AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: I am Iron Man

SPQR Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2009 08:57 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default I am Iron Man

That is meant both metaphorically and literally.

Anyhow, my unit is doing the Ironman along with ... well, every other unit on base. I was curious about making this thread but noticed a startling amount of either military, ex-military people and those into track and field and running.

While I know everything I need to know will be taught to me in the 5 months of work up training, I'm curious about a few things:

1. Who here runs marathons or has done an IronMan before?
    2. If so, do you have good tips for running? Even if you merely run on your own (and run far people, cause you can run 1mile does not make you a runner, I mean like 3+ miles here) could you give me advice for running I may not be presently aware of
    3. What are some good running shoes? I heard a lot of good things about New Balance

For anyone interested, this years Ironman is a 35km rucksack march (25lb ruck), 10km canoe portage down Ottawa river finished with an 8km run to the DDH gym finish line. Are all Ironmans different or similar to this? I think some have biking, right?

Just wondering who out there has any experience they can share

Ace of Trades Lucidian Dyne has a reputation beyond repute Lucidian Dyne has a reputation beyond repute Lucidian Dyne has a reputation beyond repute Lucidian Dyne has a reputation beyond repute Lucidian Dyne has a reputation beyond repute Lucidian Dyne has a reputation beyond repute Lucidian Dyne has a reputation beyond repute Lucidian Dyne has a reputation beyond repute Lucidian Dyne has a reputation beyond repute Lucidian Dyne has a reputation beyond repute Lucidian Dyne has a reputation beyond repute Lucidian Dyne's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-20-2007 12:28 PM
    Threads

I've been told that inhaling through your nostrils and exhaling through your mouth can help immensely. The nose has hairs and organs that can filter out waste products in the air, giving you a better supply of oxygen, which is freakin' righteous for someone who's running as much as you'll end up doing.

You'd probably know about stretching and calisthenics. That helps before a distance run, as well.
    life is an existential carousel... (journal update: dec 12 2006) //// dawnrune made my avy. he also made a sig for me, but I'm going to retire it. (looking for a replacement set! but I have no money. interested in helping? PM me.)
    ~
    has anyone seen my life? if so, report to AF's lost and found

SPQR Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Lucidian Dyne
    I've been told that inhaling through your nostrils and exhaling through your mouth can help immensely. The nose has hairs and organs that can filter out waste products in the air, giving you a better supply of oxygen, which is freakin' righteous for someone who's running as much as you'll end up doing.
    You know it's funny you mention that, cause in muay thai our khru kept telling us to do that and I never noticed a difference. But when I was running last week and I was getting winded, I began doing that and it actually gave me enough energy to complete the run and go past my previous distance by .7km

I read something also about keeping the tip of your tongue touching the roof of your mouth, something about airway or moisture or something, I'm not sure. Haven't tried it though.

Senior Member Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-03-2010 01:32 AM
    Threads

I would like to say that New Balance running shoes are great. They're very comfortable and well-built and look snazzy, too!
    This post has been approved by Dancing Alec™

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yeah, everybody tells me how good they are, and these people are regular runners so they know their shoes.. Apparently in Ottawa they got a store where they watch how you run, scan your feet on a machine to measure impact and create custom soles and everything. And now you are telling me they are great as well..

Think I'll pick up some on payday and see for myself.

Child of the atom Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2007 03:33 PM
    Threads

Hey Mr. Stark how are the avengers going these days?

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

They're a bunch of wimps who won't come with me on the ironman.

Death will come by me Toughfairy101 is infamous around these parts Toughfairy101 is infamous around these parts Toughfairy101 is infamous around these parts Toughfairy101's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-30-2006 10:55 AM
    Threads

I heard that if you breath slow you'll get less tired.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yeah, I try to inhale on the left foot and exhale four steps later on the left foot, to regulate breath and avoid side cramps.

Why don't fingers fing? Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-15-2009 01:19 AM
    Threads

About the New Balance: I wear them and I love them. HOWEVER you need to get a shoe that is fitted to you. I'd go to a running store--such as the Running Room and get them to tell you what you need.

Even if you chose New Balance, you need to know what you need. Do you need stability? Cushioning? Lightweight?

They can figure out what you need based on how you walk and run.

I really can't give you any other advice because I don't know what sort of base you have and what training you've done.

Just remember to taper though and drink lots of water.

[K_K]'z Death Plague Angel_Of_Life_And_Death is infamous around these parts Angel_Of_Life_And_Death is infamous around these parts Angel_Of_Life_And_Death is infamous around these parts Angel_Of_Life_And_Death is infamous around these parts Angel_Of_Life_And_Death is infamous around these parts Angel_Of_Life_And_Death is infamous around these parts Angel_Of_Life_And_Death is infamous around these parts Angel_Of_Life_And_Death is infamous around these parts Angel_Of_Life_And_Death is infamous around these parts Angel_Of_Life_And_Death is infamous around these parts Angel_Of_Life_And_Death is infamous around these parts Angel_Of_Life_And_Death's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-07-2006 07:44 PM
    Threads

Cat_demon and me both have done marathons. Nike is good to wear as some other brands, as long as your comtherbale(sp?). I would say cat can give better advice since she beats almost everyone in those things, you should ask her for a tip, i know she has some
    i have a bunch of red....oh how i regret stealing..

