I couldn't figure out where to place this thread, but it probably belongs in Miscellaneous when I think about it. Real sorry.
I've known about these people obsessed w/ Japanese culture for a while, but I've never known the name for them (Japan-file or wannabe Japanese). So, I looked this stuff up on a certain website (Won't say the name cuz of advertising rules). Anywho, some of the things said were inacurate and some were just way too funny. So, what do you guys think of the Japan-file. I've actually met some and they really annoy me. I think like possessing three of the below qualities indicates a Japan-file. Read the indicators below and tell me what you think of those wacky Japan-file. or talk of your encounters w/ Japan-file.
"Indicators of a Japan-file"
1) The Japan-file will try to learn Japanese, but they won't take a class or an online course. They'll attempt to learn Japanese by watching anime, and they will use a word or a phrase they've learned w/ english (this is called Japanglish.
2) Will argue that Japan is superior to any other culture (including their own) although most Japan-file have never visited Japan themselves. Additionally, the Japan-file tend to believe that they are experts on Japanese culture, although they probably no little about Japanese history other than that found in anime.
3) The Japan-file will buy untranslated anime, and attempt to translate it themselves. Or, simply watch untranslated anime to "learn" Japanese.
4)A social misfit who wasn't accepted by his/her own culture, so the individual attempts to find refuge in the Japanese culture. Ironically, it is highly unlikely that the Japanese that the Japan-file openly embraces would return these strong feelings.
5) Butchers the Japanese language.
6) Has an unhealthy obsession with anime. Usually acts very elitest at cosplay conventions.
7) Only listen to Japanese and labels other forms of music as crap. However, the Japan-file mainly listen to Japanese pop which may be very similar to American pop.
8) May only date Asian girls/guys.