AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: A "What if" about dubbing

Senior Member Archangel Apollo is a splendid one to behold Archangel Apollo is a splendid one to behold Archangel Apollo is a splendid one to behold Archangel Apollo is a splendid one to behold Archangel Apollo is a splendid one to behold Archangel Apollo is a splendid one to behold Archangel Apollo is a splendid one to behold Archangel Apollo is a splendid one to behold Archangel Apollo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-15-2007 11:25 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default A "What if" about dubbing

If the English translation was done by the original writers and the English dialogue for the main and some big secondary characters were performed by the original seiyuu then exported to a studio over to North America to have all the extra voices dubbed in, how well do you think that dub would be received?

This question is about a business practice I am considering, so I would greatly appreciate feedback.
    Last edited by Archangel Apollo; 03-05-2007 at 01:26 PM.

Senior Member Haibara is a jewel in the rough Haibara is a jewel in the rough Haibara is a jewel in the rough Haibara's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2007 10:35 AM
    Threads

Thats a good question, I really don't know. Maybe people would like it since its the original voices and storyline only in English. I think it depends on how good they can speak english.

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

Really depends on how well the seiyuu speak English. With dubbing, Ive always felt that actors should stick to their native tounge. Some actors can pull off other languages (English with Spanish and the such) but its hard to sound American when you have a thick accent. Words might sound like other words, the dialogue might get completly drowned out in accent (like Arnold in...I think it was Preditor...where they completly dubbed over his voice), or it'll turn off an American audience completly. Theres a lot of factors to consider...

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

I luv Irish+mac n'cheez NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2009 02:25 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: No Wii

I honestly think that the opinion of dubbing wouldn't change really, people have made up their minds on dubs, if you really think about it however, it's a matter of can it be successful

I think it can, but the problem I see is, you can't really teach old dog's new tricks, as with the case with most people whom watch Anime, they usualyl have preferences, and it's usually very hard to change the mind of people whom have those preferences.

Good Idea? but because of our differences, I doubt it'll catch on any time soon.

Senior Member Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-26-2012 08:04 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by MaruDashi View Post
    Really depends on how well the seiyuu speak English.
    Exactly. And also how well they write English scripts. I wouldnt want to be hearing "Engrish" and "Japanese English" when watching an English anime dub dubbed by the Japanese.
    Last edited by Quik; 03-05-2007 at 04:27 PM.

Senior Member Archangel Apollo is a splendid one to behold Archangel Apollo is a splendid one to behold Archangel Apollo is a splendid one to behold Archangel Apollo is a splendid one to behold Archangel Apollo is a splendid one to behold Archangel Apollo is a splendid one to behold Archangel Apollo is a splendid one to behold Archangel Apollo is a splendid one to behold Archangel Apollo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-15-2007 11:25 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    Exactly. And also how well they write English scripts. I wouldnt want to be hearing "Engrish" and "Japanese English" when watching an English anime dub dubbed by the Japanese.
    Well if I write it first it'll be in English first then translated to Japanese. And of course have an audition with the Japanese dialogue followed by the same scene in English.

On a side note. >_> After three days of being sick and watching hours upon hour of anime in Japanese I started to speak Engrish.

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

I am not sure it would do to well. Some might be good, others bad. The only bad thing I see is that although you might find a good Japanese voice actor/actress, he/she may not know English, or may not know how to speak it well. Then, auditions for voice actors may become more focused on whether or not they can speak English or not than whether or not they fit the role. They could study English, but that would take too long.

Also, their voices are not going to be the same in English. I have noticed that when I speak in Japanese to other people, my voice tends to get higher. I have also noticed that when a Japanese person speaks to me (in English), their voice gets higher also. So, unless they have good control of their voice, their voice is probably going to become higher, defeating the purpose (you definatly do not want any calm/cool characters with an ackwardly higher voice).
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Closed Thread

Thread Information