AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How would you rate Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll

4 2.45%

0 0%

0 0%

5 3.07%

3 1.84%

1 0.61%

10 6.13%

25 15.34%

31 19.02%

84 51.53%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [TV series/movies] Neon Genesis Evangelion

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default [TV series/movies] Neon Genesis Evangelion

Neon Genesis Evangelion [TV series]
    Evangelion: Death and Rebirth [First Feature Film]
    End of Evangelion [Second Feature Film]
    A.K.A: Evangelion

TV: 26 episodes that ran from October 4th 1995 – March 24th 1996
    Death & Rebirth: 101 minutes, 1997
    End of Evangelion: 87 minutes, July 19th, 1997
    Made by: Gainax
    Genre: Giant Robots, Sci-Fi.

Plot Synopsis: (Partially Taken from Wikipedia)
    Neon Genesis Evangelion takes place in 2015, fifteen years after the catastrophic Second Impact, reportedly caused by a meteor strike, which wiped out half of Earth's population and tilted its axis. Just as humanity is finishing its recovery from this disaster, Tokyo-3 began suffering attacks by strange monsters referred to as Angels. Conventional weapons are useless against the Angels, and the only known defense against them are the biomechanical mechas created by the paramilitary organization NERV, the Evangelions (Eva’s).
    Shinji Ikari is brought to Tokyo 3 under orders from his father Gendo Ikari, leader of NERV. Shinji has been estranged from Gendo since he was a toddler, and takes this to mean that his father wants a relationship with him, but upon arrival at NERV it becomes clear that his father summoned him purely due to his high compatibility with the Eva’s. He moves in with Captain Misato, commander of the Eva’s and extroverted alcoholic. Shinji is cowardly and unsure of himself, and intensely dislikes the responsibility of saving the world, but continues (with occasional lapses) to fight the Angels in spite of it. He is later joined by Rei Ayanami, a fragile introvert, and Asaka Langley Soryu, a conceited extrovert.

Story: (10/10)
    Evangelion is one of, if not the most complex stories in all anime. Filled with ridiculous amounts of symbolism. I can’t say enough good things about this anime. All of the characters are fully fleshed out, with loads of mental problems that really invoke the pathos. Awesome plot twists. The only problem I have with the series is that Evangelion: Death and Rebirth is essentially useless if you have the director cut of the TV series & End of Evangelion, as it is half a recap of the TV series plus a few new scenes (included in the directors cut), and the other half is the first half of End of Evangelion. It is also worth noting how cool it is to have both The Internal Ending as it is in Shinji’s mind in the TV series, and The External Ending in the real world from End of Evangelion.

Art and Animation: TV/ Death & Rebirth: (7/10), End of Evangelion: (8/10)
    While not the best I have ever seen, the animation in both series is very distinctive and clean, and the Eva and Angel designers deserve a medal.

Voice Acting [English]/Music/Sound: (9/10)
    Very Good. The acting is very believable, and the music is sort of catchy. I especially like the “Fly Me to the Moon” ending theme in the TV series. The sound is also very commendable.

Overall: (11/10)
    I don’t normally break rating systems, but if any series deserves it, it’s Evangelion. This is, hands down, the best Anime in existence. Anyone who says different is a base charlatan, and worthy only on contempt. If you could only watch one Anime, and you watched something else, I’d have to suggest you kill yourself. It’s THAT GOOD.

Neon Genesis Evangelion at AnimeGalleries.
    Last edited by MuZ0NaZ; 02-21-2006 at 01:04 PM. Reason: disserves => deserves, sorry for nitpicking.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

Story: 10/10
    I really enjoyed how developed the characters and plot were. The characters are very realistic and could possibly be real people. I also liked how it wasn't government based, but religious. Its story is very original, which is refreshing.

Animation: 7/10
    It was ok....nothing specticular........though it does improve over the series.

English Vioce Acting: 5/10
    I hated that Shinji's voice was so feminine....I understand that his character isn't strong, but he could stand to sound a bit more like a boy. I also didn't believe some of the scenes due to the voice acting...espically with Asaka and Shinji. Their conversations (at times) seemed....forced.

Overall:9/10
    It one of the best series I've seen, but it wasn't my favorite.

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Story: (10/10) Evangelion is THE anime, plain and simple. I have owned this anime for seven years, I have watched it eighteen times, and have done many, many hours of research on some of the topics in this anime. The mass symbolism of this anime is great. Evangelion has one of the most complex and attention grasping plots of almost any anime. The depth that it goes into religion and psychology just adds to the greatness of it. Also, it is great how the Mecha aspect of Evangelion is used as a cover over the deeper meanings, so it can be enjoyed by both the young and old. The ending movie, "End of Evangelion", was a masterpiece. It was a great help in making sense of what has happening inside of Shinji's head at the end of the series, as it depicted what was happening in the real world.

Art/Animation: (7.5/10) The animation is good, especially for an older mecha-style anime that was drawn by hand. If a modern anime was made with this same quality of animation, it would be rather disappointing. The style was well suited for the human characters, and allowed them to be drawn from many angles without having to slightly change the drawing style. The Evas and Angels were very well designed, and not overly-complex. They were able to have armor and weapons, and still move about properly and in a fluid way.

