AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: "Extract" Extraction tutorial - Photoshop

Senior Member wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts PPG Bubbles Aria Neko
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-22-2014 04:34 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: wizzadoo

Default "Extract" Extraction tutorial - Photoshop

This is an alternative way of how to extract images in Photoshop using the "Filter -> Extract" tool.

Works in any Photoshop 7 or more (dunno about less)

I'll be using this image as the example (reduced the image size):

Image artist is Murakami Suigun.

Ok, after opening the scan, duplicate its layer (we don't want to work on the original one, in case something gets ruined and need to be re-extracted) and got to Filter -> Extract.

A similar window will open, select the magnifying tool and magnify as much as possible (check the following screenshot, I zoomed at the left head part).
    Now, select the brush, set the brush size (I usually use either 3 or 5) and go slowly around the border with it. Remember, both parts must be selected, the cut-off part and the remaining part (see the screenshot for example).

When you're done with all the scan (this will take quite a lot of time ) Select the Fill tool, and color all the parts that you want to keep (it's important that all parts all selected!)

When you're done with that, select the Smooth (under extraction, on the right side - I usually use 3, you can change that later when previewing) and hit preview.

Slowly go around the borders, and if you notice a bad extracted part, use the next 2 tools to correct it.
    - Clean up tool (C): Lets you erase the redundant part.
    - Edge Touchup tool (T): lets you fixed the too much extracted part; This tool is quite ”bothering" one, since it doesn't always listen to you xD And sometimes it deletes instead of retouch the image xD. It needs quite a lot practice to be used, for start I suggest holding the ctrl key when using it.

When done with the extraction, just hit OK (and be sure that none of force background stuff is selected )

The finished result can be found here

If I'm not too lazy, I'll also make an in-image tutorial ^_^;;

King of Fighter Scribbles has a reputation beyond repute Scribbles has a reputation beyond repute Scribbles has a reputation beyond repute Scribbles has a reputation beyond repute Scribbles has a reputation beyond repute Scribbles has a reputation beyond repute Scribbles has a reputation beyond repute Scribbles has a reputation beyond repute Scribbles has a reputation beyond repute Scribbles has a reputation beyond repute Scribbles has a reputation beyond repute Scribbles's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-24-2007 12:12 PM
    Threads

i like pen tool better. just takes longer. nice tut.

Banned Forum / Chat teed has a reputation beyond repute teed has a reputation beyond repute teed has a reputation beyond repute teed has a reputation beyond repute teed has a reputation beyond repute teed has a reputation beyond repute teed has a reputation beyond repute teed has a reputation beyond repute teed has a reputation beyond repute teed has a reputation beyond repute teed has a reputation beyond repute teed's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Gifts Bleach Kon Ice Cream Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-27-2010 02:21 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I was using Corel PHOTO-PAINT to do the extraction. I didn't know I could do those same steps in Photoshop! Oo; (still learning xP ).
    Thanks for the tutorial. ^^

AF's Cannibal (Forum Admin-ium) The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Gifts Ice Cream Kawaiislice Bleach Zangetsu
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-22-2014 12:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Now, I admit I'm just learning, but shouldn't you set the, what was it, the Smart Highlighter function too? I haven't used it but once and well, I guess anime pics would work better than a screenshot of a live movie, lol.
    PS this is just a comment from a newbie to extracting so just ignore it if it sounds stupid.
    Last edited by The Rebel; 01-02-2007 at 01:53 AM.

Playstation Network ID: animerebel

Senior Member wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Personally I've seen no difference using that smart highlighter stuff ...

AF's Cannibal (Forum Admin-ium) The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel has a reputation beyond repute The Rebel's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Gifts Ice Cream Kawaiislice Bleach Zangetsu
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-22-2014 12:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Ahh. Good enough for me then. Hopefully once I get better at extracting, I'll start posting some of them here. Oh, thanks for the tutorial.

Playstation Network ID: animerebel

Ninja Jesus Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess's Avatar
    Gil
    Angry
    Gifts Four Leaf Clover
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-16-2014 01:20 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Omigosh! Thanks so much! This is a HUGE help cause I was clueless when I first got Photoshop and went into that extraction Wizard (no pun intended). I was all like "do I color everything with the pen but then I can't extract it unless I use that bucket fill crap." Cause I'm a retard.

Anyway... yeah... thanks. oh I have a question. What is that format that you save it in that doesn't turn it into a rectangle and keeps the shape of the rendor for uploading onto image hosts and what not?

Thank you again.

love
    dani
    dude
    Check out my wordpress blog:
    KamiYugure's Digital Notebooks

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

it's .png format o_o

Ninja Jesus Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess's Avatar
    Gil
    Angry
    Gifts Four Leaf Clover
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-16-2014 01:20 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

really? Seriously? o.o wow.... ummm... I'll try that.... *feels stupider*

Thank you, btw.

love
    dani
    dude
    Check out my wordpress blog:
    KamiYugure's Digital Notebooks

KUH-nuffle Bunny to you Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2013 09:29 PM
    Threads

I totally needed this tutorial. xD Too lazy to search it myself. Thx^^

Siggeh made by me. Taking requests ATM! =3

Junior Member hardrocker is on a distinguished road hardrocker's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-15-2007 08:53 PM
    Threads

Default free photo shop

um ya how do i get photo shop
    Last edited by wizz-o-matic; 01-16-2007 at 10:22 AM.

