AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: New to Mecha

Junior Member SkepticTank is on a distinguished road SkepticTank's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-22-2007 04:05 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default New to Mecha

Hello. I'm kind of new to anime, and I really like mecha and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I've watched Mobile Suit Gundam and 08th MS Team, but was looking for something new.

I'm into mecha, good art, and a little nudity (although giant tentacles raping people isn't my thing). I know there is better stuff than Gundam out there, but wasn't sure where to look. Thanks.

Member RedShadow can only hope to improve RedShadow's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2007 06:34 PM
    Threads

U Should Try Neon Genesis Evangelion u might like it......opps and there is Eureka Seven
    Last edited by RedShadow; 01-22-2007 at 03:24 AM.

There is no such thing as bad actions just interesting choices
    www.myspace.com/redshadow_00

Junior Member SkepticTank is on a distinguished road SkepticTank's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-22-2007 04:05 AM
    Threads

Default English in Japan?

Thanks, I will. As a follow-up, I'm currently living in Japan, but don't speak the language. I have an all-region DVD player, but haven't picked up any Japanese DVD's because I didn't think they'd be dubber/subtitled.

I would much rather watch the originals. Does anyone know if it is common for them to be in English here?

Member RedShadow can only hope to improve RedShadow's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2007 06:34 PM
    Threads

i don't really know but i belive that you could probably change the languge......but u can always go onto www.youtube.com and look for the anime u want most likley it will be in japanese but they are always dubbed (when searching on youtube for anime if haven't ever done it just type in something like
    Neon Genesis Evangelion episode 1 and so on) but they don't have a lot of Neon Genesis Evangelion that i know of. Or Try this place http://www.spam-BLOCKED TEXT-spam.com/index.php (i hope i don't get i trouble for writting down toses websites)

There is no such thing as bad actions just interesting choices
    www.myspace.com/redshadow_00

Senior Member In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Ladybug Hare Ramen
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2012 03:29 PM
    Threads

these are some good anime that I have seen

Wild arms
    midori no hibi
    advent children
    rurouni kenshin
    azumanga daioh
    gungrave
    full metal panic
    full metal panic second raid
    grenadier
    princess mononoke
    gto
    hacksign
    mahou sensei negimu
    tokyo underground
    trigun
    golden boy
    hellsing
    neon genesis evangelion
    scrapped princess
    getbackers
    ouran highschool host club
    bleach
    samurai champlo
    air
    kanon
    elfen lied
    gunslinger girl
    steel angel kurumi
    ah my godess
    dokuro-chan
    onigai teacher
    onigai twins
    chobits
    FMA
    blood the last vampire
    mai hime
    100% ichigo

if you like gundam then maby you like full metal panic, check it out at youtube , there is like no similaritys between them but there is giant robots :P
    Last edited by In0kz; 01-22-2007 at 04:36 AM.

Senior Member jep'ray has a spectacular aura about jep'ray has a spectacular aura about jep'ray's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-20-2008 12:01 PM
    Threads

Patlabor (3 movies and a good TV series) and Macross are the heart and soul of mecha. Robotech, the U.S. melting pot of Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeda into one giantic story line is one worth looking into. Full metal panic and a good new one as is Eureka 7. don't bother with Gasarki waste of time, looks nice but thats about it...Eva and Rahxephon are mainstays that should also be watched. with the exception of Rah and Eva and Eureka7 the ones i listed are mecha in the light of Hard sci-fi, base loosely on reallity, loose...
    then you got like Giant Robo, Transgo Z or getter robo, i guess astro boy fits in somewhere in there. these are along the lines of Voltron and such. Then theres steam punk, sakura wars and steam boy which is all i can think of right now.

As for japan vs us dvd regions, they will have option languages, but the japanese will auto-boot in japanese and americans will always auto-run in dubbed. you will havr to go through the menu screen to switch over to either dub or sub, and the menu will of couse be in either english or japanese depending on what region you buy, just remember dvds are expensive in japan. same with music cd's, they taxed like crazy. I gotta admit the japanese dvd cases give you alot more content, but at something north of $40-60US bucks a pop last time i wanted to get "Howls moving castle" earllier than the us release...it can drain the bank fast. as for OG, watching, unless you buy them underground, the quality isn't degraded buying the US versions. i buy from the store my friend always goes the other route for his anime, i find my subtitles are better translated, and more suited to english than a direct translation from Nihongo to english since certain saying just get lost in translation. your call.
    Some people go through life with out ever truly going insain, what a horrible way to live

boopaloop! Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated's Avatar
    Gil
    Doubtful
    Gifts Xmas Tree Toast Present
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-06-2010 12:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I highly suggest RahXephon to you. No, it is not an NGE ripoff. Anyone who tells you so is highly mistaken, ignorant, and should be bludgeoned with a 2x4 made of Sense.

