AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: American creators stop ripping off the japanese styles!

Child of the atom Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2007 03:33 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default American creators stop ripping off the japanese styles!

Now I know what you're thinking, has Tyranus finally become a flithy american hating, japan humping otaku? Is this another rant about how americans are creativley bankrupt and can only continue on by ripping off anime and such. And how the U.s comics and animation market is pure evil and lame. Well no it isn't. Sorry otaku, but it's actually about my increadible distain for american comics and animators trying to pander to these brain dead idiots.
    I can think of no better example than a comic I had the bad luck to run across, X-men Ronnin. This is easily the worst comic series I have ever read, ever. They raped the X-men story line until it startes bleeding from all ends. Let start with the wondeful art style. In an attempt to capture the otaku market the gave all the characters a face lift. Now with 100% more fan service to boot.
    Now I'll admit the X-men have had some odd costumes in the past but this was just insane. All female villains looked like they were wearing bondage gear. And I did a double take when I saw the women in braw and panties was supposed to be emma frost. Now I know Emma cloths are revealing as is but sweet jumping jesus. Gray was just as bad if not worse though.
    I could go into all the things that made no sense but I'll just stick with two. Charles x was a villain and phoenix just makes gray go super mega sayain. I was so increadibly pissed at this point I had given up all hope. Just...ugh, enough.
    The point is this was all done to try and capture the otaku market. Thankfully this clearly did awful and have since seen no more of the ronnin comics. The logic is mind shattering, they screw over long time fans and the otaku wont touch it because it's from america. AHHHHHHHHH, I just wasted 40 minutes of my life I can't get back reading that crap heap. And it looks like the new series sentinal (another x-men spin off) is very similar. *shudders*
    I love comics both american and japanese but unless you can respect the fans and not just screw everybody over DON'T MIX THEM!
    Last edited by Darth Tyranus; 05-31-2006 at 02:20 PM.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I must agree. I am not a big fan of American comics, but nonetheless, I have a tremendous amount of respect for the art styles of these comics.
    It is just people trying to make some money off the fact that Japanese animation and comics have gained popularity over the past few years. Just look at half the shows on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

boopaloop! Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated's Avatar
    Gil
    Doubtful
    Gifts Xmas Tree Toast Present
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-06-2010 11:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The art style of anime and manga originated in Japan. But that does not mean that only Japanese artists can use it. However, slapping that art style on something existing, in this case the X-Men, is not a good idea. Using it in an original series I can accept, and have seen decent and good comics done by non-Japanese artists using the anime/manga art style.

All my Let's Plays can be found here!
    Currently LPing: Rome Total War:
    Latest Update:
    Chapter 3: The Last King of Carthage.
    Start from the beginning:
    Chapter 1: Sicily Unified.

Senior Member Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-17-2011 12:14 PM
    Threads

Angry pseudo otaku's in 3...2....1...

Anyway, I couldn't agree more. Why emulate the japanese style...it's far inferior to American Style. at least americans can draw a proper nose from front angle.
    All The Ways You Wish Could Be? That's me

Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 04:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I would have to agree. I love x-men, and i havn't read it yet, but now i don't think i will... X-Men was always had a serious artstyle, this just pisses me off to be honest. I couldn't agree more.

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

I agree with Opinionated. I understand if youre Fred Galiger (however his name spelled) and want to produce an anime/manga style comic (Mega Tokyo) but crossing something like X-men and anime is just wrong...its like making Sailor Moon look like Wonder Woman....its just wrong....
    BTW Darth, could you post or link these images? Im really interested in how they redesigned the characters to look anime-isk

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2008 12:30 PM
    Threads

It's not always about just the art style. Certainly, you may have shown a poor example of this, but I'd like to contrast.

Look at the Teen Titans spinoff. Originally, the Teen Titans were a group of teen superheros, created in the standard DC style. While that was an interesting storyline they had, I felt like it was made more interesting and fun with the anime-styled television show. I think it was a better incarnation of the characters that already existed. Sure, it was clearly made to appeal to a younger crowd as well, but that's not always so bad (Nintendo, anyone?). They really did an excellent job mixing the serious storylines with the less serious ones, with an excellent mixing of the anime style. After the TV series, came the comic book series "Teen Titans Switched".

