AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: A Simple GIMP Tutorial

Sorry I'm a space cat Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-12-2007 07:58 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default A Simple GIMP Tutorial

The GIMP is a free paint program, that has alot of the same functions as Photoshop, and possibly all. It's just a little harder to do as you have to make more layers to make it seem photoshopy. Anyway this is my tutorial I spent hours making. If you have any questions please ask, or a different kind of GIMP tutorial, I'm up for it ^^. Enjoy...heru..

Brushes and Font's and where to find them
    Brushes are an important part of the GIMP program, like Textures for photoshop. These are what make the Gimp go round.
    The best brushes for GIMP are
    Fencepost and Droz928 Gimp Brush Resouce
    Which is a whole bunch of brushes converted from Photoshop to be usable in the GIMP!
    Secondly fonts, the ones on the gimp arent very good so the best place to go is DaFont which has hundreds of Fonts for your computer.
    Downloading Fonts and Brushes into the GIMP
    On GIMP Talk they have a tutorial to do this, but I found it very ineffective and hard to work with. As you had to open the GIMP to do it and most of the time it did not work. So I have another way to do it.
    1.) Go to my computer
    2.) Click your Local Disk (C, drives may vary, for some people it might say 'these files are hidden' click the link that says 'show files'
    3.) Now a group of folders should have appeared, click Documents and Settings and then click the user name you want to put them into, the Name you click when you go to the Welcome screen on your computer.
    4.) There should be a folder that says something along the lines of '.gimp-2.2' click it. Now a whole bunch of folders should have appeared. Click 'brushes' or 'fonts', whichever your doing.
    5.) Open your brush set folder and drag the brushes into the brush folder. Or in your font case drag the font file into the font folder.
    6.) Now you can delete the useless folder and continue uploading new brushes.
    Note if you had GIMP up during this process you are going to have to shut it done and restart it to have the new brushes and fonts

Making a Signature Step by Step!
    When making a signature you must first pick out the image you are going to use as the background must compliment the image itself
    1.) Find your image. I'm using a Terriermon render:

2.) Decide a size for your signature mine shall be 300x120
    3.) Now take a brush(s) and smear it around the canvas, but leave the color black or #000000, and use grunge or rough brushes, and make sure its really dark.

4.) Now go to Layer-->Color-->Colorise

Now adjust the color to your liking, think about the image your using, and click okay.

5.) Now make a new layer, do not duplicate it! Make sure the layer fill type says white and click okay

6.)Now fill your layer with a softer brush and not so hard.

7.)Repeat step four but keep it light

8.)Create a new layer and put the layer fill type as transparency
    9.)Bring up the Layers, Channels, Paths and Undo Dock and click highlight the New Layer one, should be the lighter layer and change the mode to Overlay. You can use other modes, but I prefer overlay myself.
    [IMG=http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/9206/colorea7.th.jpg][/IMG]
    [i]Note: If you can not find the Layers, Channels, Paths, and Undo Dock go back to the main GIMP, the one that appears after it starts up, click File-->Dialouges-->Create new dock-->Layers, Channels, Paths, and undos
    10.)Now go back to your new layer, highlight it in the Layers, Channels, Paths, and Undo dock by clicking it.
    11.) Bring up your image/render in a new gimp file and copy it, afterwards paste it to your background. Now there is probable your background in the image still on it. What you do is take the magic wand tool or lasso tool at it.
    With the Magic Wand tool you are able to cut out pieces of the background faster but you also have the chance of losing parts of the picture with the same shade. On the lasso you man handle the cut out which can be tricky in small areas. With both of these I suggest using the feather technique. To do this click Select-->Feather. The best solution is to use the lasso and cute the images carefully, and feather it. Afterards go back with the magic wand and get the s mall areas, feather this as well.After each time click 'clear'
    12.)Now you can add the text and your done!! ^^

12.)

AFs Number One Digimon Fan
    Maybe I'm just wierd-
    Kouichi Kimura
    My Devianart
    Someday Somehow.net

This title does nothing. Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Gifts 133 - Eevee 025 - Pikachu Dice
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-08-2010 03:23 PM
    Threads

Good Job! ^_^

There is an easier way to add brushes/fonts/ect. But I can't remember right at this moment.

And I'm going to have to take this weekend to make a tutorial on how to make tutorials because I am tired of these full-screen shots. The capture window feature is there for a reason! >_<

This signature contains nothing.

Nothing last updated:
    March Nothing, '09

No.1 Maverick Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-29-2008 09:15 PM
    Threads

Hey! this tutorial is good. I've been trying to learn how to use gimp for a couple of days now. thanks.
    Made by my lover ♥ Jagan Eye

boopaloop! None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above's Avatar
    Gil
    Stressed
    Gifts Xmas Tree Lamborghini Grapes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-01-2011 03:21 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by GaMeGoD View Post
    Good Job! ^_^

There is an easier way to add brushes/fonts/ect. But I can't remember right at this moment.
    Well... I use this path for uploading brushes: C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\brushes and as indicated before you just have to drag the brushes in this folder.

As for the fonts: C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
    Like this you can use the uploaded fonts also for other programs, like Word for example.

The tut seems really good...Keep it up and maybe...just a maybe...add also a border in the future, if you want so:
    if I remember well, just go to Script-Fu: Decor: Add border and choose the pixels and wanted color.

And now the world is mine Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Xmas Tree
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2013 08:30 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

This is a really helpful tutorial. I think you did a very good job. I really wanted more fonts for GIMP. Thank you very much for posting this.

Sorry I'm a space cat Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro has a reputation beyond repute Tenshi No Kuro's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-12-2007 07:58 AM
    Threads

I've always found it easier just to do fonts and brushes that way because then you can find Fonts and Brushes be scrolling instead of having to find the folders or it not uploading, which has happened to me several times.

Thank you all for the compliments ^^ I'll try to do more gimp ones, if requested, but right now I'm trying to figure out Photoshop CS

AFs Number One Digimon Fan
    Maybe I'm just wierd-
    Kouichi Kimura
    My Devianart
    Someday Somehow.net

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2009 08:17 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Fantastic tutorial! I love seeing GIMP tuts.

Pink is the new Pooky
    Party it up in Wallpapers
    | join the AF Gaia guild!
    "Spilt coffee has a sad remembrance of old"- from a plastic bag seen on the train

musing of a mod : Illuminated Spirits : Theme: uber_pink

Member ZeroHero is a splendid one to behold ZeroHero is a splendid one to behold ZeroHero is a splendid one to behold ZeroHero is a splendid one to behold ZeroHero is a splendid one to behold ZeroHero is a splendid one to behold ZeroHero is a splendid one to behold ZeroHero is a splendid one to behold ZeroHero's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-18-2007 04:34 PM
    Threads

To add them easier go to Start button >> Control panel >> apperence and themes then there should be a folder/icon tht said Fonts just thro em in there :-)

Closed Thread

Thread Information