Genre: Comedy, Drama, Psychological, Supernatural
Original Run: July 8, 2011 – December 23, 2011
Studio: Brain's Base
Directed by: Kunihiko Ikuhara
Produced by: Hiro Haruyama, Shinichi Ikeda
Written by: Kunihiko Ikuhara, Takayo Ikami
Music by: Yukari Hashimoto

Plot synopsis/summary
A ill girl named Himari Takakura is saved from death by a strange spirit who lives in a penguin-shaped hat. For rescuing her and keeping here alive however the spirit want Himari's brothers, Kanba and Shouma, to search for an item called "Penguin Drum", they get a strange trio of Penguins as assistance.

Story (9/10)
As I started watching Mawaru Penguindrum I thought it might be just a little bit too weird to get the serious parts to grab you as intensive as in Top-Drama Animes but right from the start the Anime showed me that I was wrong. They've done a great job at keeping the Fun and Drama parts separate even if it changes rapidly the Story keeps up a natural flow. The story takes its time for every moment without stretching. And it even got some pretty surprising and interesting Plot-Twist's to it! I watched a lot of Anime's in my life, as many of you did, but I have rarely seen a story get that well executed as this one, see it for yourself. They managed to keep the Story interesting from Start to End without even drooping the curve once.

Characters (9/10)
The Characters are unique and surprising free of Cliché's. As in all Animes there are some, but not enough to even talk about it. They managed to keep all Characters as sympathetic as possible and they all have a very deep aspect to them. The individual Story's are fitting perfect, the presentation is just amazing and you constantly want to learn more about every character.

Art/Animation (10/10)
I hate to give 10/10 points! For me is 9/10 something like "One of the most perfectly executed tasks I have seen in an anime so far" and 10/10 is REALLY hard to get from me. The reason I'm giving 10/10 here is because of its Originality. The Art-Style is unique and it got a lot of very deep thought worked into it! The presentation of the World/Places, Side-Characters, Expressions etc. all got an unique idea behind it! For example:

The way they presented the crowd on the streets around the main Characters. At first it feels a little bit weird but after 1-2 Episodes you noticed that they put some deep thought into this! Not only does it make easier to concentrate on the main character, it's also designed to make you think about some things that you never really thought about before. The Art and Animation is just Amazing and I don't really know an anime I can compare this to.

Voice acting, Music (8/10)
I think Music is one of the most important parts of an Anime, cause music creates the atmosphere for every scene! The music is really good, as is the voice acting. Especially the first Opening still rings in my ears!

Overall (9/10)
I'm a very critical person! I don't easily give 9/10 and it is really hard to impress me, especially because I saw (Like most of you) such an incredible amount of different Anime's. But still, Mawaru Penguindrum really did impress me and I can honestly say that it is really rare to get an presentation (In all aspect's) in this quality!
I think every Animefan should at least give it a try, you will be amazed!