Audio: (9/10) I loved the opening theme, "Cruel Angel Thesis" by Megumi Hashibara, and it was a rather warm opening, considering the nature of some of the series. "Fly Me To The Moon" was a great ending, and it was rather interesting how it was slightly different at the end of each episode. The english dub was not that bad, although Shinji's voice was rather whiny, and Misato's voice was high pitched for the first few episodes. The Japanese was also decent.

Overall: (10/10) Evangelion is a must see. It has been out for rougly a decade, but if you have not seen it, do so. The English box set is rather expensive, but it is well worth the cost. Also, on the American box set, I have seen a sticker saying "The best rated anime of all time", or something along those lines, on it.
    I give it a 10 out of 10, because I cannot go any higher. It deserves to be higher.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Senior Member SpiritHunter has a spectacular aura about SpiritHunter has a spectacular aura about SpiritHunter's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-06-2007 06:19 PM
    Threads

As for me, NGE has the greatest plot of all animes i saw. It is incredible, it is awesome! After I saw NGE I was totally shocked!

Animation: 10/10
    The fights between Evangelions and Angels are magnificent!

Audio: 10/10
    Great opening and ending, and in general music is really great!

Overall:10/10
    One of my favourites... Stands near Heibane Renmei and Rahxephon.

Junior Member Ranvangelion is on a distinguished road Ranvangelion's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-04-2006 11:26 AM
    Threads

I have seen well over 200 anime series and movies and Evangelion while not my favorite is a very close #2

Story 10/10 Giant Robots fighting Angels who are also giant robots, along with fanservice. How can u go wrong? The story still holds up as one of the most original in anime. Combining Technology and Religion in a way never before seen and not yet seen again. (at least by me anyway) The only problem with this series was its original ending, which they seemingly tried to rectify in the movies. But in my opinion still fell a little short. Put together one of the greatest series ever than when u get to the end...leave a heaping pile of dung behind. The story does start to evaporate a little as every character starts to fall apart. I have watched this series at least 5 times and it gets harder to watch the people in the series disintergrate emotionally.

animation 7/10 Nothing to spectacular here. The Eva's are very nicely put together but the series does not stand out from the pack in the visual dept. Although for a tv series with the budgets and time constraints there given they did a masterful job.

Voice acting 7/10 I love this voice acting cast but u can tell ADV rushed this a little at times. The voice actors for this series were basically the entire ADV stable at the time. Tiffany Grant, Amanda Winn Lee, Tristan McCavery, and Allison Kieth are in my opinion the only voices for these characters.

Characters 10/10 although if i had wrote this after seeing it the first time they would have got a lower score cuz Asuka got on my nerves. But the more I watched the series the more I apprecited her and the rest. Misato Katsuragi is still one of my alltime favorite characters and I wish that if one person could have held it together I would have liked it to be her. All the characters feel perfect in there places. None of the characters were forced to do anything that u would think would go against there character or personality, like some other animes try to do.

Overall 10/10 This is one of the all time greats! If you have a chance to see it, you should most definately see it.

NICE MUSCLE! The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-02-2010 02:18 AM
    Threads

Story: (10/10) one of the best stories in any anime ever, i love the idea that angels are infact messengers of death and how only EVAs born from angel technology are the only wepons that can defeat them.

Animation: (10/10) great clear crisp animation, the movements of the EVAs are smooth and slick and the overall quality of the animation is to a high standard and the best aspect of the animation is the EVAs size changes to add drama to a scene wich in my eyes is revolutionary

Sound: (10/10) arguably, Zankoku na Tenshi no Te-Ze (these cruel angels) is one of the best opening themes in anime and its ending theme, the beautiful Fly Me To The Moon performed by Claire Littley (originaly the song was made by Frank Sinatra) and the music in the anime it self is breathtaking

Overall: 10/10, not one of the best mecha animes, but THE best mecha anime, Neon Genesis Evangelion as raised mecha anime to new hights, we need more revolutionary mecha animes like NGE

Senior Member Prince Sapphire has a reputation beyond repute Prince Sapphire has a reputation beyond repute Prince Sapphire has a reputation beyond repute Prince Sapphire has a reputation beyond repute Prince Sapphire has a reputation beyond repute Prince Sapphire has a reputation beyond repute Prince Sapphire has a reputation beyond repute Prince Sapphire has a reputation beyond repute Prince Sapphire has a reputation beyond repute Prince Sapphire has a reputation beyond repute Prince Sapphire has a reputation beyond repute Prince Sapphire's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-13-2010 04:12 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Story: 8/10
    A very origional and unique story line, even for a mecha anime. But strangely even though the show is set in the year 2015, the technology (aside from the Eva's) is pretty much mid-90's. It probably couldn't be helped however--after all, the makers of this show were just trying to make an anime series, not attempt to predict the future.

But nevermind that; the story of human survival in a world drastically altered from the one previously known is always interesting.

Characters: 6.5
    I have no doubt that many people will probably shoot me for saying this, but I found some of the characters to be rather annoying. Rei is a quiet girl, so she doesn't really get on your nerves. Asuka is pretty loud-mouthed, but you get used to it. But I just couldn't get used to Akari Shinji's constant whining and screaming. He has such a weak and un-likeable personality that, even if he's understandably in pain, I just couldn't give a damn about him even when I tried to.

