AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: How to Appreciate Death Metal

-|- Sarucay Angel -|- Lady Risa Emrys is infamous around these parts Lady Risa Emrys is infamous around these parts Lady Risa Emrys is infamous around these parts Lady Risa Emrys is infamous around these parts Lady Risa Emrys is infamous around these parts Lady Risa Emrys is infamous around these parts Lady Risa Emrys is infamous around these parts Lady Risa Emrys is infamous around these parts Lady Risa Emrys is infamous around these parts Lady Risa Emrys is infamous around these parts Lady Risa Emrys is infamous around these parts Lady Risa Emrys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2007 10:15 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Post How to Appreciate Death Metal

Interesting title no? It caught my eye while I was surfing google so I figured after gving it some skimming, I would share this with all of you out there.

While most people associate death metal music with a bunch of guys grunting and slapping detuned guitars randomly, there's a multitude of reasons why this genre maintains a strong following and earns the fierce loyalty of many listeners worldwide. If you're curious about death metal, here's you're chance to learn, appreciate, listen, and enjoy.

1. Listen beyond the crunching guitars and harsh singing. Although the rough guitar sound and grating vocals permeate all of death metal, it can take a little getting used to, especially if your ears are accustomed to softer sounds. Believe it or not, it's more than just noise...There are melodies, patterns, and complexities to be appreciated if you listen attentively enough.
    2. Realize that playing and singing death metal requires enormous practice and skill. Even bass players, who don't do the complex leads and melodies associated with death metal guitar, cite to have practiced one piece of music for at least a full year just for a mere audition.
    3. Watch a live death metal performance. Even if it's on a TV screen, observe how the group members manipulate the instruments. If you've ever tried to play those instruments yourself, you'll probably be amazed with how skillfully they play. It takes talent, practice, and dedication, which challenges the stereotype of metalheads being lazy and careless.
    4. Remember that in death metal, unlike many other genres, each band almost always writes their own music. That includes the riffs, drums, solos, and lyrics. Writing your own music demonstrates another dimension of instrumental mastery and talent, as well as making the music more personal and less manufactured.
    5. Understand the context and subject matter. Death metal lyrics and themes, while not to be taken literally, celebrate the outer extremes of human experience, such as the motivations of serial killers, the activities of the walking dead, death itself, and isolation. Death metal is less about generic anger and more about empathy for people who suffer from despair, isolation, and who possess an acute sense of unfair ostracism from society. Also, many bands will cover other topics not usually associated with death, such as mythology, religion, society, and even love.
    6. Know the sub-genres. Not all death metal is the same. The genre contains many sub-genres that can frequenlty mix and intermingle with each other. As a result, it may be difficult to ascribe a band under a single sub-genre. Here's a general guideline to get you started:
    • Gore metal: Cannibal Corpse, Exhumed, Aborted, Cattle Decapitation
    • Goregrind: Terminally Your Aborted Ghost, Anal Bleeding, Gutteral Engorgement, XXX Maniak
    • Deathcore: Despised Icon, Job For a Cowboy, Beneath the Massacre, Waking the Cadaver
    • Grind: Phobia, Circle of Dead Children, Napalm Death, Rotten Sound
    • Technical: Ominous, Death, Gorguts, Atheist, Necrophagist
    • Melodic: Dissection (old), Dark Tranquility, In Flames (old), Sacrilege, Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom
    • Brutal: Deicide, Malevolent Creation, Aborted, Deranged, Blood Red Throne, Dying Fetus, Decapitated, Suffocation
    1. Respect the artists. The greatest death metalists almost can't make a living with what they do, and yet the musicians in these bands continue to soldier on in spite of their obscurity.
    My source ~ Link

Junior Member Two Past 24 is just really nice Two Past 24 is just really nice Two Past 24 is just really nice Two Past 24 is just really nice Two Past 24 is just really nice Two Past 24's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-07-2006 04:14 PM
    Threads

Ha-ha, I like this. I know a lot of people needing this to be told to them. And I agree.
    [24]

Senior Member Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-17-2011 01:14 PM
    Threads

I agree totally. Death Metal can be really hard to listen to often times. But being a shred/death/metal guitarist I have enormous appriciation for most death metal bands. Particularly the drums and guitar. And occasionally death metal bands implement keyboards, and they usually have a sick keyboardist that blows your mind. So I'd say this is a pretty right on article.
    All The Ways You Wish Could Be? That's me

Matsu-Matsu-San Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2008 12:53 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Masali View Post
    I agree totally. Death Metal can be really hard to listen to often times. But being a shred/death/metal guitarist I have enormous appriciation for most death metal bands. Particularly the drums and guitar. And occasionally death metal bands implement keyboards, and they usually have a sick keyboardist that blows your mind. So I'd say this is a pretty right on article.
    oh yeah!!! I'll take a sick keyboardist over a sick guitiarist anyday!

