AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is the wii underpowered?

Joker Sega saturn x is a jewel in the rough Sega saturn x is a jewel in the rough Sega saturn x is a jewel in the rough Sega saturn x is a jewel in the rough Sega saturn x's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-08-2006 05:09 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Is the wii underpowered?

http://media.games.ign.com/articles/...d_1657122.html

I'm going to go ahead and say yes the wii is underpowered compared to the others. Now to be fair I'm sure Bwii and strikers 2 will be crazy fun. But that means I can pretty much forget about multisystem ports like assaisins creed despite the fact the controller would rock with it. It's a shame I would rather spend the extra 100$ to see the wii brought up to around the 360 or ps3.

So far red steel is the best looking wii game (graphically, game play wise it looks crappy). so for fun I'm going to put it to the test against mass effect and awesome looking bioware game that might push me to buy a 360 come 07(if it's better than kotor of course).

Star-Crossed Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2010 04:21 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0202-0359-4623-9027

As a next gen console I'd say yes, especially when put up next to the 360 and ps3. I do wish Nintendo would have put more effort into making it more powerful, especially since consoles are only released once every... what several years? what I'm saying is its going to be stuck with this same hardware for a long time, I hope it doesnt hold it back too much.
    A MaruDashi Creation

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2008 12:30 PM
    Threads

Nintendo did say that they were going a different route from the other systems.

They aren't focusing as much on making it look pretty, so they can focus more on making it feel pretty. Opening doors to better gameplay and more intuitive controls, and not limiting it to games that offer eye candy alone.

Animepedia.com -- Part of the Anime Globe network.
    Come share your wealth of anime knowledge with the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jack of Blades~ View Post
    Because evaporation is a ninja ...so you can't see it =o
    You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

Will Skeith take over? Skeith/Haseo Wave is just really nice Skeith/Haseo Wave is just really nice Skeith/Haseo Wave is just really nice Skeith/Haseo Wave is just really nice Skeith/Haseo Wave's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-01-2007 07:39 PM
    Threads

I say the Wii has a lot of potential. Though, it will take some time getting used to remote as a controller,.....then again, it wont, since I use a TV remote everyday. I'll still feel better using the GC controller, even if the joystick breaks after a month....

Joker Sega saturn x is a jewel in the rough Sega saturn x is a jewel in the rough Sega saturn x is a jewel in the rough Sega saturn x is a jewel in the rough Sega saturn x's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Regex
    Nintendo did say that they were going a different route from the other systems.

They aren't focusing as much on making it look pretty, so they can focus more on making it feel pretty. Opening doors to better gameplay and more intuitive controls, and not limiting it to games that offer eye candy alone.
    The point I'm trying to make is if the wii is powerful enough to handle early multiplatform releases I see this becoming EXACTLY like before. With the ps2 and x box getting most of the support and the cube getting left overs and an exclusive now and then which will eventually get a port. And why can't a game look AND play well?
    Last edited by Sega saturn x; 09-05-2006 at 02:33 PM.

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Sega saturn x
    The point I'm trying to make is if the wii is powerful enough to handle early multiplatform releases I see this becoming EXACTLY like before. With the ps2 and x box getting most of the support and the cube getting left overs and an exclusive now and then which will eventually get a port. And why can't a game look AND play well?
    The PS2 was the weak boy in the last generation, and it did well.

You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The PS2 was the weak boy in the last generation, and it did well.
    You missed my point, again. The cube was segragated for a different reason last gen but the wii is being cut out again thanks to a lack of horse power. Different reasons but it may lead to the same end result. Also the ps2 was the leading system the cube and thus far the wii (not being out and all) can't use being the leader as a crutch. Not to mention the ps2 came out a year before the other systems. The wii is coming out a year after the first console launched.
    Last edited by Sega saturn x; 09-05-2006 at 03:01 PM.