And Misato, well...her favorite method of frustrated communication seems to be slapping people's faces. A well deserved slap once in a while can be a good thing, but I can't help but feel that it was a bit over-used in her case and made me lose any kind of sympathy I might have had for her before. Seriously, her slap could make me sympathise with the devil.

Animation/Art: 6/10
    The anime isn't exactly great by today's standards, but it would be unfair of me to compare an older anime's animation to stuff we have today. It's average to good, but where NGE loses points is with the character artwork. It just doesn't look that good in most of the scenes, and that's even by those day's standards.

Mind you, it's not horrible, but it does leave a little to be desired. But then, it could also be that I'm just spoiled by the newer anime these days, who knows.

Sound/Voice Acting: 7/10
    You will get different responses about NGE's music for each person you ask, but while most people seem to like it, I couldn't "vibe" with it. I found the intro to be boring, and the end credits was just another dull randomly generated J-Pop song.

The voice acting was okay I guess. The acting didn't feel like some cheap High School play, but at the same time...how to put it...well, it didn't make me jump out of my seat and yell "this is awesome!!!".

So for the most part, the voice acting gets the job done, and that's better than completely flubbing it. But I do have to give a big thumbs down to Shinji's constant screeching and hollering. Somehow the other Eva pilots were more behaved--even Asuka! (gasp! that IS saying something!)

Overall: 6.9/10
    I tend to review any anime harsher than most people, so I might have come off sounding like I hate Neon Genesis Evangelion in my review. But for the record, that isn't the case.

Anime can be a lot like music; a strange thing. What is absolute perfection to one person's eyes is then "meh" to another... So don't put aside the opportunity to check this show out if it looks a little interesting to you.
    To everyone I once knew: it's been fun... goodbye and good luck. ~Igor~

Senior Member Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-17-2011 12:14 PM
    Threads

Story 8/10: A very complex, In-depth, and compelling story. Why doesn't it get a 10? Simply because of the forced symbolism and inaccuracies that stick out like a soar thumb to someone (like myself) Who used to read books that go into major detail about various icons of interests towards other religion. Some of what was represented on NGE was not derived from what it was trying to represent. Meaning: "Im trying to represent 'a', but what Im using to represent 'a' actually represents 'b'" It's like they were trying way to hard.

Characters (4/10)

I absolutely hate 99.8% of the cast. Shinji's Piloting abilities mostly consist of "GET UP! MOVE! AHHHHHHHHH! SAVE MEH!" and then some kind of retarded glitch happens and his EVA (note: not him) kicks major arse. Then at the end of the day, he's listening to his ipod (probably listening to something like "Crawling" or "Im not Okay") and thinking of how worthless he is. Well, he is worthless. He only gets less worthless later in the series. Rei is tolerable, there's alot to her character and at the same time not much to her character. She has some social disorders and seems to have a fetish for the Ikari family. Misato is cool in the beginning of the series, but then becomes a major you-know-what towards the end. Gendo...where do I begin. He is my favorite character in the whole series. He's the guy who runs it all behind the scenes. He only cares about one person (rei) and puts her before his own (failure of a) son. However, He has alterior motives that screw everyone over in the end.

Sound/Voice Acting (3/10):

Music's pretty good, typical 80's J-pop/rock. Nothing special. Voice Acting...horrible. I hate everyone's voice, except for Gendo. His voice is the only one that I could stand listening to for the whole series. Rei's voice isn't quite as annoying as Shinji's. I sometimes finding myself forgetting that Shinji is a DUDE and not a woman. Asuka's voice makes me want to kill babies, eat virgins, and defactate on gravestones (in that order). It's that bad.

Art 9/10:

Everyone's going on about how the art isn't that impressive. Well, for the time it was animated (late 80's) It is DAMN impressive. Most anime from the 80's have crappy, second rate animation. The animation here is like a second rate anime NOW, which is something.

Overall (7/10):

Not the best out there, but worth a look.
    All The Ways You Wish Could Be? That's me

Junior Member sushicake7 is on a distinguished road sushicake7's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2006 08:51 PM
    Threads

story: 7.5/10
    i thought the entire story relied too much on the audience reading a summary or some sort of intro before watching it. it got to the background info way to slowly...there was no hook to trying to get me involved in shinji's situation as soon as possible. and throughout the entire thing, some things confused me...like i didn't figure out that melchior and balthasar were names of two of the magi which were the computers that made all the decisions until that episode about them. nor did i ever really figure out who lorenz really was...but otherwise, the action and the situations that all the characters faced kept me going and anticipating what was going to happen next.

characters: 10/10
    i wouldn't give it a 10 because there were some characters...like maya and the other two guys who were definately involved in the story...but i didn't know if i was supposed to care about them. gendo kinda made me mad, probably caus i think the creators did a really good job of making me alternately sympathising and just getting pissed about shinji. and judging by the other reviews, i gave it a 10 because obviously there were some people who just hated shinji. which is good because that meant he was a character that truly ellicited feelings in the audience and that he, like real people, had flaws and traits that made people want to kill him sometimes. same applies to all the other characters. sometimes i hated asuka but for the most part she's always been my favourite character. i read some like character summary about penpen somewhere that sort of made him seem more important than i thought he was...

