AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Video games, too addictive?

LOVE glue gunnin Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-17-2010 12:46 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: EWW THE WEE

Default Video games, too addictive?

(This happened awhile ago and I'm not sure it if was discussed.)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4137782.stm

"A South Korean man has died after reportedly playing an online computer game for 50 hours with few breaks."

Also, there was another one with EverQuest, I believe. However, I could be wrong. Anyway!

Simple question to ask: Can video games become too addictive?

I believe that they can, most evidence is from the above article. Of course, it's the players choice on how to construct their life. But it is possible to lose track of time, forget to do things and put things off because you're "too busy" with your game.

Online games like World of Warcraft, EverQuest and Starcraft require a lot of game-time play and because it's online and thusly connected to other users, it's harder to do things that require groups of people and thusly, you may wait around or take out time from your daily life to do these things. I'm not saying that every user does this, but a lot do and usually it's not a big deal. I've stopped for a few hours to play WoW before, or forgot to do something because of it. However, I'd never let myself get to the point where I don't notice the world around me.

Over all, there are plenty of stories about gamers who have, in turn, have major problems as a result of doing something with a video game.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3441237.stm
    "A boy who spent an entire day kneeling down playing computer games needed hospital treatment for a blood clot in his leg. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4072704.stm
    "A Shanghai online gamer has been given a suspended death sentence for killing a fellow gamer."

None of these are "all gamers", saying that all gamers do this or will be this way. Things like this could happen for any reason. But are video games becoming too dangerous, too addictive?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4273125.stm
    Last edited by Kristen; 09-13-2006 at 09:35 AM.

i won't tell you that i love you
    K I S S OR H U G YOU
    cuz i'm bluffin with my muffin
    i'm not lyin', i'm just stunnin with my
    LOVE glue gunnin
    can't read my POKER FACE

This title does nothing. Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Gifts 133 - Eevee 025 - Pikachu Dice
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-08-2010 03:23 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by idoll famine
    (
    "A South Korean man has died after reportedly playing an online computer game for 50 hours with few breaks."
    I think i\I heard something similar to that. A young boy died after about 50 hours of Starcraft. He died and they though he passed out from exhaustion, so they left him alone for another 3 hours Apparrently Koreans discovered starcraft. Haha...a bit late.

I wish i could play 50 hours in a row. But I gotta eat now and then. Im skinny enough as I am. 120 lbs at 5 ft 9 inches. (I believe that is majorly underweight?)

I think 18 hours of play is enough for a single day. You can't be that addicted can you? No, wait, I take that back. I've seen enough crazy things online.

This signature contains nothing.

Nothing last updated:
    March Nothing, '09

natural tomboy red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2007 08:12 AM
    Threads

Addiction is a sad thing, and yet it can happen to anything. The main problem -aside from lack of self control- is that games have little to no breaks. TV for example has comercial blocks. While annoying, they do make people leave the couch and get something to eat or drink.

Online games especially, have the tendency to make people forget about the world around them. This is because of the reward system. Every time you are at the verge of stopping, there is always a quest to complete, always level to be gained or a better item to get. How often did I not hear or say the words 'aw comon, just one more level' or 'aw comon, just one more game'

Ultimately, it boils down to the self control of the person in question, though. It is his decision wether to continue or to stop.
    RPG bios (click for more info):

boopaloop! Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-05-2010 07:24 PM
    Threads

I could never have that problem and die from gaming too much. I know my limits, when I'm hungry and my butt is numb from sitting too long. As addictive as a game might be, my longest sessions go from 8-10 hours. Usually not though, I have other things to do, I'm a busy guy.

face·less –adjective 2.lacking personal distinction or identity

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2008 12:30 PM
    Threads

Strangely, this wasn't even the first time this has happened. I recall 3 separate instances where a Korean person died from playing Starcraft too long in an Internet cafe. They didn't learn from the previous examples or anything.

All I can say is.. It's not that video games are too addictive. It's that Starcraft kills Koreans.

