Well everyone... it is getting to be that time of year again... You see the mud slinging on TV, hear it on the radio. You hear people talking, debating, and sometimes out right arguing about it-- at school, in public, even at home.
If you have parents that are on opposite sides of the political fence, like mine are, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. My father being a conservative republican, and my mother being a middle ground democrat.
Honestly, it gets old hearing them argue every year, so starting last year, after listening to them argue for over an hour, I finally told them both to shut the hell up for bickering like children. And I've continued to do so every time they start at it again. Funny thing is that it works!
Myself, I dislike both major political parties. So I go independent and pick and choose on the issues. I wish more people did that. A lot of people say they do... But I don't believe that. They vote republican, or they vote democrat. That is almost always the way.
What issues matter to you the most? What changes do you want to see?
Personally I'd like to see these things:
Those are the things I can think off the top of my head that in my opinon, really need to change. There are probably more that I can't think of at this moment for whatever reason.
- Reform and higher standards set in our public education systems, along with higher success/graduation rates.
- Legalization of same sex marriage in every state and US territory.
- Tax Cuts and Tax Breaks for the middle class, the backbone of the economy, rather than just the big businesses and corporations.
- Lobbyists and special interest groups ousted of our state governments, and the officials/career politicians they supported with them.
- Net Neutrality to be protected and secured.
- Bring the troops home, and let the Iraqi's protect their own home with their own military, and then start the gradual withdrawl from Afghanistan.
- The disintergration of any and all strong religious influence in the government, positions of power, and in schools.
- Standards and pre-requisites to be set to be eligible for abortion. Irresponsibility and immaturity cannot be an excuse anymore.
- Equal salary ratios for men and women.
- Greater environmental standards, acts, and laws, and for them to be enforced. Both on the public, and large industry that pollutes.
So what matters to you? What do you want to change? Even if you can't vote because you aren't old enough, go ahead and respond. The changes will effect all of us.
If you are going to bash the system, or the US or just deconstructively criticize everything, I ask that you just don't post. I'm not looking for a flame war to start.