AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Women: Anime vs Disney

Junior Member ice_white_tiger is on a distinguished road ice_white_tiger's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-01-2006 04:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Red face Women: Anime vs Disney

Hey there - how is everyone today? New person here!

As part of my A2 Media Studies work, I had to come up with a question, which I will be later discussing in my exam, which takes place in June. My question is:

How are the roles of women represented in Eastern and Western Animation, looking at Anime and Disney?

To help with my studies, I must refer to sources of all kinds, including magazines, books and websites. There is also encouragment to use surveys as a means of source, which is why I'm here

So, no matter what experience you have of watching Disney and/or Anime, all I ask you is...

1) How do YOU think women are represented in both Disney and Anime?

2) Which of these representations do you find the most realistic?

3) Do you find any elements of either Disney or Anime representations to be degrading or offensive?

Much love
    Karla x x x

Souhi's beloved fangirl *.:Endless Sky:.* has a reputation beyond repute *.:Endless Sky:.* has a reputation beyond repute *.:Endless Sky:.* has a reputation beyond repute *.:Endless Sky:.* has a reputation beyond repute *.:Endless Sky:.* has a reputation beyond repute *.:Endless Sky:.* has a reputation beyond repute *.:Endless Sky:.* has a reputation beyond repute *.:Endless Sky:.* has a reputation beyond repute *.:Endless Sky:.* has a reputation beyond repute *.:Endless Sky:.* has a reputation beyond repute *.:Endless Sky:.* has a reputation beyond repute *.:Endless Sky:.*'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-17-2009 11:59 AM
    Threads

Well, I think in Disney women are represented as leaders/powerful beings. Anime, not too much of that going around.

Disney.

3) Do you find any elements of either Disney or Anime representations to be degrading or offensive?

Indeed. For anime, some of the women's breasts are far too big in my opinion.
    ~Thanks, Souhi! I heart it!~

Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 04:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Why only Disney? =(
    What happened to comic books, argh! >_<

Disney, Most of the time...
    Helpless Princess in need of rescueing from a dashing Knight.
    Some instances they are the Hero. Mulan for example.

Anime...Basically woman are...
    Distraction Breasts!...Distraction breasts with a brain the size of an acorn.
    OR
    Some kind of super kunoichi.

In some rare cases women take on important roles and other such things...It's 6:30 and i'm unsure of what i'm typing mind you...I'm not even sure what that means, I'm that tired.
    Anyway...
    As I see it, both are about the same.
    Disney princesses are helpless, frail little flowers who need the big strong man to save her.
    Anime girls serve the purpose of boobs with a body, because Japan is a male dominated society, so most of the artwork and pretty pictures have to apeal to men (Also note that Japan has the LOWEST rate of sexual satisfaction out of the 28? I think 28 major countries...Or was it more, who cares)

Not always the case, but often.

If we were living in the dark ages or feaudal Japan where women weren't allowed to do anything but look pretty and house-work, both are fairly realistic. However, by todays standards, Disney, just a liiitttlllee bit more. They've been getting better in the past few years.

Disney? Yes. They drastically stretch some historical based movies (Pocahontas anyone?) and the fantasy tales, like I said, often have the woman in need of rescue.

Anime? Maybe it would be easier if every woman on the planet under-went mandatory breast enlargement.
    Tone down the breasts. Large breasts aren't the only attractive feature of a woman.

With that said...Sleep time....In a few minutes.

The Only Dojima Dragon Kazuma-chan is infamous around these parts Kazuma-chan is infamous around these parts Kazuma-chan is infamous around these parts Kazuma-chan is infamous around these parts Kazuma-chan is infamous around these parts Kazuma-chan is infamous around these parts Kazuma-chan is infamous around these parts Kazuma-chan is infamous around these parts Kazuma-chan is infamous around these parts Kazuma-chan is infamous around these parts Kazuma-chan is infamous around these parts Kazuma-chan's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2007 08:58 AM
    Threads

1: not really sure what to answer desiney females are usually main characters where as animes thay are also main characters but usually with somethig really kick *** about them

2: desney do look more real since thye are drawn as real as possible anime are over exaguated which gives them their personallity

3: not really i think that ^ has pretty much expalined everythin gfor this answer!
    Are you a fan?:
    Fan of:

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ice_white_tiger
    Hey there - how is everyone today? New person here!

