AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Japanese Cartoon Triggers Seizures in Children

Junior Member Lord Sin has a little shameless behaviour in the past Lord Sin's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2006 09:41 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Japanese Cartoon Triggers Seizures in Children

Japanese cartoon triggers seizures in hundreds of children
    December 17, 1997
    Web posted at: 4:15 a.m. EST (0915 GMT)

TOKYO (CNN) -- The bright flashing lights of a popular TV cartoon became a serious matter Tuesday evening, when they triggered seizures in hundreds of Japanese children.

In a national survey, the Tokyo fire department found that at least 618 children had suffered convulsions, vomiting, irritated eyes, and other symptoms after watching "Pokemon."

Japanese television network NHK reported that 111 people were still hospitalized Wednesday morning.

TV Tokyo spokesman Hiroshi Uramato said that a later broadcast of the show scheduled for 30 other stations nationwide had been canceled, and that an investigation was under way.

"We are shocked to hear many children were taken to hospitals," Uramoto said. "We will investigate thoroughly, and consult with experts."

The show, based on characters from Nintendo's popular "Pocket Monsters" video game, is Japan's most highly-rated program in its 6:30 p.m. time slot. Tuesday's episode, "Computer Warrior Porigon," features characters fighting each other inside a computer.

TV Tokyo declined to comment on what part of the cartoon caused the seizures, but most of the children developed the symptoms about 20 minutes into the program.

News reports blamed a scene in the cartoon that featured an exploding "vaccine bomb" set off to destroy a computer virus, followed by five seconds of flashing red light in the eyes of "Pikachu," a rat-like creature that is the show's most popular character.

Some other children were stricken later, when watching excerpts from the scene in TV news reports on the earlier victims.

Dr. Yukio Fukuyama, a juvenile epilepsy expert, said that "television epilepsy" can be triggered by flashing, colorful lights. Though the phenomenon was observed before television, photosensitive epilepsy, as it is also called, has become far more common as TV has spread. The same symptoms have also been observed in children playing video games.

Fukiyama says parents should be made aware of the danger. "The networks should definitely think of issuing a health warning beforehand," he said.

Psychologist Rika Kayama, author of a book on video games and health, said that "there is the possibility of photosensitive epilepsy or group hysterics."

"The children must have been totally immersed in the program," Kayama said.

A Nintendo spokesman told Reuters that the only link between its games and the cartoons was the characters.

"We don't expect the incident will have any immediate impact on our business in the Christmas season, since the television program and game are different," the spokesman said. Nintendo's games carry a health warning.
    Old news, but still what are your thoughts about the incident?

Senior Member Darklord has a reputation beyond repute Darklord has a reputation beyond repute Darklord has a reputation beyond repute Darklord has a reputation beyond repute Darklord has a reputation beyond repute Darklord has a reputation beyond repute Darklord has a reputation beyond repute Darklord has a reputation beyond repute Darklord has a reputation beyond repute Darklord has a reputation beyond repute Darklord has a reputation beyond repute Darklord's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-06-2009 11:29 PM
    Threads

Should we really care? Since pokemon is no more famous.....I dont think I have seen that episode before.

Junior Member Lord Sin has a little shameless behaviour in the past Lord Sin's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2006 09:41 AM
    Threads

It actually is in Japan.

Senior Member lorie has a reputation beyond repute lorie has a reputation beyond repute lorie has a reputation beyond repute lorie has a reputation beyond repute lorie has a reputation beyond repute lorie has a reputation beyond repute lorie has a reputation beyond repute lorie has a reputation beyond repute lorie has a reputation beyond repute lorie has a reputation beyond repute lorie has a reputation beyond repute lorie's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2006 02:00 PM
    Threads

umm wat?
    maybe it means never let children play violent computer games or go on the comp(i know ill never let mine go on it at a young age)
    wow i never heard of this incident

grabbed the Devil's nuts. Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2006 11:46 AM
    Threads

Well, Pokemon was a very stupid show. lollll #"Pikachu," a rat-like creature#

This is one of the reasons i like Gothic anime - the pictures are darker (literally)
    I hate "robotransformer/pokemonic"-like anime. The coloring is so bad and the flash effects suck. I say they should stop relying on color flashes to make the pictures look cooler and work some more on the animation.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Oh, I remember this. It was an episode based on the Poke'mon called "Porygon"(sp?). I heard that they went inside a computer, and there were flashing lights, which caused seizures amongst children. Because of this, it was never aired again, and never shown outside of Japan. But yeah, it is really old news...almost a decade now.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

grabbed the Devil's nuts. Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom! has a reputation beyond repute Dr.McDoom!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2006 11:46 AM
    Threads

I thought that epilepsy was only a genetic disorder and chronic disease case. But, getting it instantly like that sorta makes me think..... I could get back on that weaponry ideea i was researching: a pistol-like weapon wich produces powerfull flashes to deabilitate or nervously damage an enemy. Now i can add coloured flashes for a better effect... All i need now is a 2000 Volt battery for power.

KUH-nuffle Bunny to you Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny has a reputation beyond repute Knuffle Bunny's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2013 09:29 PM
    Threads

i was watching the eppy. the other day. coures i didn't get a seizure. ( i stop teh program in time.) it was probably when pikachu was doing it's thunder attak. The bright lights on the screen. But i hear they scanned every eppy and took out the pikachu thunder scenes. And nobody really watches pokemon anymore anyways.