*in love with kyle busch* Music Fiend has a reputation beyond repute Music Fiend has a reputation beyond repute Music Fiend has a reputation beyond repute Music Fiend has a reputation beyond repute Music Fiend has a reputation beyond repute Music Fiend has a reputation beyond repute Music Fiend has a reputation beyond repute Music Fiend has a reputation beyond repute Music Fiend has a reputation beyond repute Music Fiend has a reputation beyond repute Music Fiend has a reputation beyond repute Music Fiend's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-17-2011 12:01 PM
    Threads

You missed my point, again. The cube was segragated for a different reason last gen but the wii is being cut out again thanks to a lack of horse power. Different reasons but it may lead to the same end result. Also the ps2 was the leading system the cube and thus far the wii (not being out and all) can't use being the leader as a crutch. Not to mention the ps2 came out a year before the other systems. The wii is coming out a year after the first console launched.
    Well, the PS2 did launch after the Dreamcast (and the Dreamcast has some pretty darn good-lookin' games - it was 128 bit, as well), but Sega got it handed to them because of the lack of quality games. The PS2 had/has no problem with that, despite it having the weakest graphics of the past console generation (Gamecube typically looks better, and, of course, Xbox looks the best with almost every title). The PS2 proves that graphics aren't all that matter; but still, graphics have to at least look have way decent, and that's the case with the Wii. Granted, Madden 07 looks like a Gamecube title on the Wii, but the new innovative controls bring something new to the table - that's what Nintendo is using to hook gamers in. The Wii should do just fine, and if it can become the "PS2" of this generation, well...watch out.

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

You're still missing the point of the mission statement Nintendo made when they announced it.

They want to revolutionize the gaming industry. They want to change it into something it hasn't exactly been to this point. They are catering to a different crowd. As such, they chose to continue their focus on affordability, and forego some of the graphical prowess many gamers think they want so badly.
    Surely you can't say that you are so blinded by graphics that those screenshots look "poor" to you. They're just not as stellar looking as some other screenshots from other systems. Nintendo is trying to be stellar in other ways, not the least of which being the motion sensitive controller.

Mostly, I look at the DS as a historical reference. The graphics seemed mediocre, and people called the touch screen a gimmick. But in the end, the PSP, with all its added functionality, has not lived up to portable gaming's standards, and the DS has exceeded everyone's expectations.
    It would appear that Nintendo is taking a similar strategy here. Judging from past successes, I certainly have high hopes. I don't think it's underpowered enough to hurt it.

You know it's true.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I highly doubt wii will be the generation leader, I'm going to bet it will break down to something like this when it's all over ps3 and 360 will be dead locked and the wii will have less but will have gained a lot of ground form it's game cube hovel. And I didn't sya the ps2 was was first I love my dreamcast and know it holds that crown. Also it didn't die because of a derth fo quality (it has lots and lots of great games) sega just didn't have the muscle to back the console. It's a shame, if they would have fixed the lousy controlelr they would have had a real winner on their hands.
    The graphics seemed mediocre
    And the 3-d on it still looks ugly for the most part (excluding great looking stuff like nsmb and say nanostray) but I love the DS because it has tons and tons of awesome 2-D games. So when you're making fantastic 2-d like yoshi island 2 or children of mana who cares how underpowered 3-D wise it really is?

But the wii isn't making great 2-d (I wish) but last gen 3-d. Like I said both games look good but red steel is hands down the best looking wii game and it looks liek a top shelp x box game. Nothing else really comes close, that said I wouldn't touch red steel with a ten foot pole. Rayman raving rabbids looks great, graphically it looks like a agme cube game but the play just looks wondeful in that rayman style.

And even if they are aiming for a different crowd, I know I wouldn't mind spening the extra 100$ or so for decent hardware. Since the wii shouldn't cost over 100$ for what your are getting as is, hell the wiimotes tech looks more impressive. Since they are trying to get the "family" crowd or what have you why not charge what you know the hardware is actually worth. I can't think of any reason short of a pack in the wii should cost over 150$.
    Last edited by Sega saturn x; 09-05-2006 at 03:38 PM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Just for the hell of it I figured I would compare metroid prime 1 to metroid prime 3.

Wow, now keep in mind that's the FIRST metroid prime on top not the sequel. I still think MP3 looks like the best prime yet (whatever that says) but come on guys.
    Last edited by Sega saturn x; 09-05-2006 at 03:53 PM.

100% Vitamin C Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-21-2008 08:57 PM
    Threads

What's the point of eye candy if the game experience is horrible? Nintendo wants to offer a new and intuitive experience; the graphics for the Wii are in no way horrible.

Anyways, graphics have absolutely nothing to do with how good a game is; look at FF7. How many fanboys of that game do we have around here? The graphics were pretty freakin' ugly; but the game was still good. The same goes for tons of other games.
    -Back! From Outer Space!-
    -Soldats Royal Family-

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I don't disagree, I don't see the Wii as being a leader here either. But ever since the N64 fiasco (if you can call it a fiasco), it has seemed like Nintendo has accepted being in a different spotlight from the competitors. Whether or not that's true, they have been successful in their own rights.