Animepedia.com -- Part of the Anime Globe network.
    Come share your wealth of anime knowledge with the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jack of Blades~ View Post
    Because evaporation is a ninja ...so you can't see it =o
    You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

LOVE glue gunnin Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Regex
    All I can say is.. It's not that video games are too addictive. It's that Starcraft kills Koreans.
    x___x lmaaaaao.

;x I don't understand how people can not have enough control over themself to realize that maybe.. they are hungry? Or are thirsty? It's not something I can fathom having an issue with.

K I S S OR H U G YOU
    LOVE glue gunnin
    can't read my POKER FACE

Moderator Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Gurren Kamina Glasses Umbrella Beer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-17-2010 08:34 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Strangely, this wasn't even the first time this has happened. I recall 3 separate instances where a Korean person died from playing Starcraft too long in an Internet cafe. They didn't learn from the previous examples or anything.

True story.
    That was pretty funny. x]

But seriously, we all have our times when we play non-stop.
    I'm looking in your direction, WoW players. Many of whom only stop because their family, friends, boyfriends, and girlfriends insist on bugging them...
    The game has a patch for people to order pizza from their computers... In game. Does this help show addiction much?

Even I had my times like that. I'd sit and play a Sonic or Mario game all the way through. You had to if you didn't have the codes back then. Before level and file saves were common place. Hell, I remember when I played Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time for five hours one day. My mom still teases me about that. She asked if I wanted to go out somewhere, or out side. I said no. If I was tired, I said no. If I wanted food, I said no still. I mean, hey I didn't want any of those things. I was playing as Link in 3D, and back in the late 90s, I needed no such things to keep me going after I had that.

These days of course, I keep food handy for my long gaming sessions. Halo 2 online, Burnout 3 or Burnout Revenge. Or if I set aside a good portion of my life to play Ninja Gaiden on a high difficulty. And I don't spend all my time playing video games anymore. I can't, I have work and school, among other things. I'm busy. But I do still enjoy playing games online and offline on my XBox and like Pangya online, on my computer-- especially with other members of this site.

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2008 12:30 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kishiro
    True story.
    I'm looking in your direction, WoW players. Many of whom only stop because their family, friends, boyfriends, and girlfriends insist on bugging them...
    The game has a patch for people to order pizza from their computers... In game. Does this help show addiction much?
    I'll have you know, that's EQ. WoW encourages you to log off for a bit by offering "rested experience" which doubles your earned XP for a period of time..
    .. Not that people actually do, mind you.

Actually, most people I know who played WoW in the serious guilds (with me), they eventually quit when they realized the addiction, and they effect that it had on their lives.
    Myself, I didn't quit, I just cut back considerably. I don't let myself get into a guild where they require scheduled playing time, and insist you play at least 30 hours a week.

Animepedia.com -- Part of the Anime Globe network.
    Come share your wealth of anime knowledge with the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jack of Blades~ View Post
    Because evaporation is a ninja ...so you can't see it =o
    You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

Moderator Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'll have you know, that's EQ. WoW encourages you to log off for a bit by offering "rested experience" which doubles your earned XP for a period of time..
    .. Not that people actually do, mind you.

Actually, most people I know who played WoW in the serious guilds (with me), they eventually quit when they realized the addiction, and they effect that it had on their lives.
    Myself, I didn't quit, I just cut back considerably. I don't let myself get into a guild where they require scheduled playing time, and insist you play at least 30 hours a week.
    That sounds more like a cult, man. >_>

Any possible truth in that assumption of mine?

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

Games? Addictive? Never.
    OMG!!! MY EVERQUEST CHARACTER DIED!!!!!!!
    -kills self-

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

True story.
    That was pretty funny. x]

As a WoW player, I can honestly say I've never sat in front of WoW long enough to feel like I was going die from it. If I'm hungry and can wait, then I will. Only if it isn't a big deal, however. But if I'm starving, big deal or not, I'll stop and go get food. Personally, I don't eat much, so it's important when I do. Also, I wouldn't let it get in the way of my personal life [often]. Things need to come in turns, if it's urgent what you need, then I'll stop. If not, oh well.

