AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Op's Rules of Anime

boopaloop! Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated's Avatar
    Gil
    Doubtful
    Gifts Xmas Tree Toast Present
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-06-2010 11:57 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Op's Rules of Anime

This is just a guideline to identify good anime/manga. If you have any suggestions/comments/questions/additions, feel free to post them. NOTE: This system is not perfect and may not apply to everyone.

1: Identify the fanbase:
    What does the fanbase consist mostly of? If the fanbase is mainly rabid fans, ex. Naruto and Inuyasha, then you might wish to stay away. If the fanbase appears to be quite sane in their fan-ness, ex: Gungrave and Last Exile, then you should probably check it out.

2: Charecters:
    Arugably one of the most important parts of the list. The charecters shape the story, give it depth, and if they are done well you'll identify with them. However, if there is a multitude of charecters that do not add the story or their backstory is overshown and mainly used for filler, they are not done well. Also, if and non-central charecters that should die don't, ex: Kikyo, that is also a sign of poor charecters.

3: Art/Animation:
    Another key aspect, but remember, the best artists in the world won't always make a good show. You should never use art/animation only to justify your liking of a show. Unless you can present it in a sand and logical form, you will just look like a M.A.F.(Mindless Anime Fan)

4: Plot:
    Good plots generally come in two categories: Beautifully Simple, ex: Gungrave, or Beautifully Complex, ex: Evangelion/RahXephon. Plot that are overly simple fail to hold your interest. Plots that are overly complex make you overly confused and turn you off from the anime. Too many charecter's backstories and personal plots can make the show overly complex as well as a just plain confusing and poorly written plot. However each as a "just right" point that can make the plot worthwhile.

5: Filler, or lack thereof and Length:
    There should little to no filler except for certain situtations. Episodes for episodes sake is not a reason to create episodes. With the exception of episodes concerning a holiday, ex: Christmas or New Years, do not count as filler. Filler-less animes, ex: Gungrave and FLCL, mean the plot is well done and requires no breaks. Filler heavy animes, ex: Inuyasha and Naruto, are to be avoided. 26 thirty minute sections should be more than enough to explain the plot. Filler used to relieve tension ect. may be overlooked. Well done filler should be unidentifiable from the main storyline, ex: One Peice.

Last edited by Opinionated; 03-12-2006 at 04:12 PM.

All my Let's Plays can be found here!
    Currently LPing: Rome Total War:
    Latest Update:
    Chapter 3: The Last King of Carthage.
    Start from the beginning:
    Chapter 1: Sicily Unified.

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2008 12:30 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated
    There should be no filler. Episodes for episodes sake is not a reason to create episodes. With the exception of episodes concerning a holiday, ex: Christmas or New Years, do not count as filler. Filler-less animes, ex: Gungrave and FLCL, mean the plot is well done and requires no breaks. Filler heavy animes, ex: Inuyasha and Naruto, are to be avoided. 26 thirty minute sections should be more than enough to explain the plot.

Disagree. Filler episodes, when properly used, are good for breaking some of the tension in high-tension shows. Naruto does this the absolute worst, while I think Bleach is a good example of a show that handles it very well. All of my anime buddies actually really enjoy the Bleach fillers. They're very funny, and a fun way to ease the tension created by the rest of that particular plot arc.

Animepedia.com -- Part of the Anime Globe network.
    Come share your wealth of anime knowledge with the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jack of Blades~ View Post
    Because evaporation is a ninja ...so you can't see it =o
    You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I must agree with Member Name. I think of One Piece in this instance. Oda (the author/illustrator) has a knack with making fillers seem like they are another part of the story. If one did not read the manga, they would not be able to identify any filler in the anime.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

The Character Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-22-2007 10:12 PM
    Threads

This whole thing is stupid crap.

The only rule of anime: WATCH WHATEVER YOU LIKE NO MATTER WHO LIKES IT OR WHAT ANYBODY HAS TO SAY.

All I need is hand grenades.

Why rob a bank? Rob a drug dealer. What are they gonna do? Call the cops?