I can't think of any reason short of a pack in the wii should cost over 150$.
    Well the hardware just isn't as cheap as we'd like it to be. Manufacturing is always more expensive at first, and then goes down in costs later. Whil eI can't disagree that $150 would be a great price for it, I think the classic $200 is good, and the expected $250 isn't unreasonable.

You know it's true.

Star-Crossed Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2010 04:21 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0202-0359-4623-9027

And this is why it doesnt bother me all that much, I too feel that Nintendo will find other ways to make up for it, graphics arent the most important thing. My worry is that it will come back to bite them a few years down the road, which is something we wont find out until the time does go by.
    A MaruDashi Creation

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Answer me this why can't the games be fun AND match sony and MS visually? And no regex 250$ for what is clsoe to 6 year hardware is in no way a good deal. Hell 200 is pushing it if you ask me, since they have been selling it for what 100$ for the past 2 years? The wii is very close to the game cube spec wise it is really just an overclocked cube. And if nintendo wants to take the less powerful way into the race it could work, but don't make me pay double or near triple what the actual hardware is worth.

Boosh Master General pyrothunder336 has a reputation beyond repute pyrothunder336 has a reputation beyond repute pyrothunder336 has a reputation beyond repute pyrothunder336 has a reputation beyond repute pyrothunder336 has a reputation beyond repute pyrothunder336 has a reputation beyond repute pyrothunder336 has a reputation beyond repute pyrothunder336 has a reputation beyond repute pyrothunder336 has a reputation beyond repute pyrothunder336 has a reputation beyond repute pyrothunder336 has a reputation beyond repute pyrothunder336's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-14-2010 01:21 PM
    Threads

The point in the wii isn't for graphics. They mainly focused on good and unique gameplay. Personally I think that is what Nintendo has always done since the N64 and has done a good job with it. I think the wii could have been a bit better in the graphics display but it will be a much better gaming experience nonetheless.

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Answer me this why can't the games be fun AND match sony and MS visually? And no regex 250$ for what is clsoe to 6 year hardware is in no way a good deal. Hell 200 is pushing it if you ask me, since they have been selling it for what 100$ for the past 2 years? The wii is very close to the game cube spec wise it is really just an overclocked cube. And if nintendo wants to take the less powerful way into the race it could work, but don't make me pay double or near triple what the actual hardware is worth.
    It would cost more than that for a PC with comparable ability. The hardware just isn't as cheap as you think it is.

You know it's true.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

It would cost more than that for a PC with comparable ability. The hardware just isn't as cheap as you think it is.
    Actually it is, that's why nintendo makes pure profit on every cube sold despite it being a measly 100$, that means it costs considerably less than 100$ to produce.

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Actually it is, that's why nintendo makes pure profit on every cube sold despite it being a measly 100$, that means it costs considerably less than 100$ to produce.
    Nintendo was losing money on each unit when the Gamecube was first released at $200. It's the way manufacturing works. At first, manufacturings costs are very high, and as time goes on, the cost drops.

You know it's true.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Nintendo was losing money on each unit when the Gamecube was first released at $200. It's the way manufacturing works. At first, manufacturings costs are very high, and as time goes on, the cost drops.
    Exactly and now the wii/cube hardware is much cheaper than 200 to produce and thus shouldn't cost that much.

Moderator Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro has a reputation beyond repute Kishiro's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Gurren Kamina Glasses Umbrella Beer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-17-2010 08:34 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

So I just read this whole thread....

Saturn, I'm sorry man, but you seem like a pure graphics monger to me.
    And further more, are you serious in saying this...

Do you honestly think it costs less than 100 dollars to make a Gamecube? Now or ever?

And honestly, I don't see how you think those screen shots don't look good. To be honest, we've pretty much have pushed 3D as far as it can go with the last generation. And what the next generation is doing, and going to do, is explore and expand the depths of detail in the games. Such as proper and true to life shading, shadowing, and texturing. Fully destructable environments to the smallest detail, progressive damage, and soiling of people, clothes, and objects.

However, we've been told that the Wii is not a next gen console. It is a new gen console. They aren't shooting for the graphics and details of Prey and Half Life 2 combined, with the environmental damage of Full Auto and Red Faction added to it.

