AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: what do you believe in?

teed's Puppy International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818's Avatar
    Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2020 05:11 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

My religion, Christianity. OH Snap! Take that atheist!

Senior Member Titus_Starwind has much to be proud of Titus_Starwind has much to be proud of Titus_Starwind has much to be proud of Titus_Starwind has much to be proud of Titus_Starwind has much to be proud of Titus_Starwind has much to be proud of Titus_Starwind has much to be proud of Titus_Starwind has much to be proud of Titus_Starwind's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-21-2007 07:32 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Not really. It's like Nietzsche telling people to make up their minds on their own and not to listen to anyone. It's a paradox in terms, sure, but it isn't really self-contradicting.
    well thats quite different from saying "I don't believe in belief."

I take it by referencing Nietzsche, you're a Nihilist, or atleast referring to it?
    "These words are razors to my wounded heart"
    Currently Watching

@ Youtube.com

Junior Member Fleurrouge is on a distinguished road Fleurrouge's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-27-2007 09:14 PM
    Threads

I have few strong beliefs.

But I believe in myself.

Which I think is worth it all.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Titus_Starwind View Post
    Not believing in something is in itself, a belief.

Which means, if he didn't believe in believing THAT belief, then it means he doesn't TRULY NOT believe in beliefs.

Makes sense to me.
    Not believing is a negative belief, not a positive belief in not believing.

Although they are arguably equivalent in text, the message is an absence of belief in believes, not a belief in the absence of belief.
    Last edited by Manhattan_Project_2000; 01-27-2007 at 06:02 PM.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Member DahKross is a splendid one to behold DahKross is a splendid one to behold DahKross is a splendid one to behold DahKross is a splendid one to behold DahKross is a splendid one to behold DahKross is a splendid one to behold DahKross is a splendid one to behold DahKross's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-19-2007 12:29 PM
    Threads

Ako'y (I'm) "Iglesia Ni Cristo" (filipino for Church of christ) it's christian but without the cross. we practically do everything else the same though
    Do you like blueberrys?
    Me? I haven't really
    Tried blueberrys.

Ninja Jesus Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess's Avatar
    Gil
    Angry
    Gifts Aquarius Four Leaf Clover
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-16-2014 01:20 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

hhmm... I believe that beliefs are dangerous so I choose to have few and strive for none.

I don't have many set-in-stone beliefs but rather "A very good idea" <--- quoted from the movie Dogma! (good movie!!)

love
    dani
    dude
    Check out my wordpress blog:
    KamiYugure's Digital Notebooks

Senior Member WhatIsAUserName has much to be proud of WhatIsAUserName has much to be proud of WhatIsAUserName has much to be proud of WhatIsAUserName has much to be proud of WhatIsAUserName has much to be proud of WhatIsAUserName has much to be proud of WhatIsAUserName has much to be proud of WhatIsAUserName has much to be proud of WhatIsAUserName's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-29-2007 02:20 AM
    Threads

I don't believe in any religions, so I'm in atheist. But I do believe people have a right to worship whatever they choose (of course, I'll keep my opinions on religions to myself). On the political compass, I'm middle of the road, if only due to my extreme, extreme viewpoints balancing each other out.

War is not a good thing, but it's essentially nature. I believe that world peace is achievable only by force of arms and through imposing somebody's personal beliefs upon everybody else.
    “I found one day in school a boy of medium size ill-treating a smaller boy. I expostulated, but he replied: 'The bigs hit me, so I hit the babies; that's fair.' In these words he epitomized the history of the human race.” –Bertrand Russell

Thanks to Chimes for the Avatar

Senior Member Melody Melancholy has a spectacular aura about Melody Melancholy has a spectacular aura about Melody Melancholy's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-21-2007 05:11 AM
    Threads

What do I belive in? Well, I guess I could say "true love", but that's sorta not like me. I do belive that there is someone out there for anyone, even though you might think there isn't.

Plus, I belive that there is life after death, though most might not belive in it. See ya around, Big Sista ~*midnight_serenity*~!
    PM me if you want to be friends...
    And this sig was made by ~*Dizzy*~

No.1 Maverick Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi has a reputation beyond repute Korobi's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-29-2008 09:15 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ayame_Sohma View Post
    I belive in getting people a second chance.....i like being fair to everyone..hmmm..
    I totally agree with you. I also believe in life after death, and that you shouldn't judge people before you get to know them.
    Made by my lover ♥ Jagan Eye

Member Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-22-2008 10:36 AM
    Threads

I believe that life is full of suffering.People are selfish and unapreciative of the bonds we hold nature.I believe that good still exists in this world,but it's dying out.Sometimes I believe that I alone have compassion for what is right in my own mind.That people should stop what they are doing and look around our mother earth.She is an old child.She running out of time.We've shown no gratitude to her.Instead we slash her forests and build concrete dwellings for more inconsiderate welps.But I believe there is hope.Hope that one day we will rise from this media controled web we wieved and see the error of our ways.Our earth has loved us and nurtured us;it's time we do the same.If you don't understand that is understanding to me.I believe that one day you will see that I'm right.