MySpace
    http://www.Otaku-Gamer.com

boopaloop! Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated's Avatar
    Gil
    Doubtful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm not talking about liking anime. I'm talking about finding good anime. Big difference. Would you like me to explain it?

Latest Update:

The Character Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-22-2007 10:12 PM
    Threads

If someone likes an anime, they consider it good anime. Your first rule is complete idiocy. Don't watch an anime alot of people like. Great idea. Lets choose what to watch out of fear of millions of other people liking it. As for your other rules, duh! Good characters and plot make anything good, genious. Watch what appeals to you. Don't base what you watch on some stupid policy you robot.

All I need is hand grenades.

Why rob a bank? Rob a drug dealer. What are they gonna do? Call the cops?

MySpace
    http://www.Otaku-Gamer.com

Gil
    Doubtful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Duggies enjoy getting high. They think its good. They're still going to die druggies.

The problem with the fanbase is that it drags you down into it. Thats just degrading. The fanbase reflects the show. The Naruto fanbase is mainly a bunch of fangirls crying about Kakashi covering his face. What does that say about it?

Rabid fans think that repetion makes something true. It doesn't. They also burn anyone who disagrees with them. Do you really want to join that? Didn't think so.

I'm not telling people how to like anime, or what they should like. I'm just doing my best to help define good animes.

Alright, if it will make you happy, I concede the point. This system is not perfect and may not apply to eveyone. Is that what you were looking for or do you want to argue more?
    Last edited by Opinionated; 03-12-2006 at 04:13 PM.

Latest Update:

Senior Member anime OG is infamous around these parts anime OG is infamous around these parts anime OG is infamous around these parts anime OG is infamous around these parts anime OG is infamous around these parts anime OG's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2007 10:30 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Zantetsuken
    This whole thing is stupid crap.

The only rule of anime: WATCH WHATEVER YOU LIKE NO MATTER WHO LIKES IT OR WHAT ANYBODY HAS TO SAY.
    I agree sorry OP!!!
    my famliy Lorie, anime 911, Guilty Gear, blackfuse81, Jiraiya, animeglobe

Senior Member anime911 is on a distinguished road anime911's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2006 09:09 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Zantetsuken
    If someone likes an anime, they consider it good anime. Your first rule is complete idiocy. Don't watch an anime alot of people like. Great idea. Lets choose what to watch out of fear of millions of other people liking it. As for your other rules, duh! Good characters and plot make anything good, genious. Watch what appeals to you. Don't base what you watch on some stupid policy you robot.
    I have to agree with you.

*~beautiful Killer~* animeglobe has a reputation beyond repute animeglobe has a reputation beyond repute animeglobe has a reputation beyond repute animeglobe has a reputation beyond repute animeglobe has a reputation beyond repute animeglobe has a reputation beyond repute animeglobe has a reputation beyond repute animeglobe has a reputation beyond repute animeglobe has a reputation beyond repute animeglobe has a reputation beyond repute animeglobe has a reputation beyond repute animeglobe's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-09-2006 06:57 PM
    Threads

This is just a guideline to identify good anime/manga. If you have any suggestions/comments/questions/additions, feel free to post them. NOTE: This system is not perfect and may not apply to everyone.

What does the fanbase consist mostly of? If the fanbase is mainly rabid fans, ex. Naruto and Inuyasha, then you might wish to stay away. If the fanbase appears to be quite sane in their fan-ness, ex: Gungrave and Last Exile, then you should probably check it out.

2: Charecters:
    Arugably one of the most important parts of the list. The charecters shape the story, give it depth, and if they are done well you'll identify with them. However, if there is a multitude of charecters that do not add the story or their backstory is overshown and mainly used for filler, they are not done well. Also, if and non-central charecters that should die don't, ex: Kikyo, that is also a sign of poor charecters.