I think PANGYA is due for some critisizing. There have been many times when my significant other is playing Pangya and ignoring me. It's become a cult-ish thing now. People have it in their signatures and whatnot. It's crazy. ;x

My brother has actually been playing EverQuest for many years now and I can honestly say that he has skipped out activities to play EQ. He really likes the game, this I can understand. But he's put hundreds upon hundreds of dollars into it and hundreds of hours over the years, it's ridiculous. There have also been times of family occasions and he's missed them due to EQ. That should never happen.

K I S S OR H U G YOU
    LOVE glue gunnin
    can't read my POKER FACE

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

As a WoW player, I can honestly say I've never sat in front of WoW long enough to feel like I was going die from it. If I'm hungry and can wait, then I will. Only if it isn't a big deal, however. But if I'm starving, big deal or not, I'll stop and go get food. Personally, I don't eat much, so it's important when I do. Also, I wouldn't let it get in the way of my personal life [often]. Things need to come in turns, if it's urgent what you need, then I'll stop. If not, oh well.

I think PANGYA is due for some critisizing. There have been many times when my significant other is playing Pangya and ignoring me. It's become a cult-ish thing now. People have it in their signatures and whatnot. It's crazy. ;x

My brother has actually been playing EverQuest for many years now and I can honestly say that he has skipped out activities to play EQ. He really likes the game, this I can understand. But he's put hundreds upon hundreds of dollars into it and hundreds of hours over the years, it's ridiculous. There have also been times of family occasions and he's missed them due to EQ. That should never happen.
    Pangya is tuns of fun. But you burn out on it pretty quick. After a few rounds, the feeling is "No more! x_X", especially if you are playing in a full room. Playing with friends helps move it along, because usually your friends (or at least mine) are pretty good at it, and can finish a hole rather quickly. When you play with low level (or just bad people, or a hard course) people, the game drags on because of long it takes everyone to Hole Out, or give up.

And I'm sure your significant other never intentionally ignored you. Just like I'm sure you don't intentionally ignore him when you play WoW (At least I hope not! The poor guy, if you do. x3). Pangya doesn't take up the whole screen, just a attention. He probably doesn't see the IM flashing all the time.

But this isn't a battle of which game is more addictive, it is about humans and their addiction! Sometimes, people can get pretty bad. Back in August, I was on my way to a business meeting with my friends Aaron, Danny, & Savannah. Driving a long, I remember Aaron saying something about his laptop crashing, and my comical response was "OMG HAX". Aaron freaks and cringes for a moment, his eyes buldge, and then the car swerves and such. Aaron regains his composure and saves us from curbside doom. Savannah thereafter informed me that she made him quit playing WoW (They are engaged, so she has some sort of power, I suppose). Aaron then chastised me for using such language in his car, for it iniatiates withdrawls.

THAT, my friends, is the state of addiciton. Aaron used to play nonstop for hours up hours. We're talking 10 at least per session with pizza rolls and moutain dew stocked beside his computer.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Back in August, I was on my way to a business meeting with my friends Aaron, Danny, & Savannah. Driving a long, I remember Aaron saying something about his laptop crashing, and my comical response was "OMG HAX". Aaron freaks and cringes for a moment, his eyes buldge, and then the car swerves and such. Aaron regains his composure and saves us from curbside doom. Savannah thereafter informed me that she made him quit playing WoW (They are engaged, so she has some sort of power, I suppose). Aaron then chastised me for using such language in his car, for it iniatiates withdrawls.

THAT, my friends, is the state of addiciton. Aaron used to play nonstop for hours up hours. We're talking 10 at least per session with pizza rolls and moutain dew stocked beside his computer.
    See, that's ridiculous. Nothing should ever create that level of addiction that you actually have such an issue with it. Especially a game. They've actually had to create gamers anonymous groups and such due to the high level addiction rates to games, mostly online ones. =\ It's terrible.

(AND IT'S GOLF. Not that interesting!)

K I S S OR H U G YOU
    LOVE glue gunnin
    can't read my POKER FACE

Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 04:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I can be sort of addicted, but for me it's weird...