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Klutz13
    About the New Balance: I wear them and I love them. HOWEVER you need to get a shoe that is fitted to you. I'd go to a running store--such as the Running Room and get them to tell you what you need.

Even if you chose New Balance, you need to know what you need. Do you need stability? Cushioning? Lightweight?

They can figure out what you need based on how you walk and run.

I really can't give you any other advice because I don't know what sort of base you have and what training you've done.

Just remember to taper though and drink lots of water.
    Running Room, several people have mentioned that place now.. I need stability and cushioning I think, cause I keep getting shin splints and I think it's from how my feet land when I run.

As far as base, most of my training has been for short bursts like fighting. I don't really have a huge endurance base (hence my motivation to do the Ironman, to correct that through their training). I'll be training with Kettlebells as well on my own time w/ room mate, and supplementing with Xyience Xelerate energy booster, protein powder and glutamine.

More on kettlebells for those interested:

www.dragondoor.com click on Kettlebells.

Also, what do you mean by taper? Do you mean in weight or control my water intake?

Why don't fingers fing? Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-15-2009 01:19 AM
    Threads

Also, what do you mean by taper? Do you mean in weight or control my water intake?
    Tapering is when you level off your training a while before the race. Usually about two weeks. Your workouts should get less intense and should just be about maintenance and making sure your legs feel good before the big day.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Ohhhh okay, like before a fight where you stop going hard and maybe do just enough to keep you sharp, really light workouts and such, take the day off before the competition? Okay, I totally understand that, I just didn't hear it called tapering before

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Sagat
    That is meant both metaphorically and literally.

Anyhow, my unit is doing the Ironman along with ... well, every other unit on base. I was curious about making this thread but noticed a startling amount of either military, ex-military people and those into track and field and running.

While I know everything I need to know will be taught to me in the 5 months of work up training, I'm curious about a few things:

1. Who here runs marathons or has done an IronMan before?
    2. If so, do you have good tips for running? Even if you merely run on your own (and run far people, cause you can run 1mile does not make you a runner, I mean like 3+ miles here) could you give me advice for running I may not be presently aware of
    3. What are some good running shoes? I heard a lot of good things about New Balance

For anyone interested, this years Ironman is a 35km rucksack march (25lb ruck), 10km canoe portage down Ottawa river finished with an 8km run to the DDH gym finish line. Are all Ironmans different or similar to this? I think some have biking, right?

Just wondering who out there has any experience they can share
    I have never run a marathon, nor an Ironman, but I most certainly have the ability to run the marathon, but a strict running schedual based off of time rather than milage pervents this.
    For shoes, it really depends. I tend to run in lightweights (do to by build), so if you want something lightweight and flexible, I would suggest the Nike Milers, Nike Vapors, but if you are doing this on a road, go with NewBalance. I tried out the NewBalance 1024s(or was it 320s?) the other day, and they are very good.
    If you want good tips, here are some. Eat pasta or spagetti as much as possible in the nights before the run. Carbo-loading is always helpful. 9 hours of sleep or more. During the race, take water in moderation. Maybe get your first water at mile 5-7, then at 9-12, 15-16, and so on. If you have Gatorade or Powerade, drink that during the second half, seeing as that is when you will be needing to replace nutrients. Wear running shorts...the really short ones. It is embarassing, but it reduces the build up of heat, and is less weight. Wear a thin t-shirt or sleeveless shirt, preferable white, as dark color tend to attract heat. Stretch at various points during the days leading up to the Ironman, and stretch for 15-20 minutes before the race.

Good luck.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Excellent tips I've been getting so far.

Carbo loading. All those complex carbs and pasta the night before? How does that work? Won't the body just eventually convert it to fat since it wouldn't be getting used? I guess I need more elaboration on how carbo loading works.

Cute and Loveable Cat_Demon has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Demon has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Demon has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Demon has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Demon has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Demon has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Demon has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Demon has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Demon has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Demon has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Demon has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Demon's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-28-2006 05:42 PM
    Threads

ahh i cant really give you any advice since most have covered what i was going to say.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

^ Then don't post. That would be spam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagat
    Excellent tips I've been getting so far.

Carbo loading. All those complex carbs and pasta the night before? How does that work? Won't the body just eventually convert it to fat since it wouldn't be getting used? I guess I need more elaboration on how carbo loading works.
    Carbos:
    Simple carbs get burned fast, or converted to fat. For instance, sugar. Candy and soda would be examples of what simple carbs do.
    Complex carbs take time to be turned into fat, which could be a few days. Thus, they remain still in your system, and allow a greater span of time for you to use them.
    I don't really know much more about it than that.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Ohhh okay, I thought complex carbs converted to fat in like ... a few hours.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Interesting .. it makes a ton of sense. I wonder if they will do that before the event anyhow (as in, tell us to do that). Well, even if it's not taught in the lectures we'll be having as well, I'm still going to do it.

Closed Thread

Thread Information