AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seeking a new series...suggestions?

Junior Member Stakhanov will become famous soon enough Stakhanov's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-21-2006 11:51 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Seeking a new series...suggestions?

Have been an avid watcher of anime for some time now, however I am sure others out there have watched much much much more than myself. However, lately when I try to find a new series to watch, I generally am quite disappointed. I thought it would be a good idea to ask others for some suggestions.

First of all I will give a quick list just off the top of my head of a few anime I have liked (in order from most liked to least liked...although I have liked them all) to give an idea of my tastes, and see where it goes from there

1) Cowboy bebop
    2) Samurai Champloo
    3) Rurouni Kenshin (OVA's being the most outstanding in this series, tho the series was good as well)
    4) Ninja Scroll (Series)
    5) Samurai Deeper Kyo
    6) Naruto (Gave up after episode 180 or so, sick of retared filler episodes...)
    7) Gundam Wing
    8) Escaflowne

The last 3 a mildly childish, and I suppose I should state that I hate childish anime, and find it to be extremely annoying (naruto and such being about my limit)

I have seen, as previously stated, many other series....such as Evangelion and Bleach...etc but never really got into a lot of them, or they just dont stick out enough to put them in this list.

So, based on my tastes, would anyone out there have any decent suggestions?

PS I am downloading Smurai 7 atm, any opinions?

Many thanks in advance!

また君たちの答えるを来て見る~!

EDIT: As i think this will prolly be one of the first suggestions, yes I have seen a little more than half of Trigun, and wasnt all that enthralled.
    Last edited by Stakhanov; 06-21-2006 at 11:18 PM.

is on the wander ^^ VARLY has much to be proud of VARLY has much to be proud of VARLY has much to be proud of VARLY has much to be proud of VARLY has much to be proud of VARLY has much to be proud of VARLY has much to be proud of VARLY has much to be proud of VARLY has much to be proud of VARLY has much to be proud of VARLY's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-27-2006 10:10 AM
    Threads

Full Metal panic + 2nd Raid (that's good ^_^)

Im an ann0ying l0ser inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-22-2006 11:31 AM
    Threads

yeah you should get SAILOR MOON

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha_lover7089
    *gouges out eyes then commits suicide*
    どこに行っても、人は人、空は空

Member kanauchiha has a spectacular aura about kanauchiha has a spectacular aura about kanauchiha's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-20-2009 01:11 PM
    Threads

well...um ... shaman king, Rave master, ghost hunt, one peice, calymore, and .hack
    you all ready have the better ones. these are the more boring ones but still kinda' interesting.

#1 Beast Master Fanwhore

100% Vitamin C Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-21-2008 08:57 PM
    Threads

Hmmm...

Helllsing - Serious and gory. Not for the light of heart or kids.

Sorcerous Stabber Orphen - It's a pretty good series; has some funny moments, but is filled to the brim with magic.

Serial Experiments Lain - Absolutely great. No way this could escape any list of great animes.

Boogiepop Phantom - With a name that hip, it's automatically cool. Seriously; it's not as good as Serial Experiments Lain, but it has bunches to offer.

FLCL - Very short, very crazy, and very wonderful. Has exceptionally fabulous music; most, or all, of which is supplied by The Pillows.

I'm bound to think of more.
    -Back! From Outer Space!-
    -Soldats Royal Family-

[K_K]'z Death Plague akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2007 06:26 PM
    Threads

I suggest Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, X, Yu Yu Hakusho and Fullmetal Alchemist. Yu Yu Hakusho probably has the most "childish" parts, but both it and FMA have very dark sides to them and if you pay attention are about a lot more that what is just on the surface. GitS: SAC and X are not childish at all in my opinion. A movie you should see is Hotaru no Haka (Grave of Fireflies). Very sad and serious, but one of the best I've seen.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

My silence could mean you are not worth the argument.

"For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Member kanauchiha has a spectacular aura about kanauchiha has a spectacular aura about kanauchiha's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-20-2009 01:11 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha_lover7089
    and you are how old? come on!

