AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Warning: Romance Anime Rant

Junior Member RideTheWalrus will become famous soon enough RideTheWalrus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-07-2008 08:56 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Warning: Romance Anime Rant

Romance anime, when done well, is probably my favorite genre of anime. Unfortunately finding a good romance is extremely rare.

I wonder sometimes; somewhere along the way did the people who write these plots just stop caring? Take Ah! My Goddess for example. The first few episodes were focused on their developing romance and their unique situation. The show had potential! Unfortunately it goes downhill once Skuld arrives. From that moment on the anime shifts focus away from romantic comedy and warps into something more like a sitcom. Pretty much every single romantic moment they have is interupted by skuld, marller attacks, or urd screws something up.

Mamotte Shugogetten is another example of this, the first episode had potential, then suddenly 4-5 other extremely annoying characters come into play. There's like three guys who constantly break into his house and try to propose to Shao. They literally consume every moment from there onward.

Another thing I find annoying is anime like Love Hina and Girls Bravo. Why take the wimpiest most mediocre guys imaginable, and place them in a situation where they're continuously beat up by the girls around them. Is that comedy? Did I miss the punchline or something? Imagine if the main character was a woman, and they were all men beating on her. Not very funny.

The basic recipe for a good romance is to keep the character cast simple! The plot can be complex and weird, as long as you give the two main characters some alone time and don't fill the show up with annoying side characters. Follow that and you have the makings of a successful romance. Onegai Twins, Shakagan no Shana, and Midori no Hibi are good examples of this. All of them have very unique plots.
    Last edited by RideTheWalrus; 02-28-2007 at 09:22 PM.

Junior Member rastapasta is on a distinguished road rastapasta's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-08-2008 08:50 PM
    Threads

Yeah, I have to agree some.

Romance Filler Episodes are the worst...especially when theres no development what-so-ever.
    Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora has been a decent romance that i'd recommend so far.

Senior Member 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2010 11:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by rastapasta View Post
    Yeah, I have to agree some.
    Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora has been a decent romance that i'd recommend so far.
    *LOVE* Freakin *LOVE!!!*

If you want good romance, get some shoujo series too. After all, that is their trademark. ^_^

Junior Member RideTheWalrus will become famous soon enough RideTheWalrus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I'm watching Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora now, it's really weird, but keeping me entertained

Thanks for the suggestion

Senior Member Jonwolf has a reputation beyond repute Jonwolf has a reputation beyond repute Jonwolf has a reputation beyond repute Jonwolf has a reputation beyond repute Jonwolf has a reputation beyond repute Jonwolf has a reputation beyond repute Jonwolf has a reputation beyond repute Jonwolf has a reputation beyond repute Jonwolf has a reputation beyond repute Jonwolf has a reputation beyond repute Jonwolf has a reputation beyond repute Jonwolf's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-01-2007 03:19 PM
    Threads

To the Love Hina thing, I like those kind of anime. There is definatly a double standard when it comes to things like that. Guys kicking the crap of out whimpy girls, not funny in the slightest.

Now then, Girls kicking the crap out of whimpy guys, great. I feel this way because I sympathise with Keitaro. I am so far away from anything that could be considered a "top canditate" relationship-wise. I'm weak, weird, overly-introspective, and am just a rather akward person. Girls seem to take to me only as a friend and somehow end up using me as a punching bag. ((I managed to find an oddball like me, which is something I wish I could see more of. The guy getting someone on his own level, insted of a goddess, but i digress))

Thus, I love these anime. An anime where you can identify with the main character is the best kind. Plus they win in the end. It's what everyone wants.

And now the world is mine Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye has a reputation beyond repute Jagan Eye's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Xmas Tree
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2013 08:30 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Jonwolf View Post
    To the Love Hina thing, I like those kind of anime. There is definatly a double standard when it comes to things like that. Guys kicking the crap of out whimpy girls, not funny in the slightest.

Now then, Girls kicking the crap out of whimpy guys, great. I feel this way because I sympathise with Keitaro. I am so far away from anything that could be considered a "top canditate" relationship-wise. I'm weak, weird, overly-introspective, and am just a rather akward person. Girls seem to take to me only as a friend and somehow end up using me as a punching bag. ((I managed to find an oddball like me, which is something I wish I could see more of. The guy getting someone on his own level, insted of a goddess, but i digress))

Thus, I love these anime. An anime where you can identify with the main character is the best kind. Plus they win in the end. It's what everyone wants.
    Agreed completely!!!!
    Love Hina is a romance anime/manga for those who hate romance. Funny and fun.
    But I do agree that a lot of romance stories need to do a better job so that you don't get bored by the 2nd novel.