Another key aspect, but remember, the best artists in the world won't always make a good show. You should never use art/animation only to justify your liking of a show. Unless you can present it in a sand and logical form, you will just look like a M.A.F.(Mindless Anime Fan)

Good plots generally come in two categories: Beautifully Simple, ex: Gungrave, or Beautifully Complex, ex: Evangelion/RahXephon. Plot that are overly simple fail to hold your interest. Plots that are overly complex make you overly confused and turn you off from the anime. Too many charecter's backstories and personal plots can make the show overly complex as well as a just plain confusing and poorly written plot. However each as a "just right" point that can make the plot worthwhile.

There should little to no filler except for certain situtations. Episodes for episodes sake is not a reason to create episodes. With the exception of episodes concerning a holiday, ex: Christmas or New Years, do not count as filler. Filler-less animes, ex: Gungrave and FLCL, mean the plot is well done and requires no breaks. Filler heavy animes, ex: Inuyasha and Naruto, are to be avoided. 26 thirty minute sections should be more than enough to explain the plot. Filler used to relieve tension ect. may be overlooked. Well done filler should be unidentifiable from the main storyline, ex: One Peice.

hey thanks OP..i think those should help me lil bit more!! ^^
    My Luvies

-|J.A.G|-|Gan|-|Prime|-|Damon R|-|Rina|-|Trinity|-
    -|CFA|-|wolfy|-|tehanimefreak101|-| I{/heart}you|-
    my best bff in the world wolfwood
    Do you really like me as you say you do
    Awesome set by CFA
    Primes official Stalkers <333

Wild Card! SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Fedora Cylon 1970s
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-06-2017 02:05 PM
    Threads

This is a rather interesting read. I just have a couple of comments here and there about some things.

Ammendment: Should there be no apparant fanbase for an animem then it is worth doring some digging around on the internet. You can be surprised at the large "silent fanbases" that exist. These sort of fans have a tendancy to be the most sane yet dedicated around. Some examples of these include fans of Rose of Versailles, Violinist of Hamelin and Legend of Galactic Heroes.

All these anime have very subtle yet strong and interesting fanbases who can discuss some of the most obscure yet deep and meaningful aspects of their chosen show.

An utterly pointless aspect to be looked at. Especially if you are a fan of older anime.

Is there such a thing as too complex a plot? Some of the best anime have layer upon layer of plots, with themes within themes (Utena is a classic example of that. Every time you see the series you will usually find a new meaning or something you have not seen before).

Having a giant cast of charcaters each with their own agenda can sometimes be the most deep and interesting shows. (Legend of Galactic Heroes is a classci example of this). Again, this has to be managed correctly.

What sort of filler are we talking about? If the filler serves several purpose or not. Flashback episodes are a big no-no in my book and I usually avoid them on sight. There are usually two main sorts of filler beyond that.

Character Development Filler: This sort of filler focuses on a single, usually a side character. This filler gives an opportunity for the viewer to percieve a situation from an alternative point of view. On top of this it usually allows the viewer to see another side of a usually misunderstood character. (The best example of this is episode 21 of Utena "Vermin" which focuses entirely on a lackey charcter and is one of my favourite episodes of the series).

As well as this there is the "Let's make a stop on our Journey" Filler: I personally hate this kind of filler, especially in a story with a continuous arc. It serves little purpose and tends to usually detract from the storyline.

Well that's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by SGI; 03-17-2006 at 06:58 PM.

Is Grimbo Scythe Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe has a reputation beyond repute Grim Scythe's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-04-2010 05:06 PM
    Threads

Cool hello

ok ima try not to get into an argument with you op
    what i have to say(please listen carefully) is that im a naruto fan (not fanatic, close though) and the people i know who are also fans are not these rabid people of which you speak(though ive met a few on here and i try to ignore them)(im so nice)and the people i know will actually talk with me about it and not be in complete ignorant awe of naruto
    also what do you think of fooly cooly?
    THUG LIFE
    _(\_/)
    _(XX)
    (>_)>stupid bunny
    avatar by the uber talented Nespa

grim:

Unrelenting; rigid.Uninviting or unnerving in aspect; forbidding sinister.

