AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: NovaStar's Third Article: The Anime Hype Machine

I luv Irish+mac n'cheez NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2009 02:25 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: No Wii

Default NovaStar's Third Article: The Anime Hype Machine

Disclaimer: This is not meant to flame ANYONE or ANYTHING, if you are a fan of any show which is portrayed in a negative light here and take offense, I apologize, however these opinions are my own and are not a reflection of ANYONE on Animeforum.com but myself(They could be, but I'm not putting anyone on the spot, that's your choice to say so or not :P)

That being said: Article 3!

The Anime Hype Machine

By: NovaStar

Again, I look to myself and I find myself writing another article of how anime is to me, and I must thank Ritsuka Aoyagi for inspiring me to write this next one. so first of all, before I even get into this one, Thank you Ritsuka, for without you, this article would be nonexsistant. - Moving Along.

Anime in masses have been produced right and left, it seems that every time we have something come out, we will see articles, or trailers of the hottest new thing to hit the anime industry. This is what I like to call The Anime Hype Machine.

And in effect, it does exactly what it says it does, it hypes a series, it hypes it to the moon and honestly, if you collect heavily it will make you think "wow, this actually looks really decent" or " wow, I can't wait to get this series my collection is not complete without it" I don't think any one of us as Anime fans have not fallen victim to the hype of a series.
    However, there are very few "Actual Gems" of a series, I think you will honestly, see for every Ten series you will see ONE good one, that has perked the interest of many many people, gotten a following, no matter how big, and made money off of that following.

I'm sure you could think to yourself of many series which are turnouts of the Anime Hype Machine, and this kinda ties in with my "Dissapointment?" Thread all of the series listed there, have been something that you all as Anime fans have fallen victim to The Anime Hype Machine.

Current Prospects going through the Anime Hype Machine on a huge bases are Inu-Yasha and Naruto not to pick on these two series, but there are some days, if you look hard enough, you won't be able to avoid adds for these shows, There are constant people signing up, even on forums whom have been influced by shows's like this, they make money, They constantly make money, and thus The Hype Machine is working.

Some of the shows which go through the Hype Machine are deserving of the credit they get, they ganer a great fanbase and are able to continue to thrive, even after the show has long been completed, an example of this is Neon Genisis Evangelion.
    not comparing the two, but I'm just saying, in general fad, you will see fans of the casual nature, jump from one series to the next, these are recurring Victim's of the Anime Hype Machine, Even in the past there have been means of which companies have sent out submliminal messaging to say "Buy Our Products"

Anyone Remember The Anime Test Drive Diskettes? if you do not, let me explain them to you, they were, a one episode DVD, which looked like something you would put in the Nintendo Gamecube, Two companies released these

ADV Films with Ani-mini discs and Central Park Media with Anime Test Drive now let me ask you, can you honestly tell if you like a series by watching ONE episode? apparently these companies thought you would, for example one of the Ani-Mini that ADV films released was Noir, how do you know that Noir is a good series based on one epsiode?

I can personally tell you, it takes way more than one episode for anybody to get into Noir's storyline, as I own the box set, and can tell you from experience, that the series is an excruciatingly slow start. Granted, these were a great idea on paper, but does anybody remember Stretch Armstrong? he was a great idea too, and he didn't last too long.
    Certain series and Certain genre's go together like pea's in a pod, I bring up something Ritsuka had mentioned in her post in "Disappointed Love Hina, Love Hina is widely respected as a great show for it's genre(Romance, Comedy, Harem) however, are there certain series that just aren't good at all? The Answer is yes.

Again, I touch on an older article I did and remind people, it takes 20,000.00 US, To Produce ONE episode of Anime in Japan.

That being said, Boy do I feel sorry for the person whom did the Tekken Movie, this was a poorly addapted or attempt at recreating the Tekken series in a movie, so the Anime industry relies on giving promotions away to garner in money, Anime Test Drive, and Ani-Mini were two very very big examples of The Anime Hype Machine.
    Another thought I'm having relates to the release of a series which has just been brought over to North America, this is what I like to call The Add On's Phenomenon what I mean by this, is usually if a series is widely expected to do well, as soon as it is released Extra's will be added into the release, only to bring up the price, You will see these things often known as Limited Edition.

When you See Limited Edition you think, this is something I must have before it's gone, a huge example of this are the T-Shirt Deals, that you will see, two series which are doing this currently are .Hack//Roots and The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi Haruhi while not focusing on the T-Shirt aspect(Which .Hack has taken full advantage of) is offering a plethera of extras for it's customers just so they can sell one DVD. because regardless of how many extra's you will recieve with a DVD, That ONE DVD is the key aspect of what you want to do and that is: Get, and Watch the series.
    Another example of this happened a year and a half ago, Full Metal Alchemist was the hot new ticket in the anime world, and The companies now have released a Limited Edition Tin-Pack box for a few FMA Volumes, these have since gone out of print, but are one more example of The Anime Hype Machine.
    If you can not tell yet, this article, is about Using Emulations of Different Series, to help automatically boost sales of the show, without saying to one's self "Will this be popular" it is a way for the anime industry to let it's customers know "We are worried about the popularity of the series" which is in most cases, is the truth.