I have more fun playing games by myself than with people.
    since I got my new computer back in december, i've gone through 3 online games...Each lasted about 2 months before I lost interest. I played galaxies, city of heroes/villians, and WoW (WoW the most recent)
    I get addicted for the first few days, however I start to lose interest...It's like this with all MMO's for me.
    I get more addicted to single player games, and for me it's better. If I have something I have to do, I can pause the game, or save it and shut it off. With MMO's it's a pain, but not as much. I normally don't do the party thing on MMO's (The only person I ever partied with in WoW was Masali), So I could just log off when I felt like it, or stealth somewhere and do what I have to do then come back (or in the case of CoH/CoV, super jump really high up onto a building)
    So...I can get addicted, but the addiction fades over a short time (WoW only lasted about a month for me)

natural tomboy red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

That's no addiction, that's a usuall reaction to a game, online or offline. Everyone plays a game they just bought a lot in the initial month, sometimes more, after that it starts to lessen more and more.

Ninja in training sasuke-fan-1 is infamous around these parts sasuke-fan-1 is infamous around these parts sasuke-fan-1 is infamous around these parts sasuke-fan-1 is infamous around these parts sasuke-fan-1 is infamous around these parts sasuke-fan-1 is infamous around these parts sasuke-fan-1 is infamous around these parts sasuke-fan-1 is infamous around these parts sasuke-fan-1 is infamous around these parts sasuke-fan-1 is infamous around these parts sasuke-fan-1 is infamous around these parts sasuke-fan-1's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-30-2006 10:56 AM
    Threads

i can't reall say that I am addicted to anything. I get bored with things quickly.

Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 04:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by red storm
    That's no addiction, that's a usuall reaction to a game, online or offline. Everyone plays a game they just bought a lot in the initial month, sometimes more, after that it starts to lessen more and more.
    For 16 hours a day for a period of two weeks?

This title does nothing. Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Gifts 133 - Eevee 025 - Pikachu Dice
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-08-2010 03:23 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by red storm
    Usually it is online, considering most games don't take more than a week's worth of play to get everything in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Redfield22
    For me it would be... 5 hours a day for 7 and 1/2 years.

This signature contains nothing.

Nothing last updated:
    March Nothing, '09

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

See, that's ridiculous. Nothing should ever create that level of addiction that you actually have such an issue with it. Especially a game. They've actually had to create gamers anonymous groups and such due to the high level addiction rates to games, mostly online ones. =\ It's terrible.

(AND IT'S GOLF. Not that interesting!)
    It is very interesting if you actually play it. >_>

And you are right, that level of addiction is ridiculous. But it happens to a lot of people the world over. They become so enveloped and trapped in the game, they care little about anything else.

This kind of reminds me of the first season of .hack//sign. Some of the people in "The World" were so involved with the game, that they treated it like they were doing business or things that were just as important as things in the real world. Now, I know that most people in WoW or EverQuest probably aren't that sickly addicted to it (although some might be close), or at least I hope not. Sure, I wouldn't want to lose my progress in any game I play, online or off, but I sure as heck wouldn't let it take precedence over my real life and much more important things.

I suppose the key thing is to make sure you don't let addicition offset your priorities.

Senior Member Plaidbutterfly will become famous soon enough Plaidbutterfly will become famous soon enough Plaidbutterfly's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-01-2006 03:27 PM
    Threads

Compared to other leisure activities - I would say the same number of flukes are there.

There are the people that play too much and ignore friends and family. There are also the people that would prefer to watch Project Runway or whatever TV is handy. Or the people that are obsessed with football and drag their families around to tailgate everywhere. Or the people that are obsessed with... et cetera et cetera et cetera.

Some people just find whatever's handy to try and fit into their personalities instead of true meaning. Shopping, sleeping around, drinking, any sort of vice you can imagine usually is what we think of first, but let's face it - Blizzard's goal is to make money, and they make money by making an enjoyable game, and with the goal of making people keep playing. World of Warcraft isn't a game you beat once and then wait 2 years for the sequel like say Halo. World of Warcraft is a game where you pay per month. Therefore World of Warcraft's goal is to be the most enjoyable game possible - so it's pretty natural that games might be a person's vice.

