AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Atelier Iris Thread

: azure dreamer : Arisu Reiji will become famous soon enough Arisu Reiji will become famous soon enough Arisu Reiji's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-07-2006 09:45 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Atelier Iris Thread

I don't suppose this thread will last too long, but I thought I'd bring up this game since I haven't seen it brought up despite the fact that it's been released only recently. And so here's the low-down on the game...

===

...Nevermind. Just check out the following link and read the information from there, I'm not about to post one long story here just so you can get the geist of this game. It's a lovely game, deals with alchemy (something that has been the trend as of late), and it also has lovely music, art, and interesting characters.

Heard of the game? Played it? Maybe even beat it (sheesh, even I haven't beaten it yet). Anyways, tell us what you think, who's your favorite character? What's the coolest feature in the game? Whatever it is, let us know here in this thread...

By the way, the OP theme to Atelier Iris is very interesting, give a listen if you have the chance. The song is titled "White Night Imagination".

Here's the link for the information, by the way (had to edit since I forgot to post up the darn link). Anyways, give the game a chance, if at the least, rent it.

http://www.siliconera.com/ps2/aieternalmana/050528.htm
    "The world may never change for the better but that's not the point,
    the point is to live like it will."

The Cold Saint Saint Mana is a name known to all Saint Mana is a name known to all Saint Mana is a name known to all Saint Mana is a name known to all Saint Mana is a name known to all Saint Mana is a name known to all Saint Mana's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2007 08:56 PM
    Threads

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana...
    This game has a cool art and graphic style. I love the use of sprites!
    However, the battle system is an insult. I've seen more creative battle systems on the Super NES! Of course, the Super NES is the greaest RPG Console of all time...
    The music is pleasing, but uninspired. The characters are, for the most part, annoying. Though there are some cool characters.
    The Alchemy and Item creation system is the best part of this game. Good job there. It is not as good as Star Ocean 2 in terms of item creation, but then again, no game is.
    The storyline I cannot comment on, as I have not played enough of the game. Five hours into the game though, I have seen almost no story development. It worries me.
    At any rate, this game is not bad if you are willing to endure the farce that is the battle system.
    Mankind's greatest achievment? Dragonball Z. Bar none.

Regrets(ken) Shironosuke Takeda has a reputation beyond repute Shironosuke Takeda has a reputation beyond repute Shironosuke Takeda has a reputation beyond repute Shironosuke Takeda has a reputation beyond repute Shironosuke Takeda has a reputation beyond repute Shironosuke Takeda has a reputation beyond repute Shironosuke Takeda has a reputation beyond repute Shironosuke Takeda has a reputation beyond repute Shironosuke Takeda has a reputation beyond repute Shironosuke Takeda has a reputation beyond repute Shironosuke Takeda has a reputation beyond repute Shironosuke Takeda's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2005 09:23 AM
    Threads

oh god i was going to buy the game till my mom rush me then forgot all ><!! i try post up the story haha~
    [QUOTE]
    Though the Atelier series, Gust's flagship RPG series, has been around for a while it's never been released in the US. At a time when J-RPGs are reaching a niche genre that is piquing interest with main stream gamers it's a perfect time to try the Atelier series in the US. NIS America, who has had good results with localizing Phantom Brave, has taken the challenge to bring this title over. The story starts out simple enough with a young teenage Alchemist, Klein, who has a coincidental run in with a Galgazit, Lita. The two battle out a Falconhawk and split. Fate would have it that the end up in the same town. Though Klein's initial quest is to develop his alchemy ability he gets drawn into being a Galgazit along with Lita. Galgazits are provided with free room and board in exchange for defending towns against threats. One of the major "threats" are googly eyed balloons, called Growloons. These mysterious creatures draw monsters, sometimes towards towns. Klein does meet up with more companions than the fierce Lita. An experienced Galgazit, Delsus, will join your band along with the mischievous cat girl Norn. The quest essentially pushes Klein's story forward. Klein will discover more mana friends besides his wood spirit Popo and eventually figure out why mana has been drained from the world.

The story does throw out a lot of questions early on. An intro sequence starts out with Klein and Lita in the distant future, reminiscing about the past journey. You also see a bunch of clips discussing about mana leaving the world. Though, these mysteries aren't revealed until much, much later on. Instead of drawing gamers in right away you're doing quests like fetching pinenuts for a shop owner. Just how is this helping the two reach the city in the sky? Because of the initial ennui gamers need to have patience with Atelier Iris Eternal Mana to reap the rewards. Even then the rewards might not be what die hard RPG fans are looking for. While years ago the story would seem revolutionary, Eternal Mana has too many "classic characters" and staple elements.

Maybe early on the collecting quests are there to get gamers really into seeking out items. Stuff to pick up is everywhere. Signified by a little glimmer Klein can run around and grab tons of different ingredients. These can be used to synthesize new items for stores. The whole synthesis system, drawn out from other simulation games, is a huge part of gameplay. You're rated on meals you create and weapons you forge. To actually create new innovations you need to seek out components, which are scattered everywhere. Once you make items you may need to re-create them depending on the parameters assigned to them. For instance when creating a new meal you could get a "super sweet" attribute or a "smelly" attribute. Since the final item gets some attributes randomly, you may need to create stuff a couple of times before you can make a hot selling item. Collection in the game goes beyond just item synthesis. There is actually a collecting center that registers every item you obtain, even synthesized ones. If you're into hunting down everything on the list expect an extra 10 hours of gameplay.