#1 Beast Master Fanwhore

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Wow, thanks for the speedy replies thus far....keep em coming :P May as well get a fairly comprehensive list so I dont find myself in a similar circumstance anytime in the near future

Oh...and movie suggestions are also very welcome (thanks for the suggestion of grave of the fireflies...I agree it was a very sad but moving movie ) i didnt include much of a list of those as I have seen a rather extensive catalogue of anime movies that I cant even begin to list without forgetting ome high quality examples, and that just wouldnt be fair! :P
    どこに行っても、人は人、空は空

:.: Cold As Ice :.: Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2007 10:00 PM
    Threads

Well, everyone likes Fullmetal Alchemist, so why don't you give that a try. It's avery dark and sad story, but it's funny.

Other ones I'd suggest are mabey Hellsing, far from childish. Theres lots of blood and viloence.......... It scares my ten year old cousin.

Azumanga Daioh is pretty good. It's a comedy but it's the only comedy I like.

I'd also say Shaman King, but since you didn't like Bleach all that much, I'm not sure you'd like it. But if you were to give Shaman King a try, I'll tell you right here that it doesn't get interesting untill episode 25. Season one is pretty much boring. Though you'd have to watch it to understand the second and third season.

Well, I hope you'll take these into mind. They're some of my faves.
    ^^

Oh and inuyasha_lover7089, he's a GUY you know. And Sailor Moon is for girls if you haven't firured that out.

Last edited by Aisu Hinate; 06-21-2006 at 11:48 PM.

The Curious Wanderer Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2010 01:05 AM
    Threads

I recommend watching Tsubasa Chronicles, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, and Chobits. ^^ you can find them on www.youtube.com

[An amazing set by KP4]

Ooo a Fan Button! =P

NICE MUSCLE! The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-02-2010 02:18 AM
    Threads

ok heres my suggestions to ya

FL/CL: it may give you a head ache first time, but trust me, its the shizzle

Excel Saga: alot like FL/CL only a tad crazier

Azumanga Daioh: another crazy comedy, its very interesting

Neon Genesis Evangelion: ok, youve seen it allready, but give it another shot, it is an excellent anime

Macross: A great mecha anime from the 80's, in my own opinion, better than gundam

Remie.Remmerz.Rum Remie-chan has a reputation beyond repute Remie-chan has a reputation beyond repute Remie-chan has a reputation beyond repute Remie-chan has a reputation beyond repute Remie-chan has a reputation beyond repute Remie-chan has a reputation beyond repute Remie-chan has a reputation beyond repute Remie-chan has a reputation beyond repute Remie-chan has a reputation beyond repute Remie-chan has a reputation beyond repute Remie-chan has a reputation beyond repute Remie-chan's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-12-2007 10:01 AM
    Threads

Hmm....By the list of what anime you've seen, I recommand Bleach and Saiyuki. Both are a great series so far(to me). But Bleach hasn't been licensed to America, so you'd have to download that...As of Saiyuki, it's licensed. =]
    Set created by moi. <3
    Character: Akira
    Series: Air Gear
    Photography = LOVE. <3

Anbu the Assassin chuunin7 has a reputation beyond repute chuunin7 has a reputation beyond repute chuunin7 has a reputation beyond repute chuunin7 has a reputation beyond repute chuunin7 has a reputation beyond repute chuunin7 has a reputation beyond repute chuunin7 has a reputation beyond repute chuunin7 has a reputation beyond repute chuunin7 has a reputation beyond repute chuunin7 has a reputation beyond repute chuunin7 has a reputation beyond repute chuunin7's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-01-2009 12:34 PM
    Threads

Trinity Blood, Gakuen Heaven, Loveless, Sukishyo (This is not new), Prince of tennis, Ouran High School Host Club, Rozen Maiden, XXX Holic.. I can't think more.. Hope this is helping you.. ^^;

Once could be a fluke and twice a coincidence, but thrice proves it's a real ability.

natural tomboy red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2007 08:12 AM
    Threads