Her nickname at age 11. Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2010 05:44 PM
    Threads

I believe in Buddha. I do wish I was in touch with my religion more, even if I am young.

I believe in forgiveness, and that there is always good in anyone. I believe everyone's equal, that there is a small blessing for everyone, no matter what hardships they may go through.

My answer is short, idiotic, and pointless. But those are my beliefs.

[Insert witty title here] [Boolean] has a reputation beyond repute [Boolean] has a reputation beyond repute [Boolean] has a reputation beyond repute [Boolean] has a reputation beyond repute [Boolean] has a reputation beyond repute [Boolean] has a reputation beyond repute [Boolean] has a reputation beyond repute [Boolean] has a reputation beyond repute [Boolean] has a reputation beyond repute [Boolean] has a reputation beyond repute [Boolean] has a reputation beyond repute [Boolean]'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-16-2009 07:32 PM
    Threads

What a broad question...

Well...I'm Catholic Christian...so I try to abide by some of those rules. I also believe in myself, other people, and science.

BELIEVE IT! O.o; how Naruto-like of me...
    Awesome Websites!::Gallery(NEW!)::Give these creatures a home!::Trainer Card

Formerly known as Chimes, if anyone remembers that name...no...? Didn't think so. 8D

bool answer=...;

...don't pay attention to this sig...or that avatar...currently in thought process of how to include changed username in a new image set...

Yaoi Extremist sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2007 09:11 PM
    In a magical place where yaoi reigns supreme
    Threads

I'm Atheist so no religious crap for me sorry.
    I only really believe in one thing and that's truth. What could be more believeable?
    Made by Fast as Fire
    I <3 You!

The Poet Sword Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-28-2019 05:06 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I have a Code, and several other things I live by.

The 21 Articles of the Warrior's Way

Perhaps the world was never meant to make perfect sense.

Keeper Of Dreams ♪ Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-24-2009 03:03 AM
    Threads

I'm jewish (which is very VERY uncommone around where I live)

We pretty much live by the same lwas as mot other people, etc.

A bit stricter in what we are and are not allowed to do though.

Senior Member ~Sakura Haruno~ is a splendid one to behold ~Sakura Haruno~ is a splendid one to behold ~Sakura Haruno~ is a splendid one to behold ~Sakura Haruno~ is a splendid one to behold ~Sakura Haruno~ is a splendid one to behold ~Sakura Haruno~ is a splendid one to behold ~Sakura Haruno~ is a splendid one to behold ~Sakura Haruno~'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2007 11:40 AM
    Threads

i believe in myself and i believe in ghosts xD

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sasunarubishoujo View Post
    I'm Atheist so no religious crap for me sorry.
    I only really believe in one thing and that's truth. What could be more believeable?
    Who's truth? Truth is not absolute.

Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Member Anagoth9 will become famous soon enough Anagoth9's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-06-2007 03:12 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    Who's truth? Truth is not absolute.
    Truth is by definition absolute. The problem is that people don't know how to distinguish between facts and opinions. Just because you believe in something with all of your being does not make it true. I could believe if I jump off a building I won't be hurt. I could believe enough to start a religion against gravity. We could meet every Thursday, eat pizza, evade taxes, fight in wars or against wars, be put in jail, and die for my beliefs. I would still be wrong. People's perception of "truth" becomes distorted and confused with "belief". They use the terms interchangably because "truth" gives their words, deeds, and beliefs stronger meaning.

In summary: (Truth != Belief)&&(Truth = Absolute)

Jose does not forgive! Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-17-2011 08:27 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: PMMEFORTHIS

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anagoth9 View Post
    Truth is by definition absolute. The problem is that people don't know how to distinguish between facts and opinions. Just because you believe in something with all of your being does not make it true. I could believe if I jump off a building I won't be hurt. I could believe enough to start a religion against gravity. We could meet every Thursday, eat pizza, evade taxes, fight in wars or against wars, be put in jail, and die for my beliefs. I would still be wrong. People's perception of "truth" becomes distorted and confused with "belief". They use the terms interchangably because "truth" gives their words, deeds, and beliefs stronger meaning.

Two words will shatter your argument: Consensus reality.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

How do you know truth exists? You've never seen it. You never could see it. All humans are imperfect observers.

If truth existed as you think of it, I could prove this desk I am leaning on exists. But I can't. All I can do is observe it. However, I can't prove anything with one observation. I may be crazy without knowing it. However, if I ask someone to come over and try to see the desk, and they agree it's there, all I have done is made another observation of some one agreeing with me. The fundamental problem is the fact that I can't prove any of my assertions without third parties, and I have no proof third parties exist.