As part of my A2 Media Studies work, I had to come up with a question, which I will be later discussing in my exam, which takes place in June. My question is:

How are the roles of women represented in Eastern and Western Animation, looking at Anime and Disney?

To help with my studies, I must refer to sources of all kinds, including magazines, books and websites. There is also encouragment to use surveys as a means of source, which is why I'm here

So, no matter what experience you have of watching Disney and/or Anime, all I ask you is...

Much love
    Karla x x x
    1. Depends on the Anime. It's really not fair to compare Disney to Anime. Anime has a range of audiences (depending on the Anime), from small children to adults. I don't think it's possible to generalize. Also, there's cultural differences to be taken into consideration, Disney will depict western women whilst Anime will depict eastern women, and that's not necessarily the same.

2. Again, can't compare.

3. I find Disney's representation of reality to be offensive to the repugnant. Children need to be taught that the world is a cold and unforgiving place, not that magic exists and if you really wish for something it will happen.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Goddess (Mom <333) Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Dr Who Tardis Dr Who SonicScrewdriver Dr Who K9
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2011 02:24 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

I totally agree with Diesel

you have to narrow Anime down to a genre to answer this question. Its like comparing specifically Red Delicious apples to any type of citrus fruit. Its not only uncomparable but its a general against a specific.

Anime women can be anything. Leiji Matsumoto for example has many women in positions of power that are intimidating, beatuiful, and fearful. Some are good some are bad. They are hardly "eye candy". Infact Emeraldas has a large scar across her face. She is very smart and independent. Then you have fan service anime's, where most of it is flashing panties and massive cleavage everywhere like Love Hina. Or you have a very proper Eastern woman, who is polite, courteous, and well behaved like Belldandy in Ah Megami Sama.

The women in Disney movies are very cookie cutter, very few break the mold, and are either one of three things; helpless, or evil, or a fairy. The plots are as predictable as the characters.

2. Which genre of anime, there are some anime's that are SUPPOSED to be realistic, more so then say Galaxy Express, or Ah Megami Sama. Where as Disney is based off of folk lore and stories everyone already knows and have been around much longer than Disney itself.

3. Do I find anything to be offensive? nah. I realize that its a story, its meant to show the bright side of everything, be overly positive and entertain. Do I own Disney movies? yes. When I'm in that mood I'll pop in Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty and enjoy the notion that yes, romance is alive, love conquors all and eveyone will live happily ever after. But I also own Anime, and find enjoyment in watching Priss Asagiri jump into a suit, become a knight saber and smash everything. Disney's purpose is to entertain, not provoke deep thought and debate about the fate of the world. Anime has just about every purpose you can think of, I'm sure there's an Anime for that.
    A simple kiss can warm an entire body

Senior Member Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-02-2008 11:44 AM
    Threads

1. Disney: They're getting much better. For example, Pocahontas was an independant young lady who had quite strong beliefs about war and the environment. Mulan becomes a cross-dressing soldier to help her family. Jasmine refuses to marry and runs away from a sheltered life. Today, I'd say they usually feature strong female characters who aren't bad role models at all.

But they've often been portrayed as beautiful, sweet-natured, self-sacrificing martyrs (Cinderella, Snow White, etc) who have little say in what happens to them until a prince comes along and rescues them. Ariel was content to give up her voice, soul, home and family for a man she had just met, Nala and the other lionesses had to wait for Simba to come back and save them, Snow White cheerfully spent all her time doing housework and being victimised until someone came along and rescued her.