Siggeh made by me. Taking requests ATM! =3

To the batcave, Batman's Assistant is infamous around these parts Batman's Assistant is infamous around these parts Batman's Assistant is infamous around these parts Batman's Assistant is infamous around these parts Batman's Assistant is infamous around these parts Batman's Assistant is infamous around these parts Batman's Assistant is infamous around these parts Batman's Assistant is infamous around these parts Batman's Assistant is infamous around these parts Batman's Assistant is infamous around these parts Batman's Assistant is infamous around these parts Batman's Assistant's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-27-2007 01:23 PM
    Threads

-sighs- that is why there is the "V-CHIP" i feel bad for all those kids! -sniff-

Fast_As_Fire Fan
    Gan Fan
    Wonderwice Fan
    MaGeaX~ Fan
    jump_for_luck77 Fan

I'm sorry MsAeris Kloud_Seven has a reputation beyond repute Kloud_Seven has a reputation beyond repute Kloud_Seven has a reputation beyond repute Kloud_Seven has a reputation beyond repute Kloud_Seven has a reputation beyond repute Kloud_Seven has a reputation beyond repute Kloud_Seven has a reputation beyond repute Kloud_Seven has a reputation beyond repute Kloud_Seven has a reputation beyond repute Kloud_Seven has a reputation beyond repute Kloud_Seven has a reputation beyond repute Kloud_Seven's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2010 08:10 PM
    Threads

It might be old,but it is quite interesting.

Social expectations diminish an individual's ability to think as an individual.

boopaloop! Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated's Avatar
    Gil
    Doubtful
    Gifts Xmas Tree Toast Present
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-06-2010 11:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Moral of the story:
    DON'T LET KIDS WHO HAVE EPILEPSY WATCH BRIGHT FLASHES.
    Did the parents know their kid(s) had epilepsy?

All my Let's Plays can be found here!
    Currently LPing: Rome Total War:
    Latest Update:
    Chapter 3: The Last King of Carthage.
    Start from the beginning:
    Chapter 1: Sicily Unified.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.McDoom!
    I thought that epilepsy was only a genetic disorder and chronic disease case. But, getting it instantly like that sorta makes me think..... I could get back on that weaponry ideea i was researching: a pistol-like weapon wich produces powerfull flashes to deabilitate or nervously damage an enemy. Now i can add coloured flashes for a better effect... All i need now is a 2000 Volt battery for power.
    The flashes triggered the seizures, they can’t give some one who isn’t epileptic a seizure. Only about 1 in 5000 people suffer from Photosensitive epilepsy.

Quote Originally Posted by aYaMe5967~^_^~
    -sighs- that is why there is the "V-CHIP" i feel bad for all those kids! -sniff-
    What would the V-Chip do? It censors based on ratings, not flashing lights. Also, I'm almost positive V-Chip is American TV only, as I doubt other contries use our TV ratings.
    Last edited by Manhattan_Project_2000; 03-19-2006 at 12:14 AM.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

boopaloop! Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated's Avatar
    Gil
    Doubtful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

What I really don't understand why it was that particular episode that got all the publicity. Pikachu uses its thunderbolt at least twice an ep. No one had seizures before that?

Latest Update:

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

Well, I suppose this particular episode was on a higher level of flashes than the regular old Pikachu Thunderbolt. Oh, but I find this hilarious, in a sick and twisted sort of way. It just goes to show you that kids will have seizures over anything nowadays. Overly sensitive, this generation. I remember when you were only told once not to touch the stove, and if you were stupid enough to do it after that, they let you burn yourself. Hands on learning I say. I think these kids have learned a valuable lesson, and so had Japan networks.

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Banned Forum / Chat Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2006 04:41 PM
    Threads

Reminds me of that one Simpson episode

Gil
    Doubtful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Yeah the cartoons come on and they all go zombie like? That was funny. Then the commercial and they go back to normal.

Latest Update:

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2008 12:30 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Capernicus
    Well, I suppose this particular episode was on a higher level of flashes than the regular old Pikachu Thunderbolt. Oh, but I find this hilarious, in a sick and twisted sort of way. It just goes to show you that kids will have seizures over anything nowadays. Overly sensitive, this generation. I remember when you were only told once not to touch the stove, and if you were stupid enough to do it after that, they let you burn yourself. Hands on learning I say. I think these kids have learned a valuable lesson, and so had Japan networks.
    That's not it at all. It's not Pikachu's thunderbolt. It was a sequence with Porygon that had flashing red and yellow colors. That episode is not aired anymore because of this.

Animepedia.com -- Part of the Anime Globe network.
    Come share your wealth of anime knowledge with the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jack of Blades~ View Post
    Because evaporation is a ninja ...so you can't see it =o
    You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

♥ Red Haired Boy jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle has a reputation beyond repute jewel2sparkle's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-01-2008 06:02 PM
    Threads

They made a joke about that on the Simpsons.
    ~I'll never wish on another star again~

Just another crazy girl...
    hungry for your
    hot love

Senior Member IceDragon_1552 is on a distinguished road IceDragon_1552's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-10-2006 07:59 PM
    Threads

Yes, I saw a clip of it too (luckily, like akari, I stopped it in time). It was flashing red and blue screens, and they flashed very quick. At least 8 screens a second. Even for the half second I saw of it before I paused it, I had to take a small break from the computer.
    Pikachu was electrocuting a missle that was aimed at a porygon, I think.
    If you can read this, I have taught you how to read small and hard to see fonts. Congrats. Now give me my paycheck.

Fear this empty space which is my siggie!

Closed Thread

Thread Information