₣ien∂ wish_maker is infamous around these parts wish_maker is infamous around these parts wish_maker is infamous around these parts wish_maker is infamous around these parts wish_maker is infamous around these parts wish_maker is infamous around these parts wish_maker is infamous around these parts wish_maker is infamous around these parts wish_maker is infamous around these parts wish_maker is infamous around these parts wish_maker is infamous around these parts wish_maker's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2009 09:46 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Wow! This'll make things a lot easier! Thanks for the tut!
    IdiotsXBakas

help me get out of the red
    THIEVING ROTs

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hardrocker View Post
    um ya how do i get photo shop
    Buy it o_o; and don't attach random images to your post!!

TANSTAAFL elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-23-2007 10:41 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Hi,

I used to extract my images before I implemented them in any further work (wallpaper for this example, but of course the same for sigs etc.). But since my last two wallpapers I use a different approach.

During the whole process, it is important that you leave the chara in a separate layer. I actually never work on the real picture layer but create a layer mask for the extraction.
    At first, I only extract the chara very roughly. For that I switch to paint on the layer mask. Using the lasso tool, I roughly select all that is not part of the character and fill the selected part of the layer mask with pure black, thus removing this part of the image from the visible area.

Then I switch away from the layer mask and move on to the wallpaper creation process. I actually leave the extraction as one of the very last steps, when only some final touch ups are needed for the wall.

Then I switch back to the layer mask of the chara layer. I use a normal brush with a pure black color to hide all unwanted parts of the chara. For finer details I use a 5px soft brush, for long smooth lines a 10-30px soft brush.

This approach has two big advantages.
    First, you can always undo your work. You only have to paint with pure white on your layer mask to show previous hidden parts.
    Second, you do the detail work of the extraction on the real background it is later used on. This is really helpful since you can remove exactly the right amount of the chara surroundings to complement the background color.

Of course, this doesn't help you at all if you want to share your extraction with someone else, but it yields really nice results with relative easy work for your own creations.

For the work with the brushes it helps a tremendous amount if you have a graphic tablet (or really good skills with your mouse).

Anyway, just my .

Have fun,
    Elfenstein.

Hallo everyone! ^_^ Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-14-2013 10:22 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: thornwillow Steam ID: thornwillow

Thank you elfenstien for your great tips. I also have a tip to add to this ...

When doing extractions, always create a new layer beneath your extraction layer and fill it with black and then fill it with white. Trust me, it saves you a lot of trouble in the long run and I'll tell you why. ^_^

The reason why you do this is because when you're working on a transparent background with your extraction, ie - In Photoshop, you can't see if you may have missed some edges. So by filling in the new background layer with a black and then a white color, you can see if you missed any edges or what doesn't look right so you can adjust it.

Hopefully this helps as well. And this only works if your graphic program supports and can use layers. Let's see more extractions.
    Last edited by Thornwillow; 02-15-2007 at 02:08 AM.

Make Wallpapers or Sigs? Check Out My Images

Junior Member Ashurii is on a distinguished road Ashurii's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-27-2007 06:39 AM
    Threads

Thank you For the tutorail it helps..... Alot!

Senior Member 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-29-2007 01:27 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 6870343953149706

Wow I had no clue you could do that... although I am a complete newbie at using Photoshop. I always used to try to use the Magic Eraser tool to remove the background and then touched up the edges, but "Extract" and using Elfenstein's method sound like they would give much better results. Thanks!

Taiga ga suki da. KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2010 12:32 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

tnx for the tutorial. that'd help me if i need to do a wallie in a hurry.^^

バン!バン!
    ---

|

---
    [sketches] | [sig thread]

TURN DOWN FOR WHAT!? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-21-2014 01:39 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NWR KazzyMac PSN ID: Kazzy-Mac Steam ID: kazzymac

Quote Originally Posted by Thornwillow View Post
    Thank you elfenstien for your great tips. I also have a tip to add to this ...

When doing extractions, always create a new layer beneath your extraction layer and fill it with black and then fill it with white. Trust me, it saves you a lot of trouble in the long run and I'll tell you why. ^_^

The reason why you do this is because when you're working on a transparent background with your extraction, ie - In Photoshop, you can't see if you may have missed some edges. So by filling in the new background layer with a black and then a white color, you can see if you missed any edges or what doesn't look right so you can adjust it.

Hopefully this helps as well. And this only works if your graphic program supports and can use layers. Let's see more extractions.
    A little shortcut to add onto that is black, then white, and ctrl+z will alternate between black and white so you don't need to have to use the paint bucket to repaint the background if you feel you've missed something.

(ctrl+z alternates between undoing and redoing your last actions if people don't know that. ctrl+alt+z is a shortcut to undo the last move... can't remember what the redo shortcut is.)

Just saves a bit of time, and it works (for me at least.)

and - great tutorial Wiz. I need to try that myself, since I am still a noob at Photoshop. XD.
    Last edited by Ranshiin; 03-14-2007 at 11:19 AM.
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

Currently working on: Oh my Glob! Psygnosis got in touch with us ... Rollcage Redux! New and improved Rollcage 1.
    ^ RollCageX is back! Now called ReCaged.. ^

:Godly on Blur:
    My Youtube Channel || Epic Clan Battles
    BEST. GAME. EVER.

Senior Member Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare's Avatar
    Gil
    Worried
    Gifts Purple Ribbon Gabumon Cylon Centurion
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-21-2014 10:55 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SuperNerdHanji

Can this tutorial be used in GIMP?
    No power in the 'verse can stop me...

Closed Thread

Thread Information