I only have one sugestion: Utawarerumono. Search it, watch it, love it.
    RPG bios (click for more info):

Sailor Soldier animeangellover is infamous around these parts animeangellover is infamous around these parts animeangellover is infamous around these parts animeangellover is infamous around these parts animeangellover is infamous around these parts animeangellover is infamous around these parts animeangellover is infamous around these parts animeangellover is infamous around these parts animeangellover is infamous around these parts animeangellover is infamous around these parts animeangellover is infamous around these parts animeangellover's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-04-2006 02:27 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by kanauchiha
    and you are how old? come on!
    the series is rated 13 and up

:.: Cold As Ice :.: Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2007 10:00 PM
    Threads

Chh.... that doesn't mean older peeps like it. Sure, girls like it, but thats still from when they were little. Plus, it's so damn girly I can't even watch it.
    I can't imagine A GUY trying to watch it.

Plus one of my freinds used to watch it andn she said it got stupid after awhile because Sailor Moon just kept beating the bad guys over again.

Member Anagoth9 will become famous soon enough Anagoth9's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-06-2007 03:12 PM
    Threads

In short...
    Princess Mononoke: Kid with demon powers and a girlfriend raised by wolves save the forest from miners who want to kill the gods. Everyone has a reason they fight.

Akira: Think Columbine, but on a city level and with psychic powers. Beautifully drawn, so much detail. Government corruption, urban revolt...everyone has to look forward to something.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Sacrifice and repentence + Massive conspiracies and the 7 deadly sins. It just keeps getting better and better. Nothing in life is free...

FLCL: The world is a confusing place when you're a kid. Especially when an alien girl hits you in the head with a bass guitar and robots come out. 6 eps on a 26 ep budget.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC: 1337 hax0rz pwn n00bz. In the future, hackers aren't just 35 year olds in their mother's basements, they're super cyborg cops. Can machines have souls?

Also, how much of (Bleach, Trigun, Eva) did you see? They all start slow but the shows pick up. Bleach once he goes to Soul Society. Trigun once the Gung-Ho Guns are introduced. Eva keeps getting deeper and deeper, once the existentialism and hallucinations start, it's all downhill.

PS. I've never seen them, but if you like swords, gore, and more mature themes, you may want to try "Blade of the Immortal" or "Berserk". I've only read the manga and they're really well done. All I know of the anime is that they exist.

Member sjbawpn will become famous soon enough sjbawpn will become famous soon enough sjbawpn's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-22-2006 11:35 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Stakhanov
    Have been an avid watcher of anime for some time now, however I am sure others out there have watched much much much more than myself. However, lately when I try to find a new series to watch, I generally am quite disappointed. I thought it would be a good idea to ask others for some suggestions.

First of all I will give a quick list just off the top of my head of a few anime I have liked (in order from most liked to least liked...although I have liked them all) to give an idea of my tastes, and see where it goes from there

1) Cowboy bebop
    2) Samurai Champloo
    3) Rurouni Kenshin (OVA's being the most outstanding in this series, tho the series was good as well)
    4) Ninja Scroll (Series)
    5) Samurai Deeper Kyo
    6) Naruto (Gave up after episode 180 or so, sick of retared filler episodes...)
    7) Gundam Wing
    8) Escaflowne

The last 3 a mildly childish, and I suppose I should state that I hate childish anime, and find it to be extremely annoying (naruto and such being about my limit)

I have seen, as previously stated, many other series....such as Evangelion and Bleach...etc but never really got into a lot of them, or they just dont stick out enough to put them in this list.

So, based on my tastes, would anyone out there have any decent suggestions?

PS I am downloading Smurai 7 atm, any opinions?

Many thanks in advance!

また君たちの答えるを来て見る~!

EDIT: As i think this will prolly be one of the first suggestions, yes I have seen a little more than half of Trigun, and wasnt all that enthralled.
    Based on your list, id also recommend Fullmetal alchimist. Although i agree full metal panic isnt bad, i wouldnt recommend it to you seing your not really into the commic type of anime.