Anime: I can't say I know much about how it's portrayed women in the past, but today it seems to be quite positive, despite issues with how women are treated in Japan even now. There's a surprising amount of realistic portrayals of strong female characters in all sorts of roles, from ordinary schoolgirls right up to animes such as Ghost in the Shell, which feature women in extreme masculine roles. There are still damsels in distress, but it seems to depend who the series is aimed at- anime popular amongst girls usually features lots of confident, capable female characters.

On the other hand, even the strongest female characters are often presented quite sexually, with exaggerated figures and skimpy outfits. There's also the issue of how young they look, but this applies to some male characters too. There's also the entire yaoi genre, which is interesting from a feminist view point- even though it doesn't directly represent female characters, it represents (often) very effeminate characters created for women, by women.

2. I'm not sure. They both have positive and negative representations. Disney is associated with helpless princesses, and anime is associated with heavily sexualised female characters.

3. Disney: Yes, the older films were definitely degrading. The characters were traditionally pretty, drippy home-makers and it wasn't a happy ending unless they ended up marrying a prince. Today, I don't have any problem with their representation of female characters.

Anime: There's plenty of negative things commonly associated with anime's portrayal of women- exaggeratedly young looking characters, schoolgirls, hentai, enormous boobs, up-skirt shots, etc, but there's a lot of different types of anime aimed at children, teenagers of both sexes, adult audiences and so on. Pointing out degrading examples in hentai doesn't really reflect on mainstream series that do feature good female role models. Overall, the only thing that really comes to mind is the exaggerated figures and tiny outfits, and that's not something that really bothers me.

Heartless Angel Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts Cake Heart Katana
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-10-2024 01:42 PM
    Threads

Personally, I think animated films and TV series are use to entertain and tell a story.

I have seen anime where women are treated like dirt and also anime where women are in power.

The disney films I have seen depict women in traditional ways (1980+). Pixar, on the other hand, has been depicting women as more modern and realistic (John Lasiter says this was inspired by anime). Today, Disney is often relying on Pixar to create the films and Disney is currently taking credit, and ownership, of the films.

Alakina Paysinger

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Minako View Post
    I totally agree with Diesel

you have to narrow Anime down to a genre to answer this question. Its like comparing specifically Red Delicious apples to any type of citrus fruit. Its not only uncomparable but its a general against a specific.

Anime women can be anything. Leiji Matsumoto for example has many women in positions of power that are intimidating, beatuiful, and fearful. Some are good some are bad. They are hardly "eye candy". Infact Emeraldas has a large scar across her face. She is very smart and independent. Then you have fan service anime's, where most of it is flashing panties and massive cleavage everywhere like Love Hina. Or you have a very proper Eastern woman, who is polite, courteous, and well behaved like Belldandy in Ah Megami Sama.

The women in Disney movies are very cookie cutter, very few break the mold, and are either one of three things; helpless, or evil, or a fairy. The plots are as predictable as the characters.

2. Which genre of anime, there are some anime's that are SUPPOSED to be realistic, more so then say Galaxy Express, or Ah Megami Sama. Where as Disney is based off of folk lore and stories everyone already knows and have been around much longer than Disney itself.

3. Do I find anything to be offensive? nah. I realize that its a story, its meant to show the bright side of everything, be overly positive and entertain. Do I own Disney movies? yes. When I'm in that mood I'll pop in Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty and enjoy the notion that yes, romance is alive, love conquors all and eveyone will live happily ever after. But I also own Anime, and find enjoyment in watching Priss Asagiri jump into a suit, become a knight saber and smash everything. Disney's purpose is to entertain, not provoke deep thought and debate about the fate of the world. Anime has just about every purpose you can think of, I'm sure there's an Anime for that.
    Oh my god! I think I just fell in love! (Habit: I always say this when I agree completely)
    I can only post one day a week. ...Phooey.

Closed Thread

Thread Information