Outside of the item management Eternal Mana brings back the staple RPG gameplay. This means lots of dungeons and random battles. The battle system is a mix of turn based combat with a dash of strategy in it. You have three characters on the battlefield at anytime, with the opportunity to switch them out. Each character has the chance to do a basic attack, that has a certain range to it. For instance, Lita's claw attack has a horizontal swing and can hit multiple enemies, if they're next to each other. Although, the game never shows a radius. So if you want to hit multiple guys you need to move the cursor from monster to monster to see which enemies you'll hit. The whole targeting system is a little more tedious that just selecting fight. Characters also have unique skills to, which you'll get more of at each level up. Some skills have a "double turn" effect, which require charging up for a more powerful attack. While in the double turn pose their attack can be broken if enough damage is dealt. This creates an element of risk. Gamers need to choose between a safe single turn attack, a hasty "half turn" attack or a more powerful albeit breakable double turn attack.

Klein's skill is the most powerful early on. With the power of alchemy Klein can use extracted elements to cast spells. Typically a spell will give more damage that a simple hit and consume recyclable elements. In all of the environments Klein can use his extract element command to draw out elemental power for alchemic use. He can even stock created mana items if he's got an abundance of an element for later use. Early on, when you have a few spells, it's easy to decide how to allocate mana. Later on you'll need multiple types of mana for a single spell. Because of this players will need to intelligently decide how to allocate the spells. Should you save up for a few shots of a super powerful spell or should you use a bunch of weaker spells? It's your choice.

Dungeons are set up with a bunch of interactive elements besides element extraction. For instance the fire mana allows Klein to destroy some barriers. With each new mana Klein collects you'll gain a new ability. Cleverly dungeons are designed with treasures that you can't collect the first time. Instead you'll need to wait until you meet up with another mana spirit to give Klein an ability. This plays into the item collection system and finally the synthesis system. If you're into collecting, which is a big part of Eternal Mana, you'll revisit dungeons multiple times.

Gust's idea for Eternal Mana is a super cute sprite filled world. Everything in the game have a youthful anime feel to it. Even in battle the monsters you take on are smiling. Would you really think a blue slimeball puni is ferocious? Of course not. While it may not have a hard core look, the template is something that many Japanese games draw upon. Style-wise it will attract gamers into Japanese culture, but it's bound to turn off gamers used to Final Fantasy character designs. During story sequences you get a hand drawn version of the speaking characters pop up with text to the side. The presentation is pretty good when you get blown up characters instead of the tiny sprites.

NIS America has done a good job localizing this title for an American audience. There is both an English voice track and the original Japanese track to listen too. This is sure to please a wide audience, even though I'd dare to say the English track may be slightly better than the original language option. Atelier Iris ~Eternal Mana~ is an enjoyable title, even though it isn't for everyone. In a lot of ways it's a game designed for an established audience looking for the next RPG. In a summer with a drought of these games Atelier Iris ~Eternal Mana~ stands out and is worthy of your attention.[/
    QUOTE]

Moderator / Chat Admin Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-06-2013 05:06 PM
    Threads

I picked this game up three days ago, and I don't regret it yet. Some of the outside references are absolutely *hilarious* if you get them, and some of the characters are a little dense but my amusement level has remained quite high through most of the game. Log: Big. Heavy. Also wood!

Norn: Klein, I get so scared and lonely by myself at night. Can you please sleep next to me?
    Klein: What?! No way, the ESRB would go nuts!

The item creation system is driving me crazy, running back and forth buying the limited supplies of various ingredients to see how many different ways I can put them together and come out with something completely new - but it's very rewarding watching all the townspeople gather around outside the store and rave about how great it is. "Do you like this store, too? I'm just crazy about the Sexy Robe. I've made it part of my daily routine!"

The battle system feels a little empty. Your characters hardly seem to gain any strength when they level up, and powerful moves for wiping out groups of monsters with heavy damage are very, very rare.

Hopefully I can share a better overall impression of the game after I beat it, which I'm hoping is still farther off than it feels. I'd be very disappointed if I manage to beat the game in only 25 hours. That's just a tad short for an RPG these days. More to follow...

Anime Forum's First Generation

Quality Since 1999

Stronger Beyond Belief Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-06-2008 08:36 PM
    Threads

it is a cool game
    Sometimes The Minute You Give Up On Everything Somebody Shows Up And Cheers You Up Right Before Your Very Eyes It Happened To Me And He Knows Who He Is I Hope.

Junior Member Hyuuga_Neji is on a distinguished road Hyuuga_Neji's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-21-2005 12:44 PM
    Threads

o.O; Ps2 just seems to leak out RPG's every five minutes.

This isn't any different than anything else. It's so... done to death.

O.o; I WANT A NEW EXCITING ONE. ;_;

Mercenary for hire Shinbo is infamous around these parts Shinbo is infamous around these parts Shinbo is infamous around these parts Shinbo is infamous around these parts Shinbo is infamous around these parts Shinbo is infamous around these parts Shinbo is infamous around these parts Shinbo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-07-2008 03:43 PM
    Threads

I see information about this game hasn't leaked out as much.
    Konnichiwa my good people and bad people

Closed Thread

Thread Information