Belief in truth is the first and most fundamental kind of prior assumption. You think you observe it in the same way people think they observe angels and goblins.
    Last edited by Manhattan_Project_2000; 02-06-2007 at 11:16 AM.

Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Member Anagoth9 will become famous soon enough Anagoth9's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-06-2007 03:12 PM
    Threads

Two words will shatter your argument: Consensus reality.
    Just because everyone thinks something is true does not make it so. Everyone used to know that the Earth was flat and the center of the universe. If you thought otherwise you were insane. If enough people believe a lie, it does not become a truth.
    Question: Is it possible for there to be only one sane person on the Earth?
    On a side note, I find it kinda funny that that article was taken from wikipedia.

How do you know truth exists? You've never seen it. You never could see it. All humans are imperfect observers.

If truth existed as you think of it, I could prove this desk I am leaning on exists. But I can't. All I can do is observe it. However, I can't prove anything with one observation. I may be crazy without knowing it. However, if I ask someone to come over and try to see the desk, and they agree it's there, all I have done is made another observation of some one agreeing with me. The fundamental problem is the fact that I can't prove any of my assertions without third parties, and I have no proof third parties exist.

Belief in truth is the first and most fundamental kind of prior assumption. You think you observe it in the same way people think they observe angels and goblins.
    I have never seen China, yet it still exists. And not just because my shirt says so. But that still doesn't disprove your argument, so let me ask: If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? There is really no way to prove it did or didn't. You could cite all sorts of scientific evidence on the properties of sound and reenact the situation any number of times but it would not matter. It is my BELIEF that the universe is orderly and mathematical. I believe that if you observe long enough, patterns begin to emerge and you can assume with some certainty what the outcome of a similar situation may be. Of course I also believe that the formulas are complex enough that there are too many variables to ever fully predict any situation with a 100% guarantee. If I drop a rock 100 times and 100 times it hits the floor, that does not guarantee it wont fall up.

Truth is absolute. If it weren't, you wouldn't be able to prove otherwise. However, I believe, with the exception of the afformentioned, that no truth can be fully known or understood. 100 people (I like that number for metaphors) witness a disaster. If you ask everyone what happened, you will get 100 different accounts. This is because everyone viewed it from their own perspective. The disaster is not subjective, it is absolute. It DID happen. It is truth. Each witness however could only see part of the truth from where they stood and their perception of it is influenced by their past experiences. By listening to everyone's account, you can get an idea of the truth, but it can never be fully grasped.

Summary: Truth is absolute. Truth can never be fully grasped. That does not mean it doesn't exist.

Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I have never seen China, yet it still exists. And not just because my shirt says so. But that still doesn't disprove your argument, so let me ask: If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? There is really no way to prove it did or didn't. You could cite all sorts of scientific evidence on the properties of sound and reenact the situation any number of times but it would not matter. It is my BELIEF that the universe is orderly and mathematical. I believe that if you observe long enough, patterns begin to emerge and you can assume with some certainty what the outcome of a similar situation may be. Of course I also believe that the formulas are complex enough that there are too many variables to ever fully predict any situation with a 100% guarantee. If I drop a rock 100 times and 100 times it hits the floor, that does not guarantee it wont fall up.

Truth is absolute. If it weren't, you wouldn't be able to prove otherwise. However, I believe, with the exception of the afformentioned, that no truth can be fully known or understood. 100 people (I like that number for metaphors) witness a disaster. If you ask everyone what happened, you will get 100 different accounts. This is because everyone viewed it from their own perspective. The disaster is not subjective, it is absolute. It DID happen. It is truth. Each witness however could only see part of the truth from where they stood and their perception of it is influenced by their past experiences. By listening to everyone's account, you can get an idea of the truth, but it can never be fully grasped.

Summary: Truth is absolute. Truth can never be fully grasped. That does not mean it doesn't exist.

However, there are many things that I can't prove don't exist. Vampires for one. However, I don't need to prove they don't exist. It is an unfalsifiable concept. Belief in reality is just another unfalsifiable concept. Believing in truth is exactly as valid as believing in leprechauns. Why choose one thing you've never seen over another?

You make an assumption based on evidence that could come from any number of sources. Simply because you find a large rock in an empty field doesn’t mean a catapult put it there.

There are many alternatives to the assumption that one observes a perspective-tainted glimpse of truth. All of them equally unfalsifiable, and therefore equally valid.

Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

SPQR Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2009 08:57 PM
    Threads

A tree does make a sound when it falls by itself in a forest. How the hell would it not? What a stupid rhetorical question.

Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sagat View Post
    A tree does make a sound when it falls by itself in a forest. How the hell would it not? What a stupid rhetorical question.
    I've always found it stupid simply because it leaves wide swaths of evidence even if no one observes it directly. But the question behind it is fairly interesting: Does the observer define reality or does reality determine the observation? Most observations I've made seem to indicate that observer defines reality. Or rather the apparent reality defines the observer defines the apparent reality.

Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Closed Thread

Thread Information