AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Could the PS3 kill Sony?

This is my AWESOME face! Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2009 06:54 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Could the PS3 kill Sony?

I was given this link on a seperate forum. I have to say, it's an interesting read.

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/21...he_playstation

I personaly think that if Sony is negatively affected by the PS3, then it might hit them hard, but it won't kill them outright.

What do you guys think? Wait....I can hear the fanboy replys already....
    The Tao of Rayne - Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience...if that fails, try something in the dairy variety.

Serenith's pet Crocodile Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2010 03:37 PM
    Threads

I believe if the PS3 is a flop (and I won't say it will be) it won't completely put sony out of business.
    This is all said out of my opinion not facts, so don't get mad at me. But I believe sony has a good enough foothold in the electronics industry to be able to afford a setback.
    I personally have an xbox 360 and it's great, and the games on it rock in my favorite genres
    And this last comment that I think needs to be heard. If you've seen the last two playstations, you will see that the cenematics were true eye candy for that time. But when it came to the gameplay department it fell behind. Who's to say that it won't be the same for the PS3?
    Sig by -Ookami-, thank you Ookami!

Elder Scrolls Oblivion: A Tale Retold

http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?t=94454

Senior Member nega_knives will become famous soon enough nega_knives's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-16-2006 08:03 PM
    Threads

Prob Not But It Will Come Close Sony Will Have To Pull Out Something

C++ Addict Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2006 05:22 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

If Sony doesn't keep their promise about PS3 being the centrum of the universe, it will ofcourse affect Sony as a company.
    But I don't really think that's going to happen (the effect of Sony part ).
    I live in Switzerland!

Top Gun bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-10-2010 08:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Sony existed long before playstation came out. They will continue to exist should playstation ever fail. Sony and Microsoft have their roots in other industries, neither of them really need the gaming industry. It's just another market for them to enter.

I'm trying to get a job at one of the factories near pittsburgh that makes TV's.

boopaloop! Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated's Avatar
    Gil
    Doubtful
    Gifts Xmas Tree Toast Present
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-06-2010 11:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

bakakame, you're right on that one. But the problem is that the gaming industry is huge, economically speaking. A complete and utter flop with either Sony or Microsoft will probably drag money from all divisions. The gaming industry is just another market, yes, but its a high-investment market.

If Sony doesn't keep their promise about PS3 being the centrum of the universe, it will ofcourse affect Sony as a company.
    But I don't really think that's going to happen.
    Uh-huh. Keep in mind Ax, that things can go wrong in the space of an hour. If fact if all those promises are not kept, expect another loud minority of ticked off PS3 owners. And you know what the 360's loud minority did to it.

All my Let's Plays can be found here!
    Currently LPing: Rome Total War:
    Latest Update:
    Chapter 3: The Last King of Carthage.
    Start from the beginning:
    Chapter 1: Sicily Unified.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation The_Azn_Effect will become famous soon enough The_Azn_Effect will become famous soon enough The_Azn_Effect's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-09-2006 06:17 PM
    Threads

Post The PS3 Price:

The X-box 360 is like what: $399.99, and as I've seen, the PS3 is the same price! I was hoping it would be cheaper. Tsk tsk tsk. Who knows, the Xbox 360s that were first released had some issues and their hard drives crashed. Wonder what the PS3 will be like. I just want to play a few new upcoming PS3 games on the system like Kill Zone 2.
    ~Kingdom Hearts II Ninja Mickey~

Like that don't ya!

Tha Family

Anime Fan, of many Animes. No need to paste them all. This is my sig. it's not big. Just what you see is what i just want to do. No time for fancy sig.

The_Azn_Effect

Child of the atom Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2007 03:33 PM
    Threads

Going on the idea the ps3 flops sony would in fact be totally screwed. Their other electronics devisions are failing make no mistake. Their main source of profit is the playstation brand. Simply put, they can't afford this thing to flop. But due to the ps2 and psx popularity an out right flow is unlikely but dwindling interest is a possibility.

the darkness in the light spireroth_1 can only hope to improve spireroth_1's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-21-2006 05:25 PM
    Threads

not likely but it could happen

Fluffy Stuffed Animal Hobbes will become famous soon enough Hobbes will become famous soon enough Hobbes's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-10-2006 06:18 PM
    Threads

Also, Bill Gates confirmed that Halo 3 would be shipped the same day as Sony' PS3, which could cause a little cotroversy.
    [Want a signature? Tell me and I'll make you one, mhmm! ^_^]

Teh Lam Shinjimae is an unknown quantity at this point Shinjimae's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-01-2006 11:22 PM
    Threads

We can only hope for the worst.. I'm tired of Sonys Death Grip on Japan, hopefully 360 will make progress with their new Japanese designers and FF series..

Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 04:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    Also, Bill Gates confirmed that Halo 3 would be shipped the same day as Sony' PS3, which could cause a little cotroversy.
    No it won't. Not everyone will have a 360 for starters.
    Also, I doubt Bill gates even knows when PS3 will launch, because Sony has no idea yet. Fanboys will freakin' protest like they did when Halo 2 took forever to launch.

We can only hope for the worst...I'm tired of Sony's Death Grip on Japan, Hopefully 360 will make progress with their new Japanese designers and FF series
    OBJECTION!

-The Final Fantasy series means nothing, Sony still has several companies under their wings.
    -Sony has no death grip on Japan, all they do is sell video games and tv's. It's not thier fault people buy their products.
    -The original Xbox made NO progress in Japan. Most Japanese who did by an XBOX only had it for DOA3.
    -The Japanese won't switch to the 360 just because of Final Fantasy, they aren't american otakus, they have a larger selection of crappy over rated RPGs then we do.
    -Japanese gamers are loyal to Sony and Nintendo, because they are Japanese companies. Much like america is (in most cases) all of a sudden loyal to Microsoft. Why? Microsoft is American. The other day I actualy heard people in my cafe' saying that the 360 is better than the PS3 because it's American. Niether county has many gamers willing to try something new.

And the BIGGEST reason of all...

-Date Sims.

It's a proven fact, Japanese need their date sims to live. Without them, Japans economy and social order would crumble! Most date sims, are in fact, on

-The PC
    -Playstation. (sega ndreamcast used to have them a lot as well...but sega doesn't matter anymore)

Most are also based off of popular Anime (Negima, Love Hina, A I R, ect) And others are just hard core Hentai.Japanese Highschool boys, Gackt, and 40 year old Japanese men who's wives no longer please them LIVE for these date sims.

The point is...Sony has Japan, thats all they really need in terms of sales. The other sales across the planet will help as well, But Japan is sony's primary.Sony isn't making games for America, they are making games for Japan (Japanese compainies making games for Japan...HOLY **** DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING!)

and before you say "Sony NEEDS american sales!"

Microsoft didn't need sales in Japan to maker a profit off Xbox(wait..they LOST money on each system sold, ignore the profit statement) But the point is, the Xbox is doing just fine in America, without the bulk of sales in Japan. So if Microsoft doesn't need Japan, a country where 90% of the people ages 5 to 50 play video games...I doubt they need every last gamer in America.
    Just look around the forum at the "Sony vs Nintendo vs Microsoft" threads (theres 100's, can't miss em') All of the Otaku's will say Nintendo, or Sony. And lets face it, Otakus in America are growing more and more in number each week.
    Then you have the rich upper-class people who will buy every NGC console, and people like me who will simply go out and buy them all for the Hell of it.

This is all I have to say...I'm getting all three sooner or later, so either way it doesn't matter to me. But in closeing.

Order I care about my systems.

-Nintendo
    -Sony
    -PC
    -Microsoft

Child of the atom Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2007 03:33 PM
    Threads

-Japanese gamers are loyal to Sony and Nintendo, because they are Japanese companies. Much like america is (in most cases) all of a sudden loyal to Microsoft. Why? Microsoft is American. The other day I actualy heard people in my cafe' saying that the 360 is better than the PS3 because it's American. Niether county has many gamers willing to try something new.
    HOLD IT!

It could be the fact that the x box is made by america, OR it could be that it never got the kind of games japanese gamers wanted. Look at other american products that took off in japan, like the Ipod is a big hit over there. When the x box got games like DOA (as sad as it is) and ninja gaiden sales spiked. Meaning it really is just a lack of games, not its country of origin.

Sure some people will only buy a product from their home country but that is the vast minority. If this logic held up the 7800 should have crushed the nes since after all it was an american system. But it didn't have the games, that's why it failed. If the x box actually had some games (Like rpgs and dating sims) than I guarentee you it would sell better.

As is the x box library is 60% (if not more) fps and ganster games two genres that nobody buys in japan. So is it really the fact it was made in america or is it the total lack of RPGs, dating sims, platformers or any kind of well balanced library?

C++ Addict Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2006 05:22 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated
    Uh-huh. Keep in mind Ax, that things can go wrong in the space of an hour. If fact if all those promises are not kept, expect another loud minority of ticked off PS3 owners. And you know what the 360's loud minority did to it.
    Yeah, good point.
    I live in Switzerland!

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Tyranus
    HOLD IT!

OR it could be that it never got the kind of games japanese gamers wanted. Meaning it really is just a lack of games, not its country of origin.

If the x box actually had some games (Like rpgs and dating sims) than I guarentee you it would sell better.

