AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Dubbed or Subtitled

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dubbed in English

24 26.37%
  • Japanese with Subtitles

67 73.63%
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Subtitled or Dubbed?

Promised Protector Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Ceiling Cat Gurren Kamina Glasses Cow
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-24-2014 05:38 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default Jenova's Witness

There is only one anime that I personally think that the English dubbing was good, and that would be the Chobits series. Other than that, I personally think that the subbing would just dominate everything. Besides I like to see what they originally said in the first place instead of editing some of the lines that they put up before. One anime that I felt so bad for when it got dubbed was the Love Hina series. Keitaro sounds even more wimpy, Naru and Kitsune has a Southern accent, it's just not right! Oh well, go subbing!

Dragon Of Earth Fuuma has a reputation beyond repute Fuuma has a reputation beyond repute Fuuma has a reputation beyond repute Fuuma has a reputation beyond repute Fuuma has a reputation beyond repute Fuuma has a reputation beyond repute Fuuma has a reputation beyond repute Fuuma has a reputation beyond repute Fuuma has a reputation beyond repute Fuuma has a reputation beyond repute Fuuma has a reputation beyond repute Fuuma's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-11-2010 03:45 PM
    Threads

I like japanese voices better with the english subtitles.

Senior Member Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Tiger Saturn Silence Glaive Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-24-2013 07:26 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: generallylame

Subtitles all the way. It should never be dubbed.
    There is no absolute right and wrong. People judge as right what they personally consider pleasant, and judge as wrong what they personally consider unpleasant. Convincing others of what is right cannot be equated with teaching the Truth. It is just teaching others to agree with you. It is not about putting an end to error, but putting an end to opinions contrary to your own perceptions.
    ~Lao Tzu

Junior Member chermie will become famous soon enough chermie's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-14-2006 02:15 AM
    Threads

Subs over dubs! Usually, anyway. Originals are good, and somehow I can't seem to get used to dubs. Maybe because I hardly watch them. I'm pretty open, though, so if a good dub was recommended I'd probably try it out, just to see how it goes.

Junior Member Sayasha is on a distinguished road Sayasha's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-13-2007 07:39 AM
    Threads

Subtitles all the way ^_^ the japanesse voices are soooooo much better than the english ones! (eg- Naruto) and sometimes i find it hard to watch the dubbed anime when there is nothing happening and you can hear the voices, but when its subbed you have the time to read what they're saying making it cooler, as my friend says "its eye excercise!" ~said while watching naruto jumping around. lol.
    I am a demon dog, not a dog demon.
    don't click this link...
    Family;
    Big Brother- Smitty

PM me if you would like to join

Member hvid_noire is infamous around these parts hvid_noire's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2007 07:37 AM
    Threads

hmmm... for me, i like the original seiyuu... one, because their voices match the characters they are portraing. second, i can learn nihonggo through listening and reading of the anime i've watched.
    I go my way, I journey on, now til forever
    With the memory of our last kiss to keep me goin'
    And though I'm alone again, I shed not a tear
    How beautiful is my loneliness, how great is my pain

LOVE glue gunnin Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-17-2010 12:46 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: EWW THE WEE

Subtitles.

When an anime gets dubbed, it's generally "fixed" to fit the public they're aiming for. Prime example is Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon. When they finally got to the S series and up, they made Haruka and Michiru COUSINS.. When in reality, they were very much lesbians. See what I'm getting at? Also, in the process of dubbing [all the] Tenchi series', they drew over the girls' bodies when they were doing springs and water scenes. This is because they weren't actually WEARING bathing suits to begin with. I didn't know this until I had seen all the series' in Japanese. Now, not all the scenes didn't have suits, but you know what I'm saying.

In some countries, dubbing is more relaxed, but in America, not so much. (Go figure) So, subtitling, because it's less likely to get screwed up and voice actors know how to act. =)

i won't tell you that i love you
    K I S S OR H U G YOU
    cuz i'm bluffin with my muffin
    i'm not lyin', i'm just stunnin with my
    LOVE glue gunnin
    can't read my POKER FACE

Junior Member Hiro Seiken is on a distinguished road Hiro Seiken's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-15-2006 12:49 AM
    Threads

I'd rather have it dubbed nicely in English, you spend most of your time staring down at the bottom of the screen when it is subtitled. I like to read and everything, but not when I could be actually watching the show that is on. Lol. Personal opinion.

-x- Hiro -x-
    -x- Through desperation, one trains to be the best... through tactic one is the best... even when they lose. -x-

Junior Member gojen is on a distinguished road gojen's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-25-2006 12:18 AM
    Threads

If your gonna watch anime in english, there's no point to watching it. Very few anime's have good voice actors. And watching anime with subtitles is part of the art.

Member blackhole1 is a splendid one to behold blackhole1 is a splendid one to behold blackhole1 is a splendid one to behold blackhole1 is a splendid one to behold blackhole1 is a splendid one to behold blackhole1 is a splendid one to behold blackhole1 is a splendid one to behold blackhole1 is a splendid one to behold blackhole1's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2007 12:16 AM
    Threads

Subbed would be a better choice.
    At least in my point of view

Junior Member Kojema is on a distinguished road Kojema's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-24-2006 12:31 PM
    Threads

I preffer sub-titles, I read it first then i watch it to make sure i didn't miss anything.

