AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Games and their place in our society

Senior Member trippy200 is on a distinguished road trippy200's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-01-2006 11:08 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Games and their place in our society

Games are a fast growing medium. They grew from kids entertaintment to more mature (sometimes scandalous) entertaintment and it is still growing. And games still aren't respected as a medium that can be as fullfilling as a classic novel, which is sad. Do you think these attitudes will change?
    Stop reading my sig & read the next post! Wait,why are you still reading this? Do you have a genuine interest in my sig? Well, I suppose if you've gotten this far . . . first of all, you must acknowledge my awesomeness. C'mon, don't be shy. just say it. Say i'm awesome. See, that wasn' too hard was it? Now go forth, my minion! Aid my quest to worlddomination!! . . . Did I just reveal my top-secret plan in my sig? Drat!

Serenith's pet Crocodile Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2010 03:37 PM
    Threads

Games are just going through the same thing that tv and movies went through. It will blow over in time
    Sig by -Ookami-, thank you Ookami!

Elder Scrolls Oblivion: A Tale Retold

http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?t=94454

Member Tinkerboi is on a distinguished road Tinkerboi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-14-2006 12:49 PM
    Threads

more kids an teens just want to fit in cause a new system is in an 2 more on the way.but after next year nobody will care about the new systems an back to the same o same o .

Senior Member neo_wolfwood_187 is infamous around these parts neo_wolfwood_187 is infamous around these parts neo_wolfwood_187 is infamous around these parts neo_wolfwood_187 is infamous around these parts neo_wolfwood_187 is infamous around these parts neo_wolfwood_187 is infamous around these parts neo_wolfwood_187 is infamous around these parts neo_wolfwood_187 is infamous around these parts neo_wolfwood_187 is infamous around these parts neo_wolfwood_187 is infamous around these parts neo_wolfwood_187 is infamous around these parts neo_wolfwood_187's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-14-2006 09:47 AM
    Threads

Simon, Eventually It Will Change...
    -NW->

Senior Member Blade08 will become famous soon enough Blade08's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-01-2006 10:01 PM
    Threads

They help you live
    If you give in you might as well DIE!!!

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

more kids an teens just want to fit in cause a new system is in an 2 more on the way.but after next year nobody will care about the new systems an back to the same o same o .
    haha! So true, at some point, they hafta stop calling "next-gen" consoles "current-gen" and the cycle starts anew . . . though i hope that as time goes by that systems will offer more than just nice visuals. Sure, cool graphics are a plus, but that won't keep us happy forever will it? mario's sidescrolling screen and 3D graphics were innovative, and hopefully Nintendo will do their innovation thang with the revolution...
    Stop reading my sig & read the next post! Wait,why are you still reading this? Do you have a genuine interest in my sig? Well, I suppose if you've gotten this far . . . first of all, you must acknowledge my awesomeness. C'mon, don't be shy. just say it. Say i'm awesome. See, that wasn' too hard was it? Now go forth, my minion! Aid my quest to worlddomination!! . . . Did I just reveal my top-secret plan in my sig? Drat!

Junior Member Alucard0 is on a distinguished road Alucard0's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-31-2006 05:55 AM
    Threads

If you like naruto then visit this web site its a battle forum

http://p4.forumforfree.com
    its to late to scream

In Airforce. Love Ya gene the man has a reputation beyond repute gene the man has a reputation beyond repute gene the man has a reputation beyond repute gene the man has a reputation beyond repute gene the man has a reputation beyond repute gene the man has a reputation beyond repute gene the man has a reputation beyond repute gene the man has a reputation beyond repute gene the man has a reputation beyond repute gene the man has a reputation beyond repute gene the man has a reputation beyond repute gene the man's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-01-2010 08:30 AM
    Threads

I hope that they change the way that they view games. Always saying that games are the reason for most of the problems with kids who go on rampages when actually video games teach children and some adults many things. I learned how to read from video games. ^_^ I also hope that the people in our society stop dissing gaems for what they show and start talking about what they do. They stimulate the mind and help with growth and development. I love VIDEO GAMES.
    "What is life without pain?."

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Games aren't as fulfilling as a classic novel, unless you're very, very shallow. I love games, but games are decidedly a commercial product more often then not. It's like comparing "Terminator 3" to "1984." You instantly lose.

I mean, let’s take the last classic novel I read, "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" by Leo Tolstoy and compare it to one of the deeper games out there, Deus Ex.

Characterization

The Death of Ivan Ilyich- Compelling. I felt for Ivan, and really empathized with his illness.

Deus Ex- Bland. Emotionless protagonist, versus a Conscienceless Antagonist.

Winner: The Death of Ivan Ilyich.

Plot

The Death of Ivan Ilyich- Man dies from organ failure, realizes futility of his accomplishments.

Deus Ex- Man learns of conspiracy, defeats conspiracy. No character growth.

Moral

The Death of Ivan Ilyich- Happiness, in retrospect is illusionary.

Deus Ex- Never build a damn world governing A.I. smarter than you are.

And that’s one of the deeper stories available. Imagine if I compared it to Super Mario. Comparing video games to classic novels is just erroneous. They are nothing alike.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Child of the atom Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2007 03:33 PM
    Threads

And games still aren't respected as a medium that can be as fullfilling as a classic novel, which is sad
    Perhaps that's because games aren't as fullfilling as a classic novel, or most novels. Novels carry meanings, steeped in symbolism messages. Games involve shooting and jumping on things, and sometimes you get a moral lesson. Not the same by any stretch of the imagination. And keep in mind I own 18 different consoles and hundreds of games from all generations, I am as avid a gamer as they come. But this is just something I can not agree with you on.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I read an aritcle on Gamespot, where they said that games probably should'nt be compared to works such as novels or movies. Why? Because a games can do well without an overly intricate plot chock-full of character growth and development, but they can't do well without engaging gameplay. Games are entertainment, and they do have the ability to make you think, to feel for the character, to cry (don't say they don't, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time made me teary!), though originally, that wasnt what they were intended to do. A games' ultimate purpose (other than bringing in moolah) is to draw the player into a different world where they could escape from the pressures of the daily grind where they can live out dreams and just have fun, thinking, 'hey, at least i don't have to save my girlfriend from some deranged ape'! And perhaps, that's how they should be judged, as to how well the game is able to provide enjoyment, . . .

Valkyrie Swordsman ShinNatsume has a reputation beyond repute ShinNatsume has a reputation beyond repute ShinNatsume has a reputation beyond repute ShinNatsume has a reputation beyond repute ShinNatsume has a reputation beyond repute ShinNatsume has a reputation beyond repute ShinNatsume has a reputation beyond repute ShinNatsume has a reputation beyond repute ShinNatsume has a reputation beyond repute ShinNatsume has a reputation beyond repute ShinNatsume has a reputation beyond repute ShinNatsume's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-01-2009 11:52 AM
    Threads

That odd ????

Im with the light who leads you out from the darkness

i cant do cartwheels poppy is a glorious beacon of light poppy is a glorious beacon of light poppy is a glorious beacon of light poppy is a glorious beacon of light poppy is a glorious beacon of light poppy's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-24-2006 03:59 PM
    Threads

games are a different thing to books and stuff
    theyre different because what makes a good game might ruin a book
    people use them for different reasons (all recreational though)
    and differnt people have different interests so some peple will be attracted to game s and others books

personally i like both but i cant decide which i like best
    ps i like really dificult books (so long as i can just about understand them) and complete no brainer games (!VIOLENCE!)
    samurai deeper kyo!!!

i love it so much!

Closed Thread

Thread Information