Certain exceptions do apply, such as Haruhi, or Inuyasha, something which is well known to most, but sometimes, you'll see things that you wouldn't normally see sell, sell quicker due to an extra.

Another thing which you will commenly see, as part of the Anime Hype Machine are Artboxes, these are a KEY to it, becuase not only are you buying that BOX, but then you look at it, or at least I do, and notice that one DVD falliing over in the box, over and over, and usually I'll end up getting the rest of the series just to hold that first volume up: Artboxes are way of saying "Hey, you haven't completed this yet, and are commitments to the show.
    And while Extra's are nice, for the collector, but I advise you all, if you are on a tight budget, and you are wondering about your favorite series and thinking "Hmm, will this be worthit"

Remember what you're actually watching, That ONE DVD - and it will save you alot of money

This wasn't meant to flame, but simply meant to show you how Anime places, and simply businesses in General get you to buy more product.

I hope you enjoyed the read.

Comments are Welcome

Nova
    If Anyone has a question about the Anime Industry, be it "What to buy?" Or my opinion on a certain topic. Feel Free to IM Me.

Note: Please make it ledgible and readable before you send it(No Chatspeak please)

Note: Any Questions on "Where can I get things for free" or Piracy issues: Will be met with a Fist of an Angry God(Ignored)

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Well, that was a bit more of a read than what I expected.

Every anime media distribution company will hype up their new series as much as possible with ads and articles and so forth because they want people to buy it. It would be a stupid move for a company to have an ad saying "This is a decent show, a definite 7/10". What they do is amp it up, add some intense background music, flashing clips, action clips, and so forth, and make an add out of it. Throw in any FUNimation, Geneon, or ADV DVD you have and go to "Extras", and you'll see what I mean.
    In essense, it's all about marketing the product so the company can be sure to take in income. It's been happening for a long time, and and more and more with anime as it becomes increasingly popular in the United States, Canada, and elsewhere. It's just like buying in any other market: be a smart consumer.
    Some people like the T-shirts and, probably impulsively, will buy the DVD with the t-shirt, despite the fact that it costs $15 more, because "hey! I get a t-shirt!" Personally, if I'm going to get a DVD, I'll get the DVD. And then of course, that shirt becomes free advertising for the company. Take, for example, a shirt that has the "Elfen Lied" logo on it, and an image of whats-her-face next to it. That persons friends see it and say "hey, I should watch it because she does". And then once a group of people is wearing the shirts, others will be saying "hey, that's a popular show, I should watch it".
    I'd say just learn about the product before hand from reviews and such, be reasonably sure you'll like it, and then go ahead and buy it if you feel you will. Just be smart about it.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

I luv Irish+mac n'cheez NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Xero XIII View Post
    Well, that was a bit more of a read than what I expected.

Every anime media distribution company will hype up their new series as much as possible with ads and articles and so forth because they want people to buy it. It would be a stupid move for a company to have an ad saying "This is a decent show, a definite 7/10". What they do is amp it up, add some intense background music, flashing clips, action clips, and so forth, and make an add out of it. Throw in any FUNimation, Geneon, or ADV DVD you have and go to "Extras", and you'll see what I mean.
    In essense, it's all about marketing the product so the company can be sure to take in income. It's been happening for a long time, and and more and more with anime as it becomes increasingly popular in the United States, Canada, and elsewhere. It's just like buying in any other market: be a smart consumer.
    Some people like the T-shirts and, probably impulsively, will buy the DVD with the t-shirt, despite the fact that it costs $15 more, because "hey! I get a t-shirt!" Personally, if I'm going to get a DVD, I'll get the DVD. And then of course, that shirt becomes free advertising for the company. Take, for example, a shirt that has the "Elfen Lied" logo on it, and an image of whats-her-face next to it. That persons friends see it and say "hey, I should watch it because she does". And then once a group of people is wearing the shirts, others will be saying "hey, that's a popular show, I should watch it".
    I'd say just learn about the product before hand from reviews and such, be reasonably sure you'll like it, and then go ahead and buy it if you feel you will. Just be smart about it.
    Xero, I apreciate the input on the article so soon, granted it may not make much sense to anyone but me, and usually nothing ever does, but I completely agree with you here.

Going into buy ANY product without research will completely kill and defeat the purpose, I just hope, that this, for anyone who was on a budget, will realize certain things are not needed, The Anime Hype Machine is a refrence I made, to simply promoting, and you made a very good point, there will be no Anime which states itself as "Moderately Good" or a 7/10 but all I'm saying, is I guess the same thing you did.

Research defeats Hype every time. - I've got some perfect Gem's in my collection that NOBODY knows about, and I personally have went against the Hype Machine and bought something. - I truly hope, this article finds a purpose

Thank you for the feedback.
    If Anyone has a question about the Anime Industry, be it "What to buy?" Or my opinion on a certain topic. Feel Free to IM Me.