From what i understand, you like (taking the cowboy bebop and the rurouni Kenshin) you like deep animes, so IF your not sensitive to extreme graphical violence, I would STRONGLY suggest Elfen Lied. As for the Samurai "historical" type. Your pretty much covered all the ones worth watching (in my opinion. (You can add Berserk to your list too. it seems like a more suited version of bleach to your taste.)

Hope that helps.
    (Id put Elfen Lied on top of that list but thats just me )
    id also add:
    -Hoshi no Koe
    -
    Saishuu Heiki Kanojo
    -Gunslinger girls
    EDIT: Personally, I never really was into NGE and mostly because of the last episodes. Sure it has some symbolism but i never though of it as a deep anime. The message is pretty explicit (meaning there arent 1000 ways of interpreting it).
    To my definition deep animes are the ones that are most opened to debate
    Last edited by sjbawpn; 07-05-2006 at 08:32 PM.

Junior Member MagesticSango is on a distinguished road MagesticSango's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-09-2006 09:37 PM
    Threads

Well........I totally love Full Metal Alchemist, but you must watch it from the begining or it can be tresconfusing. Full Metal Panic is also a good one. Inuyasha is very light and you can tune in to almost any episode and understandd the plot. As for movies, I love anything by Hayo Miazaki (pardon my spelling!), but you said that you didn't really like childish things, so be carful on what one tou watch! Steemboy is really good as well.

Junior Member MagesticSango is on a distinguished road MagesticSango's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-09-2006 09:37 PM
    Threads

ohhh! i just thought of one you might like, try out Samuri Seven

Member Anagoth9 will become famous soon enough Anagoth9's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-06-2007 03:12 PM
    Threads

Oh yeah, thought of a few more. If you only want something action oriented then skip it but if you want something out of the ordinary:

Paranoia Agent: A social scapegoat? Or a sociopathic youth? When a stressed out toy designer is attacked by a boy with a metal bat, police are skeptical. That is till he strikes again. Hallucinations and mental disorders abound. About 13 episodes, each one done differently than the last. From the director of Tokyo Godfathers.

Monster: A genius goody-goody doctor ruins his career by choosing to save the life of a small boy instead of an old influential politition. The right choices arent always easy. Especially when you find out that the kid could be the next antichrist. Time to fix things. Less about the action, more about the story. Kinda like Law and Order. Try it, you may like it.

Member Milky_4ever is on a distinguished road Milky_4ever's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-07-2006 10:54 AM
    Threads

Want an anime? Let see..
    • Trinity Blood
    • Gunslinger Girl
    • Vampire Princess Miyu
    • Rozen Maiden
    • I think Blood+ is good too.
    • Peacemaker Kurogane.
    • Mai Hime (?) I'm not really sure about this one.. Ahaha..

z0mg I am GOD [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath]'s Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Beer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-18-2009 07:44 PM
    Threads

*Saishuu Heiki Kanojo (Saikano)
    *Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
    Tenjou Tenge
    *Air
    *Shakugan No Shana
    *Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora (Hantsuki)
    Ichigo 100%
    *Fate Stay Night
    Magikano (funny as hell <3)
    Soul Link
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Mai-Hime
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
    Wind ~A Breath of Heart~

Will not give discriptions as there are too many there.

*are ones I recommend most
    [You can't spell slaughter without laughter]

[Black_Death R.I.P 20/Oct/2005]

Senior Member Beautiful_Disaster is a glorious beacon of light Beautiful_Disaster is a glorious beacon of light Beautiful_Disaster is a glorious beacon of light Beautiful_Disaster is a glorious beacon of light Beautiful_Disaster is a glorious beacon of light Beautiful_Disaster's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-24-2006 12:23 PM
    Threads

Um...i suggest Midori Days,Air,Blood+,and Ghost in the Shell
    Best Friend Forever: ~Pure Soul~
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny.Copy Bunny into your
    signature to help him on his way to world domination

Closed Thread

Thread Information