AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is the meaning of life?

Junior Member Phronteremos is on a distinguished road Phronteremos's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-23-2007 12:41 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default What is the meaning of life?

Seriously, what do you think?

Senior Member Asyuoli is a jewel in the rough Asyuoli is a jewel in the rough Asyuoli is a jewel in the rough Asyuoli's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-05-2007 03:43 PM
    Threads

i think the meaning of life is to find the one person who will love you forever

Senior Member Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Gifts Rainbow Ribbon 104 - Cubone Saxophone
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-15-2016 09:09 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Bassoonist26

I don't think there is a meaning to life.

You should live it how you like, but still, there isn't a meaning.

~Made by me~

HTC love MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-09-2009 12:42 AM
    Threads

Well if I knew the meaning of life I would be making a lot of money right now from 'sharing' it with people. Well I believe that the meaning of life is to find love, procreate to increase the species and die. It is only when we are dead that our meaning / place in life becomes clear (and we wont be there to see it)

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

SPQR Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2009 08:57 PM
    Threads

Leave it to humans to search for meaning where there is none..

We were not born into "life" for special reasons. Existence is simply here. We are born into it. There is nothing more to it than that.

To answer the question, the meaning of life is subjective. What do you want out of it? To me, the meaning of life is to make life itself dance to the crack of my whip.

We humans may have been encoded by nature with the sole purpose of procreating to continue the species, but if that is your view of your lifes meaning, perhaps you ought to be roaming the rain forest with the rest of the monkeys.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Life is futile. It doesn't come with a built-in meaning: The meaning of life is what you make of it. If that's standing on top of the Christ the Redeemer statue in Brazil shouting "WHO'S CRAZY NOW?!!!" vehemently waving carrots in your hands, or amassing as much wealth as possible; is entirely up to you.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Senior Member nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-04-2009 06:53 PM
    Threads

i feel the meaning of life can not be explanned properly to any but my opinion is how far you get in life if every goal to wish to achieve is met and there is nothing really you can do when yo have done everything you wish to do or you could just die then ask the big guy up stairs then you no come back and share with the world
    Its not the size of the dog in the fight its the size of the fight in the dog.

MY STUFF
    HELLSING ORDER 3

Senior Member bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2013 08:48 PM
    Threads

Lets see. I would say the meaning of life is to live. Thats all there is to it in my opinion.
    Sig no longer in development...

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nosfarartu View Post
    i feel the meaning of life can not be explanned properly to any but my opinion is how far you get in life if every goal to wish to achieve is met and there is nothing really you can do when yo have done everything you wish to do or you could just die then ask the big guy up stairs then you no come back and share with the world
    Dude, punctuation: Look it up!

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

on Detonation Boulevard Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Beer Xmas Bear2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-15-2022 03:03 AM
    Threads

Kind of a touchy subject.

I don't think life has a meaning I mean, what is the meaning of an animals life? Nothing. We are here to inhabit the earth and prepare it for the next ones coming. This particular subject I have been heavily thinking about, mostly "Why am I here?". I don't think we will ever find out why we are here, I don't think we should know. Ignorance is bliss.

Senior Member Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Present Bomb Aquarius
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2014 05:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

They say 42, but thats the answer to a lot of other things too, like 6 x 7 and how old george bush was when he graduated (just kidding)

ein, zwei, drei, vier bin endlich weg von Dir
    fünf, sechs, sieben, acht Du hast jetzt keine Macht

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SaucyNinja View Post
    They say 42, but thats the answer to a lot of other things too, like 6 x 7 and how old george bush was when he graduated (just kidding)
    As in all these threads, I have need to remind everyone that 42 is not the meaning of life, it is the answer to the ultimate question, which is a different kettle of fish entirely.

Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Senior Member Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Present Bomb Aquarius
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2014 05:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I said thats what some people believe ._.;
    I think the meaning of life is to just live.

ein, zwei, drei, vier bin endlich weg von Dir
    fünf, sechs, sieben, acht Du hast jetzt keine Macht

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The biological explanation of surviving and reproducing (in essence copying our genetic material) is rationally sound but it is not true meaning. What is the value of these biological mechanisms? What good is the survival of the species or whatever? Why is it good for the biological processes to succeed? We would have to ask "What is the meaning of surviving and reproducing?"

To love--how can that be justified rationally? Is it just a tool of the biological mechanism of reproduction?

The fulfillment of our goals and desires--When our desires are satisfied, we experience only transient happiness and then we find a new want and we are again unsatisfied and we suffer. We have no true, ultimate goal and seem to be perpetually engaged in some kind of ridiculous goal of desires. What good is it, especially in the face of death?

If there is no true meaning of life, then that implies nihilism. Should I go around trying to inflict as much pain and suffering upon people if I decided that that is what I wanted? Would it matter if I did that?

SPQR Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2009 08:57 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Phronteremos View Post
    Should I go around trying to inflict as much pain and suffering upon people if I decided that that is what I wanted? Would it matter if I did that?
    If you had the power and means to do such, who exactly would stop you? What would it matter at that point?

Senior Member Gouki has a reputation beyond repute Gouki has a reputation beyond repute Gouki has a reputation beyond repute Gouki has a reputation beyond repute Gouki has a reputation beyond repute Gouki has a reputation beyond repute Gouki has a reputation beyond repute Gouki has a reputation beyond repute Gouki has a reputation beyond repute Gouki has a reputation beyond repute Gouki has a reputation beyond repute Gouki's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-15-2011 03:52 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 360 is where its at

Well I think it is to live life how you want it to be. as well as not have any regrets for anything you have done. just live peacefully without a care

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Sagat View Post
    If you had the power and means to do such, who exactly would stop you? What would it matter at that point?
    Well, anyone can inflict suffering in many ways. You could throw rocks at small children, torture animals, kill someone etc. If everything is meaningless, wouldn't it be okay for me to do that?

If I has lots of power, then would you say that it is not wrong to ignore notions of morality? So is there only power and no right and wrong, no duty to others?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow curse
    Well I think it is to live life how you want it to be. as well as not have any regrets for anything you have done. just live peacefully without a care
    If I can live however I want, if everything is just subjective and I should not feel bad about things I do, then would it be acceptable for me to kidnap and decapitate people if that was what I wanted?

Senior Member BlueyedFox has a reputation beyond repute BlueyedFox has a reputation beyond repute BlueyedFox has a reputation beyond repute BlueyedFox has a reputation beyond repute BlueyedFox has a reputation beyond repute BlueyedFox has a reputation beyond repute BlueyedFox has a reputation beyond repute BlueyedFox has a reputation beyond repute BlueyedFox has a reputation beyond repute BlueyedFox has a reputation beyond repute BlueyedFox has a reputation beyond repute BlueyedFox's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-29-2008 01:35 AM
    Threads

Hm....maybe the meaning of life is different for everybody. How you live your life is obviously what your life was meant for. So you should make sure that the way you live your life gives a meaning that you would like it to give.

wonderful siggy made by MistressPookyChan

and this beaut was made by MysticFairyDrmz

I am very thankful to them!

Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

If there is no true meaning of life, then that implies nihilism. Should I go around trying to inflict as much pain and suffering upon people if I decided that that is what I wanted? Would it matter if I did that?
    No, it wouldn't matter but inflicting pain on people for no reason isn't nihilism. Nihilism isn't an antithesis of morality; it's an absence of meaning. All the people who use Nihilism as a synonym for Amorality have poisoned the terminology.

Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Senior Member Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna's Avatar
    Gil
    Shh
    Gifts Flowers Fan2 R2 Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-06-2015 06:16 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

1.the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.
    2.the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, esp. metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment.
    3.the animate existence or period of animate existence of an individual: to risk one's life; a short life and a merry one.
    4.a corresponding state, existence, or principle of existence conceived of as belonging to the soul: eternal life.
    5.the general or universal condition of human existence: Too bad, but life is like that.
    6.any specified period of animate existence: a man in middle life.
    7.the period of existence, activity, or effectiveness of something inanimate, as a machine, lease, or play: The life of the car may be ten years.
    8.a living being: Several lives were lost.
    9.living things collectively: the hope of discovering life on other planets; insect life.
    10.a particular aspect of existence: He enjoys an active physical life.
    11.the course of existence or sum of experiences and actions that constitute a person's existence: His business has been his entire life.
    12.a biography: a newly published life of Willa Cather.
    13.animation; liveliness; spirit: a speech full of life.
    14.resilience; elasticity.
    15.the force that makes or keeps something alive; the vivifying or quickening principle: The life of the treaty has been an increase of mutual understanding and respect.
    16.a mode or manner of existence, as in the world of affairs or society: So far her business life has not overlapped her social life.
    17.the period or extent of authority, popularity, approval, etc.: the life of the committee; the life of a bestseller.
    18.a prison sentence covering the remaining portion of the offender's animate existence: The judge gave him life.
    19.anything or anyone considered to be as precious as life: She was his life.
    20.a person or thing that enlivens: the life of the party.
    21.effervescence or sparkle, as of wines.
    22.pungency or strong, sharp flavor, as of substances when fresh or in good condition.
    23.nature or any of the forms of nature as the model or subject of a work of art: drawn from life.
    24.Baseball. another opportunity given to a batter to bat because of a misplay by a fielder.
    25.(in English pool) one of a limited number of shots allowed a player: Each pool player has three lives at the beginning of the game. –adjective
    26.for or lasting a lifetime; lifelong: a life membership in a club; life imprisonment. 27.of or pertaining to animate existence: the life force; life functions.
    28.working from nature or using a living model: a life drawing; a life class. —Idioms
    29.as large as life, actually; indeed: There he stood, as large as life. Also, as big as life.
    30.come to life, a.to recover consciousness. b.to become animated and vigorous: The evening passed, but somehow the party never came to life. c.to appear lifelike: The characters of the novel came to life on the screen.
    31.for dear life, with desperate effort, energy, or speed: We ran for dear life, with the dogs at our heels. Also, for one's life.
    32.for the life of one, as hard as one tries; even with the utmost effort: He can't understand it for the life of him.
    33.get a life, to improve the quality of one's social and professional life: often used in the imperative to express impatience with someone's behavior.
    34.not on your life, Informal. absolutely not; under no circumstances; by no means: Will I stand for such a thing? Not on your life!
    35.take one's life in one's hands, to risk death knowingly: We were warned that we were taking our lives in our hands by going through that swampy area.
    36.to the life, in perfect imitation; exactly: The portrait characterized him to the life.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/life ^-^
    Last edited by Aleyna; 04-11-2007 at 10:55 PM.

From SkullMuffins on deviantart

Instagram|Tumblr

Member BloodWrath is an unknown quantity at this point BloodWrath's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2007 01:53 AM
    Threads

To live and pass on the gift of life.
    "The Philosopher's Stone. Those who possess it, no longer bound by the laws of Equivalent Exchange in alchemy. May gain without sacrifice, create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it." -Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

Sisters: Kitty Demon, Stella, kiss of death

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    No, it wouldn't matter but inflicting pain on people for no reason isn't nihilism. Nihilism isn't an antithesis of morality; it's an absence of meaning. All the people who use Nihilism as a synonym for Amorality have poisoned the terminology.
    But nihilism inevitably allows immorality.

Stick Master unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-12-2010 02:51 PM
    Threads

to live.

Get crazy with the cheezwiz

[I like cookies & beer]

Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

But nihilism inevitably allows immorality.
    So does every other creed or belief in the history of humanity.

Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Closed Thread

Thread Information