sound/voice acting: 8/10
    i agree that asuka's voice was annoying, especially that little scene where she's running towards her mother asking her to look at her. this is just nitpicking but i did NOT believe that asuka spoke german...it sounded like she still had the jap accent. like, when i've noticed that when people--girls especially--speak chinese, their voice is higher and "sweeter" than in english. and yea, it kinda bothered me that they used a woman for shinji's voice...yoshiko (also played by a woman) in rurouni kenshin sounded more masculine. otherwise, i didn't mind all that screaming.
    usually i skip over opening songs and stop the thing before it starts playing the ending theme caus they get annoying watching episode after episode...but i didn't mind them at all.

animation: 9/10
    personally, i hate the whole big eyes, skinny necks thing, but with nge, i got that "real" people were being portrayed. like in the last two episodes with the human instrumentality program, there were a couple of shots of shinji and rei from weird angles that made them look creepy but that is such a japanese-movie thing to do...i totally got it.

overall: 10/10
    i loved it.

Junior Member Moose1015 is on a distinguished road Moose1015's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-11-2006 12:56 AM
    Threads

Story 10/10: This is an amazing story. Many people didn't like the ending, but I understood it. It was an amazing story. I've never seen anything as original as it. Best of all, the series new when to end unlike many others *coughinuyahsa*. My favorite part of the story was the use of character interaction. You got an in depth view of the characters in psyche, and thus you got to understand the characters pasts better. I also loved the use of Existentialism and the Christianity relation. It was all amazing. I think one of the major factors that seperates it from all other post-apoctolyptic anime, and makes it original, is that Tokyo-3 is a modern, clean city, not a rubled waste land like most post-apoctolyptics.

Characters 9/10: I don't know what anime everyone else is talking about, but I loved the characters. They all seemed so easy to detect in the beginning. The upbeat girl, the emo girl and guy, the serious guy, and the crazy *****y girl. But a look into their inner pshyce shows that they are all more than that. They all went through extreme circumstances that made them become what the image their character protrays is. I loved everyone except Shinji, because he seemed really whiny, but then again he had reason to.

Graphics 10/10: Like Manhattan said, these guys deserve medals for the Eva's and Angels. They are so creative. The animation was so fluid as well.

Sound/ English Voice Acting 9/10: Ok, I'm a (non-professional) voice actor so I have some major say in this. The voices were really unique. All the voices are extremely hard to do. Expecially Rei's. She has the most unique tone I've ever heard. The are all extremely good voice actors and should be praised. They may have sounded annoying, but they sounded exactly how they were supposed to sound. And Cruel Angels Thesis (Next to Tank) is the best Opening ever. Just a great song all in all. And Fly me to the Moon is amazing too.

Overall 10/10: I would definitely recommend it. It changed my life.

Junior Member Benkyo will become famous soon enough Benkyo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-27-2006 05:40 PM
    Threads

Story 10/10: I loved the story behind EVA. It focuses a lot on the growth of Shinji and the other characters (though Shinji is the main focus on the growth part), including various interactions with people, how they change the more we get to know them, and includes a lot of awesome action sequences. I do like the religious aspects tied in with the government aspects. Creates a very realistic conflict for the story. Almost forgot something else. This series really makes you think.

Characters 10/10: We really get to know the characters in this series, unlike many others I have seen. We get to see them develop as a person which is a great breath of fresh air at times. I also like how every character adds to the story.

Sound/Voice Acting 10/10: This is completely based off of the Japanese Version seeing as how I hate watching dubbed anime. You really get a feel for the characters via the voices and mannerisms carried over through their voice. I really love the opening theme, and I absolutely loved their choice for an ending theme in the movie "The End of Evangelion" mainly cause i thought it was a perfect fit for the movie and I am a huge fan of Bach.

Animation 10/10: Even though it is an older anime, the animation, in my opinion is still top notch.

Overall 10/10: I just really like this series.

Evil Sempai asian_brad is a splendid one to behold asian_brad is a splendid one to behold asian_brad is a splendid one to behold asian_brad is a splendid one to behold asian_brad is a splendid one to behold asian_brad is a splendid one to behold asian_brad is a splendid one to behold asian_brad is a splendid one to behold asian_brad's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-05-2009 02:45 AM
    Threads

Default Evil judges you, Evangelion!

Story: 8/10
    The first half of the series was really good and the giant mecha death machines helped it. But the whole emotion swings really distrubed me and I didn't watch the whole show the first swing around. But after that I watched the whole series, like I said good story...except for the emotional swings.

Animation: 7/10
    It's good for something made in the 90's, hey at least it's not Gigantor.

English Vioce Acting: 5/10
    Good, not really a problem for me, great dubbing Viz.

Overall:9/10
    My hat is off to Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, good anime... but Fooly Cooly was better yes he made that too.
    Enjoy talking about video games, RPing, or just a good laugh? Join us at Gmers Online The forum that keeps on growin!

Senior Member tobeza has much to be proud of tobeza has much to be proud of tobeza has much to be proud of tobeza has much to be proud of tobeza has much to be proud of tobeza has much to be proud of tobeza has much to be proud of tobeza has much to be proud of tobeza's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-20-2007 07:27 AM
    Threads

Story 10/10: I love the story of NGE. It is so realistic ,even there're things tht couldn't happen. There are some young kids who are growing thourghout the series and becoming more adults. Then there are some small love stories. Religion is a big part in it but it doesn't bother me much. And the ending was really great in my opinion. It was great tht they could do believable dephts to all charecters. They all seemed tht they have had life before series starts.