~*Inspired by Skyla_G*~

[Justin Wong]: Im the Greatest Street Fighter player in the world!!!
    [Rival Deigo]: Street fighter is over-rated...Just like spelling!

Senior Member Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-30-2007 12:59 AM
    Threads

An example of a great band that uses keyboards is Children Of Bodom. Janne Warman is (I think) one of the best keyboardist ever. Very talented. The whole band is. Personally, I love Death Metal. Great genre.

Serenith's pet Crocodile Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2010 04:37 PM
    Threads

I'm going to get horrid hate from this, but I'm going to say it anyways.

I absolutely despise this kind of Metal, for it's encouraging BAD musicianship. All that you hear in most of the songs are a mush of screaming, loud playing, extremely fast licks, etc. All that it's meant to do is make the audience say," WOW!". If there is harmony, why make the people have to pick out where it is in all the noise? Why not make everything else tone down while the melody was playing? That's the logical way of playing, though they go against that anyways.

Almost every song that I have heard from this genre (And trust me, I've heard a lot) has one thing in common; single loud volume throughout the entire piece. What made music so exciting in the past was the dynamic contrast, and the effect that it had on the composition. With all those effects, they could accurately represent emotions/themes/etc. Death metal misses out on all of that, just being a screaming pile of rubbish.

Just to add to that, I'm only saying that it's not musical, not that it isn't popular. Just look at rap; that's probably the most anti-musical style around, and it's one of the most popular genres.

EDIT: I took a quick look at the first post, and I want to add something. I'm not saying that these guys are not talented as players, but personally I think that they're misusing the talent that they have on the instrument. I could play a lot of things that Death Metal Drummers could, but the real challenge in drumming is to be able to play musically without covering up the pitched instruments.
    Last edited by Ichiro Matsuchani; 01-14-2007 at 03:27 PM.
    Sig by -Ookami-, thank you Ookami!

Elder Scrolls Oblivion: A Tale Retold

http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?t=94454

Senior Member Scarlet Wings has a reputation beyond repute Scarlet Wings has a reputation beyond repute Scarlet Wings has a reputation beyond repute Scarlet Wings has a reputation beyond repute Scarlet Wings has a reputation beyond repute Scarlet Wings has a reputation beyond repute Scarlet Wings has a reputation beyond repute Scarlet Wings has a reputation beyond repute Scarlet Wings has a reputation beyond repute Scarlet Wings has a reputation beyond repute Scarlet Wings has a reputation beyond repute Scarlet Wings's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2008 06:15 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Fragile.Dreams View Post
    An example of a great band that uses keyboards is Children Of Bodom. Janne Warman is (I think) one of the best keyboardist ever. Very talented. The whole band is. Personally, I love Death Metal. Great genre.
    Children of Bodom isn't really Death Metal. I think they're about half way there. They are good though.
    Last edited by Scarlet Wings; 01-16-2007 at 01:41 PM.

Senior Member Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams has a reputation beyond repute Fragile.Dreams's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-30-2007 12:59 AM
    Threads

I never said they were Death Metal. I was saying they were an example of a band that uses KEYBOARDS.
    I know they aren't Death Metal.
    They aren't one genre, and probably never will be.
    Every album their sound has changed slightly, for better or worse.

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 11:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

All rubbish. Or rather, most of it is rubbish.

I agree with Ichiro, it is antimusical. I hear NO melodies, just screaming, random cords, loud booms, all meshed together. And I see many flaws with your arguement for appreciation.

Just as I told a poet today, just because it is original, doesn't mean it is any good. Being able to write crappy music doesn't do much for you, it just brings attention to your lacking talents. And as for practice, I'm sure they do practice, and do nothing else.

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Senior Member Doomblade will become famous soon enough Doomblade will become famous soon enough Doomblade's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-16-2007 02:08 AM
    Threads

I definitely appreciate it, although it is hard to run into a good Death Metal song. It requires alot of skill to play a good Death Metal song. 75% of the bands in the genre suck though because they have no skill, but good songs are REALLY good songs when you find them.

Senior Member Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2011 04:57 PM
    Threads

My thoughts on death metal? Death metal is an acquired taste that can bring great rewards to the listener, if it is acquired. I am just recently getting into death metal, and it isn't exactly easy. It does take time to get used to.