Note: Please make it ledgible and readable before you send it(No Chatspeak please)

Note: Any Questions on "Where can I get things for free" or Piracy issues: Will be met with a Fist of an Angry God(Ignored)

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

=3 Is that why they sell that damn box? I always thought it was stupid to have to make space for a whole damn box that you probably aren't going to even fill, but that's exactly what they want you to think. =O They WANT you to feel obligated to fill that space. XD

Anime hype = evilness for poor people.

Those adds on the other DVDs are simply ridiculous. Some, granted, are funny and actually tell you the truth about the series. Most, however, will try to make it look cool without it actually being that way. example Pretear, Kaleido Star, etc Magical Shopping Center something-or-other.

Though, I would like to note that I actually like all the extras, and when I buy a boxset I feel a bit sad that I don't have those extras. For example, the Azumaria classes for Chrno Crusade were so damn cute and ver informative, and I felt a bit cheated when I bought the boxset that did not have the extras like my friend's single DVDs had. =/

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Gil
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Capernicus View Post
    =3 Is that why they sell that damn box? I always thought it was stupid to have to make space for a whole damn box that you probably aren't going to even fill, but that's exactly what they want you to think. =O They WANT you to feel obligated to fill that space. XD

Anime hype = evilness for poor people.

Those adds on the other DVDs are simply ridiculous. Some, granted, are funny and actually tell you the truth about the series. Most, however, will try to make it look cool without it actually being that way. example Pretear, Kaleido Star, etc Magical Shopping Center something-or-other.

Though, I would like to note that I actually like all the extras, and when I buy a boxset I feel a bit sad that I don't have those extras. For example, the Azumaria classes for Chrno Crusade were so damn cute and ver informative, and I felt a bit cheated when I bought the boxset that did not have the extras like my friend's single DVDs had. =/
    Cappernicus: I completely agree with you, sometimes it is unnessicary to get the extra's to a series, but did you have to target three series I own? xD(Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, Kaliedo Star and Pretear?) xD In my article, I state that this is only a way for anime companies to make as much money as possible. seeing as the companies release them in box set, their ideal is "Why bother giving you the extra's, when we're giving you a rerelease for cheaper"

Sometimes however, depending on the show, and how badly you want it (IE myself and Haruhi) you won't mind buying the extra's, so sometimes, depending on how good the show is, it's not a bad thing to fall for the anime hype machine.

Only reason I say that the Anime Hype Machine is bad, is when a person( and I know a few) will go out, and get the upgraded Artboxy deal with every new series that comes out, which is completely un needed, and a waste of money(unless it will never come out in a box set, which is very rare)

I Know a person for example right now who's collecting Fate/Stay Night and I garuntee you, he regrets buying the box for it, because in his current financial situation, he will be unable to finish it, but will be very tempted.

Another Success for the anime hype machine.

Senior Member mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2008 03:18 AM
    Threads

In reguards to the anime hype machine I agree it exists, (only a bling man would disagree.) and admit that i fell prey to it on a number of occasions.
    but because my wallet hurt rather signifivcatly I became a little more selective of what I buy.
    the criteion i use would be too long to put on the post, but it all boils down to the question. "How many time will i watch this?" if its just something i'll watch to see what hapens and then forget about then its going to get passed over for something that i plan on rewatching again and again.
    i wont deny media hype is on my list, but its now one of several things to get ticked off.
    and you wouldn't belive it but extras are on that list as well. again, not very high, but a disk that has commentaries in it has more points than one that doesn't.

in regards to box's with the first DVD, thats pretty much how i collect the disks now. that is if i don't want to wait for the entires series to be released. this is because if i'm going to collect a series, then i'm going to collect it in its complete form.
    and since australian distributers don't sell the box by itself anymore (at least to my knowlege) i can't add the box afterwards. but first I make absoluitly sure I plan on keeping and enjoying the series before i even get the first disk.

i guess my biggest gripe is with the money grabs. the re-releases of the old series. while i don't dispute the fact that when they're remarstered they're better, but they have to have a hell of a lot more than 5.1 sound for me to believe i need to fork out for a second copy of a series.
    a hell of a lot more.
    about the only re-master i have ever bothered to get was Eva platinum. purely becasue i had sold my copy of evangelion a year before and was lamenting the loss.
    plus the added comentaries didn't hurt

and i think that covers my opinion on the matter.....i'll let you know if i think of anything else.

HTC love MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-09-2009 12:42 AM
    Threads

Ah its all clever marketing. If you go out and buy the Limited Edition because you think it's going to be better than the original edition you already own, you are either a die hard fan/collector or a fool.

Over here (Australia), our boxsets are identical to the first release of the series, just a lot cheaper. If I decide that I cannot wait for the boxset to be released, I will always buy the first volume WITH the box so I can have something to hold all of the dvd cases in.

Finally, Madman (Australian distributor) does not act so cunning as to re-release old material claiming that there are new extras. . . I think it's because anime is not a big market over here and those clever advertising executives would rather sink their teeth into the States.

Closed Thread

Thread Information