Charecters 10/10: Like I said above we ger to know em really well even there are a lot of charecters to get know of. It is good too that every charecter seems to have big part in the series.

Graphics 10/10: Like Manhattan & Moose said those guys who drawed em did really great job. It looks almost real. Animation is excellent too.

Sound/Voice Acting 10/10: I watched ½ episode with english voices and it felt really stupid. I stopped it and watched it again with Japanese voice acting and it felt 100 times better. I felt like I was in tht studio where they recorded their voice acting. It felt so realistic and their voices really seems to fit those charecters really well. Cruel Angel Thesis as opening theme is brilliant. I really love that song and ending theme Fly Me To Moon is really great too.

Overall 10+/10: I have to say that this deserves even better than 10+. This is the best series in the world ever made including movies.

Sig made by Riina-chan

Member Gnosis is on a distinguished road Gnosis's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-11-2009 07:55 PM
    Threads

Story, 10-
    I gave Shin Seiki Evangelion a 10, even though I think it is really a 9.9. No series can ever reach perfection, but Evangelion came pretty damn close.

Essentially, the series is about Man's quest to become God. It is mankinds struggle to reclaim Eden. I find this quest beautiful. Evangelion raises the question, "Should we follow God if He is no longer looking after our best interests?" Albiet the series never ackowledges the existence of a God, it does play with the idea.

Characters, 10-
    Besides the metaphysical aspects of the series, the characters are equally as thought provoking. Instead of having shining heroes of light, we have the mentally unstable Ikari Shinji, Langely Asuka, and Ayanami Rei. These characters make the average American character look like ****. Each one of these three are equally disturbed and uniquely troubled. Shinji is afraid of others, and because of this, hates himself, yet his fear keeps him from commiting suicide. Asuka was traumatized at a very young age, and now pretends she is such a great, cool girl to help cover the hurt she feels inside. Rei is introvert who cannot easily interact with people, and who finds her existence worthless. This makes for some of the greatest character interaction ever written.

Graphics, 10-
    I have seen greater graphics on other Anime, and for any other show these graphics would get a lower mark, but the show's graphics complement the feel of the series; That is what makes them warrant a 10.

Seiyu, 10-
    The voice acting was done superbly, and I would not want them to change any of the Seiyu. The American dub is horrible, and I cannot stand more than a few minutes of it.

Overall, 10-
    Evangelion will always have a special place in my heart, because it was the first subject materiel, that got me thinking with an open mind. I am eternally greatful to Anno-san and all of the creators, for breaking off my shackles of ignorange and dogma.

You have to be the kind of person who cares deeply for the events which cause a person to act the way they do, to fully appreciate the New Century Gospel.
    Любовь в тебе и во тне как опиум.

Senior Member zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-20-2009 01:20 PM
    Threads

Story 10/10 - has great characters and they are in thier own unique way and for me it was great to watch this...

Characters 10/10 - they were all different somehow and people could relate to some favorites of thiers...

Graphics 8/10 - mainly becuase anime is this time wasn't the greatest animating but still pretty good...

Overall 10/10 - one of the greatest anime of it's time and Iria Zeiram was the one that got me started on anime XD but this was cool down to the last detail almost...

To say is easy, To do that is hard... (Rurouni Kenshin)

Junior Member Veoryn87 has a spectacular aura about Veoryn87 has a spectacular aura about Veoryn87 has a spectacular aura about Veoryn87's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-08-2006 12:02 PM
    Threads

Story- 5 out of 10

It started out fine.... But in the end it was one of the most flawed stories I've seen. The characters were annoying and unsympathetic (Shinji is just whiny, Rei has NO personality, Asuka is a b**ch) and all the christian references and allusions seemed to be there for no reason at all when they really could have helped the story (like on Full Metal Alchemist). Besides all the psychological babble in near the end I didn't find it as complex as everybody says it is. The worst part is that it left SO many questions unanswered. It's great if an anime leaves some mysteries in the end for fans to discuss (keeps interest in the anime going even after it ends), but this show leaves out WAY too much.

Animation- 6 out of 10

The animation in the first half of the series is good, but later on it got really still. As the series went on I noticed even more still shots and some of them lasted 3 minutes or more! The last two episodes were..... Wow.... I don't know what to say about those...

Dub- 7 out of 10

The dub actually isn't that bad. It's suprising to see an anime from the 90's with a good dub. The dub isn't perfect, but it's definetly one of the good ones.

Maybe all the hype I heard about it before actually watching it affected my opinion. I don't know. All I know is I didn't think this anime was as good as many people think. It's definetly not a BAD anime, but no masterpiece either.

~The God of Death~ -Shinigami- is a splendid one to behold -Shinigami- is a splendid one to behold -Shinigami- is a splendid one to behold -Shinigami- is a splendid one to behold -Shinigami- is a splendid one to behold -Shinigami- is a splendid one to behold -Shinigami- is a splendid one to behold -Shinigami-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-17-2007 05:49 AM
    Threads

Neon Genesis Evangelion Review - By X_Shinigami

Synopsis: Hmm... anyone reading this review will probably be very familiar with the synopsis, so I'll save you some time.