Senior Member MetalIsEternal has a brilliant future MetalIsEternal has a brilliant future MetalIsEternal has a brilliant future MetalIsEternal has a brilliant future MetalIsEternal has a brilliant future MetalIsEternal has a brilliant future MetalIsEternal has a brilliant future MetalIsEternal has a brilliant future MetalIsEternal has a brilliant future MetalIsEternal has a brilliant future MetalIsEternal has a brilliant future MetalIsEternal's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-14-2009 07:12 PM
    Threads

i personally love death metal and im glad someone started a thread like this, their are a lot more people who need to quit writing it off as "noise" and "mindless screaming". maybe this thread will change their opinion of it. i doubt it though. when it comes to music these days, a lot of people are concerned about whats "cool" and whatnot instead of whats actually good music or whats actually music for that matter. i really wish people would stop stereotyping metal assuming that just because its got some screaming in it that its satanic or demonic and crap, but whatever. music is a touchy subject for a lot of people. if people are going to change and actually listen to other stuff besides whats "popular" theyve got to want to. its all up to them really. also, people not liking a type of music for no really good reason needs to change. i at least dont like certain types of music because i actually sat down and listened to it and decided i didnt like it. people are rediculous, you know what i mean?

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 11:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I'm with Ichiro on this. I listen to chaotic music, but unlike death metal, the lyrics are recognizable, there is harmony (in the sense than many unharmonic sounds merge to form a harmonic sound, such includes turntableism, electronica, dark trip-hop, Shibuya-kei and the like), there is rhythm.
    In death metal, the constant abuse of volume and deep tones drowns out everything else, leaving only a monstrous scream enveloped by ear-shatter drums and barely detectable guitar. And don't say "well you never listen to any!" No. I have, and I do, as most of my friends like the stuff. I'm exposed to it on a daily basis, so that argument is moot...odd how I am the butt of jokes for listening to music with harmony.
    Also, the lyrics all tend to blend together: gore, death, murder, bush-bashing, anarchist babble, anti-government babble, betrayal, and is it just me or do WAY to many death metal songs and albums and lyrics and videos involve maggots? Seriously, what is with the maggots? Just look at the names of the bands you have listen: "Cattle Decapitation", "XXX Maniak", "Napalm Death", "Dying Fetus". Okay, act all dark and disturbed or whatever, but get some damn taste while your at it. This stuff just all ends up blending together. Granted, there are the slight diversities, but it all just filters together.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 11:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

Quote Originally Posted by MetalIsEternal View Post
    when it comes to music these days, a lot of people are concerned about whats "cool" and whatnot instead of whats actually good music or whats actually music for that matter. i really wish people would stop stereotyping metal assuming that just because its got some screaming in it that its satanic or demonic and crap, but whatever. music is a touchy subject for a lot of people. if people are going to change and actually listen to other stuff besides whats "popular" theyve got to want to. its all up to them really.
    1) Death metal IS "cool" and popular, so you're arguement there is invalid.

2)I think, while reading the subgenres of death metal, that there is proof of QUITE a bit of satanic and demonic content, not just "some".

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Junior Member KG442 is just really nice KG442 is just really nice KG442 is just really nice KG442 is just really nice KG442's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-05-2007 02:50 AM
    Threads

For better listening, try Quo Vadis, they have a more refined sound, unlike their generalised counterparts.

Quite a few of these posts here made for a good laugh.

Firstly, Napalm Death are under a genre called Grindcore, which is similar to some kinds of metal, like Death Metal for instance, but was also heavily influenced by Punk, if you ever bother to read about it

Death Metal is particularly an underground subgenre (probably stating the obvious, but by the looks of things here, it isn't), I do agree it is an aquired taste and isn't exactly something that everyone in the population is bound to like, although I myself, really only listen to Melodic and oldschool Death Metal.

It was also funny to see that Deicide were categorized into Brutal Death Metal, which is something they are definitely NOT, they are oldshool and have been around since the 80's, while Brutal Death Metal was only founded in the 90's as the genre's sound slowly evolved.

For future reference, Children of Bodom are Extreme Power Metal. The reason they are regarded as extreme is simply because of Alexi Laiho's harsh vocals. Keybords don't particularly belong to Death Metal, although have been used in some cases, to enhance the sound (for all those who aren't rejecting it - eg "it all just filters together"). The keyboards used in this case are more like what can be heard in other Power Metal bands, hence why they have also been categorized here. Other examples of Power Metal Bands using keyboards, with clean vocals, include Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius.

Also, "oldschool" is just a term to refer to the bands which pioneered the genre in it's early years, most of which are contiuing to make music.

Thanks to those who had the time to read this :P
    Last edited by KG442; 01-20-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Member Okita-Kun is just really nice Okita-Kun is just really nice Okita-Kun is just really nice Okita-Kun is just really nice Okita-Kun is just really nice Okita-Kun's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-14-2007 03:34 PM
    Threads

I aprreciate death metal musicians for their talent. However, I don't listen to it regularly. Though there are some bands that I really like (Morbid Angel, In Flames, Napalm Death, and a few others).

Lately I have been getting into some Black Metal. Once you get past all of the cheesy "f* Christ rape Mary" type lyrics you can find a form of music that is even more beautiful than death meta.

Closed Thread

Thread Information