AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Question for all you college folk out there

Junior Member a_simple_fool is on a distinguished road a_simple_fool's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-13-2004 12:25 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Question for all you college folk out there

Ok, so the end of a semester is coming up rather fast for me, and I'm kind of putting off writing up a paper by doing this, but hey a stressed mind produces crappy stuff... unless its last second when for some reason you produce solid gold... but I digress.

My point is that with the coming of another semester I need to make a decision on where I'm going to live. Currently at my college there are a few dorm building's to choose from. There is the housing that resides on the upper quad, basically it was temporary housing constructed in the 30's... and is still being used today. This is where I currently reside and feel like I'm paying far too much to live in considering the state of it, and the small.. very cramped quarters. Basically a small common room with tiny bedrooms on either side with a one toilet two sink one shower bathroom in the back.

The other places of residence are the Fraternity houses, which are ok I suppose, but you have to deal with the noise and such. Decent size room, free reign of a complete house.

Then there is a semi normal dorm called traer, but its only for Freshmen, I may have transferred in here this year, but they still would not give me a room over there. I'm not too broken up over that being a jr/sr and all, but the rooms are decent, one large room, bathroom is shared between rooms.

Finally there is the "new" residence hall, this is the nicest one on campus, its not exactly new any more, but the name is going to stick till they build up the nicer dorms they are promising us and are currently taking forever to construct. Large common room, two large bed rooms. and the thing is not falling apart, however, the down side is that it costs an arm and a leg.

then of course there's the live off campus option, but that presents its own cost problems.

I'm quite torn... trying to decide how to best spend my finite funds to somehow find a pleasurable living experience on this campus.

So here's the essential question, do y'all think it is better to suffer through the hell of a crappy living space and save some cash, or to spend a little extra to at least have a nice place to go to once you are done with classes, or finished partying, whatever the case may be.

Any and all perspectives from your college lives would also be appreciated and interesting.

David

Senior Member Innotech has a spectacular aura about Innotech has a spectacular aura about Innotech's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-08-2006 07:09 PM
    Threads

I am EXTREMELY fortunate in that my parents live within 15 miles of cOllege campus, so I have free room and board so to speak, as well as food and stuff. HOwever, if I were on my own, I would save as much money as possible, and get something modest size, not huge, and not tiny. If thats not possible, Id settle for small. Believe me, Youll wish you had that extra cash if you ever get in an emergency or total your car, etc. You just never know what can happen, so its best to spend well within your budget limit.
    Im sure youll get used to the cramped conditions, and its only for a semester or so.
    currently watching:

Tsukuyomi Moon Phase
    Mahoraba Heartful days
    Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Ichigo 100%
    Full Moon Wo Sagashite
    Tokyo Mew Mew
    School rumble
    UFO Princess Valkyrie
    Somedays Dreamers
    Burst Angel
    Disgaea
    Ouran high School host club
    Yami To Bushi to Hon No Tabibito
    Shuffle
    He Is My Master
    Mahou Shoujo Tai
    Welcome to the NHK
    Yumeria
    Kage Kara Mamoru
    Rozen Maiden

That should keep me busy for a while @-@

Kiss The Crystal Grace Alyssa is just really nice Alyssa is just really nice Alyssa is just really nice Alyssa is just really nice Alyssa is just really nice Alyssa's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-08-2004 05:45 AM
    Threads

I wouldn't mind living with my parents actually - it's worth it definitely over the long run. Gotta save a little to spend a little, ne?

However, I wish I did live in campus, but I guess living with somebody and hardly paying the rent saves you a lot of good money in the long run. If I did live in campus, it would cost me at least $40,000 over two years - however, that money could be used for something beneficial like opening up your own business, etc. etc.

Better to stay out of debt than be in debt, ne?

That's why I would rather prefer spending it on a nice place - it pays to spoil yourself after you earn your college/university degree! ^^
    Last edited by Alyssa; 12-02-2004 at 02:50 PM.

Pursuing My Dreams... Fulfilling My Heart... Desiring My Fantasies... - Alyssa
    AG Member since 2002, Minitokyo's Lightwing Extraordinaire.

The Death of You Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-28-2009 10:16 AM
    Threads

I only lived in a dorm when I went to NYU. I don't live in one anymore. I have my own house now, so...yeah.

Hmm... Those really your only options? Well then... I'd look into the nearby apartments and such, maybe see about sharing a two or three bedroom one with fellow students to cut down on costs. Compare the cost of the apartment (don't forget bills and such, also divided up amongst the roomies) to the cost of the different on-campus choices. If it costs less than the "new" dorms, I'd say go for it. If it costs about the same or more than the "new" dorms, then I say just stick to on-campus life for now. And, if you're REALLY worried about costs, then I suggest ya either stay where you are, or become a frat boy.

--
    Goes by: Death, Tod, or Shi

Junior Member hybridçÑanime is on a distinguished road hybridçÑanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-26-2006 05:47 PM
    Threads

im going 2 NJIT

I AM ALWAYS ALONE

The Death of You Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-28-2009 10:16 AM
    Threads

Um...that's nice to hear, hybrid, but that has nothing to do with this thread... o_O

--
    Goes by: Death, Tod, or Shi

The Sweetheart Rikku will become famous soon enough Rikku's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-23-2005 06:41 PM
    UC Santa Barbara. SB/OC where the drama happens.
    Threads

Old topic I know, and I did want to start another kind of topic about college, so I figured Id just place it here. hehehe.

Since a lot of us (or other people) may be in college or going to attend college real soon next fall or semester, dorming isnt that hard. =) I live in campus and im dorming in right now, my space is kinda big for me, and I have my proper stuff like desk, computer, closet, kitchen, and bathroom. It's kinda neat getting away from my parents actually.

But to answer the first quiestion, from what i think. I'd rather live in a nice space because from a cramped room, I can't study or it will just make me all sick for some reason. So living in a good college dorm room would be a greater choice.

(for anymore college related stuff, just feel to PM me) =D
    ! WARNING !
    PROPERTY OF BEAN BANDIT
    + + +
    Angel of Hell. Devil of Heaven

RIKKU OF THE SOLDATS ROYAL FAMILY - VETERAN OF TMDC

Closed Thread

Thread Information