Plot: (Rating: 8/10) The plot is pretty interesting, but it's not the "best", if you know what I mean. The Angels come, and the Evangelions have to fight the Angels, and etc. Still, it's not that bad, but you'll only be intrigued if you're "in" to this type of anime. Otherwise, you won't like it.

Characters: (Rating: 10/10) The characters are very well developed. You get to know each and every character very familiarly, and you'll get to know how they think, and what kind of person they are. You will not be disappointed with the characters.

Audio: (Rating 6/10) The audio wasn't that great. I mean, the BGM during the anime series. The only thing that persuades me to give the audio a "6" is the OP for this series, "A Cruel Angel's Thesis", which is a very "EXCELLENT" song.

Overall: (Rating 9/10) Despite the low score on audio, the characters and the plot are what inclines me to give this anime a rating of 9/10. This is a very interesting anime, with lots of religious references (as you probably already know). And yes, this anime is influenced a lot by psychology.

P.S. You'll probably get frustrated with the last two episodes.
    Back..

Senior Member AngelQueen17 has much to be proud of AngelQueen17 has much to be proud of AngelQueen17 has much to be proud of AngelQueen17 has much to be proud of AngelQueen17 has much to be proud of AngelQueen17 has much to be proud of AngelQueen17 has much to be proud of AngelQueen17 has much to be proud of AngelQueen17 has much to be proud of AngelQueen17 has much to be proud of AngelQueen17's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-09-2007 06:16 PM
    On a mission with Rosette and Chrono in Brooklin, defeating devils and evil guys by the Order.
    Threads

Story 8/10: The story is kind of hard to understand, but it you keep reading and watching it over and over then you will kind of get the point of the show, so they say!!

Animation 7/10: The animation is great! But not really the best!! It is kinda weird to me so..JOKING!! I love the animation of this show, I am really into it now and days. XD

Plot 10/10:Very cool!!! I love how the Evangelions fight and I just love to act it out in front of people!! It is really interesting.

Characters 10/10: Okay, love the characters!! My favorite is Asuka as you see in my avatar. I love the character's personalities because they are all like me sorta, and they are 14 years old..LIKE ME YAAYY!! (Ok.. that was SO random). The characters are easy to discover about and learn about if you like this show.

Audio 9/10: Love the voices!! (I know I love everything in Evangelion because I love it so much!!) They choose very good voice actors to act the characters out in this show. I think it a very excellent job!!

Overall 10/10: I love this show. I think it was the best anime to be ever created. It is also one of the coolest animations I have seen in anime. This anime is one of my close favortie animes!!

Awesome set made by..*points at herself with an attitude* mwah ...

Rosette
    : But poopsie, we've come all this way to Sin City, so why not sin a little? Besides how often does a girl get to where an outfit like this?
    (Chrono Crusade)

Junior Member r_a_i_n_e is on a distinguished road r_a_i_n_e's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-27-2007 10:22 AM
    Threads

Story: 9/10
    It's one of the most controversial anime there is. It tackles finding human identity through interactions with mecha creations. It has a truly original and intelligent storyline.

Characters: 9/10
    Shinji, Rei, and Asuka have become popular anime figures. These personalities were the basis for a lot of the next generation anime series that came after Evangelion.

Animation: 8/10
    Considering the time that it was created, the animation was quite good.

Music: 5/10
    I hated the English theme songs. The OST was nothing special. The voice acting was good though.

Overall: 7.75/10
    It you want to be disturbed and be intellectually stimulated, watch this anime.

Junior Member winglessbaka is on a distinguished road winglessbaka's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2007 09:19 AM
    Threads

Story 10
    if you give it time and put some thinking into it, its the best ever.

Animation 7 (9 if you consider its time period)

Sound 7
    the op is a classic and very catchy. the english dub wasn't bad, but it certainly was no where as good the the original. asuka's dubbing in english was very interesting and, for me, quite awesome.

Character 10
    the characters in this anime are as real as it gets. the psychological insight is unprecedented and most definitely disturbing but, again, realistic.

Enjoyment 9
    i would of given it a 10, but this was no relaxed entertaining anime and i actually hated it for a few days when i finished it until i thought it over and over again...

now for what i really wanted to say:
    i think most people who watched the ENTIRE evangelion would agree that there is no other like it. the people who hate it (or find it overrated) should make sure they watched the entire thing before commenting because it absolutely needs to be viewed as a whole. unless you only want to watch carefree cute girls animes, this is a must watch. i watched this anime because one of my friends wanted to do a thesis paper on it for his hs humanities class, so i spent a lot of time thinking beyond the animation itself. all the religious references, i concluded, were very very interesting, but really nothing more than interesting. its fun to hunt them out (or wiki it...) but i suspect it was just something to make the anime stand out. what i was amazed about were the characters. you will have to see for yourself. i felt the psychological problems of each character were some way applicable for all of us (grated they were very much exaggerated). i also had some fun matching most my friends to a character. lastly, the philosophical stuff (existentialism) was intellectually stimulating and probably as good as it gets, though inferior to its psychology. the last 2 eps are disappointing because they ran out of budget; all you have to do is watch the movie a few times.