Eureka 7 is alright, except for the drawn out ending. No, but seriously. It's like watching the third Lord of the Rings movie. "Oh, they've back in the Shire. Is it over? No? Damnit." Except it's more like, "Okay, the ship got out of the army trap. Is it over? No? Damnit."

For a slightly anime series that still deserves to be watched, see if you can find Megas XLR. The art style is slightly anime, slightly US comic, but more than good enough. Basically, it's a parody of all things mecha.

All my Let's Plays can be found here!
    Currently LPing: Rome Total War:
    Latest Update:
    Chapter 3: The Last King of Carthage.
    Start from the beginning:
    Chapter 1: Sicily Unified.

Junior Member Antisocialnerd is on a distinguished road Antisocialnerd's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-10-2007 08:46 AM
    Threads

This is the greatest mecha anime ever Gunbuster's subtitle "Aim For the Top!" is an apt summary of this optimistic, never-say-die tale of courage, determination, and friendship. Young Takaya Noriko had always wanted to be a pilot like her father, who was killed in space during an alien attack. Despite her inexperience and youth, Noriko is chosen from her academy along with Kazumi, an older, more experienced student to represent Japan in the war against the same alien force who killed her father. Space is a different world from the earth, though, and soon Noriko finds herself almost unable to cope with the bizarre and traumatic events which begin to unfold around her regarding the war. Humanity's future lies in the balance as Noriko learns lessons about death, life, love, friendship, and courage as she deals with her own inadequacies...and pilots the Gunbuster. 1 http://www.mediafire.com/?5nmjjqg2zlm 2 http://www.mediafire.com/?czjz0yzxymo 3 http://www.mediafire.com/?8zzoq3zdyzz 4 http://www.mediafire.com/?0n0tlt0mdfz 5 http://www.mediafire.com/?4nygjtjhhiz 6 http://www.mediafire.com/?4ze1udqztmr
    Check out www.animestash.info for tons of great anime.

Senior Member blackrosetwilight has a reputation beyond repute blackrosetwilight has a reputation beyond repute blackrosetwilight has a reputation beyond repute blackrosetwilight has a reputation beyond repute blackrosetwilight has a reputation beyond repute blackrosetwilight has a reputation beyond repute blackrosetwilight has a reputation beyond repute blackrosetwilight has a reputation beyond repute blackrosetwilight has a reputation beyond repute blackrosetwilight has a reputation beyond repute blackrosetwilight has a reputation beyond repute blackrosetwilight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-01-2014 02:53 PM
    I live some where in Michigan and thats all Im telling
    Threads

try code geass its pretty good ecspecialy because the main character doesnt follow the male pilot of justice cliche.....well except for his emo friend

The Rocker Witch Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2008 01:51 PM
    Threads

Another nice you should get is The Vision of Escaflowne. It an interesting story.
    The Member Formerly Known as ~*Haru*~

[ This is my World, and you can't Join it ]
    Inhumane and Beautiful

You're a 90's kid when...
    You know that, before SpongeBob, the Snorkels inhabited the bottom of the Sea.

[~Set done by Megami~]

The King of Kings EonKid has a reputation beyond repute EonKid has a reputation beyond repute EonKid has a reputation beyond repute EonKid has a reputation beyond repute EonKid has a reputation beyond repute EonKid has a reputation beyond repute EonKid has a reputation beyond repute EonKid has a reputation beyond repute EonKid has a reputation beyond repute EonKid has a reputation beyond repute EonKid has a reputation beyond repute EonKid's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Gifts Kill Bill Katana Naruto Sharingan Bobba Fett
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-09-2012 08:38 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HolsteredKnight

Try these ones
    1. Patlabor(movies & series)
    2. Blue Gender
    3. Brust Angel
    4. Gunparade March
    5. Macross Plus(robotech TV series)
    6. Gasaraki
    7. Nadesico(TV series & movie)
    Last edited by EonKid; 04-22-2007 at 05:48 AM.

Member the japanese ed gein has much to be proud of the japanese ed gein has much to be proud of the japanese ed gein has much to be proud of the japanese ed gein has much to be proud of the japanese ed gein has much to be proud of the japanese ed gein has much to be proud of the japanese ed gein has much to be proud of the japanese ed gein has much to be proud of the japanese ed gein has much to be proud of the japanese ed gein has much to be proud of the japanese ed gein's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-11-2007 02:09 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticTank View Post
    Hello. I'm kind of new to anime, and I really like mecha and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I've watched Mobile Suit Gundam and 08th MS Team, but was looking for something new.