They are looking to make the gaming experience even more interactive. Not just pushing buttons. But moving your hands more, more precise movements, more control, more thinking on your part. I feel like Wii will continue on the legacy of Nintendo and Sega rather well. There is no reason not to get one just because it as powerful as the PS3 or XB360.

In the long run, I bet you get more bang for your buck with the Wii this generation.
    Actually, I can almost guarantee it.

Nerdius Maximus Gorion1928 has a spectacular aura about Gorion1928 has a spectacular aura about Gorion1928 has a spectacular aura about Gorion1928's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-07-2009 09:26 PM
    Threads

The Wii was made not to have the best grapghics, but to offer the most unique gameplay experience. It will offer unique games suited for the wacky Wiimote (yay! alliteration is fun!) And many of Nintendos legendary standbys such as Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and Mario (not even including SSM Brawl) will be coming exclusively to this system, with remade control schemes to completely alter the gameplay experience. It will also have the Virtual Console downloads, allowing you to play every game from the NES to the N64 that you loved. The 'always online' feature will give the Wii the capabilities of having the most streamlined and consistent online games. This could open up the market for new styles of MMORPGs and other online games (think Animal crossing where the town you live in is still active even when you are off. You could have friends visit and play in your own world, whenever!)

So as far as I am concerned, graphics aren't really all that important to the Wii. I think it is more based on game innovations.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

-Douglas Adams

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Saturn, I'm sorry man, but you seem like a pure graphics monger to me
    Are you really trying to say someone who loves games like king of fighters which run on 16 year old hardware and plays the saturn frequently is a "graphics monger" well that really is LOL worthy.
    Do you honestly think it costs less than 100 dollars to make a Gamecube? Now or ever?
    Yes, because it does. Find me something that says otherwise, since nintendo makes pure profit on every cube sold. IE they cost way less to make than they are selling it for.
    we've pretty much have pushed 3D as far as it can go with the last generation
    Tell that to mass effect, assasins creed, gears of war, lost planet and the many games that could have never been done on the last gen hardware without butchering them. Is it a huge leap like the ones we were use to? Not at all, but it is a leap none the less.
    They are looking to make the gaming experience even more interactive
    And that is exactly what games like mass effect are doing just in a different way. They are making an immersive world like none seen before it. Games like trauma center showcase what can be done with the wii. But I fear most comapnies will do what they did with the DS make half baked ports make them unbearably ugly and add some loust touch screen mini games.

Now the DS is one of my favorite systems ever with many fantastic games. But you can't argue that a TON of companies do exactly what I just said. And the same thing will more likely than not end up with the wii.

There is no reason not to get one just because it as powerful as the PS3 or XB360.
    Does anyone actually read all of these threads? I said the games will most likely still be a ton of fun. But it's weakness is also what's going to force me to buy another console to get the more graphic intensive games it can't handle.

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Exactly and now the wii/cube hardware is much cheaper than 200 to produce and thus shouldn't cost that much.
    That's simply not true. You're talking as if the Wii is just a Gamecube in a new box. It may not be as powerful as the other next gen consoles, but it's still all new hardware. They did what they could to keep the price affordable. Sorry, but you are just wrong on this one.

Are you really trying to say someone who loves games like king of fighters which run on 16 year old hardware and plays the saturn frequently is a "graphics monger" well that really is LOL worthy.
    Don't be foolish. You know as well as any of us that there are classic gamers who still put way too much emphasis on graphics for new systems. And you're doing just that. You're making judgements based on these screenshots.
    If you're offended... Well, fix the problem.

Believe me, the Wii can handle any of the games the other systems can. It may not look as pretty, and the developers may not release some of these games for the Wii, but it could still handle them.

You know it's true.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

but you are just wrong on this one
    Really now? Compare the specs, they are almost identicle.
    And you're doing just that
    I don't think wanting a next gen system to look next gen is really asking too much. You can give me all the "nintendo is creating their own path" stuff you like all that means to me is I have to buy a 360 to play all the games I want. It especially sucks when games could REALLY benifit from the controller.
    If you're offended... Well, fix the problem.
    What think I'm getting a great deal overpaying for old hardware? No thanks.
    Believe me, the Wii can handle any of the games the other systems can. It may not look as pretty, and the developers may not release some of these games for the Wii, but it could still handle them.
    Then it can handle them the same way the genesis handled virtua fighter 2, sure you can make the game but everything that made the game special is lost in translation.

Closed Thread

Thread Information