Senior Member 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2010 11:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Depends on the company cause some suck and some are really GOOD. (like ADV ^_^)

The Illusive Man Fionn Mac has a reputation beyond repute Fionn Mac has a reputation beyond repute Fionn Mac has a reputation beyond repute Fionn Mac has a reputation beyond repute Fionn Mac has a reputation beyond repute Fionn Mac has a reputation beyond repute Fionn Mac has a reputation beyond repute Fionn Mac has a reputation beyond repute Fionn Mac has a reputation beyond repute Fionn Mac has a reputation beyond repute Fionn Mac has a reputation beyond repute Fionn Mac's Avatar
    Gil
    Pensive
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2010 10:14 PM
    Threads

I don't really see that big of a deal if its dubbed. I mean if you are a truly hardcore Anime fan, and embrase the Japanese language, then more power to ya if you want it kept in Japanese.
    I like the voice actors, I am a casual Anime watcher and the Anime's I've watched (Mostly the main stream ones...(i.e.-Adult Swim ones) have had good voice actors.

So I'll take dub over sub anyday. I like my Lex Lang's and Kirby Morrow's. For me some of the japanese actors go a little overboard...especially with younger characters,...But I am not familiar with the tone and pitch of the Japanese language, so just my own preference I guess.

The Curious Wanderer Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru has a reputation beyond repute Kitanoru's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2010 01:05 AM
    Threads

I would rather prefer subtitles over dubbed versions. I find the voice sounds better, and the background music seems to be a bit better, than the dubbed versions. I like how a few of you said that western voices in some of the anime series do sound better. True, they do. However, it does not seem to have the same depth of meaning, as a subbed version does, in the original format. Because it's re-telling the story, in a far different text. The story to me seems altered in dubbed versions. So I would much rather have subbed, than dubbed, in my opinion.

[An amazing set by KP4]

Ooo a Fan Button! =P

Emperor of Shadows blackwolf16 is a splendid one to behold blackwolf16 is a splendid one to behold blackwolf16 is a splendid one to behold blackwolf16 is a splendid one to behold blackwolf16 is a splendid one to behold blackwolf16 is a splendid one to behold blackwolf16 is a splendid one to behold blackwolf16's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-05-2008 10:38 AM
    Threads

I would rather have the subtitles. If it's in subtitles I can read it and know what they are talking about. But if it's dubbed, I might not understand what the person is saying and then I'd probably be lost.

Junior Member sCWasP is on a distinguished road sCWasP's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-28-2007 06:39 PM
    Threads

By far subtitles with japanese, in my limited experience with anime, the japanese voiceacting have always been miles better than the english voiceacting, I always feel that the japanese voiceactors are able to provide more realistic voiceacting depending on the scene happening in the anime.

The Kunoichi Plushie =3 AnkoMitarashi has a reputation beyond repute AnkoMitarashi has a reputation beyond repute AnkoMitarashi has a reputation beyond repute AnkoMitarashi has a reputation beyond repute AnkoMitarashi has a reputation beyond repute AnkoMitarashi has a reputation beyond repute AnkoMitarashi has a reputation beyond repute AnkoMitarashi has a reputation beyond repute AnkoMitarashi has a reputation beyond repute AnkoMitarashi has a reputation beyond repute AnkoMitarashi has a reputation beyond repute AnkoMitarashi's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-12-2008 04:50 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: Where is that?x.x

Subtitles of course. Even though the subtitles aren't that accurate and exactly what they say but it's better than dubbed. And yes it depends on how they dubbed the anime that makes it good....so then I guess I choose both if that's what I'm talking about...ah I confuse myself. x_x
    Thanks Mira Kaiba for the super fantabulous set.
    Akito/Agito/Lind obsessed fangirl

~The God of Death~ -Shinigami- is a splendid one to behold -Shinigami- is a splendid one to behold -Shinigami- is a splendid one to behold -Shinigami- is a splendid one to behold -Shinigami- is a splendid one to behold -Shinigami- is a splendid one to behold -Shinigami- is a splendid one to behold -Shinigami-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-17-2007 05:49 AM
    Threads

I prefer subtitled to dubbed usually. I try to watch anime in subbed version first, because it's the orginal Japanese anime, and most dubbed versions (in American dub anyway) tend to cut and filter many parts of the anime. I don't really hate dubbed version that much; I mean Korean dubs aren't bad. Sometimes they really sound like the Japanese voices, and in Korea, they don't really cut that much of the anime.
    Back..

Yaoi Extremist sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2007 09:11 PM
    In a magical place where yaoi reigns supreme
    Threads

Ya japanese subbing is waaay better the english dubbing in general. But there are a few animes which i believe to be quite good like fullmetal alchemist, chobits, and trigun. But then there are ones like naruto and one piece in English that i just want to rip the voice actors from my TV and throw out them out my window and kill them D<!!!!!!! grrrrr.....
    Made by Fast as Fire
    I <3 You!

Member silly_uchiha will become famous soon enough silly_uchiha's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-25-2007 03:12 PM
    Threads

Sometimes, I wonder if people would still complain about English dubs if movie actors did the voice work.

For me, dubbed anime is way more convenient. It's on TV. No downloading involved.

Subtitles can be really annoying. I get ticked when I miss a word, because I'm focusing on the animation and I have to pause it and go back.

I like dubbed anime because I can sit on my floor and do my homework as I listen to it, or eat, or work on something else. You can't do that with subbed anime. You can never watch it casually, you have to pay attention, or you'll miss something vital.

Changes in script don't bother me, either. It's hard to translate Japanese to English, because a single word in Japanese can have multiple meanings or convey an entire English sentence.

What I hate the most is when people laugh at me because I like something dubbed, like... Naruto. I don't like all the voices or the pronunciation, but I enjoy watching it. I enjoy watching the subbed versions, too, but I don't like some of the original voices, either. I just wonder if Japanese fans get annoyed at Naruto for saying "dattebayo" all the time.

That being said, I watch & enjoy subbed anime, too. I can't imagine some anime in English!! It also helps me with my Japanese pronunciation, not to mention listening and grammar.

Closed Thread

Thread Information