Semper Fidelis

Child of the atom Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2007 03:33 PM
    Threads

An utterly pointless aspect to be looked at. Especially if you are a fan of older anime.
    Like myself, I could care less how great a shows animation is it's everything else that matters.
    If someone likes an anime, they consider it good anime. Your first rule is complete idiocy. Don't watch an anime alot of people like. Great idea. Lets choose what to watch out of fear of millions of other people liking it.
    Most extremely popular shows quite frankly don't deserve their popularity, and the fans can be real snicker doodles to put it nicely. You may not agree, but it's true.

I agree with most of what you said OP, I don't agree with the examples you used for good anime but we all have different tastes in that area. And filler can be fun fluff, but if you eat to much fluff you still get a stomach ache. So I prefer if a show keeps it to a minimum. That's why macross is one fo my favorites, 36 epsidoes and 0 of them are fluff.

Wild Card! SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Fedora Cylon 1970s
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Tyranus
    That's why macross is one of my favorites, 36 epsidoes and 0 of them are fluff.
    Well technically, the last 9 episodes of Macross are basically fluff. Because the series was meant to end the series at episode 27, the entire Kamijin/Laplamiz rebellion was basically a weak excuse to add mecha to the finale of the love story.

Although it's still very minor fluff (more of a light fur coat) compared to the likes of Gundam SEED's 2 part flashback episode.
    Last edited by SGI; 03-17-2006 at 10:32 PM.

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2008 12:30 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Don SGI
    Is there such a thing as too complex a plot? Some of the best anime have layer upon layer of plots, with themes within themes (Utena is a classic example of that. Every time you see the series you will usually find a new meaning or something you have not seen before).

Having a giant cast of charcaters each with their own agenda can sometimes be the most deep and interesting shows. (Legend of Galactic Heroes is a classci example of this). Again, this has to be managed correctly.
    Utena is a classic example of too complex a plot. There's too much going on, and it makes the show overall less enjoyable. I mean, there are parts of it that I really like. But most of it is nothing short of irritating for that exact reason. A well created story will have a balanced complexity.

Animepedia.com -- Part of the Anime Globe network.
    Come share your wealth of anime knowledge with the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jack of Blades~ View Post
    Because evaporation is a ninja ...so you can't see it =o
    You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

Child of the atom Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2007 03:33 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Don SGI
    Well technically, the last 9 episodes of Macross are basically fluff. Because the series was meant to end the series at episode 27, the entire Kamijin/Laplamiz rebellion was basically a weak excuse to add mecha to the finale of the love story.

Although it's still very minor fluff (more of a light fur coat) compared to the likes of Gundam SEED's 2 part flashback episode.
    I would have never know that unless you told me, it doesn't seem like fluff. Since more happens in those 9 epsiodes than in all of inuyasha.

Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Fedora Cylon 1970s
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Member Name
    Utena is a classic example of too complex a plot. There's too much going on, and it makes the show overall less enjoyable. I mean, there are parts of it that I really like. But most of it is nothing short of irritating for that exact reason. A well created story will have a balanced complexity.
    I actually loved the complexity and bathed in its ultra deep and complex storyline like the filthy gluttonous pig that I am. Mabye it's a matter of taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Tyranus
    I would have never know that unless you told me, it doesn't seem like fluff. Since more happens in those 9 epsiodes than in all of inuyasha.
    Certainly the last portion of Macross is still good, especially when compared to the rubbish that is Inuyasha. Again I said it is minor fluff, and certainly it did hold some purpose (if only for resolution of the love triangle and to reveal more of the Zentradi heritage).

Senior Member anime OG is infamous around these parts anime OG is infamous around these parts anime OG is infamous around these parts anime OG is infamous around these parts anime OG is infamous around these parts anime OG's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2007 10:30 PM
    Threads

A yo OP easy up!!!! They are shows for everyone you just got to get out there and find your special anime!!! Member anime is entertainment too you know!!!!!!!
    my famliy Lorie, anime 911, Guilty Gear, blackfuse81, Jiraiya, animeglobe

Closed Thread

Thread Information