As is the x box library is 60% (if not more) fps and ganster games two genres that nobody buys in japan. So is it really the fact it was made in america or is it the total lack of RPGs, dating sims, platformers or any kind of well balanced library?
    I suppose you couldn't tell by my post but that is more or less what I meant. The xbox wasn't popular mainly because of the lack of RPG's, and other such things. The one's they did have sucked. And I was saying now that they have signed on more Japanese game designers I hope that more people will switch to 360, if they did more designers would sign on with Microsoft and though I hate bill gates and Microsoft I like FPS which is strongest in Xbox (Let's face it PS2 Shooters blow in comparison to Xbox shooters, and vice-versa for RPG's). Then again if Revolution turns out good and has good games I will buy it before I even look at the other two.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Redfield22
    Oh, and Shinjimae...Shooters on the Xbox are **** in comparision to shooters on the PC.
    I disagree I would rather use a controller than a Keyboard to play. (Yes there are several different controllers made for the computer but none of them compare to the control you get with the xbox controller.) And I think your opinion is completely ignorant. I'm sure people could make room for the xbox in thier home and I doubt that is a major issue.

Fluffy Stuffed Animal Hobbes will become famous soon enough Hobbes will become famous soon enough Hobbes's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Tyranus
    Yeah, I'll have to aggree on this one.
    Sony and Nintendo make games that appeal to Japan.
    Microsoft makes games that appeal to America.

Also...
    No it won't. Not everyone will have a 360 for starters.
    Also, I doubt Bill gates even knows when PS3 will launch, because Sony has no idea yet. Fanboys will freakin' protest like they did when Halo 2 took forever to launch.

ehh... Now that I've been shut down, I did a little research. As it turns out, the "Halo3 ship date same as PS3" was just a rumor. Hah, maybe I should do my research before posting next time. @_@

This is my AWESOME face! Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    Hah, maybe I should do my research before posting next time. @_@
    Everyone makes mistakes mate. I sometimes get my facts wrong. Just grin and bare it.
    The Tao of Rayne - Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience...if that fails, try something in the dairy variety.

Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 04:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Shinjimae
    I disagree I would rather use a controller than a Keyboard to play. (Yes there are several different controllers made for the computer but none of them compare to the control you get with the xbox controller.) And I think your opinion is completely ignorant. I'm sure people could make room for the xbox in thier home and I doubt that is a major issue.
    That's you, but there are a lot of people who would rather use keyboard. And i'm not being ignorant, Have you ever been to Japan? The smaller things are the better. And so what if they "CAN" make space. Why would you want to when you don't have too?

Banned Forum / Chat Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun is infamous around these parts Qeeun's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2006 04:41 PM
    Threads

I highly Doubt Sony will release something that would hurt them, that badly anyway.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

That's you, but there are a lot of people who would rather use keyboard. And i'm not being ignorant, Have you ever been to Japan? The smaller things are the better. And so what if they "CAN" make space. Why would you want to when you don't have too?
    Yes their are which is why it is an opinion.
    No I haven't, you?
    Well when you get into bed don't expect the woman to agree with your philosophy.
    Currently in our technology you will need space to get the memory, sony still uses memory cards as does Nintendo, Xbox uses a hardrive which I find much easier. The only downside is that you have to buy a memory card to use your memory on another system, but i'm sure with the Generation that comes out after this new gen that problem will be eliminated.

Senior Member naruto_207 will become famous soon enough naruto_207's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2006 03:09 AM
    Threads

Default no

no ps3 will not take offer sony
    brother: ranma--
    sweet sister and best friend:sundvar the illusionist
    my best brave brother: jump_for_luck77
    evil twin:naruto_the_real
    syco brolayer_69

can you find it in your soul to give me good rep

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

....dude....what's that meant to mean? We were talking about what would happen to sony if the PS3 bombed, not if the PS3 would...take offer sony....whatever the hell that means

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I think, that as long as Sony doesn't make the mistake Microsoft made (by rushing the systems release) then it should do just fine, in both America and Japan. However, they might release a faulty system like the PS2. If I pick up a PS3 and it gives me a Disk Read Error even once, I'm going berserk. However, I don't think that Sony would release a product knowing it would harm them.

But, Xbox just can't do good in Japan. The lack of Japanese appealing games kills it.

*Edit* grammer mistakes... @_@

boopaloop! Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated's Avatar
    Gil
    Doubtful
    Gifts Xmas Tree Toast Present
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-06-2010 11:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Dude. Microsoft didn't rush the release. They released a perfectly good product with a 3% error rate. However, the 3% complained loudly to the media and the media turned the 360 into junk. Get your facts straight.

All my Let's Plays can be found here!
    Currently LPing: Rome Total War:
    Latest Update:
    Chapter 3: The Last King of Carthage.
    Start from the beginning:
    Chapter 1: Sicily Unified.

Closed Thread

Thread Information