Junior Member edward-elric17 is on a distinguished road edward-elric17's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-19-2008 12:20 AM
    Threads

I just finished watching Neon Genesis Evangelion for the first time, and here are my initial impressions:

Story (8/10): I hope that you above don't hate me for this, but I was a little disappointed by the ending of the series. Although I haven't watched "End of Evanelion" yet, which I hope will clarify a lot of what happened. I liked the psychological aspects of the last couple of episodes, but was frustrated that we don't know what happened with Seele and the remaining Eva's. Left me hanging wanting more. If someone could fill me in, it would help greatly. Still, a nice, complex, deep plot.

Animation (9/10): The animation in this was great. I loved the depth of colors and the expressions on the character's faces. To me, this art style was much more artistic than many other anime I have seen, and I really enjoyed it.

Music (7/10): Nothing to get too excited about, but didn't detract from the experience.

Characters(9/10): A great cast of characters, with a range of depth and complexity to them. However, sometimes the exploration of these depths gets confusing and may be a little over-done. Still, they are memorable and great.

Overall: (8/10) As the series ended, I have to say that it was a very solid anime but definitely not the best that I have seen. I think that sometimes anime is hindered by it's own desire to have so much depth and understanding lying beneath it. Sometimes it's better to be straightforward rather than having to guess at all that is happening. A little bit more info could have made this one of the best anime's I have ever seen. Still, it was very powerful, and I recommend it to any anime fan, though definitely not to a beginner.

P.S. Also bothers me that they seem to keep creating alternate endings to NGE with these movie releases. Let it be what it is.

Junior Member Ignis has much to be proud of Ignis has much to be proud of Ignis has much to be proud of Ignis has much to be proud of Ignis has much to be proud of Ignis has much to be proud of Ignis has much to be proud of Ignis has much to be proud of Ignis has much to be proud of Ignis's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-25-2007 01:55 AM
    Threads

For me, this is really the most complex anime I've ever seen. While some think it as offensive, I care not. However, the ending disappointed me quite a bit, but it doesn't lessen my judgment. Why I rate perfect? It's because the usage of terms like the angels, eva, adam, etc. That's the kind of my favourite story.

Character development: 9/10
    Another perfect work. NGE contains perfectly-developed characters whose characteristics are very clear throughout the story. For example, Shinji is most prominently sorrow, while Asuka is arrogant.

Artwork: 7/10
    NGE's artwork was one of my favourite until I see animes nowadays. NGE is good, but the artworks are all like handmade, which makes it seem a little messed for me. Nevertheless, it still is good, although it's far from my favourite type of artwork.

Ending: 7/10
    Can't say much. It's well-developed, but it disappointed me a little.

Voices: 8/10
    Many says that Shinji's dubber is too feminine for a boy, but I personally think the dubber fits him. His personality is most prominently sorrow and sloth, so spiritless voice works good. The others, they are perfect. The dubbers successfully picture the character's personality in their voices.

Song: 7/10
    I don't like Zankoku na Tenshi no Thesis (Cruel Angel's Thesis) being assigned as its opening song. Its deep meaning fits with the anime extremely well, but however the melody and the singer (sorry ) don't give a 'evangelical presence' when I hear the song. I prefer songs like angela's Gravitation (soundtrack of Heroic Age) because of its 'evangelical' melody.

Overall: 8/10
    Overall, it's still my favourite anime until now, although the artworks and songs don't impress me so much. But since those terms are secondary for me, I still like NGE very much.

Member mhumoo has a reputation beyond repute mhumoo has a reputation beyond repute mhumoo has a reputation beyond repute mhumoo has a reputation beyond repute mhumoo has a reputation beyond repute mhumoo has a reputation beyond repute mhumoo has a reputation beyond repute mhumoo has a reputation beyond repute mhumoo has a reputation beyond repute mhumoo has a reputation beyond repute mhumoo has a reputation beyond repute mhumoo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-05-2007 11:07 PM
    Threads

characters:10/10

i like the character on eva. and how they grow on each other..

laugh: 8.5/10

i mean sometimes they get o serious and stuff... being serious is bad for your health.. haha.. nahh just kidding..

story: 8.0 /10
    maybe because i didnt like how it ends.. but again i forgot what the ending of eve is... hmm..

animation: 8.654/10
    well the animation is quite old.. and i like those anime that look nice.. i mean the new and improve one...

Junior Member craigaxe is infamous around these parts craigaxe is infamous around these parts craigaxe is infamous around these parts craigaxe's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-18-2008 07:48 AM
    Threads

Neon Genesis Evangelion [TV series]
    Evangelion: Death and Rebirth [First Feature Film]
    End of Evangelion [Second Feature Film]
    A.K.A: Evangelion

TV: 26 episodes that ran from October 4th 1995 – March 24th 1996
    Death & Rebirth: 101 minutes, 1997
    End of Evangelion: 87 minutes, July 19th, 1997
    Made by: Gainax
    Genre: Giant Robots, Sci-Fi.

