AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Attention Great Manga Artists

Junior Member Sugar90210 is on a distinguished road Sugar90210's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-29-2006 03:56 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Attention Great Manga Artists

You see, I really want to learn Manga. TELL ME HOW YOU LEARNED! No boring, long, COMPLICATED books that you never want to pick up. Tell me how you learned, what resources, like what books, etc.

Thank you for looking

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I've been drawing since I was two years old, and I'm seventeen now, so you do the math.
    I've learned everything on my own. I began drawing with real people and observational drawings, and then brought a manga style into that.

I suggest to never use those books such as "How to Draw Manga". The best way is to learn on your own and develop your own style, lest you become lost in someone else's style.

Anyway, observational drawing is the key to just about any drawing. Start from there. Develop the basics and develop your skills, then proceed to start with anime and manga.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Thank you for the tips! Do you think looking at my manga books as visional inspiration would help?

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

As inspiration? Absolutely. When I'm in a funk for ideas...such as the past month...I read a lot of manga, more so than I typically do...mind you, I've been known to read 2-3 volumes of manga a day for a month. Certain manga and artists show me different things, different methods, proper proportions, or different lines. For instance, Prince of Tennis manga has spectacular use of lines to create a sense of movement. I can specifically remember a ball bouncing on a court in Volume 12 which I actually thought was moving for a split-second. The lines the manga-ka uses are genius.
    For details, I refer to the more recent works of Eiichiro Oda, the manga-ka of One Piece. The man, though using a style weighted toward cartoonism, inserts an insane amount of detail, especially during One Piece's CP9 arc.
    I refer to my favorite manga-ka, Oh!Great, as means for the human body. That man has truly come to great understanding of the body.
    For machinery, I'd read anything by the author of BLAME!...I can't remember the name of the author, but both of the most well known of her works, Bio-Mega, and BLAME! are fantastic for machinery and technical drawings.
    For expressions in an anime style which is balanced between cartoonism and realism, I look to the more recent chapters of Kubo Tite's Bleach.

Of course, I don't limit myself to just these specific series or authors. I've read well over 200 series, probably about 300 by now, and probably about 150 different authors.
    Granted, I am nothing special at drawing manga and the like. My specialty lies in mechanical drawing.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

thanks ^_^

Senior Member 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2010 11:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Practice drawing. A LOT. And read lots and lots of manga. Take notes on clothing, story, backgrounds, tones, and shading. Draw from real life too. Especially real clothes or fabric or nature, like trees. Go with the ideas you enjoy most and don't worry about pleasing other people.

And now the world is mine Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Xmas Tree
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2013 08:30 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Here are my tips to you:

1. Ok, well I learned from scratch. One of my friends gave me a book called How To Draw Manga by Katy Coope. She also wrote another one called How To Draw More Manga. I think those are good beginner books. If you want to get more detailed with your works, Chirstopher Hart has some good books out there. They are more expensive, but helpful. The books he has are Manga Mania Shoujo, Manga Mania How To Draw Japanese Comics, Manga Mania Fantasy Worlds, and there are some more. The books by Christopher Hart are about 20 dollars, but I think they are good.

2. If you have problems drawing hands, like me T_T) you should follow this tip this guy gave me once. He said that you should just continue to draw hands for 1 month and draw nothing but hands and you'll be good at hands. It worked.

3. Date and save all your drawings to see your progress and then work on things you think you are't so good at. Also get critisism from others. Puting your pictures on AF fanart section is a good way to do that.

4. Keep on practicing.
    (If you want more tips, just PM me.)

Senior Member 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

...this might be mean but...I wouldn't count on any how to draw manga book if it's by someone who isn't Japanese...x_x

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by 小美ドクロchan View Post
    ...this might be mean but...I wouldn't count on any how to draw manga book if it's by someone who isn't Japanese...x_x
    Ethnicity has nothing to do with the ability to draw.

At that point, I say don't trust any "how to draw manga" book. This way, you are able to develop your own skills and techniques, your own style, and continue to evolve your style as you grow. Learning from a book just gets you lost in the style and techniques of someone else, and that will hinder your ability to grow as an artist (in relation to manga).

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Thanks guys! I just drew some pics. They are coming along nicely.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Ethnicity has nothing to do with the ability to draw.
    That's not what I'm getting at. Obviously a Japanese person would know how to draw Japanese comics the best. >_>; Because I've seen American "manga" published and no matter what you can tell it's "American". They can't seem to get the Japanese style no matter how hard they try.

Junior Member Katakanya is on a distinguished road Katakanya's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-23-2007 03:37 PM
    In a dark place where only dark magic dwells
    Threads

^Amen
    I hate American Manga >_<

Taiga ga suki da. KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2010 12:32 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

to sum it all up...practice practice and practice!^^ keep practicing and making your own work so that eventually you'll find your own style.you might hit a few bumps on the road.on this i recommend geting out your fav manga and looking at those for inspiration.keep a database of good manga and anime pics that way you can look at any of them when youre stuck.hope this helps!^^

バン!バン!
    ---

|

---
    [sketches] | [sig thread]

And now the world is mine Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Xmas Tree
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2013 08:30 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by 小美ドクロchan View Post
    That's not what I'm getting at. Obviously a Japanese person would know how to draw Japanese comics the best. >_>; Because I've seen American "manga" published and no matter what you can tell it's "American". They can't seem to get the Japanese style no matter how hard they try.

But you can't just say, because people are American that they can't draw well. Anyway the books I suggested teach you essencials(I spelled that wrong) in whatever they were talking about. They don't give you their style of manga, its more of the basic structures.

Junior Member Katakanya is on a distinguished road Katakanya's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-23-2007 03:37 PM
    In a dark place where only dark magic dwells
    Threads

I am baffled that you recommended those two books by Katy Coope. She writes a book on how to draw manga when she herself cannot draw manga. I have received those books as a gift, and frankly it is americanized scribbles. It seems Ms. Coope must have some daughter that draws anime and thought she might as well give a whack at it.
    Please don't recommend books that will not help her.
    If you want help, "Idiot's Guide to Drawing Manga" is pretty good. It has helped me a lot. I am planning on buying more "How to Draw Manga" Books, so I'll reccomend more when I have more info.

Why did you leave
    you left me to bleed
    the feeling is criminal
    like going the wrong way
    on a one way street
    I was breaking down
    thought you would catch me
    before I hit the ground
    but you left me to bleed

Closed Thread

Thread Information