I'm into mecha, good art, and a little nudity (although giant tentacles raping people isn't my thing). I know there is better stuff than Gundam out there, but wasn't sure where to look. Thanks.
    08th MS Team is a great gundam series good choice. I would say however that you should also look up the other gundam series as well! 0079, 0080, 0083, Z and ZZ are also really good but as for series outside the Gundam panthenon - i think everyone else on here pretty has recommended anything else id reccondmend.
    There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Junior Member MK2 will become famous soon enough MK2's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-15-2007 11:59 AM
    Threads

Check this mecha blog:
    http://neotypepage.blogspot.com/

Junior Member Blood-Katana is infamous around these parts Blood-Katana is infamous around these parts Blood-Katana is infamous around these parts Blood-Katana's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-01-2007 03:58 PM
    Threads

k these all sound awsome but does any body know where i can watch them/download them FOR FREE casue i live in canada *grunts* and i praticly watch evrey anime that is on tv but thats only like 10

Member lafiel has a spectacular aura about lafiel has a spectacular aura about lafiel's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-23-2007 10:20 PM
    Threads

Escaflowne and Evangelion are the best I highly reccommend watching each of these series.

Stick Master unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-12-2010 03:51 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by In0kz View Post
    these are some good anime that I have seen

Wild arms
    midori no hibi
    advent children
    rurouni kenshin
    azumanga daioh
    gungrave
    full metal panic
    full metal panic second raid
    grenadier
    princess mononoke
    gto
    hacksign
    mahou sensei negimu
    tokyo underground
    trigun
    golden boy
    hellsing
    neon genesis evangelion
    scrapped princess
    getbackers
    ouran highschool host club
    bleach
    samurai champlo
    air
    kanon
    elfen lied
    gunslinger girl
    steel angel kurumi
    ah my godess
    dokuro-chan
    onigai teacher
    onigai twins
    chobits
    FMA
    blood the last vampire
    mai hime
    100% ichigo

if you like gundam then maby you like full metal panic, check it out at youtube , there is like no similaritys between them but there is giant robots :P
    half of those aren't even mecha anime.

I agree with FMP though, From the type of anime you have described, I think you will like Full Metal Panic a lot. Also, try the anime movie Appleseed.

Get crazy with the cheezwiz

[I like cookies & beer]

Senior Member chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989 has a reputation beyond repute chappie1989's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-01-2008 05:40 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by unspun View Post
    half of those aren't even mecha anime.

I agree with FMP though, From the type of anime you have described, I think you will like Full Metal Panic a lot. Also, try the anime movie Appleseed.
    But most of the anime he posted are really good. Though I need to buy some of those soon. because i am bored out of my mind without anime to distract me.

Good mecha animes are the macross series. FullMetal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic. and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, The first series is good but the 2ng sucks.
    though it is a bit futuristic. Don;t know if it is a mecha for sure.

Yoko Littner Fan Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Gifts Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-09-2014 02:44 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Full Metal Alchemist is mecha?! Holy cow.

Anyways, if you can get your hands on it, watch Gurren Lagann, good stuff.

*EDIT* Also, I second the notion to watch Full Metal Panic! (all three seasons yessir) and RahXephon. I never really liked NGE to be honest >_> I can't think of anything else that isn't gundam. Bleh.
    Last edited by Cantelope; 06-22-2007 at 04:10 PM.

My Photography
    #JustCanteThings
    My Signature Tags
    Project Cantelope
    A Home for Manly Souls
    Dai-Gurren Dan

Domo Army Victim Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-10-2010 04:42 PM
    Highland, CA (since nobody knows where that is)
    Threads

For me, the best mech series I can recommend is definitely Mazinkaiser. Normally I am not a fan of something where the lead mech is invincible, but the way it goes in this 7 episode OVA was simply awesome. To me, there is no mech that looks as awesome as it is kicking butt as the Mazinkaiser, especially when they add the Kaiser Scrander near the end. If you watch that series, I would also make sure to see the "movie" Death: Mazinkaiser vs. Ankoku Dai-shogun (translates to like great dark general, but the Japanese sounds cooler).

Also worth checking out would be, as probably mentioned below, Eureka Seven, Code Geass, RahXephon (I don't think of it as an NGE rip off, but rather a VAST improvement in that series).

Probably not mentioned below, I would recommend Legend of Daiku Maryu Gaiking.

Closed Thread

Thread Information