No, it didn't fit in with the rest of the stories, but when you look at other straight up American comics and tv shows, they rarely fit in either. A lot of the comic series', both DC and Marvel didn't match up with each other at all, and they're still respected. Just because the story is messed up doesn't make it bad.

Animepedia.com -- Part of the Anime Globe network.
    Come share your wealth of anime knowledge with the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jack of Blades~ View Post
    Because evaporation is a ninja ...so you can't see it =o
    You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

Senior Member Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2013 04:52 AM
    The land of hockey, beer, and a plague of corny stereotypes. Oh Canada.
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Crossing the anime style with the American X-men comics? Yikes, that just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I've always been a supporter of the X-men series, and a fan of anime, but I don't think it's a good idea to cross the two. From what you've described there Darth, it sounds like they completely reinvented the series, in every,worst possible way. I also agree with the point made by Opinionated, there have been a few very well done comics done in the anime style, but by non-Japanese artists. This whole idea just sounds like another quick way to draw in a new crowd of fans, and I doubt it will work. As anime grows in popularity around here, the media is going to try and find a way to make money off of it. Although my curiousity kind of has the better of me at the moment, so do you have any images? I'm having a hard time picturing this type of comic you described.

--------------------------------------------

Yoo Jaesuk. Korea's loveable fool.
    Awesomely in your face set by Tatty!

"“All he could have; I made him just and right, sufficient to have stood, though free to fall.” - John Milton

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The reason Comic's have switched styles almost across the board is the fact that comics themselves are all-but unprofitable. They are trying to steal the Manga-kids away from manga. It's all rather sad.

Although my curiousity kind of has the better of me at the moment, so do you have any images? I'm having a hard time picturing this type of comic you described.
    http://images.google.com/images?svnu...in&btnG=Seerch

Sorry about my search's language being set to Bork Bork Bork, but it's all I use.
    Last edited by Manhattan_Project_2000; 05-30-2006 at 10:06 PM.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Im an ann0ying l0ser inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089 inuyasha_lover7089's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-22-2006 11:31 AM
    Threads

i know american cartoons have four fingers and japanese have five like a NORMAL person and japanese guys are really hot instead of american cartoons

Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 04:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha_lover7089
    i know american cartoons have four fingers and japanese have five like a NORMAL person
    oh you are so misinformed.

Please note that spider man here has just as much detail, maybe more than most anime characters. Also note that he has, count them, five, yes five fingers on each hand for a total of 10 fingers.

The other half of your post, I can't comment on.

Senior Member Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-17-2011 12:14 PM
    Threads

i know american cartoons have four fingers and japanese have five like a NORMAL person and japanese guys are really hot instead of american cartoons
    And then there's the whole thing about anime characters looking like aborted Fetuses in terms of proportion. At least american art Looks like real people. (not true for all, on both sides).

And don't try to tell me "It's because they're asian" because that's simply not the case, I've seen my share of Asians in real life and If I saw one that looked like an anime character (excluding Gackt, TMR, etc...) I'd shoot them on sight, for the soul purpose of being an abomination.
    All The Ways You Wish Could Be? That's me

Child of the atom Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Redfield22
    oh you are so misinformed.

Please note that spider man here has just as much detail, maybe more than most anime characters. Also note that he has, count them, five, yes five fingers on each hand for a total of 10 fingers.

The other half of your post, I can't comment on.
    Quoted for truth, 90% of U.s comics art blows manga out of the water.

Senior Member Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Manhatten_Project_2000
    The reason Comic's have switched styles almost across the board is the fact that comics themselves are all-but unprofitable. They are trying to steal the Manga-kids away from manga. It's all rather sad.

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...in&btnG=Seerch

Sorry about my search's language being set to Bork Bork Bork, but it's all I use.
    Thanks MP2K, I can see very clearly why Darth Tyranus hates this series so much. The art style is terrible. That combined with the ridiculous characters and storyline that he described, adds up to one crappy comic book series. Still, not all attempts at non-Japanese anime style comics have been failures. This is just one extreme case the way I see it.

"“All he could have; I made him just and right, sufficient to have stood, though free to fall.” - John Milton

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying pull your head out of your colon before attempting it. I'm reading the ultimates Vs. X-men story arc in ultimate X-men right now, and THAT's how you make a comic.

natural tomboy red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2007 08:12 AM
    Threads

I only read the New Mangaverse up to six just now. To be honest, I don't think that much negative of it. I read it, I chuckled. I don't view this as the 'next' Marvel generation, more like a sidestep.