Actually bigger than you. miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts Ceiling Cat Violin Cds
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2013 07:01 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: miniPhil

I disagree, just look at familly guy. Meg gets insulted or beaten up in nearly every episode. Its still classic comedy.

As for the topic at hand, if you want some good romance anime look up some shoujo-ai or Shōnen-ai they are always entertaining.
    Last edited by miniPhil; 03-19-2007 at 06:29 AM.
    This is a Sig. It's horribly out of date.

Senior Member sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Ariel Fox Snowman
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-05-2014 11:18 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: pppascal

^
    Really? Can we all relate to that? I don't think so. Not a lot of people can identify with Keitaro in Love Hina. Don't get me wrong here, I like this type of anime. But I disagree with you saying that many people relate to this story.

Yes, I totally agree with RidetheWalrus. With anime like Bokura Ga Ita (who throughout episodes 10-24 are utterly junk), it just doesn't have a worthy love story. I mean, there's so much potential, but it's like you said... it's like the creators just stopped caring.
    Last edited by sa5m; 03-19-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I admit I laughed the first time he walked in on them and got a knuckle sandwhich, but after that it started to get old. The beatings happened so frequently it ruined all romantic atmosphere for me. It was like they took the the same old joke and re-used it in every single episode.

If you enjoyed it more power to you though, different anime for different people.
    Last edited by RideTheWalrus; 03-24-2007 at 09:56 PM.

Junior Member Tanarus is on a distinguished road Tanarus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2007 01:00 AM
    Threads

This is something I think every time I got to Barnes & Noble and scope out the manga section. So many potentially goodies are riddled with unnecessary manga-cliched characters--take Ai Yori Aoshi. I read the first one, and I was seriously pumped, and thinking 'wow, this could be a sweet, possibly gentle love story! (with boobs, for whatever reason. Lotsa fanservice.)' However, right off the bat, annoying people live with them in their new setting and everyone loves the male protagonist, or whatever. They just get in the way. Add that to poor supporting character development and you have a really crappy harem manga. Annoying. Oh, so annoying.

About Love Hina - Yeah, say what you want about it being a love story... but it's a harem manga. A pitiful male protagonist surrounded by women who somehow always end up at least partially nekkid? That's Harem. Same thing with Girls Bravo.

A great example of a love story worth a watch (or read) is Suzuka. No unnecessary, intruding supporting cast. Just one young man struggling to understand a girl, and making understandable and realistic mistakes along the way.

But yeah, the 'comic relief' people in these romances are annoying to say the least, but I think that's the point. It lets the manga/anime run on longer by delaying the inevitable.
    You can't see beyond the blood on my hands,
    To see that you've been aptly damned
    To fail again and again.
    'Cause we're all guilty of the same things,
    We think the thoughts whether or not we see them through.
    And I know that I have been forgiven,
    And I just hope you can forgive me too.

Stick Master unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-12-2010 02:51 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by RideTheWalrus View Post
    Take Ah! My Goddess for example. The first few episodes were focused on their developing romance and their unique situation. The show had potential! Unfortunately it goes downhill once Skuld arrives.
    I didn't read the rest because I considered it a spoiler, but I totally agree with you on the Ah! My goddess thing, I haven't watched s2 yet, but s1 pissed me off a great deal. I think they were trying to make it so they'd never have a chance together, to drag it on longer, but it made it too redundant.

Get crazy with the cheezwiz

[I like cookies & beer]

The Rocker Witch Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2008 12:51 PM
    Threads

Reasons why I haven't seen Love Hina complete are listed above. And thank God, I'm waaay to picky for romance stories (I'm more of a dramatic/tragedy type lol), but it's true, almost all the things that try to be 'romance' are cliche. The little I've seen about Paradise Kiss seems promising (but, again, pure romance it's not my thing xD).
    Last edited by Antares; 04-10-2007 at 10:50 PM.
    The Member Formerly Known as ~*Haru*~

[ This is my World, and you can't Join it ]
    Inhumane and Beautiful

You're a 90's kid when...
    You know that, before SpongeBob, the Snorkels inhabited the bottom of the Sea.

[~Set done by Megami~]

Junior Member allan01 has a spectacular aura about allan01 has a spectacular aura about allan01 has a spectacular aura about allan01's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-11-2007 12:01 AM
    Threads

Talking

same here,
    and for the record i love "Love Hina" cause its the anime that got me back into it .

I will admit Ah! My Goddess dragged on for abit but the movie was alright (still love the series but no idea why)

Closed Thread

Thread Information