Plot Synopsis: (Partially Taken from Wikipedia)
    Neon Genesis Evangelion takes place in 2015, fifteen years after the catastrophic Second Impact, reportedly caused by a meteor strike, which wiped out half of Earth's population and tilted its axis. Just as humanity is finishing its recovery from this disaster, Tokyo-3 began suffering attacks by strange monsters referred to as Angels. Conventional weapons are useless against the Angels, and the only known defense against them are the biomechanical mechas created by the paramilitary organization NERV, the Evangelions (Eva’s).
    Shinji Ikari is brought to Tokyo 3 under orders from his father Gendo Ikari, leader of NERV. Shinji has been estranged from Gendo since he was a toddler, and takes this to mean that his father wants a relationship with him, but upon arrival at NERV it becomes clear that his father summoned him purely due to his high compatibility with the Eva’s. He moves in with Captain Misato, commander of the Eva’s and extroverted alcoholic. Shinji is cowardly and unsure of himself, and intensely dislikes the responsibility of saving the world, but continues (with occasional lapses) to fight the Angels in spite of it. He is later joined by Rei Ayanami, a fragile introvert, and Asaka Langley Soryu, a conceited extrovert.

Story: (10/10)
    Evangelion is one of, if not the most complex stories in all anime. Filled with ridiculous amounts of symbolism. I can’t say enough good things about this anime. All of the characters are fully fleshed out, with loads of mental problems that really invoke the pathos. Awesome plot twists. The only problem I have with the series is that Evangelion: Death and Rebirth is essentially useless if you have the director cut of the TV series & End of Evangelion, as it is half a recap of the TV series plus a few new scenes (included in the directors cut), and the other half is the first half of End of Evangelion. It is also worth noting how cool it is to have both The Internal Ending as it is in Shinji’s mind in the TV series, and The External Ending in the real world from End of Evangelion.

Art and Animation: TV/ Death & Rebirth: (7/10), End of Evangelion: (8/10)
    While not the best I have ever seen, the animation in both series is very distinctive and clean, and the Eva and Angel designers deserve a medal.

Voice Acting [English]/Music/Sound: (9/10)
    Very Good. The acting is very believable, and the music is sort of catchy. I especially like the “Fly Me to the Moon” ending theme in the TV series. The sound is also very commendable.

Overall: (11/10)
    I don’t normally break rating systems, but if any series deserves it, it’s Evangelion. This is, hands down, the best Anime in existence. Anyone who says different is a base charlatan, and worthy only on contempt. It’s THAT GOOD I CAN'T BELIVE MY EYES.
    Last edited by MuZ0NaZ; 09-23-2007 at 06:34 AM.
    nightmare dimensions! be afaid, be very afraid

Junior Member prometheus126 is on a distinguished road prometheus126's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-06-2008 09:53 AM
    Threads

Rarely is there ever a creation, written or visual, that is concidered a masterpeice. even less is one I and the majority of others judge the same; a masterpeice. though I have heard others with complaints on the series, it seemed more on the lines that evangelion tried to be deeper then just your typical giant robot show. needless to say, I think extremely highly of this show and find it a masterpeice in visual art.

Story: 10/10: this is one of those strange shows that is both plot-driven AND character driven. sometimes shows are driven primarily by their great main characters or by it's great storylines. evangelion is done with both. first it's plotline, centered around the constant attacks of creatures called "angels" and humanities first line of defence against the beast, the "evas". soon enough the plot starts to turn and twist, culminating in one of animes greatest finales, which might not satify some who wished for a happy ending for asuka, shinji and the gang but in my opinion, it ended the only way it should have with the movie. alot has been made of the shows religious theming but not about the WW2 allogories within it at the same time, nor the psychological hypothesis the show brings up. all of these themes coagulate into something else, something that can be explained, but you'd miss so much by talking about it. this is a show that must be analyzed

Characters: 10/10: each character is unique and fully developed throughout the show, characters you had pigion-holed in the beginning show more of themselves and develope alot better then in the beginning. shinjis self-loathing, asukas manic-depression, misukos madonna-***** persona, all are fully drawn out and examined all equelly. the most complex and unique of all, obviously, is rei. within just one being is oedipal complexes, a goddess concept and a lonely girl who doesn't really know who she is. the finale is more reis final acheivement, her final act of reaching out to humanity.

Animation: 8/10: for being over ten years old, the show holds up extremely well. it might not have the glossiness or cgi ships or mecha you see in newer shows but it is easily watchable with great basic character designs and magnificent mechas. the evas inhuman design, unlike other robo shows like the gundam series, established a difference between this and others, showing that the mechas in this show isn't the same as the others in shows such as gundam wing.

Audio: 8.5/10: while I wouldn't say the english cast was miscased, I believe they didn't pull all the way threw with their roles. spike spencer especially didn't bring his character all the way to the end of the ballpark. sadly, I believed he did a good job in it but it was truly dwarfed by megumi ogatas powerful performance. she deserves an oscer just for her scream at the end of end of evangelion alone.

Overall: 10/10: all in all, this is a show that changed more then just anime, it changed media in general all over the world. do you truly believe the matrix would have been made if eva wasn't around? look at shows that go a little deeper then usual, such as battlestar gallactica, lost, and heroes. hiro himself was probably influenced by shinji, just in a difference in character. this show has some haters but they are few and far between and most of them I wouldn't call true anime fans (loving bleach, naruto and death note doesn't count as an true anime fan my friend.) hands-down, this is a classic for a reason. it is not just one of the greatest animes ever, but one of the greatest T.V. shows ever made, and one of the greatest acheivements in visual arts.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information