AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Need help ripping characters from images.

Junior Member Riotblade is on a distinguished road Riotblade's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-22-2006 01:44 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Need help ripping characters from images.

Hi all,

I need some expert advice on ripping things off of images. I'm not planning to plagiarize or anything but want to use things that are already open domain. For example, I see a Ah! my goddess wallpaper with a high quality image of belldandy. However, the image is pretty abstract so it's a little tough to get Belldandy. I was wondering what's the simplest and practical way to do this with photoshop?

Thanks

Vividly Crazy .Alumina has a reputation beyond repute .Alumina has a reputation beyond repute .Alumina has a reputation beyond repute .Alumina has a reputation beyond repute .Alumina has a reputation beyond repute .Alumina has a reputation beyond repute .Alumina has a reputation beyond repute .Alumina has a reputation beyond repute .Alumina has a reputation beyond repute .Alumina has a reputation beyond repute .Alumina has a reputation beyond repute .Alumina's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-28-2010 09:28 AM
    I'm telling you Souhi, Nessie is a tourist gag! ;___; Scotland :3
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Hmm the most simple way is to use 'magic eraser' to get away the big chunks of wallpaper bg around the image and for small spots 'background eraser'. simple..orr....you can go hunting for a render of the same image on a gfx site, they might have the same pic and someone has already abtracted it from the wallpaper.
    hope this helps.
    Sig by Me :3

[ :: Gan, Lettuce and .Alu..
    Corrupting the Masses since 2006 :: ]
    17.09.07 - Yaoi Day

Souhi - Largest Achievement Known to Man:
    Getting .Alu to watch Naruto

Senior Member _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_'s Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Sushi Tsubasa Mokona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-27-2010 01:53 PM
    Threads

what u cant use polyg lasso?
    Used to be known as cool_tria_anime.

Yoko Littner Fan Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Gifts Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-09-2014 02:44 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Oh my god, I can't stand using the polygonal lasso, it drives me insane. Instead, I use the pen tool, much more efficient, because you can correct your mistakes. Try it.

My Photography
    #JustCanteThings
    My Signature Tags
    Project Cantelope
    A Home for Manly Souls
    Dai-Gurren Dan

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2009 09:17 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Is it boring (or insane?) of me to say that I use the eraser?

Pink is the new Pooky
    Party it up in Wallpapers
    | join the AF Gaia guild!
    "Spilt coffee has a sad remembrance of old"- from a plastic bag seen on the train

musing of a mod : Illuminated Spirits : Theme: uber_pink

Senior Member aimforthetop is a jewel in the rough aimforthetop is a jewel in the rough aimforthetop is a jewel in the rough aimforthetop's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2006 05:22 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by chibi fire angel
    Hmm the most simple way is to use 'magic eraser' to get away the big chunks of wallpaper bg around the image and for small spots 'background eraser'. simple..orr....you can go hunting for a render of the same image on a gfx site, they might have the same pic and someone has already abtracted it from the wallpaper.
    hope this helps.
    what u cant use polyg lasso?
    These are the ways i would recommend
    Last edited by aimforthetop; 08-23-2006 at 12:18 AM.
    Whatever you do don't click HERE

Hallo everyone! ^_^ Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow has a reputation beyond repute Thornwillow's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-14-2013 11:22 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: thornwillow Steam ID: thornwillow

Quote Originally Posted by MistressPookyChan
    Is it boring (or insane?) of me to say that I use the eraser?
    I would have to say that it's insane! lol I use the pen tool and it's so much faster. But the fact you use the eraser Pooky is commendable. you have to have a steady hand and a lot of patience. lol

@Riotblade: I recommend you go to a few GFXer sites. Like ... ChaosGFX.com. They have some excellent tutorials on how to extract images from wallpapers and scans. Also, you could always get one of the renderer people on here to do it for you. ^_^

A lot of the members that circulate the testing thread can render stuff. PM one sometime, you'd be surprised.

-cough cough *hint*- I'm one of them .. -cough cough-

Make Wallpapers or Sigs? Check Out My Images

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2009 09:17 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Remember that renders are acceptable here! So, it is ok to post render stuff and get feedback via the AW.com thread. I consider it CG and can be wallpaper-able, so it's allowed.

I like using the eraser because it's cleaner. Remember the shift key and other shortcuts!

Pink is the new Pooky
    Party it up in Wallpapers
    | join the AF Gaia guild!
    "Spilt coffee has a sad remembrance of old"- from a plastic bag seen on the train

musing of a mod : Illuminated Spirits : Theme: uber_pink

Goddess (Mom <333) Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Dr Who Tardis Dr Who SonicScrewdriver Dr Who K9
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2011 03:24 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

I'm insane like you pooky, I use the eraser ;_; Sometimes I can't extract all at once, I have to do it in short stretches otherwise I go crazy.
    A simple kiss can warm an entire body

Senior Member Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-29-2014 01:34 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Ashminigun

*joins in the frenzy...

From my past experience, I usually use Marquee/Polygonial Lasso but that requires patience especially if your image/scan is 1200X1000 and upper.

Now, I use Pen Tool 'cause it is easier to trace image with curve and anime-like hair.

You can dig up tutorials in the net on extracting and practice a lot.

'nough said...

Senior Member ~kawaii~cherry~ has a spectacular aura about ~kawaii~cherry~ has a spectacular aura about ~kawaii~cherry~'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-20-2006 11:40 PM
    Threads

First try the magic want tool, to see if it works. Sometimes that's all you need, except with some images (usually light ones) it will erase some of the character as well. Then, you can use either the eraser- which is easy and good if you're going to 'blend' the image in, as then you can't see the bits you didn't quite erase- or the lasso tool, which is good if you hold down alt and just trace around the character- though it takes absolutely ages for a perfect extract.

OR if your feeling super lazy then just go to a graphics site like anime share or something, and download a PNG ^.~

s>-^--
    your smile like a delicate rose blossoming
    with my heart's sun growing into your love
    <3

~{ blog }~{ ccs }~{ sm }~{hp }~

Closed Thread

Thread Information