ones for about the same price, but you get the discount with your more card. (Oh and I saw about 10-15 original Pheonix Wright games going for 10, maybe 20$ each)

And I forgot where I was, so feel free to remind we what points I missed.

teed's Puppy International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818's Avatar
    Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2020 05:11 PM
    Threads

PSP. I have both, and i barly play the DS because it just does not have that great of games, and i am more of a graphics kinda guy.

boopaloop! Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated's Avatar
    Gil
    Doubtful
    Gifts Xmas Tree Toast Present
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-06-2010 11:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Uh about iPODs... they can also play games, upload video AND pictures. Sound a little similar to something you?

Except that you can play the music and videos you've bought from iTunes on your computer as well as your iPod, something to the best of my knoweldge, you can't do with UMD movies. Also to the best of my knowledge, there's no way to play something in the iTunes file format outside of iTunes.

i barly play the DS because it just does not have that great of games

I could post a list of great DS games, but I'll save myself time and just tell you to go to a game review site and browse a sorting of the best DS games.

And about portable DVD players. MOST of them you have to plug them in, in a car... And those that can play without it being plugged in usually won't even last as long as a PSP could. And of course Portable DVD players don't have easy to find extra plug ins that you can buy at the Video game store for less than 20 bucks to make your PSP last 6 or 7 hours longer.

Of course it's not like portable DVD players come with adapters for house and car use, as well as having a larger screen and run for much less. A 10.2 inch portable DVD player at Wal-Mart for $150 I have seen with mine own eyes. It's also not like DVDs and DVD players are a staple of the modern home entertainment center and most people who'd buy a PSP have a large DVD collection. Buying all my movies again so I can play them on my PSP, oddly, is not appealing.

It's occured to me that much of this debate is the ancient gamer tradition of bashing what you don't have, because you're an intelligent person who obviously didn't buy the other because of it's glaring inferiorities.

All my Let's Plays can be found here!
    Currently LPing: Rome Total War:
    Latest Update:
    Chapter 3: The Last King of Carthage.
    Start from the beginning:
    Chapter 1: Sicily Unified.

Gil
    Sneaky
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post

Except that you can play the music and videos you've bought from iTunes on your computer as well as your iPod, something to the best of my knoweldge, you can't do with UMD movies. Also to the best of my knowledge, there's no way to play something in the iTunes file format outside of iTunes.

Uh... You talk as if UMD is the only way to go to watch movies on a PSP. You can always get the PSP software and convert any of your DVDs to movie files to upload onto your PSP. Also the PSP movie format doesn't create a video/audio lagg that the itunes video format seems to do. You know, since I own a 60gig iPOD video myself, I should know that. And you CAN convert itunes files into mp3, and some video has been done. Of course who would want to convert a video that has it's video and audio off by a couple milliseconds.

Of course it's not like portable DVD players come with adapters for house and car use, as well as having a larger screen and run for much less. A 10.2 inch portable DVD player at Wal-Mart for $150 I have seen with mine own eyes. It's also not like DVDs and DVD players are a staple of the modern home entertainment center and most people who'd buy a PSP have a large DVD collection. Buying all my movies again so I can play them on my PSP, oddly, is not appealing.

Look above. Convert DVD. Upload. Simple. No brainer. Monkeys could do it.

It's occured to me that much of this debate is the ancient gamer tradition of bashing what you don't have, because you're an intelligent person who obviously didn't buy the other because of it's glaring inferiorities.

[/QUOTE]I own a DS, PSP and iPOD. I could go onto every single handheld and/or portable electronic I've owned ever in my life but I'll just keep it at this. Don't assume. =)

Closed Thread

Thread Information