AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Reducing the size of the gallery pages?

Junior Member BugMeNot is on a distinguished road BugMeNot's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2006 12:05 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Reducing the size of the gallery pages?

Hi,

I recently noticed that the HTML pages on AnimeGalleries.net are really big (About 70-120kB, which is bigger then many images). I thought you could optimize that a bit to give your users a faster browsing experience and save yourself some bandwidth.

Some ideas:

1. GZIP compression - saves about 80% or more for the current web pages in exchange for some CPU cycles on your server.

2. The Category/Gallery dropdown is 45kB big. That's about 1MB redundant data every 23 pageviews. You should remove it or move it to a commen page which will be included via iframe. That common page should have good caching behaviour, so use a static page or carefully crafted script (honoring If-Modified-Since headers and sending a Last-Modified header should do the trick).

3. XHTML/CSS/tableless design - this would be the most work, but would probably reduce the size of each page by 30-40%. Making a gallery design tableless is not as hard as it seems. See for example the Siriux design for "Gallery 2" for inspiration: http://siriux.net/news/2005/08/19/si...lery-20-theme/

Only combining method 1 and 2 would reduce the transferred page size to a tenth of the current size, which would be quite an improvement, I think.

Greetings, Anonymous

SPARKLE SPARKLE!!! Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-01-2023 03:50 PM
    Threads

Hello,

My name is Graham Frank, and I am the systems administrator for www.animegalleries.net and www.animeforum.com. Below are my responses to your post.

Response to point 1:

We've tried using gzip in the past, but due to the amount of traffic we get, gzip ended up causing even more slowdowns due to the microseconds it took to process each gzip request. We get thousands of requests per second. That means lag, and a lot of it.

Response to point 2:

Do not forget about computer cache's. Computers that cache wouldn't have this issue. Don't forget that iframes only work in Internet Explorer.

Response to point 3:

You have to keep in mind that we use an opensource program which sets up its own design structure. We are currently looking into designing our own system which will correct most of the current optimization issues (including web and mySQL).

Overall response:

We appreciate your feedback. We have been planning many major changes that will substantially decrease the load times of the sites and reduce the load on our servers. Implementing new systems is incredibly tricky due to having to test the system and swap it with the existing system. Any downtime caused by this would be unacceptable.

Currently, our biggest draw back is that our current web server (a dual xeon 2.8 ghz) is no longer capable of meeting the demands of the sites. When purchased it was designed to handle a traffic increase of only 300%, which we have greatly exceeded. In early February, we will be introducing a new system to replacing our existing web server (a dual amd opteron 270 using RAID10).

Please bare with us as it can only be handled as a slow process to incorporate major changes. Doing this fast would be reckless and stupid on our part.

Thank you.
    I am Jakiao - The Resident Dw33b / Forum & Chat Admin
    [ Our Rules | Site FAQ ]

Thinking about asking a question in Site Issues and Questions?
    Be sure to SEARCH FIRST before making a new thread. Chances are, someone already asked!

SPARKLE SPARKLE!!! Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao has a reputation beyond repute Jakiao's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Note: We have removed the dropdown menu. We've been thinking about removing it for the past few weeks anyway.

Question for you: Why did you setup a BugMeNot account for animegalleries.net when all an account is needed for is community participation?
    [ Our Rules | Site FAQ ]

Be sure to SEARCH FIRST before making a new thread. Chances are, someone already asked!

Junior Member BugMeNot is on a distinguished road BugMeNot's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2006 12:05 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Jakiao
    Do not forget about computer cache's. Computers that cache wouldn't have this issue.
    You can't cache pages without a Last-Modified header, at least no browser that I know of does.

Don't forget that iframes only work in Internet Explorer.
    At least Firefox (which means probably every Gecko-based browser), Konqueror (so Safari will for sure) and Opera support iframes, so I don't see any problem there.

Note: We have removed the dropdown menu. We've been thinking about removing it for the past few weeks anyway.
    Nice, I hope you won't be overrun by angry users who are missing this crucial feature

Question for you: Why did you setup a BugMeNot account for animegalleries.net when all an account is needed for is community participation?
    So I can post a message to the forum. Or is there some option I overlooked?

Greetings, Anonymous

Gil
    sunshine
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yeah, that dropdown menu annoys me anyway. So I'm glad to see it go. iframes are notorious for just being a complete pain in the first place. Besides, this will cut down on our MySQL queries just a tad. That bar has had a long history from being dynamically generated each page-view to statically link and updated every 15 minutes via crontab. Still a real pain.

As for the question about BugMeNot, I was asked to ask by a higher up o_O;

Anyway, thank you for your post here! If this is resolved, let me know and I will close this thread.
    [ Our Rules | Site FAQ ]

Closed Thread

Thread Information