As to the why its so different, same reason why anime that comes to America gets horribly butchered at times: cultural differences. Before they made the agreement with the artists, they decided that the only way for the comics to be any succes in Japan was to present it "from a Japanese viewpoint"

It's quite simply, really. Read it, chuckle, return to the 'normal' marvel comics.
    RPG bios (click for more info):

Is Grimbo Scythe Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-04-2010 05:06 PM
    Threads

well they ripped off of the world way back when they reformed themselves
    us ripping them off is similar
    there is something that works so why not try to emulate it
    only difference is when they copied parts of everyone elses culture they made it work

anyways
    who cares?
    i like manga more but i still enjoy american comics
    i mean jeez if your gonna get angry at everything that copies something else you should kill yourself because copy-cat is part of every human being
    its in our nature to watch for what works and to copy it
    Last edited by Grim Scythe; 06-01-2006 at 07:21 AM.
    THUG LIFE
    _(\_/)
    _(XX)
    (>_)>stupid bunny
    avatar by the uber talented Nespa

grim:

Unrelenting; rigid.Uninviting or unnerving in aspect; forbidding sinister.

Semper Fidelis

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Scythe
    well they ripped off of the world way back when they reformed themselves
    us ripping them off is similar
    there is something that works so why not try to emulate it
    only difference is when they copied parts of everyone elses culture they made it work

anyways
    who cares?
    i like manga more but i still enjoy american comics
    i mean jeez if your gonna get angry at everything that copies something else you should kill yourself because copy-cat is part of every human being
    its in our nature to watch for what works and to copy it
    You totally missed my point, it isn't the copying that pissed me off. It's the fact the art style WAS LAZY AND LOOKED AWFUL. And they gutted the story to make it more appealing to otaku, forge a sentinal pilot FTW?

Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Tyranus
    You totally missed my point, it isn't the copying that pissed me off. It's the fact the art style WAS LAZY AND LOOKED AWFUL. And they gutted the story to make it more appealing to otaku, forge a sentinal pilot FTW?
    Agreed. They took a gamble ( a really stupid one I might add ) and ended up with.....whatever you want to call that style of art. Instead of getting the best of both worlds, they ended up with that warped up piece of garbage. And like what was said, if the storyline was as bad as Darth Tyranus made it it out to be, then it isn't worth the paper it was printed on, to put it nicely.

Member Anagoth9 will become famous soon enough Anagoth9's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-06-2007 03:12 PM
    Threads

why do american comic and tv people want to suddenly start making everything look like anime and manga. Simple. America is a capitalist society. No I'm not gonna start preaching communism, but it is the truth. Anime and manga are growing industries. The others...aren't. They look at statistics and say, "Hey, anime is getting popular. Anime is like, a cartoon. We draw cartoons. Let's draw anime." That's at least for the mainstream. Just remember, imitation is the highest form of flattery. Of coarse, Dante said that flattery will land you in the 8th circle of hell but, whatever.

thank ur lucky *stars* PigFarts has a reputation beyond repute PigFarts has a reputation beyond repute PigFarts has a reputation beyond repute PigFarts has a reputation beyond repute PigFarts has a reputation beyond repute PigFarts has a reputation beyond repute PigFarts has a reputation beyond repute PigFarts has a reputation beyond repute PigFarts has a reputation beyond repute PigFarts has a reputation beyond repute PigFarts has a reputation beyond repute PigFarts's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-31-2009 10:33 PM
    Threads

OK...well, American comics that are Re-Done in the anime style is ridiculous. I mean, I can understand one half of it...that maybe transforming the art into an anime/manga style might get more sales considering that anime & manga is very popular...but on existing series? I mean, they can do that if they want, but like others have said, try original stories.

An example of this (with original stories) would be LEGO, which is a European based company: http://exoforce.lego.com/default.aspx

Now, this isn't saying that only Europe is allowed to do this, no, but you see how the Exo-Force line is an original story done in the style of anime/manga? It's just to make money considering that anime & manga is becoming one of Japan's biggest exports.

I'm a Jhonen Vasquez fan! Yay for me! (http://sianach.org/jhonen)

Z?

thanks to "sleeves" @ livejournal for the avatar!

I used to be "inuyasha_rox_my_sox1089". I'm not so sure about this new name tbqh...

Closed Thread

Thread Information