At the end of the day though it's the person's personality that does it. Games - and football and soccer and television shows and books and comics and virtually everything else we enjoy in our leisure time - are DESIGNED to be enjoyable, and to be appealing - and for you to enjoy it so much you might buy it again. If some people are so aggravated by these traits that they latch on to something so that they become addicted to the point of unhealthiness. The marketer's goal is for you to continue enjoying their product, and keep buying - people who die because of using their product is not at all their goal because it's extremely bad press.

So no, I don't think games are addictive. I don't think they'll EVER be addictive in the true, medical - chemical - sense. (We may joke about "game withdrawal" but I don't think you'll ever see an article in JAMA about it.) Anything meant to be enjoyable may just aggravate people's tendencies to become addicted to something, usually as a substitute (or in an effort) to find happiness (and failing).
    Looking for an Inu-Yasha Roleplay Board...
    Please PM me if you know of one!

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Ouch... no, that leans more towards the addictive.

Star-Crossed Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2010 04:21 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0202-0359-4623-9027

lol!!! Truth.

I guess I'll treat this problem like I treat many other ones: it totally depends on the person. Some people are insane-o and they take things to the extreme, and if theyre so addicted that it has an unhealthy affect on their life or they end up causing harm to their bodies well....thats a big issue. But it seems like online games are the main ones that cause this obsession, I dont really play online... so I dont have any experience with how addicting it can be.

oh yeah, to answer the question, no I dont think theyre too addictive, its the individuals fault.

But even when I'm way hooked on a game, I still take frequent breaks. And the obsessed period doesnt last more then a month.
    A MaruDashi Creation

The true loner 飛竜 has a reputation beyond repute 飛竜 has a reputation beyond repute 飛竜 has a reputation beyond repute 飛竜 has a reputation beyond repute 飛竜 has a reputation beyond repute 飛竜 has a reputation beyond repute 飛竜 has a reputation beyond repute 飛竜 has a reputation beyond repute 飛竜 has a reputation beyond repute 飛竜 has a reputation beyond repute 飛竜 has a reputation beyond repute 飛竜's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-13-2007 11:27 PM
    Threads

Many people who are game fans were very addictive to any games however, can affect to your brain. I did checked on other forums about rumors quite many times.

"Ore horo yatsu wa chigau ze!" - Sasuke

Junior Member forever_fallen is infamous around these parts forever_fallen is infamous around these parts forever_fallen's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-16-2006 08:26 PM
    Threads

No Leave the videos games out of this witch hunt

Love is ever lasting... woogy has much to be proud of woogy has much to be proud of woogy has much to be proud of woogy has much to be proud of woogy has much to be proud of woogy has much to be proud of woogy has much to be proud of woogy has much to be proud of woogy's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-07-2009 12:33 PM
    The Darkest Corner of Hell......so don't come visit.
    Threads

I can be sort of addicted, but for me it's weird...

I have more fun playing games by myself than with people.
    since I got my new computer back in december, i've gone through 3 online games...Each lasted about 2 months before I lost interest. I played galaxies, city of heroes/villians, and WoW (WoW the most recent)
    I get addicted for the first few days, however I start to lose interest...It's like this with all MMO's for me.
    I get more addicted to single player games, and for me it's better. If I have something I have to do, I can pause the game, or save it and shut it off. With MMO's it's a pain, but not as much. I normally don't do the party thing on MMO's (The only person I ever partied with in WoW was Masali), So I could just log off when I felt like it, or stealth somewhere and do what I have to do then come back (or in the case of CoH/CoV, super jump really high up onto a building)
    So...I can get addicted, but the addiction fades over a short time (WoW only lasted about a month for me)
    ok me and my friends are all like that we play or join a forum for awhile then we become bored but during that period of time we cant stop. (animeforum is excluded)
    The world changed, whilst I slept soundly.

Closed Thread

Thread Information