AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Got Sailor Moon dub DVDs

Senior Member ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-27-2014 07:48 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Got Sailor Moon dub DVDs

Just recently I got myself the 1995 dub of Sailor Moon on DVD. After watching it despite the cheesy dialouge and less than sub-par acting, I can never find myself to hate this dub and it's been like 6 or 7 years since I last watched it. I guess maybe it's because this is the version that captured me into such a good series. Even though they changed the names and highly edited it and put in "Sailor Says," I still think it captures the true spirit of Sailor Moon.

The Saban DBZ dub on the other hand............will always suck with stupid lines like "I'M SENDING YOU TO THE NEXT DIMENSION" rather than saying "I'll send you into oblivion" like how Queen Beryl said.

Anyway, forever live the 1995 Sailor Moon dub.

Check out my anime reviews at: http://www.youtube.com/grapplerjmo

Just Some Color Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-15-2014 05:07 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Have you seen it in Japanese? It's VERY difficult to go back once you have ^^;; The mood, the tone, some of the themes...it's all different. I'm also a HUGE seiyuu fan. They someone always seem to put more of themselves in than the English voice actors do.

Senior Member ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Have you seen it in Japanese?
    I have seen and own every season and movies on DVD. Just got the dub for nostalgic reasons

Just Some Color Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Ah. I suppose I was struck by you saying the "Sailor Says" segments caught the spirit of Sailor Moon. I think that's true of the dub and the dub alone. For the original and dub are great in their differences.

Gil
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

In addition to owning the entire anime, I've also read all 18 volumes of the manga and I've only read volume 1 of Sailor V.

Sailor Says I can recall is the last time a show ever had a Public Service Announcement (I thought G.I. Joe's was the best). I wouldn't say it standardized anime dubbing (ie, giving accents like Molly/Naru's New York accent and Amy/Ami's British accent and Luna soundling like an old lady) but compared to half *** job dubbs (and horribly edited) like One Piece and Shaman King, I'd take Sailor Moon anyday.

I think in the anime community another dub that tends to be highly tolerated despite some significant changes is Ronin Warriors/Samurai Troopers. I would categorize Sailor Moon to have that kind of regard despite the changes it had. I watched the last episode of season 1 dub and compared it with the Japanese one (which was 2 episodes) and noticed how they kept on jumping around with Sailor Moon and Prince Endymion's final scene and they just edited a lot of the direct contact of the fight. I found that anime's dubbing more tolerant in comparison to Saban's DBZ.

Also, the episode where they go to the ball, I found it stupid that they edited the part where they fell and at the end of the season, they had a flashback of them falling off the balcony and Usagi/Serena is about to open the umbrella.

Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Mm, I remember seeing that scene at the end of the season and thinking, "When did THAT happen??"

I found Sailor Moon's dub more than tolerable...until I saw it subtitled. They really are drastically different shows. I wouldn't mind the dub if I could remind myself that it's NOT the same as the original, and that I shouldn't compare.

Gil
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yeah, the dub after watching the original Japanese version makes you want to forget it. Then again, that applies to the majority of anime in comparison to English dubs and original Japanese dialouge. Sailor Moon is of course no exception since it has a really good seiyuu cast (especially Midorikawa Hikaru in the first part of Sailor Moon R as Ali/Allen and Fiore in the movie). At least it didn't have a horrible rap like One Piece did and actually had the song in terms of melody true to the original Moonlight Densetsu.

I don't find the dub at all bad after watching it again after past five years. We could have had worse. ESPECIALLY if we ended up with Haim Saban's version to Sailor Moon. It would probably take some of us a lot longer to get into the original anime.

Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I'm rather more partial to Ogata Megumi myself ^_~ (young Mamoru from the R movie, Petz, various "monsters," and the lovely Haruka) Then there's the tragic passing of the woman who voiced Seiya. Not to mention the unfortunate news that Tomizawa Michie (Rei) is no longer doing seiyuu work.

I'm a teeny bit obsessed with voices, and there are SO many talented folks in that show. Unbelievably so. It's hard to watch anything replacing them and not feel shorted.

Gil
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I heard SEGA was devastated when Tomizawa Michie retired I think 2 years ago. She played an important role in the Sakura Taisen gaming series. The person who played Star Fighter/Seiya is Niiyama Shiho, passed away five years ago to leukemia, she was a month away from turning 30.

And defeintley don't forget Prof. Tomoe's seiyuu, the legenedary Kamiya Akira (I never saw any new Sailor Moon dubs after that 1995 one was canceled). I haven't even bothered once changing the track on my S, Super S, or movie DVDs.

But I just watch the 1995 one because it was the one that started it all for me personally and maybe a lot of the fans here. After it was canceled, I immediatly got raws and fansubs of the series (distributed them to family and friends after I got the DVDs).

Saban's version was a major disgrace to the entire franchise. The changes in the DiC version were of course more understandable since they were appealing to a non-Japanese audience (though they kept the Japanese writings and typical anime characterisitics).

I remember when I first heard Zoicite (played by Nanba Keiichi) in the Japanese version and learning more in depth that it was actually a man. I also didn't get the change from Kunzite to Malacite still.

When you said you had a change of feelings of the dub after watching the Japanese version, I also found a lot of let downs of the anime after I read the manga. But in the anime, I liked how they developed the Shi Tenno, especially Nephlyte with Naru. But I would have preferred it in the anime if

they also kept the decoy of Sailor Venus as the princess like how the manga and live action did, and how for awhile, Mamoru isn't aware of being Tuxedo Mask until he gets a rainbow crystal.

[Please use the spoiler tags ^^ -Reiako]
    Last edited by Fabala; 05-07-2005 at 12:05 AM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information